SM LC Blast from the Past

Introduction

So I've been getting back into LC after basically skipping XY, and decided to try to see if good old fashioned tactics work. Sure enough, I've managed to do pretty well all things considered, but I'm sure there's stuff I'm missing, so really any advice/comments would be great! The team has done well (I've maintained top 200 on the ladder consistently), but I'm curious about what you lads will think. So without further ado, here comes a Blast from the Past.

Teambuilding Process

I started off with easily the most safe LC pokemon available. A staple since its creation, Mienfoo was the definition of a safe bet.

Pawniard was another classic I couldn't help but include. These two together are a strong physical attacking core with good utility, speed, and stopping power.

To round out the attacking half of my team I of course needed a special sweeper and and Abra fit in well to the Dark/Fighting/Psychic I seemed to be making.

Larvesta/Staryu/Lileep formed a bulky FWG core that could be relied upon to stop physical attackers, set and remove hazards, and provide enough sustain and endurance that I would always have something healthy and ready to take a hit for one of my starting three.

The Team

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Fake Out
Ahh Mienfoo, tried and true, never ceases to amaze. Decent speed, decent bulk, plus sustain from Drain Punch and Regenerator means this little guy is here to stay. Knock off is must have utility, U-Turn is good synergy and Fake Out provides finishing potential + consistant free damage.

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
Another classic, Pawniard is strong potential sweeper with swords dance, and Sucker Punch + Defiant punishes those who would dare Sticky Web. I've never found the lack of Pursuit to be too devestating, as most of the time just the possibility of Pursuit forces opponents to attack as a last ditch effort walking into a Sucker Punch. Knock Off for obvious utility, and Iron Head as a consistant STAB and coverage.

Abra @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 36 Atk / 240 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Protect
Abra seems really strong this format, with fantastic offensive stats and great coverage. The Focus Sash + Magic Guard basically guarantees he gets a shot off, and HP Fighting means with the exception of Munchlax he can handle most anti-psychic threats. Careful removal of counters can easily let this guy sweep.

Larvesta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Def / 156 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
Bulky Larvesta is honestly a godsend against the usual Mienfoo/Pawniard/Timburr/Scraggy/other 99% of the meta. He can take hits, recover, pivot, and burn all in one. STAB Flare Blitz is scary for most things, and Flame Body means he can be a punishing switch in on physical attackers. Eats Fake Out, Knock Off, Drain Punch, and honestly most physical moves without much trouble. Even with 4x Stealth Rocks he can reliably fit in a Morning Sun at some point.

Staryu @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Def / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Psychic
- Recover
Staryu fits well into a FWG core and fits a much more defensive role on the team. Natural Cure + Recover keep him healthy, and Rapid Spin clears hazards. With all the Knock Off + Psychic on the team Ghost types never really seem to keep him at bay for long, and I'm not sure Defog would offer many more benefits, so for now I'm content. STAB Scald is heavenly and his high speed guarantees he beats most of the meta. Psychic also helps clear Poison types, which can give Mienfoo and Pawniard some trouble.

Lileep @ Eviolite
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 228 HP / 140 Def / 140 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Ancient Power
Rounds out the previously mentioned FWG core and also works as a defensive role. Sets Rocks, and still can take down the typical Onyx/Dwebble shenanigans. STAB Giga Drain stops Shell Smashers, and Ancient Power gives extra STAB coverage (and that sweet 5% chance can lead to some rather devastating plays with all her sustain). I was also looking for something to take on Water types easier and Storm Drain provides. [/FONT][/FONT]

Conclusion

All in all, any advice or info you would be excellent. If my team appears weak to a specific threat I missed, its probably because I didn't know about it :P I tried to make a relatively balanced team with broad coverage. It may not be anything new or flashy but its done well for me thus far. This is also my first RMT, so any tips on formatting or any other tips would be great. Open to any suggestions/feedback, and of course, thanks for reading :)

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Fake Out

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 156 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Abra @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 36 Atk / 240 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Protect

Larvesta @ Eviolite
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Def / 156 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun

Staryu @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Def / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Psychic
- Recover

Lileep @ Eviolite
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 228 HP / 140 Def / 140 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Ancient Power

The largest issue I can see is the fact that Rufflet, if Hustle doesn't make it miss, turns your team to goo, as anything that resist Brave Bird is smacked with Superpower. If Lileep was faster, this wouldn't a problem. But as that is a pipe dream, put a Scarfed Chinchou on your team, possibly/probably over Lileep. Chinchou is generally fat enough to tank a hit, and then can out speed and retaliate with Volt Switch or try for a Scald burn. An alternative that more resembles Lileep is a Berry Juice Bronzor. It has Levitate, so Diglett is a non-issue, it can set up rocks and it can Recycle its Berry Juice. Good stuff, and I would personally prefer Bronzor > Chinchou. Here's a nice set, courtesy of PD:

Bronzor @ Berry Juice
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 84 Atk / 228 Def / 148 SpDef / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Recycle
- Earthquake

Thanks for reading :)

Last edited:

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
Hello, and welcome back to LC :)

So first of all, let us start with your Mienfoo set. Fake Out is a very outclassed move on Mienfoo these days, as it really does not do much. I would recommend changing it to Taunt to prevent hazards from coming up or Stone Edge to try to stop hazards from getting up or to try to kill opposing birds/fire types. You often find yourself not really missing Fake Out that much, because it really does not do anything at all.

The Pawniard set is fine, but I would consider changing it to the Life Orb set to help the Pawniard sweep. Life Orb Pawniard hits like a truck and with a Swords Dance boost you will be able to pretty much OHKO a good amount of the tier. Another option that I highly recommend is changing Swords Dance to Stealth Rock. SD Pawniard can be easily stopped by most fighting types, making it inconsistent. Having another Stealth Rocker helps you keep up pressure on the enemy team.

Why do you have 36 Atk EVs on Abra? No reason to have them there.

While Larvesta is quite good, I feel that it is outclassed by Ponyta these days. Ponyta has less weakness to Stealth Rock and sits in a better speed tier than Larvesta. While it may not resist Fighting type moves, it is bulky enough and can also get morning suns in.
Ponyta @ Eviolite
EVs: 76 Atk / 156 Def / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flame Charge

Psychic on Staryu does not really do much on this team. You already have Abra + Ponyta to deal with Fightings. I would recommend changing Psychic to Ice Beam. This will let you get damage on bulky grasses that enjoy switching in on Staryu. You could also change Natural Cure to Analytic to help get more damage off on switch ins.

Lileep and Bronzor are both pretty bad. First off let me explain why Bronzor is a bad choice. You stated in your explanation of Lileep that you wanted something that could deal with water types. Bronzor does not really do this obviously as it does not resist and takes a good chunk of damage from most water types. You also stated in your explanation that you wanted lileep to deal with shell smashers. Most Shell Smashers kill lileep before it does anything unfortunately. Also, you have Pawniard, which can deal with most Shell Smashers these days. Additionally, Lileep has several weaknesses which hinder it a lot such as Fighting and Steel, which does not let it perform its role well. I would change Lileep to Snivy. Snivy does very well in Sun and Moon because its largest counter, Fletchling, is gone. This also keeps the FWG core that you had in the original team. HP ice is useful for hitting things such as Vullaby and Foongus which resist Leaf storm. If you make this change, then you should definitly choose Stealth Rock over SD on Pawniard too so you have some form of hazards.
Snivy @ Eviolite
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Ice

I hope this rate helps! Stick around in LC :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)