Community Create-A-Team: Heracross (OU)

Which would be the most effective Heracross set?

• Swords Dance + Guts (Flame Orb)

Votes: 185 69.5%
  • Swarm

Votes: 28 10.5%
  • Sleep Talk

Votes: 53 19.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this has been stated but:

Aromatherapy Blissey ruins all the paralysis work. So it would be a good idea to make the team be in the physical side to not let Blissey any free turns at healing it's team.

Also Pokemon with natural cure are will get paralysis removed and can be a pain on a team that relies on paralysis. Here is a list of natural cure Pokemon with higher base speed than Heracross:
-Starmie
-Shaymin
-Celebi
-Roserade

Starmie and Celebi are somewhat handled by a specially defensive Scizor. Not only does it kill them both respectively but it can also Pursuit Gengar who is immune to two of Heracross attacks and resist megahorn x4.

Another good partner would be a Snorlax with Body Slam. Not only does it spread paralysis but it lures in Ghost types which is great to iliminate them with Crunch.

In the interest of spreading around paralysis, since apparently deciding which pokemon would best fill that role, here is a list of pokemon that can learn thunder wave that aren't the obvious electric types and are at least semi-usable on most teams, by most players:

clefable
alakazam
slowbro
hypno
starmie
mr. mime
gyarados
dragonite
slowking
porygon2
blissey
tyranitar
celebi
gardevoir
grumpig
regirock
registeel
regice
latias
jirachi
ambipom
drifblim
mismagius
lopunny
honchrkow
togekiss
porygon-z
gallade
frolass
rotom
uxie
mesprit
azelf
cresselia

Add to that list electric types and you have a hefty amount of pokemon capable of using Thunder Wave to effectively support Heracross.

Many of those pokemon would offer quite a surprise when they spout off a thunder wave. There are quite a few offensive Pokemon that could easily use Thunder Wave effectively, they just happen to be better at sweeping. Starmie is an example, with decent defenses, excellent speed, recover and natural cure, it could easily fill this role. Starmie can also hit for SE damage and potentially OHKO all the major threats to Heracross that aren't Rotom and Zapdos.

In the interest of spreading around paralysis, since apparently deciding which pokemon would best fill that role, here is a list of pokemon that can learn thunder wave that aren't the obvious electric types and are at least semi-usable on most teams, by most players:

clefable
alakazam
slowbro
hypno
starmie
mr. mime
gyarados
dragonite
slowking
porygon2
blissey
tyranitar
celebi
gardevoir
grumpig
regirock
registeel
regice
latias
jirachi
ambipom
drifblim
mismagius
lopunny
honchrkow
togekiss
porygon-z
gallade
frolass
rotom
uxie
mesprit
azelf
cresselia

Add to that list electric types and you have a hefty amount of pokemon capable of using Thunder Wave to effectively support Heracross.

Many of those pokemon would offer quite a surprise when they spout off a thunder wave. There are quite a few offensive Pokemon that could easily use Thunder Wave effectively, they just happen to be better at sweeping. Starmie is an example, with decent defenses, excellent speed, recover and natural cure, it could easily fill this role. Starmie can also hit for SE damage and potentially OHKO all the major threats to Heracross that aren't Rotom and Zapdos.
This is a very important fact. On my hax team which relies on paralysis to the extreme, the key players are Latias and Lanturn.

Latias with Sub, T-Wave, Roar/Recover, Dragon Pulse is immensely hard to KO since if you Sub on the switch and lure a counter, you can switch out avoiding Pursuit or paralyze them if you want. With Roar, you can spread paralysis like a beast but with Recover you can live a long, long time.

Lanturn has amazing typing and ability, resisting Fire, Ice, Water, Electric, Steel, Flying and taking small damage from Grass Knot. He can ParaFusion like a mofo or attack with unresisted coverage, but low-ish damage. He also LOVES CB BP Scizor with a quad resist. It also happens that Heracross resist Ground and Grass with weaknesses to Fire and Flying being key (Psychic is pretty rare).

But above all, a Normal type paralysis is key or else Ground types walk all over you. Of course, in this case, Heracross can out speed most of them and with big time power, he should get by them but it can be important.

clefable
alakazam
slowbro
hypno
starmie
mr. mime
gyarados
dragonite
slowking
porygon2
blissey
tyranitar
celebi
gardevoir
grumpig
regirock
registeel
regice
latias
jirachi
ambipom
drifblim
mismagius
lopunny
honchrkow
togekiss
porygon-z
gallade
frolass
rotom
uxie
mesprit
azelf
cresselia

Bolded all of the ones that are primarily physical attackers. Out of those 34, only 8 are physical attackers. We can use this for some discussion. :D

If the point of the physical attackers is to beat Blissey then it should be noted that Togekiss can beat Blissey 1 on 1.

