Pokémon Blastoise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Dragon Pulse even necessary on M-Blastoise? I'm using Pokegen to generate mine at level 100, and don't really want to transfer it and then have to breed just for Dragon Pulse... I'm thinking about just running Ice Beam since not only does it deal with dragons, it also deals with grass types as well.
Dragon Pulse is unnecessary... but if you transfer, you won't get Aura Sphere, which is arguably one of its more useful moves to hit the likes of Ferrothorn, Tyranitar, etc harder.

Is Dragon Pulse even necessary on M-Blastoise? I'm using Pokegen to generate mine at level 100, and don't really want to transfer it and then have to breed just for Dragon Pulse... I'm thinking about just running Ice Beam since not only does it deal with dragons, it also deals with grass types as well.
I was under the impression that hacked Pokemon won't be transferable. If people manage to find a way, you can bet they'll patch it up, like they did for Instacheck.
Just bite the bullet and go to the Breeding center like the rest of us.

No, Dragon Pulse is unnecessary as it offers very little additional coverage.

HOWEVER,
Aura Sphere is very, very useful as it compliments Dark Pulse nicely and gets a 50% boost from Mega Launcher. However, Blastoise can only learn Aura Sphere through breeding.
I guess you can go with either of these options, as Azumarill will still resist your entire moveset either way.

I was under the impression that hacked Pokemon won't be transferable. If people manage to find a way, you can bet they'll patch it up, like they did for Instacheck.
Just bite the bullet and go to the Breeding center like the rest of us.
There is no way Pokebank will be able to detect perfectly hacked pokemon that are identical to legit ones, but that is off topic so I'll stop here.

@ others that replied, I guess I'll have more than one Blastoise then and get started on the ones with Aura Sphere just in time for Pokebank... thanks!

Dragon Pulse is unnecessary... but if you transfer, you won't get Aura Sphere, which is arguably one of its more useful moves to hit the likes of Ferrothorn, Tyranitar, etc harder.
Meh, Ferrothorn isn't as great as he was before, with powerful threats like Talonflame, Mega Charizard {who cares which}, and other powerful 'mons carrying SE moves. Furthermore, spikes stacking isn't as useful due to nice spinners like Excadrill and le Mega Blastoise running around, as well as Defog, which is easy to fit on a lot of 'mons. He also lost two crucial resists to Dark and Ghost, and can no longer benefit from rain for days. He's not too important.
...Wow, that sounds weird to say. "Ferrothorn is not too important." Jesus.

Tyranitar, yeah, definitely, though a Scald burn is pretty cool. Max/Max AssVest TTar isn't even always 2HKOd by Max/Modest MegaBlastoise Aura Sphere lmao. Such bulk. Hydro Pump's always a 3HKO unless you miss or you're very unlucky with damage rolls, and if you don't get a burn with Scald, it brings up the rear with ~4HKO.

Ice Beam's pretty nice for dem dragons, as well as any grass types dumb enough to switch in, though there honestly aren't many of those, either. Occasional freeze hax is pretty sweet, even if it makes you feel like an asshole.

It's also easier to get onto the Blastoise, particularly if you have Y, as you don't require El Guncrab to get it onto your 'toise. Though that means little for simulator play, it's cool for cartridge shenanigans.

OP needs to be updated to remove Megagar if at all possible, because he got smacked with the banhammer, thank the lawd. Here's hoping for MegaMom and MegaLuke, too, but that's a different topic.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
no one mention fake out on blastoise yet? in case you don't really need rapid spin
Yeah, Fake Out over Rapid Spin <- The main reason why Blastoise even sees use.

If you're not spinning you might as well use Clawitzer, who can hold another item and not use up the Mega-slot.

Yeah, Fake Out over Rapid Spin <- The main reason why Blastoise even sees use.

If you're not spinning you might as well use Clawitzer, who can hold another item and not use up the Mega-slot.
but.. but.. M.blast is way bulkier than clawitzer (faster too), and it break focush sashes
but yeah rapid spin is good too.

Fake Out's an option I guess if you have another Rapid Spinner or defogger. Physical set w/ Earthquake, Aqua Jet/Aqua Tail, and Avalanche/Toxic/Power-Up Punch/Ice Punch/Outrage? Weird, outclassed, but kinda intriguing.

Hey guys, which stat is the least important for mega blastoise? can't decide, i thought the it'd be worth trying to get all perfect ivs, but is the damage from rapid spin worth it? should i go perfect except attack? or maybe perfect except for speed?

Hey guys, which stat is the least important for mega blastoise? can't decide, i thought the it'd be worth trying to get all perfect ivs, but is the damage from rapid spin worth it? should i go perfect except attack? or maybe perfect except for speed?
Attack is the least important. Rapid spin does pathetic amounts of damage anyway.

The extra rapid spin damage might never win you a battle so you don't really need the attack iv. In fact, it may be better to have the 0 attack iv so you take less damage from confusion and foul play

Last edited:
Dunno if this hasn't be talked before, but has anyone tested a Sleep Talk set?

-Scald
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Rapid Spin/Dark Pulse/Aura Sphere

In this set, Rapid Spin support isn't relevant (even the mere presence of Blastoise can make the opponent think is the spinner of the team without thinking the team has any Defoger hidden). The goal would be basically to tank. MegaBlastoise has huge 120/115 defenses which can be exploited to tank, and RestTalk gives it a viable way of recovering health. At the same time, 135 Sp.Atk Scald can hit hard and at the same time cripple enemy physical sweepers or walls. Fourth attack would depend of what the team needs.

Bad thing about this set. While it can be awesome to tank physical sweepers and walls, certain special walls like Chansey, Blissey, or Clefable, are untouchable by this. Also, some special sweepers like Rotom-W or other Pokemon like Gastrodon can counter easily this (yet they fear Scald burning ratio).

