ORAS OU BTB and Thimo: Scared? (Cloyster Offense Peaked #6 at 1992)

BHARATH_THEBEST

Destroyer Of Worlds
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion

Hey guys! I am BHARATH_THEBEST (BTB) back with another RMT, but this time I have my good friend Thimo accompanying me. Thimo is an awesome teambuilder and a great battler. He plays pretty much any tier and I had the privilige to build a team with him. We wanted to build around a very underrated pokémon in the OU tier, Cloyster. Cloyster is a really good pokémon in the OU Tier, because very few teams are prepared for it and its ability to deal with stall is also very impressive. It literally 6-0s stall all by itself. This team is very Hyper Offensive and the entire team has really good synergy. So lets get straight into the team.

Cloyster @ King's Rock
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 128 HP / 172 Atk / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast

Cloyster is a really good stallbreaker and a good mon against balance and offense. This is the set Thimo made and gave me so we had decided to build around it. It destroys teams that are unprepared for it. Kings rock is to have an approximate 41% chance to flinch with icicle spear and rock blast paired along with its Skill Link ability. The 128 HP EV investment is to set up on unaware Quagsire, because Quagsire cannot break Cloyster's Substitute with both Scald and Earthquake. Cloyster can set up all over it and eventually 6-0 stall. 48 pp on Icicle Spear helps a lot as well in case flinches are not going the way we want it to. 208 speed investment is to outspeed defensive Zapdos and outspeed Choice Scarf Garchomp after a Shell Smash. The rest of the EVs are pur in attack to make Cloyster hit harder. Substitute is to avoid Status from Chansey or Quagsire and Shell Smash and sweep with either Icicle Spear or Rock Blast.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 48 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Roost

This is a tanky mixed Mega Altaria used to tank hits and dish out a lot of damage in return. Earthquake is to catch Heatrans which is a primary switchin to a specially based Mega Altaria and Earthquake is a solid 2hko on Heatran. The specific HP and Defense investment is to avoid ohko from max Attack Adamant Mega Scizor most of the time and ohko it with Fire Blast. The special attack investment with modest nature is to have a chance to 2 ohko standard smogon spread clefable with Hyper voice and to have a lot of power in general. Roost is to have longetivity and the 200 Speed investment is to outspeed speedcreeps of Jolly Tyranitar and things slower than it.

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Memento
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball

Chandelure is a great fit for the team especially because of Memento which can give Cloyster an oppurtinity to setup and also a way to ensure Mega Medicham does not get free High Jump Kicks. The spread is max Special Attack and max Speed Timid to outspeed Mega lopunnny and Mega Manectric. Shadow Ball and Fire Blast are its primary STAB moves and Energy Ball lets us hit annoying Seismitoads and other Water types like Keldeo harder.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe /4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Excadrill is the best way to make sure Stealth Rocks are on the opponents side of the field because of Mold Breaker and also Rapid Spins away hazards for the team, but is in the team to mostly ensure rocks are set on the field. Earthquake is a good primary STAB and Toxic is mainly for Landorus-T and Hippowdown which all wall Excadrill. Toxic can also come in handy against Mega Sableye. Jolly nature is outspeed Heatran and Adamant Mega Medicham. Max Attack is to do lots of damage to any mon with Earthquake.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Jirachi is a great fit for this team beacuse of its ability to Healing Wish. It can be crucial to Healing Wish back up a more offensive member of the team like Cloyster. U-turn provides a lot of momentum and Iron Head and Heart Stamp are its primary STAB moves with a 60% chance to flinch with them. Jirachi also acts as a Fairy check which can sometimes be annoying. Scarf jirachi outspeeds most pokémon in the game and is another really good fit for the team.

Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Weavile is a fitting last pokémon for the team and to maintain offensive pressure as well as Pursuit trap Latios and Latias which can be annoying. Choice Band is to maximize the damage Weavile is dealing as well as hit all everything hard so that the other mons can clean up late game. Jolly max speed is to outspeed Tornadus-Therian and either Pursuit trap it or ohko it. Ice shard for priority is always a nice option for Choice Scarf Landorus-T or Choice Scarf Garchomp.

