CAP 3 CAP 3 Sprite Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
I've begun sketching the backsprite. This pose I feel will do just fine.

It's only a rough sketch and is resized to fit in the appropriate space. It is not absolute yet. I already know the obvious things to fix like the left arm up too high and whatnot.

Also, ya'll should know that I've no intention of ending this CaP 2-1. I will pull out all the stops to win, including completely starting over the front pose.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Ugh you know what, I'm gonna redraw that backpose too.

I don't wanna let those down who expected better from me.

GO GO SUPER MOTIVATED KOA!!!!

In other words, we all now know what we expect from you.

People, stand bye. Awesomeness in a fucking can, coming soon.

Ugh you know what, I'm gonna redraw that backpose too.

I don't wanna let those down who expected better from me.
Thank you.I know you can better what you presented earlier

And on a slight related noted.GT unless people was pming you the art and you posted them,leaving off the names make no sense.If you have been following process you know who art is what beside process has been fair so far people have been voted the best art not person they like.Koa who stuff which have won the last couple stuff got murder in the art competition, Cartoon a basically unknown person dominated everyone proving their is no biases it is about the art.

Neither of art threads had anyone question if the best art winning.So i don't see the need for the change sure it would people would have to vote art with no name but i don't like people implying that we are not smart enough vote for the best art and not person we like the best.Change implies we where do something wrong in the first two or they was some sort of bias which was never indicated at any time in polls.

I am not going to lie i like how Koa art looks but i vote Dragonrules rev sprite and Cartoons woodman art.I vote on art is best not person.This is such small issue any way i am just expressing my thinking on the matter.

Well, after much pondering, I decided to revisit my sprite. Here's my newly finished Woodman:

As you can see, I kept the same pose (for the most part). I gave him a new color scheme and made him bigger, so now he fills more of the 80x80 frame. All in all I think this is much better than my first try.
That is awesome. Between this one and Atyroki's old school RBY-esque sprite, I'm going to have trouble deciding.

Well, after much pondering, I decided to revisit my sprite. Here's my newly finished Woodman:

As you can see, I kept the same pose (for the most part). I gave him a new color scheme and made him bigger, so now he fills more of the 80x80 frame. All in all I think this is much better than my first try.
Much, much better, indeed. Good job!

Although, now that I think of it... Doesn't the tail start too low? It looks to me like it should be seen more in that gap between the arm and the body.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't think we need to hide the names of the artists for fear of skewing voting results.

I think I have a decent art reputation within Smogon, and within the CAP project. I have submitted entries in every art competition and one sprite competition. I've have not had my art selected so far. In a couple of those contests (including this most recent one) I received almost no votes. In others, I received lots of votes.

I don't think anyone really puts much stock in the reputation of the artist. People vote for the art that they think is best, regardless of who made it.

Much, much better, indeed. Good job!

Although, now that I think of it... Doesn't the tail start too low? It looks to me like it should be seen more in that gap between the arm and the body.
Thank you!

I had trouble understanding what you meant, but I think I do grasp what you're trying to say. I suppose if you're paying close attention to the tail it may look a tad off.. I don't know. Maybe later I'll try tweaking the tail position a little bit.

I'm busy working on the female and back sprites at the moment.

I really, really like Atyroki's, mostly because of the pose. I tried sketching a few poses myself, and it's very difficult to stuff all of Woodman's rather large limbs into a little square. Where all the other sprites seem to reflect this, with one or more body parts sticking off in awkward directions, Atyroki's just seems natural.

I'd like to see the fire a little more understated, though. Right now it looks really cool but obscures a lot of the body, especially the forearms. Also, some other people have pointed this out already- Woodman's tail ends in a leaf, not in fire. Change those two things and you have my vote fo' sho'.

I got the female sprite all finished :D

I also tweaked the male sprite a little bit, although any changes I made are miniscule and shouldn't make too much difference. Props if you manage to find them all! ;)

Anyways, here's the male and female front sprites:

Like my first attempt at the female sprite a ways back, it's set apart from the male by its longer 'hair', lack of tusks, double-leaved tail, and longer, smoother skirt.

Comments and criticism, as always, is much appreciated :D

Aww, two leafed tail was an idea I had for the female.

Anyway, my submission remains a work in progress but I felt it was time to give you guys a preview.

I'm still tweaking things, detailing is not finished yet, and I might re-do entire portions of it, but what do you guys think so far?

I got the female sprite all finished :D

I also tweaked the male sprite a little bit, although any changes I made are miniscule and shouldn't make too much difference. Props if you manage to find them all! ;)

Anyways, here's the male and female front sprites:

Like my first attempt at the female sprite a ways back, it's set apart from the male by its longer 'hair', lack of tusks, double-leaved tail, and longer, smoother skirt.

Comments and criticism, as always, is much appreciated :D
I like how your sprite progressed,You got the size and color pretty much perfect.I was trying to figure out what is about your sprite that feels wrong to me ,I finally figured it out the leg positioning with body makes look like its leaning forward awkwardly. Your sprite is fine but i think better leg positioning would have made a more dynamic pose.

nopie looks like the woodman more than anybody elses.
nopie, you get my vote if nobody makes a better one.
also, it seems the first one in the poll gets alot of votes, for being the first one people see. maybe put one that we know (and no offense to the person who made it) will not win.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
KoA, that pose is far superior to your original. Far superior. Probably my second favorite pose after parnig's now.

I love that pose KoA, but seriously, Your current one is really freakin' awesome!

I mean, Just look at it, LOOK :D

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Arharhar, with my new vigor, I whipped up this pose I'm proud of. I'll commence work on its sprite tomorrow:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/kingofanime/Art/Fairly Recent to New Art/newpose.png
I like this pose better than the other, but I thought the other sprite was very good. If you change to this new pose, I hope you keep the same colors and level of detail as the last one.

I don't know if you are considering it, but I don't think flames are necessary in the new pose. A bright red and/or yellow glow inside the barrel of the blasters would be better than outright flames.

Er, thought i'd try this. Whipped it up today and I hope i'll be able to improve it a bit later on.

Things to improve:
Arm endings need widening.
Skirt needs a bit of attention.
Look up alternative methods of creating fire.
Mess with colours a bit.

DougJustDoug

Er, thought i'd try this. Whipped it up today and I hope i'll be able to improve it a bit later on.

Things to improve:
Arm endings need widening.
Skirt needs a bit of attention.
Look up alternative methods of creating fire.
Mess with colours a bit.
First ever post = very nice sprite submission.

Welcome to the CAP project!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)