Move1: Nasty Plot
Move2: Substitute/Sucker Punch/Dark Pulse
Move3: HP Fire/Focus Blast
Move4: Energy Ball/Grass knot/Sucker Punch

Item: BrightPowder / Lefties
Nature: Modest/Timid
Evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Why this set deserves to be on-site:
Considering Cacturne shares the same 115 base stat in SpA as it does in Atk its a very good option in SS teams. Its Sand Veil ability also makes it a very annoying challenge and gives you a higher chance of building up a Nasty Plot or two. Nasty Plot is the key move here. With one Nasty plot boosting his SpA to 541 nothing is really going to prove much of a wall against it. It may lose its priority but it makes up for it with its evasiveness. You have a better chance of getting a hit in with Sub up though. HP fire is recommended over Dark pulse for when you are using it in higher tiers for the steel threats and grass walls. Dark Pulse does get stab along with Energy ball however, If you opt HP fire out for Dark pulse, Focus blast would be better to go with over Energy ball to take care of the pokemon HP fire normally would. Sucker Punch is an option to abuse its still decent attack and giving it some priority for when they break your sub.

Additional Comments:

Below are following damage calculations after 1 Nasty Plot

Focus Blast
Cacturne Vs Chansey
Modest Bold
252 Evs in SpDef
Damage: Min: 402/Avg: 436/Max: 474
Damage@Timid: Min:334/Avg: 362/Max: 394

Cacturne Vs Clefable
252 Evs in SpDef
Modest Calm
Damage: Min:406/Avg: 438/Max: 478
Damage@Timid:Min: 370/ Avg: 400/Max: 436

Cacturne Vs Registeel
Modest Careful
252 Evs in SpDef
Damage: Min:284/Avg: 308/Max: 336
Damage@Timid:Min: 260/ Avg: 280/Max: 306

Dark Pulse

Cacturne Vs Uxie
Modest Impish
6 Evs in SpDef
Damage: Min:420/Avg: 452/Max: 494
Damage@Timid:Min: 380/ Avg: 414/Max: 450

Cacturne Vs Claydol
Modest Careful
252 Evs in SpDef
Damage: Min:336/Avg: 362/Max: 396
Damage@Timid:Min: 306/ Avg: 330/Max: 360

Cacturne Vs Mismagius
Modest Calm
252 Evs in SpDef
Damage: Min:368/Avg: 398/Max: 434
Damage@Timid:Min: 336/ Avg: 362/Max: 396

Cacturne Vs Altaria
Modest Careful
216 Evs in SpDef
Damage:Min: 189/ Avg: 205/Max: 223
Damage@Timid: Min:171/Avg: 186/Max: 202

Energy Ball

Cacturne Vs Milotic
Modest Bold
0 Evs in SpDef
Damage: Min:356/Avg: 386/Max: 422
Damage@Timid:Min: 324/ Avg: 350/Max: 384

Cacturne Vs Claydol
Modest Careful
252 Evs in SpDef
Damage: Min:336/Avg: 362/Max: 396
Damage@Timid:Min: 306/ Avg: 330/Max: 360

Cacturne Vs Blastoise
Modest Bold
0 Evs in SpDef
Damage: Min:506/Avg: 548/Max: 596
Damage@Timid:Min: 458/ Avg: 498/Max: 542

HP Fire

Cacturne Vs Venusaur
Modest Calm
252 Evs in SpDef
Damage: Min:222/Avg: 240/Max: 262
Damage@Timid:Min: 202/ Avg: 218/Max: 238

When choosing your item it all depends on the security you want behind sub. Brightpowder is if you are wanting to make sure that the atk is going to have only about a 72 percent chance of hitting you. *If their acc is 100*. Lefties is to ensure that you can set up sub more than once and build up more Nplots.

