Can You Play An Instrument?

"Carmen Fantasie is a beautiful piece..."

Not when I play it. Apparently, this point was not made clear enough.

But yeah, it is a great composition. It is a shame that more youngins these days don't appreciate classical (or rather, romantic) music.

I can play 2 instruments: Viola and Percussion. Well, I'm not too good at percussion...been playing for 3 years...guess I'm decent, but the only experience I've had is band class at school. Viola I stopped playing last year, as the teacher was being too much of a pain...I might be able to still play something on it, though.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i played the tenor horn for a few years (a mini tuba) but gave up when i realised it wasnt cool and took up guitar instead. i'll learn piano at some point, i pick music up really quickly.

Piano and Guitar, yeah I know they don't match.

I am also learning to play the Traingle. It takes a lot of skill to master you know.

Piano for like..13-14 years now. Guitar for about 5 but didn't have lessons for a lot of that. And of course flute, the most manly of instruments, for maybe 8 years. Just stopped lessons since I'm off to uni in a couple of months, but I'll keep playing.

On the subject of pianos, what are the thoughts on electric vs acoustic? I just got a really nice electric piano for my 18th, great sound compared to my rather crappy acoustic I had before. Plus, recording and other voices.

I've wanted to learn piano/keyboard for quite some time now but I don't have the resources...

I'm thinking about joining band this year, our teacher says he'd put me on cymbals because I have no musical experience.

Trumpet.

Super C FTW. I can get up to it on good days. I can get up to at least Super E every day unless I haven't practiced in a couple of weeks.

I've played since 6th, and I'm now in 11th. 4 whole years of experience and I would say that I'm rather decent at it. At a Division Solo Competition, I ranked at ~50 of the 200+ Trumpets that went. Although that may sound like crap, do realize only the talented Trumpet players participated if they wanted to have any chance at earning a spot in the State Band. 50th Trumpet considering there are about 15 or more Trumpet players per High School is pretty good.

Besides, that was last year and I only started practicing the three solos 2 weeks before the competition. I've gotten much better since then and I plan to get a much better rank this coming year.

I've played the piano for a little more than 10 years... I wouldn't say I'm wonderful at it, but at the same time I wouldn't say I'm bad. I'm considering applying to a music program for University next year but I'm not sure I'd make it.

I'm also a music theory nerd D: .

noobster

space cowboy
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 2nd Official Smogon Tournament
bass guitar, the occasional horrid singing, and chest drumming is what i do for a living. i took bass up pretty recently but i'm not too bad considering the time i've been playing

I've been taking singing lessons for almost a year, since I am very serious with my music. I hope to some day be a recording artist, but im on step one right now...

I can play guitar (kind of half decent), the drums (somewhat), and the bass (this is where I shine). I have been in about 5 bands played guitar and drums once but the bass I laid into for about 3 of those bands and had the best time on it. However, lately I've really had an urge to learn the piano so I may pick that up sometime in the fall

I play the Alto Sax in my school's band, and I'm mediocre playing sheet music with the band, but my improvisational ability is extremely good, if I do say so myself, and I love to sit around and jam in my free time.

I also kinda picked up playing guitar when I didn't have my sax, but a friend that was with me had his guitar, though I play the guitar more like a bass, since I was watching a bass player using said guitar when he didn't have his bass with him.

Anyway, I learned some pretty easy riffs (Day Tripper, Hells Bells, Paranoid), and learned a few guitar scales so I can jam with reasonable proficiency, at least for only having messed around with the guitar for about 3 weeks, but I like sax better.

I got taught to play bass guitar by an unofficial teacher about 6 years ago, I think. I can play really well by ear, but know no theory at all so don't really consider myself great by any means.

Double bass just kinda followed as a sort of natural progression, I guess. I played in high school orchestra for a couple of years.

From looking at the arrangements of bass lines i've kinda taught myself how to play guitar. For some reason, I can only play acoustic though. The strings and/or fretboard on electric guitars just don't feel right, so I have issues playing them.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've played the Bass Guitar for about 2 years now, I picked it up really fast as it's relatively "easy" to play. I'm not exactly great on it though, been in a few bands but they never really got anywhere, and I never really played anything that complex anyway. Though I usually had to sing at the same time, I like to pretend I can sing too, but I realy can't. :)

I have an Acoustic guitar, had it for around 8 months, but I can barely play anything on it at all. I just usually mess around playing random tunes on it when I'm bored, or play a few songs when my mates come over, but I usually end up picking the Bass up isntead and letting my mates use the guitar...

I can play clarinet, alto, tenor and bari sax.
I'm a bit rusty on the clarinet, alto is fine, and my tenor is broken:pirate:

My favorite and main is bari

I play clarinet as well, perosnally I have no talent at my instrument of choice (although, in my colossal arrogance, I probably think that i do) I jsut practice an absurd amount every single day. I have found that passion is the single most important thing to have when dealing with art, it makes up for my lack o talent at the instrument ten-fold.

I have been playing piano for ~7 years, and actually enjoy practicing it. I tried violin but hated every second of it (the notes have to be perfect). I was in band in Middle School on drums, dropped it for... something. Am now learning guitar and bass (my dad and brother play, and we have 10
+ guitars, so, well, I pretty much had to).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)