Bejewelled: Genies Strike Again!

Like it or love it?

• Total voters

After playtesting it to some extent, I have had a complete rethink of this team. I am really unsure about what to put after my lead, so help there would be nice. And it actually does work: just the odd loss here and there, but otherwise, amazing.
Oh, and now #87 on SkarmBliss po server and rising (was #201 this morning to show you the scale)!

Voltolos @ Electric Jewel
Mischievous Heart
Timid: 252 Sp At/252 Spd/4 HP
-Discharge
-Knock Down
-Taunt
-Protect

Landlos @ Normal Gem
Sand Power (Landlos cannot have Sheer Force except in Dream World)
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Protect
-Explosion
Adamant: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
The two genies have proved themselves useful in single battles already. But in a double battle team, they just get a whole new perspective on what it means to be an excellent pokemon. The three genies are unbanned, which is useful, and their types complement each other really well; Landlos is immune to Discharge, Voltolos is immune to Earthquake: rather like Zapdos/Garchomp. Except there are a few beneits. For example, Voltolos has Grass Knot, although I'm not using it. Landlos has Explosion (WTF?! It's a genie!) which can rip a team apart, especially in double battles. So anyway, on with the team. Voltolos has Knock Down, which complements Landlos nicely, allowing Landlos to hit opposing Voltolos. It also has taunt, combining with Mischievous Heart to stop annoying setup pokemon like Trick Room, Ulgamoth's Butterfly Dance and Tabunne before they can do anything threatening.
As for Landlos, he has Rock Slide to destroy flying types, and also has Outrage for hitting Ononokus really hard. I have replaced Outrage with Protect for Trick room/Tailwind staaling where Taunt fails. Explosion is just there for the purpose of destroying something. If Landlos cannot use Explosion, please correct me and I will change that for something else. I'm not so sure about Battery on Landlos. Every time it gets hit by Discharge, its attack raises........ or does it? The big dilemma is that I don't think that Battery will work because Landlos is immune to electricity. I have now changed it for Normal Gem, because Landlos does not get the raise from Battery.

Tornaleos @ Flying Jewel
Adamant: 252 Atk/252 Spd/4 Def
-Tailwind
-Substitute
-Protect
-Acrobat
Tornaleos helps this team above-and-beyond what Archeos/Tabunne could. Seriously. Acrobat OHKOes even defensive Morubareru (factoring in Flying Jewel). Substitute and Protect let it stall loads and Tailwind gives the team a late-game speed boost. It's flying-typing allows it to surprise a foe by taking the place of Voltolos on an Earthquake (although I'm not quite sure why :P) and it just makes such an awesome addition to the team.

Sazandora @ Dragon Jewel
Lonely: 252 Atk/252 Sp At/4 Def
-Draco Meteor
-Earthquake
-Protect
-Crunch
This thing is... well, let's say, the pokemon I'm willing to give up most. Still, its moves are good-ish, Draco Meteor OHKOing Roobushin - although HH Mach Punch always OHKOes me. I'm desperately looking for a replacement, a ghost-type flying resist is much helpful. The moves are very self-explanatory.
Protect really fills a hole in my team. It used to be Rock Slide but it just wasn't going anywhere. Sazy is now more the pokemon than any other that I have him for: immunity to Earthquake and very good typing (Burungeru's going nowhere now!)

This team is tailwind-weak, I'll admit, but only if my opponent's running Erufuun or Fake Out. I just have to 'tect stall until it fades, which is annoying.

As always, any tips are much appreciated, thanks.

I have not seen you practice at all so I can't say too much, but your team is very TR weak and TR teams have absolutely no difficulty setting up. Tabunne is a waste if you have absolutely no attacking moves and Mushaana outclasses it. I've had Kojondo Archeos leads be pretty good with their power and the possibility for a double Rock Slide and the fact that Kojondo gets Wide Guard.

Replace Randorosu's Outrage with Protect and use Normal Jewel as the item. Much more effective. Also for Voltolos use Thunderbolt instead of Discharge as well as HP Ice instead of Knock Down and replace Taunt with Thunder Wave. Shibi might be able to do the job better though with less weaknesses and helps with your giant Trick Room weakness.

You clearly know nothing about what it's like to play a double team. It seems as if you're seeing it from a single battle perspective. Knock Down is useful and Discharge hits both foes, giving it a significantly higher damage output than Thunderbolt. And if you think my team is TR weak, I certainly will not replace Taunt. If any more people agree with you then I will change, but until then, I think you're a noob.

sandman

Bum bum bum bum
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I agree with Human's changes. I don't know how effective the Knock Down move is but any Wide Guard user completely walls both your leads and without knowing your other two pokemon, Trick Room does run through this team if all you have afterwards is an Archeos without even Protect or Sash. Anger Powder and Mental Herb's new effect make Trick Room pretty much guaranteed so Taunt for Thunder Wave isn't a bad idea.

