Status
Not open for further replies.
Claw Sharpen
Type: Dark
Category: Other
PP: 15
Accuracy: --
Base Power: --

Effect: Raises the user's Attack and Accuracy one stage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As boosting moves go, Claw Sharpen is pretty mediocre. Accuracy boosting/reducing moves have been proven by every previous generation to be insubstantial for the most part, and Claw Sharpen is pretty much outclassed by every other move that boosts Attack plus something else. So even though there are a lot of things that learn it, very few Pokemon can make good use of it... however, there ARE a few very niche users of the move that can yield quite impressive results.

So, here are some sets highlighting some of the better Claw Sharpen users:

Durant

Item: Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Claw Sharpen
- X-Scissor
- Iron Head / Stone Edge
- Baton Pass / Thunder Fang
A single Claw Sharpen boost provides a combination of power and accuracy that results in 106% of attacks' regular accuracy, and 2.25x as much Attack, *(Thanks to Jayceja for these calcs)* mitigating Hustle's accuracy problem and providing it with a boost better than Swords Dance in a single turn. Its STAB Attacks will tear some serious holes at this point, but due to Aianto's poor offensive type coverage, it may be forced to Baton Pass the boost when it comes across something it can't damage, like, say... any Steel-type. Thunder Fang is an option in the last slot if you want to attempt to hit Steels, and Stone Edge can be used over Iron Head for extra coverage if you feel like (Stone Edge's notoriously poor accuracy is also fixed slightly as well).

Aerodactyl (suggested by KokoaKiwi)

Ability: Pressure / Tension
Nature: Adamant
- Claw Sharpen
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail / Earthquake
- Fire Fang / Ice Fang
With good Attack to be boosted and blazing Speed to abuse it with, Aerodactyl has the perfect offensive stats for a Claw Sharpen sweeper set, all it needs is to find some Choiced Earthquake-using sucker to set up on. Stone Edge's shoddy accuracy is thankfully mitigated as a result of the move, and Aerodactyl has plenty of other high-power and/or low-accuracy attacks that can be further benefitted from the move. Aqua Tail and Fire Fang are among the top choices, as they have excellent coverage with Stone Edge... however, classis Edge-Quake coverage is not to be overlooked, with Fire Fang hitting the only things that resist it. And Ice Fang is always an option for the likes of Garchomp, Landlos, and the many other things that are dreadfully weak to it. The weaknesses of the set are that Aerodactyl is frail and has few immunities or resistances outside of Ground to reliably set up on, and the ever-present weakness of all Aerodactyl sets in its weakness to many common forms of priority. As such, Aerodactyl is another excellent Claw Sharpen reciever for Aianto to pass to, especially since it resists the iron ant's Fire weakness; simply run a fourth attack over Claw Sharpen and let it take Aianto's boosts.

Metagross (suggested by Grammarian)

With the effectiveness of the age-old Agiligross set coming into question, Claw Sharpen Metagross cautiously pokes his head out. It's no Swords Dance, to be sure, but Metragross's natural bulk as a result of his excellent stat spread and typing make it usable as an option to boost this iron titan's reportoire.

Metagross @ Leftovers / Lum Berry / (resistanceBerry)
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
- Claw Sharpen
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake / Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt / Thunderpunch / Bullet Punch
Both of Metagross's STAB moves boast imperfect accuracy, which is mitigated by Claw Sharpen's accuracy boost. With Meteor Mash in particular, this is incredibly useful, as it gives the move a higher chance to hit, and thus a higher chance to boost Gross's Attack-- resulting in a potential Swords Dance-equivalent boost. The other moves mentioned obtain good neutral coverage with Meteor Mash, but it's good to set aside a slot for a boosted Bullet Punch if possible as well, even if it comes at the cost of a little extra coverage over bulky Waters and Skarmory (Thunderpunch) or the Rotom-forme family (Zen Headbutt).