-Scald
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

In this set, Rapid Spin support isn't relevant (even the mere presence of Blastoise can make the opponent think is the spinner of the team without thinking the team has any Defoger hidden). The goal would be basically to tank. MegaBlastoise has huge 120/115 defenses which can be exploited to tank, and RestTalk gives it a viable way of recovering health. At the same time, 135 Sp.Atk Scald can hit hard and at the same time cripple enemy physical sweepers or walls. Fourth attack would depend of what the team needs.

Bad thing about this set. While it can be awesome to tank physical sweepers and walls, certain special walls like Chansey, Blissey, or Clefable, are untouchable by this. Also, some special sweepers like Rotom-W or other Pokemon like Gastrodon can counter easily this (yet they fear Scald burning ratio).
good idea, but m.blast has a near perfect offensive set with dark/fighting coverage it become such a waste not to use him right, and with only scald (assuming you're spinning) as an offensive move, you know it's going to be a setup fodder.

To be honest, I am surprised to see all the talk is about a spinning blastoise. I kept all that junk to excadrill, and first tried out an offensive set. Water spout was the star move , because of MBs good defenses. With a good amount of health left from a switch in, it can trash teams, as long as WS isn't resisted. Scald/water pulse is there in case MB has low HP left, or when you need hax to do its job. Aura sphere, duh. And dark or dragon pulse. Dragon pulse is surprisingly more useful for me, but your team will chose the choice of moves, not you.
As for the evs, 252 satk
88+ speed
The Rest is on hp

Has anyone ever ran mega-blastoise with sticky web support from galvantula on a rain team? I noticed there's quite the benefit and flexibility of using say assault vest for tanking with rain dish regeneration, or the mega form for just outright wall breaking power and less often concealing a mega gyarados. I was making my own rain team and I was just about to use starmie for rapid spin support then I realize this beast existed and can fulfill more roles that I want it to fulfill that starmie couldn't for my team. Main question is really just has anyone tried specific EV's that allowed it to out speed certain common threats that they've came across, or is a 252 HP/Sp. Atk the way to go regardless?

Here's a set that I use and that works great for me.

Move 1: rapid spin
Move 2: scald
Move 3: dragon tail
Move 3: ice beam
Item: Assault vest
Ability: torrent/rain dish
EVs: 252hp/252spdef/4spatk
Nature: sassy

It's extremely bulky on the special side and is a great rapid spinner. Rapid spin is the main reason to use this Blastoise set. Scald is there for an attacking move and with a torrent boost (or rain boost if you decide to use rain dish) it does some kind of damage. Dragon tail is there for shuffling and is another way in which Blastoise can support your team. Ice beam is there for bulky grass types and some more coverage. The EVs are there to make it as specially bulky as possible and it can still take physical hits. The nature improves its special defense even further and I put -speed because I wanted dragon tail to at least do some damage esppecially against latias, latios and goodra.

It is a good answer to aegislash, as your opponent assumes you are physically defensive, and a lot of special attackers.

Yeah, in my experiences, I've found physically defensive blastoise very underwhelming.

It's a possible 2KO from any banded earthquake from the top treats in OU

-Scald
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

This is almost identical to CroCune, which I think is both a blessing and a curse. On one hand, you have better coverage (if you're willing to sacrifice Rapid Spin), but you don't have the benefit of Calm Mind boosts. I think this set has a bit more versatility than CroCune, but at the same time, you're also giving up your Mega stone to accomplish a lot of the same things. It is very interesting though, and the surprise factor alone may give it merit.

Has anyone considered a defensive Toxic/protect set?

I've been thinking about it like this:

Blastoise@Leftovers
Nature: Bold
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Ability: Torrent/Rain dish

Moveset:

-Rapid Spin
-Scald/Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Protect

I've seen this before somewhere, but this might actually be a set that works. It's great bulk helps him survive against some heavy dmg opponents. Wearing down an opponent with toxic, stall with protect/heavy bulk.

Throwing the choice between Ice Beam and Scald out there. Most likely, Ice beam is a better fit, because toxic inflicts status already, so the burn would be wasted on scald if you're thinking of running toxic.
I've put the Ice Beam there, because it's a good counter to it's weakness to Grass and Dragon typing.

I'm going for a defensive spinner Blastoise and have bred one that is 31/??/31/31/31/31 with Rain Dish but with a calm nature.
Is this still a viable option or am I better off continuing until I get bold?
I'm only asking because the only female I have is the save IV spread so putting both in together so I could lock the nature would mean having to roll on SpD. So sticking with calm would be a huge time saver, but I thought I'd make sure boosting SpD over Def is still useable.

I have two doubts:

1. Is Water Spout viable in Mega-Blastoise?
2. Almost everybody uses Blastoise as bulky spinner. But I haven't heard of nobody using the mega slot in Blastoise for a total offensive support. Is Mega-Blastoise as offensive sweeper viable? (pretty good water attacks, ''STAB'' in Dark Pulse, Aura Sphere and even Dragon Pulse, access to Ice Beam, 135 base Sp.Attack.

If only it could get Shell Smash...

I have two doubts:

1. Is Water Spout viable in Mega-Blastoise?
2. Almost everybody uses Blastoise as bulky spinner. But I haven't heard of nobody using the mega slot in Blastoise for a total offensive support. Is Mega-Blastoise as offensive sweeper viable? (pretty good water attacks, ''STAB'' in Dark Pulse, Aura Sphere and even Dragon Pulse, access to Ice Beam, 135 base Sp.Attack.

If only it could get Shell Smash...
1. Blastoise is generally too slow to make good use out of Water Spout.

2. Same thing. It won't be sweeping too often with a base 78 Speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)