"Because I Can" Team - Standard OU

Well, this is my first RMT, and I am not exactly the most experienced battler. I started battling competitively in Gen IV, but I didn't stick with it. I was actually pretty good, but I took about 9 months off from battling. With Gen V coming into shape, I decided to give it a whirl. Since this is my first RMT, please, spare me no criticism. I want to become great, and I need help in order to achieve that. This team is filled with some of my favorite Pokemon. ^^

Edits will be in red.

At a glance:

The Lead

Swampert (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Waterfall

This little girl has been a pretty decent lead for me. I never even considered using Swampert in Gen IV, but I gave her a shot in Gen V. She Sets up SR pretty easily, and then can either switch out, or Roar. Roar is a great move for me. I love using it to annoy the opponent, and get some free SR damage. Earthquake and Waterfall are there to cover some weaknesses. Idk if this is the best set for my team though, and if anyone has any suggestions for Swampert, or a new lead altogether, feel free to speak up.

Special Powerhouse

Borutorosu (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Mischievous Heart
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder Bolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave

I love, love, love this guy. He has helped me out alot in this metagame. He can dish out so much damage, and Mischievous Heart is a great ability. It allows me to set up Nasty Plot and then sweep away. HP Ice is necessary for some of the dragons, rock, and grass. TBolt is there for a huge STAB, +2 hit.
Thunder Wave is for crippling the opponents sweepers. This Pokemon decimates Rain Teams for me, cause it is just a beast.

Mammoth Powerhouse

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

This guy will be in my teams forever more. Seriously. I love it. People say Mamo is overrated, but they are the ones who get swept by him. He is a hauss. He has perfect type coverage, and can OHKO alot of the Metagame if they come in on SR. Blissey fails against this beast, Salamence is wrecked, and everything else is dented hard. Stone Edge for some of those pesky flyers, Earthquake is for a hard-hitting STAB, and Superpower is to takeout steel, normal, and dark. Heatran is beaten if it isn't scarfed. I love this thing. It is perfect, and not up to be replaced. He always takes out at least 2 opposing Pokes.

My New Toy

Urugamosu (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Butterfly Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Flame Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]

One Butterfly Dance, and this thing wreaks utter HAVOC on teams. Lait@s falls hard to a boosted Bug Buzz, as does TTar. If I am lucky enough to get in two Butterfly Dances, even things that resists Flame Dance/Bug Buzz are either OHKO'd or left for dead (Especially with SR up). HP Ground is to ensure I'm not walled by other Fire types, and it catches some teams off guard. This beasty has swept entire teams alone. I am very pleased with it. ^^

The New Guy

Porygon2 @ Evolution Stone
Trait: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

I love some of the new items in Gen V. Evolution Stone makes Porygon2 a monster. It takes Close Combats from Infernape, and Lucario like a champ. The Bolt/Beam combo is epic on him. He takes a lot by surprise with that, and if all fails, Toxic, stall with Recover, repeat. I love how this thing has become viable now. It's pretty much an amazing addition to my team. It gets a few great KO's as the match gets down to the close. ^^ I'm pretty happy with it as well.

Rapid Spinner/Support

Forretress (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Volt Change
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Payback

Ahhh yes. Forry has been a very nice addition to my team. ^^ She clears the field for my sweepers to come in unharmed so they can do their thing with ease. It's definitely a welcome thing. I also like the support I get from her. Volt Change allows me to be able to use Leftovers instead of Shed Shell. Payback is there cause of Sturdy. It comes in handy when something SD's up on me then hits me with a Super Effective move, leaving me with 1HP and hitting them with a hard Payback. I prefer it over Exploding. ^^

Benched

The Oddball

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Swords Dance
- ExtremeSpeed

Well, there she is. My team. it has done pretty well against people. I roughly win 6 out of every 10 matches, so it's not horrible. Just needs some polishing. Well, I thank you all in advance! ^^​

Hmm, I think Lucario can stay as you have Gliscor covered to a large extent (which happens to be Lucario counter #1 floating about at the moment due to Doryuuzu abuse). You might consider a Rapid Spinner over Lucario anyway since Urgamoth and Voltolos to some extent appreciate Stealth Rock gone from the field.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Change Mamoswine's nature to Jolly. Most Heatran run max Speed and will get the jump on you with Fire Blast if they ever have to face him down.

Hi, the EVs on P2 are inefficient. Since you're relying on it to take hits from Lati@s, Doryuuzu and the like, I suggest you try a spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD which should give you balanced bulk.

I second the use of a Rapid Spinner - you're running both Urugamosu and Mamoswine, who are weak to it, as well almost your entire team being vulnerable to spikes and able to be poisoned by T-Spikes. I hesitate to recommend you one in particular though, because I'm not sure what threatens your team most. Just a small major threat list would be pretty handy in that regard.

EDIT: Herp on my part, Mamo is indeed neutral to SR. Thanks Smash.

Actually Mamo is neutral to SR.

Anyways I'd reccomend Icicle Drop over Stone Edge on Mamoswine, as it is stronger and you have flyers covered mostly.

