Challenge COMPLETE: Pokemon White 60-Hour N-Style Completedex Challenge

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
1638806008989.png

Can I obtain all 156 Pokemon in the Unova Pokedex and beat the game in 60 hours?

1638806052155.png

Introduction

It's time for another Pokedex completion challenge! This time, we're going to Unova - can I complete the Pokedex before completing the game? Note that for the purposes of this challenge "completing the game" means simply defeating Ghetsis and having the credits roll for the first time.

Those who've followed my previous challenges (I love you all) may remember my Pokemon Yellow Stylish Shiny Breedlocke Tradeback Chosen-by-Committee CompleteDex Challenge, in which I attempted (and succeeded) to catch all 151 Pokemon within 60 hours. Seeing as Pokemon Black and White have a similar amount of Pokemon, I decided to recreate this challenge in Gen V. As so many Pokemon in Unova require substantial levelling to evolve, I figured it would be fun to play the game in a similar manner to N - catching Pokemon from the surrounding area, using them until they level up enough to evolve, and then replacing them with new team members.

Several years ago, an exploit was discovered that allows players to connect to a server from which old events may be received. A full explanation is here, but the TL;DR of this is that I can - perfectly legally - obtain some of the old event Pokemon and items distributed when the games first came out, including the Liberty Pass which allows access to the area Victini can be caught in.* Seeing as this allows me to obtain all four of Gen V's mythicals and thus potentially register all 156 Pokemon in the original Unova Pokedex, I figured this made the perfect opportunity to do another timed Pokedex completion challenge.

However, as with all games, Pokemon Black and White have several version-exclusive Pokemon, meaning that one cannot complete the Pokedex with just one game alone. Unlike with my previous Pokemon Yellow Completedex Challenge, there's no useful exploit like the Long-Range Trainer Glitch which would allow for those Pokemon not natively obtainable to be caught. Some trading will be required, then, if I want to fully complete the Pokedex. I will enumerate all the unavailable Pokemon below, and how I plan to obtain them.

*A similar exploit can also be used to access the GTS and other online services! This is a massive achievement which makes playing Gen V games in 2021 a whole lot more fun, and I encourage everyone to do so.

Rules
  • The Unova Pokedex must be fully completed (#000-#155) within sixty hours of the designated starting time. If a Pokemon can be caught natively by any means, it must be done so. Trading is only allowed for those Pokemon completely unobtainable within the bounds I have outlined.

• This will be a timed challenge: once my team of six is chosen and I sound the starting whistle, I must beat the game and complete the Pokedex within 60 hours. I'll embed a timer, and be writing regular updates as I progress.

• Any starter and either of the fossils may be chosen at my discretion.

• Changing the clock in order to alter seasons is permitted as this as a natural part of gameplay, and would lock off certain items and areas from being accessible.

• The Entralink may not be used in this challenge. While it does not grant access to any Pokemon (the Dream World is still - at the time of writing - shut down and likely to remain so) it does grant access to Pass Powers which can boost experience, make rarer Pokemon more likely to appear, and make Pokemon easier to capture, thus potentially trivialising the difficulty level I'm aiming for.

• Non-native Pokemon do not count for this challenge. The DNS event exploit does not allow the player to pick and choose which events to accept - they must simply keep receiving them until the desired one appears. This means potentially accepting any of the events which were given out during the original release period of Pokemon Black and White. Several non-native Pokemon such as Metagross, Cloyster, and Ludicolo were distributed for these games, as well as several legendaries including Mewtwo, Darkrai, and Giratina. These do not count towards Pokedex completion, and cannot be used for any part of this challenge.

Inaccessible Pokemon

Unfortunately, Pokemon White does not, to the best of my knowledge, contain a glitch that will allow me to capture Reshiram, Vullaby, Zorua, or any of the other Pokemon unobtainable in that game. Because of this, some trading will be unavoidable. However, I'm not going to make it easy for myself. In the spirit of challenge, I will instate certain requirements before allowing myself to trade so as to make each trade feel earned.