Teamates and Counters:

Like all SS teams in order to make getting to abuse your Sand veil ability you are going to need Hippopotas to summon that Sand storm. Hippopotas is the only Pokemon in UU who can summon an pemanant sandstorm, which Cacturne needs to be most effective. It can also up Stealth Rock, which would make Cacturne's near OHKOs into guaranteed OHKOs. Since you no longer have priority with this set Lanturn would be best suited to be paired up with this set. Abuse twave paralysis and also counter the Fire/Ice weakness that cacturne has while cacturne covers the ground/grass weakness lanturn exhibits. If you are afraid of the fighting hazard and tspikes going with Venusaur to absorb those and also set up leech seed/sleep powder to give you the opportunity to set up against their pokemon helps. Cacturnes biggest counter is going to be Venusaur. Since it can take a hit and hit back with a HP fire on this less bulky cactus. Altaria also has a chance to set up a Ddance on you since there is nothing to effectively hit it with a super effective move.​

I think maybe you could slash a coverage attack in with substitute. Grass/ Dark/ Fire gets flawless neutral coverage except for heatran and grass/ dark/ fighting get decent coverage except for Toxicroak and the newly UU Heracross. Which ever coverage attacks you go with, your going to be walled by something significant. since your basically relying on Hax to set up, (and stay alive) maybe you want to push it a little more.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Is this for OU or UU? You have calcs on OU Pokemon but...it's a Cacturne...please elaborate.

Is this for OU or UU? You have calcs on OU Pokemon but...it's a Cacturne...please elaborate.
Damage calculations on the OU is to demonstrate its capabilities. Its for UU or OU. I hate the boundaries people make for them because UU/NU pokes should not be generalized for their sets like that. This set is flexible to be in OU or UU.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the analysis is supposed to be written for a specific tier. If it can also perform in another tier, then you would include a paragraph explaining how it can be used in that other tier.

Again, I'm not too sure about this, so yeah.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the analysis is supposed to be written for a specific tier. If it can also perform in another tier, then you would include a paragraph explaining how it can be used in that other tier.

Again, I'm not too sure about this, so yeah.
well its in UU analysis because thats what its primarily for. >..> Which the damage calcs were to show how it would perform in OU situations.

In that case, I believe you would write the analysis for how it should be played in UU, and include a short paragraph about how it can work in OU. At least thats how I think it works lol.

FlareBlitz

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
...the problem is, UU QC is not going to care about calcs on OU Pokemon, especially not for a very iffy set like this. I understand that you "hate boundaries", but we kinda like them, and we're the ones in charge of approving sets...so it would be in your benefit to present some calcs for common UU special walls if this is meant for UU play. Clefable, Chansey, Altaria, etc. It would also be in your best interest to ensure the EVs and moves are optimal; I think Timid should be the primary option to outrun Jolly Aggron and Uxie (whose u-turn really hurts you). The coverage you get with dark/grass/fighting is decent, but I think a mixed set with Sucker Punch in the last slot would help a bunch against Venusaur. Dark Pulse -> Sucker Punch takes out Venusaur from behind a sub, if you can predict on the Synthesis. Life Orb should not be an option on this, and brightpowder should be AC; primary option should be lefties or dread plate.

breh

強いだね
Well i haven't been in UU QC for a while, but why not?

First please uncenter it; it's really difficult to read.

Second wtf is up with all of the slashitis on the set?

Third, why would I use this when heracross any pokemon with a STAB fire or bug or fighting move ohkoes?

NP is cool and all but cacturne has a shitty typing no matter how you look at it (ironically, lack of a poison typing hurts it), is slow, and doesn't have much bulk. Nice attacking stats are nice but hoping that cacturne will get a turn of setup and live the next hit is really a bit much, especially since you take away the boosted Sucker Punch that SD adds.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Pretty much what Breludicolo said, minus the Heracross thing. (Breludicolo we're refraining from mentioning Heracross in the UU analyses for the time being. Read here.)

Entei, you can look at the proper form here.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
- present this in the proper format
- make damage calculations on things that actually matter (obviously +2 cacturne is going to ohko things weak to grass and dark...give us the damage in percentages, and vs things that would convince us that cacturne would do well [eg not against pokemon who its obvious are ohkod by cacturne])
- again, PLEASE MAKE THIS READABLE! i'm not sorting through this until you make the changes, then i'll qc it.

FlareBlitz

I have a feeling the TC isn't going to be doing a lot with this; could we look into finding a new author?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Giving permission for Bad Ass to take this over.

BAMF, just make a new thread, k, thanks.

Moving.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)