BW OU: Pure Offense

This is my first team; I've had some success with it (but not really; 64/24W/40L on PO), but have difficulty with getting the right EV spreads. Also to be noted is the lack of walls and entry hazards. My main consideration when making this team was coverage. All major flaws I see are highlighted with a (?) next to them.

Zoroark@Focus Sash
Illusion
4HP/252SpA/252Spe
Modest

Focus Blast
Nasty Plot
Flamethrower
Night Daze

Standard Zoroark. Although he's classed as UU, I sometimes find him useful when trying to force a switch. Nasty plot to boost Special Attack, Flamethrower for steels, Night Daze for a STAB, and Focus Blast to fill the last moveslot.

Mienshao@Life Orb
Regenerator
4Hp/252Atk/252Spe
Jolly

U-Turn
Drain Punch
Aerial Ace
Fake Out

Another standard set, except for the replacement of the usual HP fire/ice with Aerial Ace. I find this helps when I have to battle Bugs, as I try to get as much usage from the life orb as possible before switching out with U-turn. Drain Punch for when I need a little HP boost.

Salamence@Persim Berry
Intimidate
252Atk/4SpA/252Spe
Adamant (?)

Dragon Dance
Outrage
Fire Blast
Earthquake

This is my mixed attacker. DD to boost attack and speed, Outrage for a powerful STAB, EQ to hit Rocks and Fire Blast for Ferrothorn.

Scrafty@Leftovers
Shed Skin
4Hp/252Atk/252Spe
Jolly

Dragon Dance
Crunch
Hi Jump Kick
Ice Punch

Pure power with him. DD to increase speed and attack, Crunch and Hi jump kick for dual STABs, Shed skin to remove status, and Ice punch to deal with Dragons.

Galvantula@Choice Scarf
Compoundeyes
4Hp/252SpA/252Spe
Modest

Hidden Power Ice
Energy Ball
Thunder
Bug Buzz

This is my special powerhouse. Thunder and Bug Buzz as reliable STABs, hitting hard, even on most walls. Energy ball for Swampert, Rotom-W and Grounds, and HP Ice for Dragons.

Volcarona@Focus Sash
Flame Body
4Hp/252SpA/252Spe
Timid

Heat Wave
Will o' Wisp/Hurricane
Bug Buzz
Quiver Dance

Quiver Dance to raise my stats, Will o' Wisp to burn physical attackers, Sash to ensure I get a move off, and dual STABs that cover a huge variety of threats. Hurricane is tentative, as the only bonus it has is a chance to confuse. The major problem with Volcarona is a crushing stealth rock weakness.

The major threats I have to worry about are Fighting and Dragon types, and CB Mamoswine gives me a bit of trouble. I want to make a spot for a Psychic type (Maybe Espeon?) but I don't know what i would replace.

Exportable:

Zoroark@Focus Sash
Ability:Illusion
EVs:4HP/252SpA/252Spe
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Flamethrower
- Night Daze
Mienshao@Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4Hp/252Atk/252Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- U-Turn
- Drain Punch
- Aerial Ace
- Fake Out
Scrafty@Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 4Hp/252Atk/252Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Hi Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
Galvantula@Choice Scarf
Ability: Compoundeyes
EVs: 4Hp/252SpA/252Spe
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Energy Ball
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
Salamence@Persim Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252Atk/4SpA/252Spe
Adamant Nature(+Atk, -SpA)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
Volcarona@Focus Sash
Ability:Flame Body
EV spread: 4Hp/252SpA/252Spe
Timid Nature(+Spe, -Atk)
- Heat Wave
- Will o' Wisp
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance

Hmmm i love the Offensive capabilites of this team, I'll help with Salamance since i have used in it my past. I recommend this set to use, to Exploit its full Physical Strength OR To add in Fire Blast without hindering your Sp.Atk Stat.
Salamance @ Life Orb/Persim Berry
Trait: Intimidate
EV's: 252 Atk/252 Speed/6 Sp.Atk
Jolly Nature (+Speed, -Sp.Atk), Naive Nature (+Speed, -Sp.Def)

-Dragon Dance
-Outrage/Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Fire Fang/Fire Blast