Meloetta (suggested by SJCrew)

Meloetta might seem like an extremely peculiar user of the move. For one thing... it has nothing remotely resembling claws. Furthermore, Meloetta is a specially-inclined attacker-- and using Special attacks on a physically-oriented Claw Sharpen set is a questionable tactic in most cases... But not this one.
Item: Expert Belt
Ability: Serene Grace
Nature: Hasty
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Sp Atk / 252 Speed
- Claw Sharpen
- Close Combat
- Psychic
- Thunder
First thing to note about this set is that stall runs itself into conniptions trying to take this thing out. Skarmory and Blissey have to fear Thunder and Close Combat respectively, Tentacruel is easy setup bait, Heatran can give you another free boost if it tries to switch in on you, and non-scarfed Tyranitar poses no threat to you whatsoever. Even without investment, an Expert Belt boosted CC from Meloetta is fairly potent. Just look at the calcs:

+1 CC on Wishbliss: 63.4% - 74.9%
CC on 4 HP Ttar: 91.2% - 107.9%
+1 CC on 252 HP Nattorei: 56.5% - 66.8%
CC on Heatran: 49.5% - 58.5%
+1 on Heatran: 74.3% - 87.6%

Persian

Persian @ Life Orb
Ability: Limber
Nature: Jolly
- Claw Sharpen
- Hypnosis
- Return
- U-Turn
The effects of Claw Sharpen raise Persian's mediocre Attack to impressive levels, making Return really sting like a bitch. The real attraction with using Claw Sharpen on Persian, though, is the 93%-accurate Hypnosis that comes with it-- the most accurate Sleep move in the game outside of Spore. The idea behind this set is to set up Claw Sharpen when possible, then to hit as many non-resistant things with that powerful STAB Return... when something comes in to cockblock it, BAM! Hypnotize them into oblivion, then U-Turn to scout the switch and send in an appropriate counter. It's an excellent strategy for stopping an opponent's momentum while keeping your own. After it has put something to sleep and the element of surprise is lost, however, the it becomes notably less useful. It could be a good Pokemon to use in UU when the tiers stabilize.

Togekiss (suggested by Chameleon)

Ability: Hustle
Nature: Naughty
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 SpA / 8 Spe
- Extremespeed
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower / Roost
An obvious lacking element on this set is the move this thread is about: Claw Sharpen. This set is listed because it is an excellent recipient for the above user, Aianto. The crux of this set is an Extremespeed that is more than doubled by a combination of Hustle, Claw Sharpen, and Normal STAB- most things that don't resist it are going to go down hard without another say in the matter, and those that do resist it are hit hard by Togekiss' other moves: Drain Punch will hit any Steel or Rock-type Pokemon hoping to wall Extremespeed, and the fact that it is boosted by Claw Sharpen/Hustle and also provides recovery makes it an excellent asset. Shadow Ball, then, is the attack of choice for opposing Ghosts. Fire Blast or Flamethrower is handy to have for extra coverage on Steels, since Togekiss will otherwise have trouble taking down tough Steels such as Skarmory, Forretress, and Scizor. Roost is another option that can be used on the set, prolonging Kiss's survivability by mitigating Life Orb damage and extending its sweep, but utilizing it forces you to sacrifice a coverage move.

Feel free to continue suggesting Claw Sharpen sets; the useful ones will gain a spot in this post to showcase the potential of the move.

If this is the only option available to certain pokemon, then it is indeed the best.

Flygon, for example, would greatly appreciate +1 Attack without the drawbacks of CB, and the boost on Stone Edge's accuracy is nice as well. I'm sure there are other examples as well.

Hustle Aianto would like to have a word with you. It seems to be the best (well, only decent) user of Claw Sharpen.
....that is perhaps the only exception I will buy. Fair enough. Hustlers can make good use of Claw Sharpen.

If this is the only option available to certain pokemon, then it is indeed the best.

Flygon, for example, would greatly appreciate +1 Attack without the drawbacks of CB, and the boost on Stone Edge's accuracy is nice as well. I'm sure there are other examples as well.
I think I'd still rather have Choice Band Flygon. One of the benefits of using Band Flygon at all is using U-Turn to scout switches.

But, humoring you here, here's an imagined Flygon Claw Sharpen set:

Flygon @ Life Orb / whatever
Adamant / Jolly, 252 Attack /252 Speed
- Claw Sharpen
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch / Stone Edge / Roost

Right. Well. Do you know what I see here? I see Inferior Garchomp. Only, unlike Garchomp, you're not even getting the +2 Attack, and the Accuracy boost is useless for every move except Stone Edge, if you even have it, since you need Fire Punch to hit SkarmZong. CB Flygon is obviously superior anyway, since it can use U-Turn then and Garchomp can't with its Band set. (And clearly, there's no point using Claw sharpen AND U-turn, since you loose the boost that you wasted a turn to get.)