Wow! Great Advice. ^^

So, I considered a Forretress as my Rapid Spinner... any ideas as to what set?

Also, I switched the EV's of P2, and Nature of Mamo.

Btw, since switching the EV's of P2, should I do something different with his Moveset?

May I suggest Tentacruel as a spinner? He deals with a good amount of Water, Rock, and Fighting type moves that could potentially give you trouble, and he automaticly eliminates Toxic Spike upon the switch.

Ok, so either this:

Forretress (F) @ Shed Shell
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Payback

or,

Tentacruel (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Electric]

If you're going to drop lucario, I'd most likely go with Forretress since he can easily switch in while on your team due to its good type synergy, while being neutral to spikes, unlike Tentacruel.

Hello, nice team. However, I'm confused as to your Porygon2. Why run Thunderbolt when you can run Discharge? Sure, Thunderbolt has superior power, but Discharge has a nifty 30% paralysis rate which can come useful when facing a boosting sweeper.

Hello, nice team. However, I'm confused as to your Porygon2. Why run Thunderbolt when you can run Discharge? Sure, Thunderbolt has superior power, but Discharge has a nifty 30% paralysis rate which can come useful when facing a boosting sweeper.
I suppose because he has a Priority T-Wave on Borutoresu? And/or because he will now be running T-Spikes and may prefer to Toxic many things.

I think Forry is a good choice, but have you considered running Volt Change on him? I say this for several reasons. One is that T-Spikes hitting something you need to paralyse could turn out badly for you, so you could drop them if they aren't needed. Another is that it lets you take off the Shed Shell (which I assume is only for Magnezone) and still be able to escape whilst retaining leftovers recovery, which works nicely with Sturdy for coming in on hazards. So yeah, I'd either advise trying it over T-Spikes or Payback (possibly, as you could scout for ghosts and switch to an appropriate counter for it). It may not work well for you, but it's a cool new option.

My last bit of advice would be to consider altering your Urugamosu to the Max Def Butterfly Dancer, who can very easily boost up in the face of former threats, but it's pretty much up to you.

I suppose because he has a Priority T-Wave on Borutoresu? And/or because he will now be running T-Spikes and may prefer to Toxic many things.

I think Forry is a good choice, but have you considered running Volt Change on him? I say this for several reasons. One is that T-Spikes hitting something you need to paralyse could turn out badly for you, so you could drop them if they aren't needed. Another is that it lets you take off the Shed Shell (which I assume is only for Magnezone) and still be able to escape whilst retaining leftovers recovery, which works nicely with Sturdy for coming in on hazards. So yeah, I'd either advise trying it over T-Spikes or Payback (possibly, as you could scout for ghosts and switch to an appropriate counter for it). It may not work well for you, but it's a cool new option.

My last bit of advice would be to consider altering your Urugamosu to the Max Def Butterfly Dancer, who can very easily boost up in the face of former threats, but it's pretty much up to you.
Actually, I had considered this. T-Spikes is kind of useless, as I have Toxic on P2. I think I'll replace it with Volt Change. Also, I like your idea about Urugamosu. I will definitely try this out. I have noticed that it gets hit harder than I would like. What is the set?

OH, and I LOVE having Forry around. When Urugamosu can come in without entry hazards, it's fun fun fun. Especially when people switch to a "counter" I took out a Hippowdon with Urugamosu earlier, as I had boosted twice with it. Not a lot can stand in it's way really.

Actually, I had considered this. T-Spikes is kind of useless, as I have Toxic on P2. I think I'll replace it with Volt Change. Also, I like your idea about Urugamosu. I will definitely try this out. I have noticed that it gets hit harder than I would like. What is the set?

OH, and I LOVE having Forry around. When Urugamosu can come in without entry hazards, it's fun fun fun. Especially when people switch to a "counter" I took out a Hippowdon with Urugamosu earlier, as I had boosted twice with it. Not a lot can stand in it's way really.
See! Give a spinner, get a winner! And a lower chance of encountering rapists like Tyrannitar.

I think you can changed Mamo's ability to Thick Fat because they are or already have release one via an event. I think its also the DW ability. If not, I suggest changing it to Sand Veil, its better than Oblivious.

I think you can changed Mamo's ability to Thick Fat because they are or already have release one via an event. I think its also the DW ability. If not, I suggest changing it to Sand Veil, its better than Oblivious.
Well, I don't play in DW. lol Thanks for the advice though. ^^

Sand veil is better than oblivious
but since thats not an ability that mamo can have, its kind of a moot point
Mamos abilities are Oblicious, Snow cloak, and Thick fat in Dream world.
Mamo is released in Dream world, so thick fat is legal, and its best option, but that means no superpower, so snowcloak is your best bet
its never going to help you, but its still more helpful than oblivious

The set is exactly as it sounds lol, simply put all EVs in HP/Def and run a Bold nature. Keep your moveset as Flame Dance is better to grab more boosts, but as per usual consider adapting your HP if you feel its coverage is lacking. You can run Morning Sun over the third move, but without Sun I wouldn't advise it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)