CAP 11 CAP 11 - Part 6a - Ability Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I support Shockproof with immunity to full paralysis instead of the speed drop (for the same reasons as Deck Knight stated).

Being able to reliably absorb paralysis is a greater advantage than keeping a high speed. Yes, being able to outspeed things is nice, but Pokemon like Gengar (with max speed), Azelf and Jolteon can cause a lot of damage to CAP11, who cannot outspeed any of them, having moves fail with the 25% chance of full paralysis can be very dangerous. And CAP11 can bypass the speed drop with Sucker Punch/Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave or even use it as an advantage with payback.

None of the currently being discussed abilities are going to make the CAP a more useful partner to Togekiss than a number of other pokemon.
I've been through all the abilities and can't find one which can do this, or, in combination with any aspects of the CAP still to be decided.

Although I haven't completely given up hope, I don't believe the end result of this concept is going to benefit Togekiss more than a number of other pokemon, if we keep going as planned.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
None of the currently being discussed abilities are going to make the CAP a more useful partner to Togekiss than a number of other pokemon.
I've been through all the abilities and can't find one which can do this, or, in combination with any aspects of the CAP still to be decided.

Although I haven't completely given up hope, I don't believe the end result of this concept is going to benefit Togekiss more than a number of other pokemon, if we keep going as planned.
Don't worry alix, you'll get the chance to vote for the ability that you think helps CAP11 and Togekiss the most! We're still only discussing here.

I tend to ignore people who get laughed at on IRC. In particular, I've made five posts here already and they're all long and thought out for a while. So it really bugs me that after all that someone would chalk it all up to laziness and "personal opinion", as if their own relatively misguided and ill-thought-out posts are fact.

Anyways, I wasn't intending to post again, but since Fuzznip posed a question, I'm going to have to go with the immunity to the Speed drop. While I love the prospect of reducing luck in the metagame through any means, I have ultimately been forced to conclude that the Speed drop immunity will help the partnership more than the turn skip immunity will (i.e. "full paralysis"... ugh) by basically striking a status that debilitates both Togekiss and CAP 11 (remember that priority moves still typically have 40 Base Power, 1/3 that of Close Combat and less than half that of Aura Sphere).

(Plus, from a slightly flavour perspective, the Speed drop is something that you wouldn't notice unless you paid attention, much like the burn nerf in Heatproof. Granted, the same could be said somewhat of the turn skip, but eventually a typical "in-game player" would eventually notice that CAP 11 never loses turns.)

I think Immunity to the speed drop will be the most useful for this CAP. Yes, it does have 3 STAB priority moves, but the only relevant pokemons outspeeding it are Gengar, Starmie, Azelf, Jolteon and Weavile. Vacuum Wave having only 44% of Aura Sphere's power and being only useful against Jolteon and Weavile, it is unlikely to be a common move. Sucker Punch is better, but with only 80BP off 90 Base Atk, it isn't going to sweep anything with it. Even worse, SP is an opportunity for your opponent to set up (40% of Gengars run Substitute), heal itself or switch, for example, to a Fighting type and OHKO you.

Furthermore, even though 25% of not doing anything is bad when it happens, until then, it has no consequence on the game. With the speed loss, your opponent knows that it will always outspeed you, and will play accordingly, maybe even switch in Lucario in to threaten with both CC and SD. However, with only 25% chance of full paralysis, your opponent won't play any differently than if you weren't paralyzed, because it can't gamble on that 25% chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)