Of the one's you bolded, Regirock stands out since he is an immense wall, can take advantage of enemy Sand Stream, resisted Flying and Fire and has STAB Rock moves to hit Flying enemies.

i think we are forgetting a major thing when we are so adamant in our paralysis support: why paralyze when you can kill. like i mentioned, twave latias is much worse than latias with another coverage move. between surf/ice beam/tbolt starmie can hit what it needs to.

i think we are forgetting a major thing when we are so adamant in our paralysis support: why paralyze when you can kill. like i mentioned, twave latias is much worse than latias with another coverage move. between surf/ice beam/tbolt starmie can hit what it needs to.
Right, when compared to offensive Latias, T-Wave Latias is much less threatening.

Compared to other paralyzers, however, you will be hard pressed to find one who can also check Salamence, spread paralysis, do decent damage, avoid status and lure threats as well as Latias.

If you want a paralyzer, you are better off with Latias + Good Special Attacker than Good Paralyzer + Offensive Latias.

If you want offense, then just reverse the logic.

CBlax w/ pursuit/crunch/body slam :o
This could be one of the best partners that Heracross could ask for.

1.It takes fire attacks aimed at Heracross with ease.
2.Takes out psychics/ghosts that pose a threat to Hera.
3. Provides another physical attacker to help wear down walls.

This could be one of the best partners that Heracross could ask for.

1.It takes fire attacks aimed at Heracross with ease.
2.Takes out psychics/ghosts that pose a threat to Hera.
3. Provides another physical attacker to help wear down walls.
Like everything else though, slow as it gets. Where's our para support again?

I would say Starmie or Defensive T-Wave Gyarados.

The CBLax is a good idea for removing ghosts and psychics, except that Rest Talk Rotom simply does not care about unSTAB Pursuit when it can throw out a WillOWisp and burn stall you to death.

Come to think of it, Houndoom might make a better pursuiter. He gets STAB and welcomes Will O Wisp due to Flash Fire. Also provides the team with a Fire immunity. You could use a mixed version with Pursuit / Sucker Punch / Fire Blast / Filler. Filler could be Dark Pulse, HP Fighting, HP Ground, Will O Wisp, Super Fang (=D), etc.

Ok, definitely not Houndoom. He's too weak for OU, and we've got better options for what we need him to do, like Snorlax. Also, know that Heracross has the pure power to break through a stall anyways, we just need to lure faster dudes. Starmie is our best choice.

Could be useful, but Smeargle leads lose to Azelf, Jirachi, Infernape, and Aerodactyl, staples of offensive teams.

I cannot state this enough: we will have fewer problems against stall than against aggro, so our team should be made accordingly.

well if we're going againist stall mostly, we need to think about SS and maybe need to add some weather changer(?) to avoid more residual damage

well if we're going againist stall mostly, we need to think about SS and maybe need to add some weather changer(?) to avoid more residual damage
Enter Mixdra
Lonely 252 Atk/240 Sp atk/16 speed @ Life Orb
-Rain Dance
-Draco Meteor
-Waterfall
-Surf/Hydro Pump

Well, it fits on a "hyper offense" team... and it gets rid of SS while halving the power of fire for a few turns.

It isn't my idea, but it's a good one I think.

Lanturn has amazing typing and ability, resisting Fire, Ice, Water, Electric, Steel, Flying and taking small damage from Grass Knot. He can ParaFusion like a mofo or attack with unresisted coverage, but low-ish damage. He also LOVES CB BP Scizor with a quad resist. It also happens that Heracross resist Ground and Grass with weaknesses to Fire and Flying being key (Psychic is pretty rare).
I liek that 4x resist. What set is this?

I think we should put a list of team mates we have been talking about and start testing with combinations and see what works best

So far:

Magnezone
Lanturn
Jirachi
Zapdos
Kingdra
Gyarados
Dragonite
Slowbro
Latias
Roserade

I have been testing out a Heracross team and some pokes that I have been using are quite helpful.

Zapdos
Celebi (Tinkerbell set)
MixDra (Excellent for weather changes)
Any set-up sweeper. (Lures out any priority users. Don't use TTar though SS = bad)

celebi@leftovers
252hp 32spatk 32spd 186def

t-wave
grass knot
hidden-power fire
recover

This gives us a physically bulky celebi, that can still O.K scizor after stealth rock damage

I liek that 4x resist. What set is this?
For my hax team, I use this set
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58331

name: Parafusion
move 1: Confuse Ray
move 2: Thunder Wave
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Ice Beam / Surf
item: Leftovers
ability: Volt Absorb
nature: Calm
evs: 40 HP / 216 Def / 252 SpD

If you are looking to ignore Confuse Ray and go for the coverage, use the Special Sponge set in the analysis but I don't think you need it for this team in particular.

The hax set can take a beat down from the special side including a Max SpAtk SpecsMence Draco Meteor even with rocks up and with BoltBeam, he can take down the flying foes of OU. Add in the amazing hax ability, which can be used to get passed Latias and you have a beast. He does have a tendency to draw Ground types immediately, so be wary with the prediction. Celebi would make a sick partner I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)