Boiling Water and Bulky Waters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Introduction:

A move that could change a generation:

TM55 - Boiling Water:
[M503]: Special Water PP: 15 Power: 80 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: May burn opponent. (30%)

Basically this is like Lava Plume, except it hits Pokemon immune to burn for super-effective damage and burns everything else 3 out of every 10 uses. Because Burn halves the attack of opponents, this is an extremely useful move for any Pokemon to have. Bulky Waters are especially adept because they have the bulk to use the attack multiple times, and when its effect succeeds they become even harder to take down.

The only Pokemon that learn Boiling Water are in fact Water types (and only those that do not share an Ice typing on their line, so no Cloyster/Lapras, sorry), Mew, Smeargle (obv), Masquerain, Azurill, Castform, Emboar (yup), and Maggyo (okely).

As this is a special attack, you can cut out pokemon that attack physically like Kingler and Gyarados. This is still a pretty long list though. Here's a few Pokemon that could make use in whatever OU turns out to be, so discuss which ones are your favorites or if you think I missed any important ones:

Tentacruel:

It has massive special defense and decent special attack, so Boiling Water is an excellent move for covering its weak point. Tentacruel isn't usually played as a sweeper, and a lot of Pokemon are immune to the Toxic Spikes it lays. This gives it another way to wear down the opposition.

Vaporeon:

Often forgotten is Vaporeon's excellent special defensive capabilities. Boiling Water can take some stress off of its defense and give it space to be a more capable mixed wall.

Lanturn:

Lanturn is in the same boat as Vaporeon, showcasing excellent Special Defensive prowess but physical vulnerability. Lanturn already has a large repertoire of disruptive moves, and Boiling Water can do double duty, causing massive damage to Ground types trying to exploit its weakness as well as crippling them.

Slowking:
Is there an echo in here? With all the forseeable Fighting-type Offense, Slowking could use a boost as well, and after a Nasty Plot or a Calm Mind Boiling Water can do respectable damage to boot.

Suicune:
People tried in vain to block the powerful boosted Dragon attacks last gen. This generation Suicune can add burn capabilities to its already impressive bulk. What do you do when you switch into CalmCune and it burns you?

Swampert:

Another Pokemon that has tried to capitalize on its defenses. More and more Grass types seem to be getting Water Absorbing abilities, but for everything else, Swampert can wait out and burn when ready.

Milotic:

Milotic is even more Marvelous when it can complement its impressive bulk and recovery with burn capability. It might have conflicting status issues with Hypnosis, but nonetheless, it takes great advantage of a wash-and-burn mantra. Defensively if Boiling Water becomes popular, Milotic can attempt to switch in and activate Marvel Scale. It will still lose 6% HP per turn, but at least it isn't Toxic or Paralysis.

Emboar:

Seriously, you're a Fire type that can smack many of your most common switchins with an 80 BP Water Attack that *still* has Burn effect. It's not your strongest offense, but 100 is a decent base for this kind of coverage move. Quite frankly you get a lot of messed up stuff, including Wild Bolt if a water type think's it's cool to come in on Boiling Water. Be a Man(BearPig) already.

Abagoora:

Rock/Water is still pretty sketchy even if you have Solid Rock and 74/133/65 Defenses. Burn adds that extra buffer that keeps Earthquake and Close Combat from doing critical damage.

Burunkeru:

Water/Ghost with 100/70/105 Defenses is a lot to brag about, but still leaves something to be desired in the face of mostrous Dark types like Tyranitar. Keep that tyrant at bay with the threat of Burn though, and you might be able to escape unharmed.

Mamanbou:

With 165/80/45 defenses, Mamanbou is basically begging for an excuse to invest in Special Defense. Boiling Water's burn relieves pressure on its stronger defense, allowing it to tank for a while. Be cautious though, with only 40 Base SA you aren't going to strike fear into your foes without an alternative form of offense.

Possible Drawbacks:

Everything has Guts these days. They're even handing it out to bush league stuff like Luxray in fantasy worlds for cripes sake. If you've got Fighting resistance then fire (or is it water?) away. There's a lot of Pokemon competing for viability this gen, but a whole lot of them don't like getting burned. Be aware of your opponents team and you should be able to avoid these problems.

This move is also weaker than Surf, but the tradeoff is better than Lava Plume vs. Flamethrower in this instance, since Surf doesn't have an additional effect. Generally if you want to do high damage, Hydro Pump is still superior and should be used on your more offensive Water types.

Might I just note that Milotic alone has the advantage of being able to take advantage of Marvel Scale, should it burn a Synchronize using Boiling Water OR even switch into an enemy bulky water's boiling water? Besides, it won't conflict with Hypnosis if the accuracy is unimproved this generation.

I'm thinking Milotic and Vaporeon will benefit most from this, moreso Milotic because of the already huge discrepancy between its two defensive stats. Boiling Water Burn + Activated Marvel Scale could breath new life into Milotic.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I can see this wreaking havoc in VGC. Scarfcune or Specscruel spamming it paired with mons that aren't affected by it like Toxicroak (hahahaha), or even shedinja. Just like Discharge these past 2 years.

Scarycooltimesman, scarycool.