1638806206291.png
1638806211797.png
1638806216197.png
1638806222533.png
1638806227385.png
1638806238345.png
1638806233068.png
1638806244700.png
1638806250641.png

As with most games in the series, no matter which starter one chooses, six of the nine starter species will be rendered inaccessible. The base forms of the two starters not chosen may be traded for only after the full evolutionary line of the chosen starter has been registered, and then levelled up and evolved. So, for instance, if I choose Tepig, I must evolve it into Pignite and then Emboar before I am allowed to trade for Snivy and Oshawott, which I will then level up and evolve in the same manner.

1638806259853.png
1638806265216.png
1638806270380.png

Gothita, Gothorita, and Gothitelle are exclusive to Black. Gothita may be traded for only after registering the full Solosis line, and then levelled up and evolved.

1638806281700.png
1638806286317.png

Vullaby and Mandibuzz are exclusive to Black. Vullaby may be traded for only after registering the full Rufflet line, and then levelled up and evolved.

1638806299435.png
1638806303659.png
1638806308686.png
1638806312872.png

Only one of the fossil families is obtainable. The base form of the other family may be traded for once the full evolutionary line of the other family has been registered, and then levelled up and evolved.

1638806326611.png
1638806333440.png
1638806344101.png
1638806349250.png

Gigalith, Conkeldurr, Escavalier, and Accelgor are trade-exclusive. These will be traded for once certain Pokedex completion milestones are hit: Conkeldurr may be received once 50 Pokemon are registered, Gigalith may be received once 75 Pokemon are registered, Escavalier may be received once 100 Pokemon are registered, and Accelgor may be received once 125 Pokemon are registered.

1638806361744.png
1638806368567.png

Zorua and Zoroark are, now and always, locked behind other event Pokemon. A truly baffling decision that prevents any poor soul buying this game in 2021 from ever being able to fully complete it without outside help. The event Celebi and beast trio which unlock them were distributed in Generation IV, and never to Black or White. However, Zoroark was also given out directly via an event, so once that is obtained I will be able to breed it in order to obtain a Zorua. EDIT: Guh, didn't notice that the 2011 event Zoroark was 100% male. In that case, I will trade for Zorua once I have 153 Pokemon registered.

1638806377531.png
1638806383713.png

Reshiram and Tornadus are exclusive to Black. Reshiram can be received by way of an event, while Tornadus can be traded for once Thundurus is registered.

1638806393247.png

While Zekrom can be captured, it comes at the very end of the story and my goal is to complete the Pokedex before completing the story proper. Therefore, Zekrom may be traded for once 150 Pokemon are registered.

1638806415558.png
1638806409751.png

While natively available in Pokemon White, Kyurem and Landorus cannot be obtained until the postgame. These may be traded for once 154 Pokemon are registered - i.e. once every other Pokemon has been registered.

1638806188706.png
1638806429476.png
1638806424505.png
1638806434113.png

Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, and Genesect are event-exclusive. Keldeo, Victini, and Meloetta were all distributed as events during BW's lifetime, and Victini can additionally be caught at the Liberty Garden after receiving the event item. Regardless of whether the DNS exploit gives me the event Victini, I will still complete the Liberty Garden event, as I intend to catch it properly for it to count. Genesect, however, was never distributed to BW (only to B2W2) so I will have to trade for it - this will be done once Victini is captured.

The challenge kicks off at 9am UK time December 10th 2021 - see you there!

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

Part 1

I choose Oshawott as my starter, mainly for aesthetic reasons. Imo, Cheren suits Snivy and Bianca suits Tepig. You get to fight Cilan this way and you get Pansear (on balance my favourite monkey).

Since it's December, the game starts in winter. I name my hero Io, and quickly take care of Bianca and Cheren before Professor Juniper gives us all the necessary items and advice we need to properly start our journey - most importantly, the Pokedex. Onto Route 1!

After the prof shows us how to catch a Pokemon, I catch Patrat and Lillipup before making it to Accumula Town where Bianca and the professor give me a totally unneeded lesson in how to use the Pokemon Centre.

Pokedex total: 3

3 down, 153 to go...

QuentinQuonce

Part 2

Now that I'm all set up and have a Pokedex, I figure it's time to receive some Mystery Gifts. It's a slightly painful and lengthy process because you can't choose the gift you receive - you just have to keep accepting them until you get the right one - but eventually I receive Meloetta, Zoroark, Keldeo, Shelmet, Karrablast, Reshiram, and a secret egg. Even though all three of the potential Pokemon are ones I don't have yet, I hope it's Pansage. I also get a Liberty Pass, for later. I shan't be using any of these horrifically powerful Pokemon in battle (yet), not least because they won't obey me.