This set is Mainly used to Exploit Salamances TRUE Offensive Capabilities.
-Dragon Dance is used to Set Up on your opponent AND 1 is sufficient enough to take control of almost the Entire Match usually, while Jolly and Naive deprive you of a small amount of Atk Stat, it helps with your speed as you REALLY need Salamance to be MAX Speed in battle.
-Outrage is used with Persim Berry so that AFTER you have exhausted the free 2-3 Turns of it, you snap out of confusion and go for another Round of Outrages, Dragon Claw is used with Life Orb to make up for the Lack of power that Outrage usually possesses, Either of these 2 Moves would be Salamance's PRIMARY STAB move.
-Earthquake is used for the Brute Force to pkmon that can easily shake off Dragon Claw/Outrage, and also to rid yourself of the Fire types that would otherwise Try to WoW you or try some sneaky things.
-Fire Fang is used with the Life Orb to 99% of the time OHKO most Ice Type pkmon that don't have Ice Shard. OR you can use Fire Blast to the Ice Types that you know don't have Ice Shard and attempt a OHKO and save yourself from giving your Opponent a Free Turn.

As for Scrafty, Shed Skin helps out with teh Status Problem yes. BUT Moxie is better off if you want Scrafty to unleash its TRUE Potential as an Offensive Sweeper. This is the Set you should run, if you feel comfortable with it that is.

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Trait: Moxie
252 Atk/252 Speed/6 HP
Jolly Nature (+Speed, -Sp.Atk)

-Dragon Dance
-Drain Punch/High Jump Kick
-Crunch
-Ice Punch

This set will let Scrafty unleash its TRUE potential in battle, even though you have Salamance as D-Dancer already, Scrafty can help you keep Momentum, Moxie makes up for the Addy Nature loss, and Jolly helps Scrafty gain MAX Speed in battle.
-Dragon Dance is meant to Set Up, once you Set Up 2 D-Dances, you should be in control of the match, majority or entire match.
-Drain Punch is used to help Scrafty's Leftover recovery process, and it also helps with damage to the opponent as its Primary STAB. High Jump Kick is used for more power, BUT should you miss, you will LOSE 1/2 of ur HP.
-Crunch is its Secondary STAB meant to cripple ghost types badly and Psychic's that you happen to counter.
-Ice Punch is meant to get rid of Dragons, Flying types, and pesky Gliscors and Landorus'

All and all, this set should help your scrafty immensly.

After punching the numbers, I see that Fire Fang after 1 Dragon Dance is about 3.5% more powerful against steel threats like Ferrothorn and Scizor. However, Fire Blast is special. So if you're fighting a physical wall you might want Fire Blast. A standard physically defensive Skarmory variant is generally 2HKO'd by a Fire Fang after Dragon Dance, whereas he goes down almost always in 1 hit from a Fire Blast. Up to you.
And oh yeah, this is my unique opinion, but I feel 172 speed EVs on salamence is good enough. That allows him to outspeed a choice scarf timid Heatran.

I like Mienshao. I've considered using him, but never have. I like him, but you should use his staple Hi Jump Kick. It is too strong to pass up. You can also go a very different route and give him Swords Dance on top of that. He'll be brutally powerful.
I see what you're doing with the focus sash on Volcarona, but you're keeping it from unleashing its full potential. It needs Life Orb to unleash ultimate hell on your opponent. If you insist on the focus sash, then I'd say your team needs a dedicated rapid spinner to clear the way for your volcarona and salamence as well.
And tell me, how does Galvantula qualify as a special tank...?

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I would recommend fiery dance over Heat Wave on Volcarona considering you are already carrying WoW for the burn and the 50% chance of getting an SpA boost from fiery dance can help alot in damage output especially since you are not carrying the life orb

Okay here's your rate. The main problem with this team is the lack of a goal. Do you want to play Balanced or Heavy Offense or Hyper Offense. I would suggest playing Hyper Offense, since it will cause you to deviate the least from the team you have now. First I will note some major weaknesses and then we'll get to ramping up the offensive pressure that you'll want to keep.