I don't know if I'd go as far as to recommend Shandera for your team who can Imprison Trick Room or set it up to counter Tail Wind Teams, and after you Imprison Protect, Landlos's Explosion becomes unavoidable unless your opponent has a Ghost.

Alright, I might have to explain Knock Down a bit better:

Knock Down
Type: Rock
Category: Physical
Power: 50
Accuracy: 100
Added effects: If the target is Flying/has Levitate, it loses its immunity to Ground type attacks.

This is especially helpful considering I'm somewhat likely to play Earthquake a lot.
Thanks for the Shandera tip, though. I could really use that.

Fantom0, trust me, I am probably more than 100% better than you at VGC. Listen to my suggestions, and who you lost to and how you lost is no exception. I lost in the T32 of Newark Regional, so what! Either way I was at worlds! *not really but I helped someone do really well at Worlds by helping him with his team and he NN'd a pokemon after me*

ThunderBolt to begin with gets OHKOs that Discharge misses by a lot, and Discharge is only effective with one pokemon on your team and you don't have Protect on the other. HP Ice is extremely useful against Randorosu, Sazandora, Ononokusu, ect. especially seeing you are weak to Tailwind and if you say otherwise your opinion is completely void.

Taunt is useless in this metagame, if they use Morobareru then Taunt is useless for stopping TR, it is almost infinitely better to just attack. Thunder Wave helps immensely against Tailwind and it is very difficult to play against it sometimes and HP Ice and Thunder Wave lets you ruin many of the past pokemon in the game seeing that Randorosu goes down to a HP Ice.

Also Landlos doesn't get Sheer Force/Encourage, it gets Sand Power. You gave it a DW Ability, and even more Outrage is useless on Randorosu and Protect is much better, and give it Normal Jewel if you use Explosion, Explosion's damage output is not that great this generation with it.

Once against Kojondo to replace Tabunne, Tabunne is an absolutely crap pokemon, and Archeos will probably be better off with Flight Jewel Acrobat and Rock Slide with Protect and a filler.

Finally Imprison Shandera can be a good idea to Imprison TR, not Protect because then you lose a key move. A Fake Out lead with Imprison Shandera is a great way to guarantee they don't get TR up. The Kojondo Archeos was something Ruben used once, someone who participated in Worlds, which seemed like something that can go well on your team. And please don't question me when my first VGC 2011 team was much better than yours, would link to the RMT but that would be advertising and got infracted for a small mistake which I didn't edit fast enough, and I had a much better run than you in VGC 2010 and people know me in the VGC community.

DeagleBeagle

Banned deucer.
Fantom0, mental herb stops taunt, and about tbolt versus discharge, go with discharge if you are using landlos. It does a lot more net damage than tbolt and you got an electric immunity. This thread turned into a flame war when it didn't need to be. Just calm down people.

Fantom0, mental herb stops taunt, and about tbolt versus discharge, go with discharge if you are using landlos. It does a lot more net damage than tbolt and you got an electric immunity. This thread turned into a flame war when it didn't need to be. Just calm down people.
You make two good points, Discharge can be the superior option, if he goes with the other team changes as well, but I still find that Thunderbolt gives a lot of advantages you miss out otherwise. Some advantages I can think of would be Electric Jewel Thunderbolt OHKO'ing Min HP/SpD Voltolos, Max HP Burungeru and many more pokemon where Discharge misses the KO. Thunderbolt also gets a lot more 2HKOs like a 2HKO on LO Zuruzukin and Thunderbolt Earthquake with Adamant Randorosu KOs Roobushin and so the power difference is notable, although there is less net damage between Thunderbolt and Discharge the damage done to the single target can make up for it, as you get more KO meaning you are attacked less often anyways and can get the KO against the other pokemon a turn later.

Second point you're right about is that it was turning into a flame war, so for that I apologize to Fantom0, but please next time don't call people noobs and insult them for no reason.
"If any more people agree with you then I will change, but until then, I think you're a noob." What did people agreeing with me have to do with anything involving your opinion about me? Also, calling people a noob is a low blow here, especially when you are the new person to forums and no one knows you.
"You clearly know nothing about what it's like to play a double team. It seems as if you're seeing it from a single battle perspective." Don't assume, especially when you must have barely read my post because it showed knowledge about doubles.

Sorry about being a bit harsh. I was out of my place to say it and I'm sorry. But the reason I use Taunt > Thunder Wave is because of Trick Room. And Mental Herb is almost never used. Plus, if you Taunt a user of TailWind/Trick Room/Anger Powder, it can't use that attack. And it certainly helps against Morubeamu as if you Taunt it, it can't use Spore/just about any attack it's good for.

Discharge is again helpful > Thunderbolt because not only does it get more net damage, but a 1 in 3 chance of paralysis is not good for anyone. (Except for me, of course!)

So what if not everyone uses Trick Room? As seen at Worlds 2010, Trick Room is easily one of the biggest threats out there. Every team needs a good counter. That's why I'm using Taunt.