Any other objections? I promise it's all downhill from here.

hustle

the accuracy makes up for hustle(you end on 106% accuracy), while the damage boosts are multiplicative and hence give 2.25x damage instead of sword dances 2x

also, while sword dance will be doing 33% more damage(1.5x as compared to 2x), it will be doing more infinite times more damage on the turn an attack misses without the accuracy boost(0 times infinite is 0)

its like arguing that ice beam is objectively worse blizzard

....that is perhaps the only exception I will buy. Fair enough.

I think I'd still rather have Choice Band Flygon. One of the benefits of using Band Flygon at all is using U-Turn to scout switches.

But, humoring you here, here's an imagined Flygon Claw Sharpen set:

Flygon @ Life Orb / whatever
Adamant / Jolly, 252 Attack /252 Speed
- Claw Sharpen
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch / Stone Edge / Roost

Right. Well. Do you know what I see here? I see Inferior Garchomp. Only, unlike Garchomp, you're not even getting the +2 Attack, and the Accuracy boost is useless for every move except Stone Edge, if you even have it, since you need Fire Punch to hit SkarmZong. CB Flygon is obviously superior anyway, since it can use U-Turn then and Garchomp can't with its Band set. (And clearly, there's no point using Claw sharpen AND U-turn, since you loose the boost that you wasted a turn to get.)

Any other objections? I promise it's all downhill from here.
U-Turn is indeed one of Flygon's key traits. The point still stands, however, that Flygon has no other way of boosting its attack outside of CB (and Claw Sharpen + LO does more damage, btw). If you want to use a pokemon that isn't crippled by TSpikes and Spikes, Flygon may be the better choice over Garchomp.

My point isn't specific to Claw Sharpen and Flygon. It's that, if there is nothing better, then a particular move is obviously the BEST choice for that pokemon. I'm sure Shaymin wishes it had Calm Mind - it settles for Growth instead. If Shaymin wants to take that route, it can do so; it isn't always the case that it won't be good just because it lacks the better version of a particular attack.

U-Turn is indeed one of Flygon's key traits. The point still stands, however, that Flygon has no other way of boosting its attack outside of CB (and Claw Sharpen + LO does more damage, btw). If you want to use a pokemon that isn't crippled by TSpikes and Spikes, Flygon may be the better choice over Garchomp.

My point isn't specific to Claw Sharpen and Flygon. It's that, if there is nothing better, then a particular move is obviously the BEST choice for that pokemon. I'm sure Shaymin wishes it had Calm Mind - it settles for Growth instead. If Shaymin wants to take that route, it can do so; it isn't always the case that it won't be good just because it lacks the better version of a particular attack.
Garchomp can run Lum, and either way will probably cause more damage before it dies from Poison than Claw Sharpen Flygon would otherwise. And I promise you that no one (except maybe me, but I really like Flygon, so...) would rather use Claw Sharpen Flygon than Swords Dance Garchomp.

If you want an example of someone who can actually use Claw Sharpen successfully, look at AlphaSpade/Jayceja's example.

So... fine, I suppose I've altered my stance on the move. :0 Editing the OP....

Metagross @ Leftovers
Adamant 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def
- Claw Sharpen
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch / Zen Headbutt / Thunderpunch

Claw Sharpen raises Metagross' already foreboding attack stat while also raising Meteor Mash's less-than-comfortable accuracy. Earthquake hits Steel and Fire types that resist Meteor Mash as well as hits Water types for neutral damage. The final decision is based on whether you want STAB priority in the form of Bullet Punch, another worthy STAB move in the form of Zen Heatbutt, or the ability to hit Water types for super effective damage with Thunderpunch.

Garchomp can run Lum, and either way will probably cause more damage before it dies from Poison than Claw Sharpen Flygon would otherwise. And I promise you that no one (except maybe me, but I really like Flygon, so...) would rather use Claw Sharpen Flygon than Swords Dance Garchomp.