One of the things that interests me right now is Kyogre and Boiling Water - I have noticed a shift in the game where Kyogre, who used to be used purely as a Choice user to tear things up, has become more defensive, able to take on Pokemon such as Groudon, Jirachi, and sometimes even Rayquaza more easily.

With Kyogre now able to use a 180 BP move (assuming Rain is active from Drizzle) that can burn foe switch-ins, Kyogre is solidifying itself as a major defensive threat in whichever metagame he finds himself placed in, thanks to Calm Mind, good defensive stats, and obviously, Boiling Water.

Other major user of Boiling Water will be the Water/Ghost though, because as you said, it helps keep Tyranitar and even Scizor at bay, thanks to causing Super Effective damage + chance of Burn. Suicune can also use it over Surf to become almost impossible to take down with Calm Mind.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Boiling Water will prove itself to be a fantastic move I think. And unlike with most Lava Plumers who will sorely miss Fire Blast, bulky waters will be delighted to drop Surf for this little beauty. Celebi and Shaymin will become even more valuable as two of the few Pokemon who can switch into bulky waters with next to no concern.

This should help bring the bulky water back to its former glory. They had a tough old time in DPPt thanks to things like Draco Meteor and boosted attacks beating them down but Boiling Water brings a whole new dimension to them.

Very interesting addition!

Oh snap. Vaporeon just got a whole lot better. Gyarados won't like this. Won't like this at all.

Lee said:
Boiling Water will prove itself to be a fantastic move I think.
This. I believe that this move will single-handedly redefine what it means to be a bulky Water-type. Just in case we were worried about power creep and how things like Ononokusu might break through bulky Water-types, we were given this, and now I have no worries at all. I'm very excited to see how this plays out.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
I could definitely see this move replacing Surf on standard movesets just because most bulky Waters don't use Surf for heavy damage, more like when they need to. It's not like Lava Plume vs Flamethrower on Heatran because Heatran's more offensive, so Surf would probably be used only for certain KOes (or Specs Vaporeon lol).

The only problem I see is burning a Pokemon when you want to Toxic it instead, but that probably only will happen with Vaporeon and Milotic.

Also Crocune will be a douche if it gets enough CMs and burns your Pokemon. No KOing with Explosion for you!

I don't understand why the pig learns it...But this is a good move for defensive Waters and a way for even Ono will have a reason not to switch in.He could otherwise switch into weak surfs...This thing makes me happy.

Now Vaporeon can remove Toxic from its set and use HP Electric/Roar ect. (asoming Vaporeon will still be used and all....And the opponent would actually be "scalded" of course =/ )

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is probably the biggest help Gamefreak has given to stall this generation. With Ononokusu reaching 433 attack with a boosting nature, Mold Breaker to hit Levitators with EQ, and DD + SD, it will be a terror to stall teams, especially if it gets Fire Blast to hurt Skarmory. And there are many others like Ononokusu with out-of-this-world stats. Boiling Water allows waters to support their team more than ever and definitely helps for almost all of the pokemon listed, letting them wall/cripple physical attackers much more easily, while retaining their excellent special sponging capabilities. Boiling Water will definitely be much more popular than Lava Plume, because so many pokemon can effectively use it. Many incredibly powerful physical attackers have arrived this gen, and Boiling Water could be just the thing to keep them at bay.

Limewire

PRESS R TO WIN
is a Contributor Alumnus
Generally, any water type with a "meh" defense stat would appreciate Boiling Water, like Vappy, Milotic, and the jellyfish-ghost. Vappy + Rain will be insane with this (Rest/Boiling Water/Ice Beam or filler/filler.)

Also, why isn't Kingdra in this list? It's pretty obvious that Rain will be extremely common (if not broken) in Gen V, and most RD Kingdras are either mixed sweepers or purely special. A 180 BP attack that can also burn seems too good to pass up.

I think Emboar can benefit from this. It learns Wild Bolt too, right? That gives it good coverage, and a water move on a fire pokemon is interesting. 30% burn helps too, especially if they tried to send something flying/ground/whatever to pelt it.

Vaporeon, Milotic, Tentacruel and Suicune benefit the most from it, though, I think. Especially Tentacruel and Milotic.

I like Burunkeru and Boiling Water will help it out a lot. Between being able to learn Recover, having great special bulk, and having decent special attack, I think Burunkeru will be an awesome defensive spin-blocker.

Another pokemon that has been overlooked in the OP is Politoed. Especially with its Dream World ability in Drizzle, the tadpole will be seeing a lot more play. It is already very good at taking special hits, and the ability to soften the physical ones shouldn't be overlooked.

I'm glad Gamefreak gave us something to help stall. This should easily become the standard for bulky waters, Tenta and Vaporeon will love this move. Burunkeru looks like he's shaping up to be one of the premier defensive ghosts now.

I must say I rather want the ghost/water jelly fish. Unique typing is always useful. I know there is an item that lets rapid spin hit everything however that means no left overs, therefore a burn could be much more dangerous to spinners.

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Jirachi should also have Boiling Water. With Serene Grace at hand, it'll be a 60% chance to burn the opponent. [Well, Jirachi learns Water Pulse, what else if he learns Boiling Water?]

Anyway, not only Vaporeon benefits most of it, Suicune as well. Crocune sets will become more invincible nowadays because of that. [Air Slash Suicune FTW! XD~~~~]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)