Rotom-W: He is one of the most common and most dangerous threats in the OU meta game today, and the worst thing is you have no good way of dealing with him. He OHKOes Zoroark, Volcarona, Mienshao, and Salamence, in rain and you have no reliable counter. While you're stat boosting with a Poke, he can come in and use Trick, which will prevent the Poke from being able to boost for the rest of the match. Rotom-W is also notorious for Volt Switching into a Poke with an advantage, and without a spinner your team won't be able take that many defensive switches of your own. Volcarona is 2HKOed by stealth rock alone and Salamence + Galvantula won't like taking Stealth Rocks either. Gastrodon is the best Rotom-W counter period, able to take the damage dealing moves of the common sets without even being affected. Virizion is also a good Rotom-W counter, and is only really bothered be Trick, which will make it safer for your other Pokes to set up. A Rapid Spinner/Magic Bouncer is necessary for this team, and since you want to ramp up the offensive capabilities, why not try Espeon. Espeon can offer dual screens for you HO, which would really help your team. Although Espeon won't directly take care of your Rotom-W problem, it will eliminate Spikes and Rocks from being set on the field and will help out your entire team altogether by blocking them with Magic Bounce. Virizion should probably take Galvantula's spot and Espeon could take Mienshao's place, since they aren't set up sweepers.

Terrakion/Landorus: They can sweep your team if you are unprepared, and the best way to deal with them would be to replace Volcarona all together. Although I don't want to do that since I have tried building this team so that Volcarona can work on it, and I don't want to change too many things. If you can keep a constant offensive pressure and if you play smart, these guys can be handled without having to change much. Scrafty could be replaced with Scizor so that you get to keep Volcarona. Scizor is also a set up sweeper, and he can offer you a powerful priority move, which is needed for this team.

Haxorus: Can practically 6-0 your team, also fixed by using Scizor.

Other Improvements: Night Daze is to noticeable on Zoroark, test out Dark Pulse instead. Fiery Dance instead of Heat Wave on Volcarona, also give Volcarona Leftovers. Replace Salamance with Haxorus, since he can ramp up the intensity of this team, you loose fire but you have Volcarona to take care of that. Also test 252 Hp on Volcarona, since he needs the bulk to pull off the setup.

Sets:

Virizion @ Leftovers
192 Atk/64 Sp. Atk/252 Spe
Hasty
-Work Up
-Giga Drain
-Close Combat
-Hidden Power (Ice)

Will be able to counter Rotom-W, Gastrodon, and many other common foes. This mixed set help from getting walled. Giga Drain is STAB and recovery as well as Leftovers. Hidden Power (Ice) offers coverage against Landorus and Gliscor.

Espeon @ Light Clay
252 Spe/252 Hp/4 Sp. Atk
Timid
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Psychic
-Hidden Power (Electric)

Mostly an assisting Poke, Espeon blocks area hazards and makes you opponent set up on themselves. Dual Screens allows your Pokes time to set up, and increases their abilities. Psychic is STAB, and HP (Electric) is for coverage.

Scizor @ Leftovers
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 Hp
Adamant
-U-Turn
-Swords Dance
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower/Pursuit

He gives you priority and can counter many foes. Since he is a set up sweeper he will fit nicely into this team. U-Turn sounds contradicting on a set up sweeper, but 90% of the time your opponent will send in a counter for Scizor after on Swords Dance, and you'll have to switch anyway. Superpower is if you want a fighting type move, since this will replace Scrafty, but Pursuit will be great for countering things like Latios and Latias.

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 Hp
Adamant
-Taunt
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Outrage

A much more diverse sweeper than Salamence. He is able to Taunt most of the Pokes that normally counter him, and after one Dragon Dance he OHKOes most of the meta game. Lum Berry protects against self confusion and from being burned by Will-o-Wisp or Scald.

Sorry for offering so many changes but the entire mindset of the team needed to be fixed. ALWAYS test something before making the change, you can use all of the sets I suggested or none of them, do what works for your team. Also don't be afraid to tweak the sets to what you need.

Good Luck cernor

Also test 252 Hp on Volcarona, since he needs the bulk to pull off the setup.
Thanks for the rate! I'm probabl going to go the hyper-offensive route. Although i do have a couple of questions:
If i'm going to give Volcarona 252 HP, should i take them out of SpA or Spe?
And what should i replace to fit in Espeon?

Thanks for the rate! I'm probabl going to go the hyper-offensive route. Although i do have a couple of questions:
If i'm going to give Volcarona 252 HP, should i take them out of SpA or Spe?
And what should i replace to fit in Espeon?
Take them from Sp. Atk, and the best Poke to replace for Espeon is Mienshao.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)