If you want an example of someone who can actually use Claw Sharpen successfully, look at AlphaSpade/Jayceja's example.

So... fine, I suppose I've altered my stance on the move. :0 Editing the OP....
unless garchomp gets sent back to ubers again (not saying he will)

maybe you really need the levitate
Garchomp is garchomp, flygon is flygon.

EDIT: I take it back... FOR NOW.

unless garchomp gets sent back to ubers again (not saying he will)

maybe you really need the levitate
Garchomp is garchomp, flygon is flygon.
Honestly, I doubt he will, but that's beside the point. In any case, I happen to like Flygon better as a Choice Bander than Garchomp... make no mistake, I lurve Flygon, and I appreciate the things he can do well. My beef isn't with Flygon, but with Claw Sharpen. :0 Too damn many useless Claw Sharpen sets floating around like that one just above. >___>

Agility or Choice Band is better. Just no.
It would be more helpful to the Smogon Community if you provided a well-crafted argument with your statement.

I question the usefulness of Agility Metagross now that Explosion has been weakened.

As for the second set you suggested, the only advantage Choice Band Metagross had over Claw Sharpen Metagross is that it does not require set up. The disadvantages are that Metagross is stuck on one move and Meteor Mash still has it's shaky 85% accuracy.

Claw Sharpen is a completely legitimate move for Metagross (especially with the option of having a STAB priority move through Bullet Punch).

It would be more helpful to the Smogon Community if you provided a well-crafted argument with your statement.

I question the usefulness of Agility Metagross now that Explosion has been weakened.

As for the second set you suggested, the only advantage Choice Band Metagross had over Claw Sharpen Metagross is that it does not require set up. The disadvantages are that Metagross is stuck on one move and Meteor Mash still has it's shaky 85% accuracy.

Claw Sharpen is a completely legitimate move for Metagross (especially with the option of having a STAB priority move through Bullet Punch).
Agh. I don't really have the patience to make such an argument right now, as I'm currently trying to craft sets for Pokemon that can actually make good use of the move.... but your argument, at least, seems well-thought out, so I'll buy it.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Agh. I don't really have the patience to make such an argument right now, as I'm currently trying to craft sets for Pokemon that can actually make good use of the move.... but your argument, at least, seems well-thought out, so I'll buy it.
Also, Meteor Mash gets an upgrade in accuracy which is fairly beneficial to it. You might want to mention that if you put a set like that on the OP.

Aerodactyl is a decent user, actually. Non lead aero can claw sharpen and boost accuracy of Stone Edge and all elemental fangs.

If you are so pessimist about a move, don't make it's thread. Really, edit it. If you think a move is not worth using, why make a thread for it?

Anyways, Claw Sharpen does have it's uses. The accuracy boost is useful somewhat. Flygon's only boosting move is this, and we'll still use this.

You also don't know if in the end, Garchomp is going to be banned or not.

If you are so pessimist about a move, don't make it's thread. Really, edit it. If you think a move is not worth using, why make a thread for it?

Anyways, Claw Sharpen does have it's uses. The accuracy boost is useful somewhat. Flygon's only boosting move is this, and we'll still use this.

You also don't know if in the end, Garchomp is going to be banned or not.
Agh, I'm editing, I'm editing. =___= And yeah, I know that I don't know where Garchomp's gonna end up. I can have my guess though, can't I? Dx

In any case, I look at it like this... I may have made an ass of myself, but at least I'm learning something from all this, LOL.
...though I do maintain that Claw Sharpen Flygon doesn't seem that good. Maybe if he got Dragon Rush, but... alas...

EDIT: THERE. OP has been edited with lv100 Aianto and LC Washibon / Nidoran. Keep'em coming, I suppose.... @___@ I'll probably stick Claw Sharpen Metagross up there at some point... that seems decent... (Maybe Aero too... lord knows he could use a boosting move)

Aggron@Life Orb
252 ATK/252 Spd Jolly ROCK HEAD
Claw Sharpen
Head Smash
Aqua Tail
Low Kick

Unfortunately it's really slow. But it has no other way of boosting it's attack and an accurate boosted recoil-free STAB Head Smash is amazing if you can pull it off.