Mega Scizor is a really annoying pokémon to deal with, because of its typing, base stats and access to reliable recovery. Our best check to it is Chandelure, but knock off still exists. It walls 4 out of the 6 mons and is annoying to deal with.

Keldeo is also really annoying to deal with, the Choice Specs set that is. Mega Altaria is the main check to it, but Icy Wind can be annoying and we have to try and predict it.
Opposing Weavile can be really threatening as it can deal a lot of damage and blow holes in the team, it will be dealt with by Choice Scarf users or Cloyster in most situations.
Breloom is another threat, it threathens half the team and uses Spore on the rest on either the switch or by outspeeding them. Chandelure and Jirachi helps me deal with Breloom, but being able to get put to sleep on the switch is hard. Mach Punch prevents a Cloyster Sweep and is an annoyance in general.

Cloyster @ King's Rock
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 128 HP / 172 Atk / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 48 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Roost

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Memento
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Heart Stamp
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Weavile @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Last edited:

BHARATH_THEBEST

Destroyer Of Worlds
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Hey btb pretty team :)

Imo LOrb Low Kick Weavile works better in this team, so you can shot Tyranitar, Ferrothorn and Bisharp, which can be a threat for your team :)
I will try to peak with it when I am free and i will definitely try that out.Thanks for ur help and suggestion xD :] .

Hey, very cool team you guys made there, I don't know why it always wins, but it does.
Having no gound resist is really annyoing, so I tried ballon drill and it seems to work.

Ktütverde

of course
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Great team man! Cloyster is OP but hopefully has almost 0 opportunity to set up in OU. Bringing it after a memento is genius.
However: how do you spin vs a tank chomp or rocky landorus, the only rockers in OU (and even vs skarm and hippo)? This set comes from uber, I'm ready to swear it. But in OU, using rapid spin simply brokes the sash. I would rather use something like Lead skarm with taunt+SR and eventually defog, or standard defensive skarm with defog and toxic, which sports great synergy with altaria as a defensive backnone ; or donphan with SR, Rapid spin, ice shard and earthquake. It's up to you, and I hope I helped !

One thing im concerned about is how will you deal with Rock Polish M-Diancie? since priority ice shard from weavile is the only thing which can even TOUCH it after it gets rock polish up. then it proceeds to ohko everything on your team. i think i am missing on something, so can you tell me how do you deal with, or have you never come across it while laddering? also sash on your spinner is pointless since if its coming in to spin, then hazards are likely to break the sash. I would suggest lum berry, to scare out mon before your opponents know you are not scarfed.

I think I have a solution for u:

First of all I would change that Jirachi set...

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 atk/ 4 spd/ 252 spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish
- U-Turn

Now, u are thinking why SR if I have Exca??? But my idea is too change also your Exca set for killing that weavile that torments u.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 atk/ 4 spd/ 252 spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

U will outspeed Weavile thanks to Choice Scarf, assuming u will be locked in a move. But i have another option and I'm impressed because noone talked about it. What about using a Talonflame that kill every single threath?? Thanks to its ability Gale Wings can OHKO with priority Scizor, Breloom, Keld and Weavile. Great team anyway.:toast:

I think I have a solution for u:

U will outspeed Weavile thanks to Choice Scarf, assuming u will be locked in a move. But i have another option and I'm impressed because noone talked about it. What about using a Talonflame that kill every single threath?? Thanks to its ability Gale Wings can OHKO with priority Scizor, Breloom, Keld and Weavile. Great team anyway.:toast:
who do we replace for talonflame? and it wont priority ohko scizor. or sash breloom which can spore and setup a counter sweep. Plus none of the changes get rid of the ROCK POLISH M-Diancie Problem.