Imprison Mushaana would be a great addition to your team replacing Tabunne. Mushaana is more bulky, it gets Helping Hand, Imprison Trick Room, Psychic and its ability is Telepathy, if you do this change then I would say keep Discharge, your team synergy was just too bad to even consider using it right now. Even more you should really try my suggestion for Archeos, I have seen it be very effective with many leads being weak to Rock or Flying so it can OHKO most, you can give it Protect as I said and then a filler, which can be Dragon Claw or Stone Edge or Earthquake, and Kojondo makes a great lead with both Mushaana for stopping TR and for Archeos to keep it above 50% HP.

Remember you can bring six pokemon, choose four and change the order of the pokemon you are using.

I like that. Maybe when I finally decide to try some sort of online simulator, I'll try it out. But should I have Shandera or Mushaana? They both do sort of the same thing: imprison Trick Room for Archeos.

Oh yeah, and going back to what you said about Dream World... Telepathy is Mushaana's Dream world ability, so I might use Deskaan instead. He too has Trick Room/Imprison but he has loads more bulk than Mushaana and Shandera.

Seeing that this is not a Tailwind or Trick Room team you can use the Helping Hand boost much better with Mushaana and the attacks are not going to be important most of the time, Psychic is so it won't be Taunt bait, but the main thing about that is Morobareru (Mushroom) because then you don't have anything that can OHKO that. Flight Jewel Acrobat from Archeos remedies this problem and once again try that, a full offense Archeos is not that effective, especially when a pokemon like Kojondo can make much better use of it and can fill a niche on your team.

I don't entirely need to be able to OHKO Morobareru, because

Taunt>Thunder Wave

Taunt stops him using Anger Powder, Spore, whatever, and he's not exactly going to try an attack move because it doesn't do much.

I would personally remove Balloon from Tabuune and give her a Chople Berry. That way, she can take hits from Roopushin, Kojondo, the 3 Muskateers, etc. Fighting types are very common in this metagame, especially Roopushin. Otherwise, pretty nice team! :)

Two things:
1) Fighting isn't all that common in doubles (the only pokemon who might actually see some play is Roob who would probably OHKO Tabunne regardless)
2) Balloon means Tabunne is immune to Archeos's Earthquake, making it more usable.

I never got round to Deskaan! Here he is, the weird sarcophagus guy:

Deskaan @ Leftovers
Calm: 252 Sp Df/52 Def/200 HP
-Trick Room
-Imprison
-Power Share
-Guard Share
Deskaan is my utility pokemon/anti-TR. When nessecary, I put him next to Voltolos, then I Taunt the Moruberaru (or whatever has Anger Powder) then Imprison Trick Room (remember TR has less than 0 priority). If Anger Powder guy has Mental Herb, I just priority Taunt him again (coutesy of Mischievous Heart). Power Share is for swapping Deskaan's awful attack with someone else's awesome attack and make them a poor attacker, and Guard Share is to give one of my pokemon a serious defense boost. Attacks are not needed on Deskaan as, if a Taunter comes out, I just Taunt them first (Mischievous Heart!)

Two things:
1) Fighting isn't all that common in doubles (the only pokemon who might actually see some play is Roob who would probably OHKO Tabunne regardless)
2) Balloon means Tabunne is immune to Archeos's Earthquake, making it more usable.
Fighting is extremely common in this metagame actually. There are so many weaknesses to fighting, Zuruzukin, Kojondo, Terakion, Nageki, and Birijion (Virizion) are all common.

I never got round to Deskaan! Here he is, the weird sarcophagus guy:

Deskaan @ Leftovers
Calm: 252 Sp Df/52 Def/200 HP
-Trick Room
-Imprison
-Power Share
-Guard Share
Deskaan is my utility pokemon/anti-TR. When nessecary, I put him next to Voltolos, then I Taunt the Moruberaru (or whatever has Anger Powder) then Imprison Trick Room (remember TR has less than 0 priority). If Anger Powder guy has Mental Herb, I just priority Taunt him again (coutesy of Mischievous Heart). Power Share is for swapping Deskaan's awful attack with someone else's awesome attack and make them a poor attacker, and Guard Share is to give one of my pokemon a serious defense boost. Attacks are not needed on Deskaan as, if a Taunter comes out, I just Taunt them first (Mischievous Heart!)
Taunt Bait, just use Imprison Shandera, better for your team and Power Share and Guard Share are gimmicks which probably won't work even against noobs.

Fair enough, fighting is pretty common.
Deskaan isn't Taunt bait, because
Taunt>Thunder Wave
Mischievous Heart means Voltolos outspeeds any other Taunter, and Taunts them first. And not a lot of people give a Taunter Mental Herb.

Does it? Oh well. I'll just Taunt whenever nessecary. I mean, what the hell, it's not as if it really matters that much.

I took this team to pokemon online (SkarmBliss's server) as you see it, and it did surprisingly well. I won a few more games than I lost, but I still have problems against Trick Room Burungeru. However, that's like the only problem I have at the moment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)