Problem is a lot of the pokemon that get Claw Sharpen also get Swords Dance which is nearly always superior :[

Sadly, Nidoran shares Washibon's coverage issues in its inability to hit Steels.
It gets Double Kick.

Agh, I'm editing, I'm editing. =___= And yeah, I know that I don't know where Garchomp's gonna end up. I can have my guess though, can't I? Dx

In any case, I look at it like this... I may have made an ass of myself, but at least I'm learning something from all this, LOL.
...though I do maintain that Claw Sharpen Flygon doesn't seem that good. Maybe if he got Dragon Rush, but... alas...

EDIT: THERE. OP has been edited with lv100 Aianto and LC Washibon / Nidoran. Keep'em coming, I suppose.... @___@ I'll probably stick Claw Sharpen Metagross up there at some point... that seems decent... (Maybe Aero too... lord knows he could use a boosting move)
Ok. Sorry, I was a bit harsh.

What about Claw-Sharpen SB Blaziken? Sets up claw sharpen in the first turn, which means not only has his Attack and Accuracy gone up, but also its speed! It's like a DD with an accuracy boost thrown in! Which is invaluavle for abusing Hi-jump kick.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Or Blaziken can SD for way more attack. The accuracy boost is alright for high jump kick, but double base 120 attack is way better. Aside from High Jump Kick, Blaziken has rather low powered moves and needs everything hes got to boost them.

Or Blaziken can SD for way more attack. The accuracy boost is alright for high jump kick, but double base 120 attack is way better. Aside from High Jump Kick, Blaziken has rather low powered moves and needs everything hes got to boost them.
that doesnt make claw sharpen inviable though

you may win a game from the bonus damage swords dance over claw sharpen getting you a vital KO or something, but you could also lose a game from missing an attack, especially so with high jump kicks recoil

Okay, so you've got a 10% miss rate for HJK, which could cause a loss if you're horribly unprepared. On the other hand, you have a guaranteed and much bigger attack boost for the same amount of set-up. Furthermore, Blaziken doesn't have access to many hugely powerful moves so without the extra boost, his attempts at sweeping will be severely hindered.

SD, outclasses CS wherever there is the opportunity for comparison. When was the last time you saw a claw sharpen set?

Pasted from Don Honchkrorleone's thread

Sharping inexistent claws just for the accuracy

@Life Orb/Petaya berry/Salac berry
Ability: Flash Fire/Gluttony
Modest nature/ Timid nature
EVs: 252 HP/252 Sp.Atk/4 Spe

~ Claw Sharpen
~ Fire Blast/Purgatory
~ Focus Blast
~ HP Electric/Substitute

Lack of opyions make gimmicky moveset, but it can work in the right hand. Claw Sharpen raises the accuracy (and the attack , but only for Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Night Slash, Return, Body Slam and Dig. Useless to resume) of your STAB an of Focus Blast. Fire Blast will be your mais STAB move, being powerful and hurting from 105 Sp.Atk, but if you feel lucky, try Purgatory, a variation of DynamicPunch that always burn. Focus Blast had already been discussed. HP Electric is for coverage, while Substitute can give you a free time and also can make you consume the pinch berry earlier if you opt for it and Gluttony.
Purgatory is cool stuff. It has more of a chance to hit than Jirachi's Iron Head has of flinching, making it useable in my book.

Ambipom can use it to make Double Hit have moar power, I guess.

Dragonite could use something like:

Dragonite @ Life Orb
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Claw Sharpen
- Dragon Rush
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail/Extreme Speed

Yeah, I know it's inferior to DDnite but it is somewhat useful as Dragon/Ground/Water has no resist and a 100% Dragon Rush is far superior than Dragon Claw and maybe better than Outrage (no lock/confusion).

EDIT: I thought of Metagross too although a set would need Occa/Shuca Berry to forego its mediocre speed.

Regarding the talk about Blaziken, it really is a matter of more conservative vs. risky play.

Claw Sharpen has less of a boost in exchange for improved accuracy on all of Stone Edge, Fire Blast, and HJK, assuming a set of CS / HJK / Fire Blast / SE.

On the other hand, SD literally allows you to sweep teams at a moments notice with less prior damage dealt in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)