Well done team in my opinion not much to rate but I have a few other options for your sets.
1.For Cloyster a white herb for your item i find this to be needed for every shell smash set.
2.Two Choice scarfs is not needed i would keep it on Jirachi and switch the chandelure one out for choice specs.
3.Excacdrill, I always find this better than sash since if you switch into excadrill to rapid spin his sash is just going to get broken from stealth rocks damage making it useless and a waste of an item.
4.Dragon type move on altaria i would place dragon pulse over fire blast.
Hope I helped if you have any questions just reply to the thread because i will be watching the thread or message me.
I hope you can use this team effectively in OU!

who do we replace for talonflame? and it wont priority ohko scizor. or sash breloom which can spore and setup a counter sweep. Plus none of the changes get rid of the ROCK POLISH M-Diancie Problem.
We can replace Chandelure, who is another fire but slower... Why not outspeed Breloom with Gale Wings ability that gives +1 in all flying type moves that makes x4 to Breloom?? I was wrong about Scizor but not about Breloom and Keld. About MDiancie, Jirachi can stop MDiancie RP with Iron head, and Diancie cannot OHKO our little star...

Your team hasn't got a Ground Resistor, that's too bad for an OU team. You can try Landorust SR>Excadrill and Zapdos Defogger>Chandelure.

Landorus-T @ Rocky Helmet/Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-Turn
- Stealth Rock

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Volt Switch / Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Defog

Last edited:
Well done team in my opinion not much to rate but I have a few other options for your sets.
1.For Cloyster a white herb for your item i find this to be needed for every shell smash set.
2.Two Choice scarfs is not needed i would keep it on Jirachi and switch the chandelure one out for choice specs.
3.Excacdrill, I always find this better than sash since if you switch into excadrill to rapid spin his sash is just going to get broken from stealth rocks damage making it useless and a waste of an item.
4.Dragon type move on altaria i would place dragon pulse over fire blast.
Hope I helped if you have any questions just reply to the thread because i will be watching the thread or message me.
I hope you can use this team effectively in OU!
the flinch chance is awesome yo.
choice specs chandelure doesnt fit the team, too slow, btb mainly uses it for memento anyways, which gives cloyster set up opportunities.
I would run skarm > excadril tho.
Dragon move on alataria when it already has near perfect coverage with eq+fireblast+hypervoice? ._. and make altaria complete skarm bait? ._.

Last edited:

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is a really intriguing team, but I've got a couple little changes that I want to take to the team in order to improve it.

Change 1: Change Chandelure to Zapdos. I know that you like Chandelure a lot and it is a cool scarf revenge killer that can set up memento for Cloyster, but your team frankly gets floored by Azumarill, with Play Rough smashing Mega Altaria, Cloyster, and Weavile,Waterfall/Aqua Jet killing Excadrill, and Knock Off ravaging Jirachi and Physically defensive Zapdos can do a much better job soft checking Azumarill. Additionally, Bisharp, Excadrill, and Mega Scizor are all huge threats to the team and Zapdos can check all of those guys really well.

Change 2: Swap Excadrill and Jirachi's sets so that you are running Scarf Excadrill and Stealth Rock Jirachi because Jirachi is a lot bulkier than Excadrill, making it more reliable as a Stealth Rock user and able to be a better check to fairy types. Additionally, Choice Scarf Excadrill with Earthquake is an excellent cleaner that can really sweep through teams that rely on Rotom-W as a ground check. This also gives you a faster rapid spin, which means that you can get rocks off of the field for Cloyster in more situations and the extra 25% can really make a difference when setting up. Lastly, Colbur Twave rocks rachi can help vs Weavile so that you can check it in different ways aside from revenge killing it, and Twave can help Cloyster get more flinches if need be.

You also might wanna make malt a tad more bulky, but that's completely optional as its p bulky with your set already. GL with the team and I hope I helped :]
Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Discharge
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]/Toxic/Metal Sound
- Heat Wave

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Jirachi @ Colbur Berry (helps with Weavile)
EVs: 248 HP / 156 SpD / 104 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave

Anish

luckynbad
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Littlelucario, nice rate, but I have a couple of nitpicks on the zapdos set. Firstly the 68 Sp A on the set is used to OHKO with Mega Pinsir with Thunderbolt, so 56 Sp A EVs are better, for Heat Wave to OHKO Breloom. I would also add Static on Zapdos, to spread paralysis, and would go Volt Switch > Discharge, to get some free switchins so that Cloyster gets some abilities to set up easily. Sorry for this not being a proper rate, am quite busy rn and the team looks decent

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)