Anyway, once that's done we witness Team Plasma making a big speech in the town square, then battle N, whose solitary Purrloin isn't much of a challenge. On to Route 2, where we finally get the Running Shoes and I can catch a Purrloin of my own.

Pokedex total: 10

QuentinQuonce

Part 3

Bianca ambushes me en route to Striaton City. Luckily, my Oshawott has been worn down by all the wild Pokemon and becomes a Torrent-boosted gigachad that one-shots both of her mons. I head over to the Dreamyard and pick up my free Pansear.

We have to fight Cheren before we can enter the gym, so I heal up and take him on. Right, time for badge number one!

I equip both Oshawott and Pansear with Oran Berries before challenging Cilan. His Lillipup proves to be a mild annoyance but goes down after a few hits. I switch to Pansear for Pansage and manage to paralyse it with Lick on the second turn while it boosts. Even with boosted offences, Vine Whip barely does anything so I soften it up with Leer, let it kill me, and bring Oshawott back in to get the KO. Woohoo! Easier than I expected, I've generally found the Striaton triplets to be quite annoying to face.

Off to the Dreamyard again after meeting Fennel and getting HM01. After seeing off Team Plasma and saving Munna, I poke around the area and catch an Audino as well as a Munna of my own. Bulbapedia informs me you can actually catch Musharna here too, but there's no point wasting time on that. I'll get a Moon Stone later, and Munna is the only Pokemon in Unova that needs it.

Anyway, after returning to Fennel's house, she gives us the C-Gear! Yay for useful things. That's all we can do in Striaton for now, so it's off to Route 3 after I remember to collect a Dusk Ball from that guy in the alley and a Great Ball from the fountain area. I need all the Pokeballs I can get for this adventure...

Also, after a bit of running around, my egg hatches - it's an Axew! Niiiiice. Well, not really. Even though Dragon Rage is a nuke at this point, I'm not going to bother raising it all the way to level 48 when I can catch Fraxure later in the game. So many of the Unova Pokemon evolve late, I want to be economical with experience points.

Cheren shows up again on Route 3 and challenges me to a battle. Sure, I guess. His Snivy's a bit harder to kill than last time. After our battle, Team Plasma show up having stolen a little girl's Pokemon. Cheren and I follow them, I catching a Pidove and Blitzle on the way, and chase them into Wellspring Cave, where I catch a Woobat before I can even join Cheren in battle. Beating the Plasma goons causes Oshawott to evolve into Dewott! I celebrate by hunting down a Roggenrola. No Drilbur reveal themselves yet. Back outside, the little girl gives us some Heal Balls as a thank you for saving her partner, which is nice.

I swap Woobat into my team before pressing on to the rest of Route 3...

Pokedex total: 19

QuentinQuonce

Part 4

Cheren stops me as I walk onto the southern portion of Route 3, cautioning that two Pokemon at once can appear in dark grass. Cool, but there's nothing much I want in there for now. I head on.

Because I need to raise its happiness to evolve it, Woobat is now officially the second major player of my team. I beat up all of the trainers on this route and proceed into Nacrene City, where Cheren wants to talk again. God, it's like we're in Alola or something. He tells us that Fighting-types are strong against Normal-types. Gee, thanks. I head to Pinwheel Forest to see for myself and, after wasting an ungodly amount of balls, catch a Throh. Tympole and Timburr prove far easier to catch. Worth the effort to catch it, though, as I'm then able to smash the challenge rock and get a Star Piece.

I then decide to expend even more effort by running around for ages trying to trigger a rustling grass spot and find a Sawk. Eventually, I find one and... catch it on the first ball. Yep, definitely prefer Sawk.

Right, time for badge number two! After meeting N and trouncing his sorry green-haired ass again, I head inside the Nacrene gym.

Lenora's Herdier is as brutal as ever, but I use several of the Pokemon I've caught as sacrificial lambs to avoid Woobat being smashed to pieces by its Take Down and clinch the KO with Dewott. Her Watchog is rather monstrous, though, and runs through my squad with Crunch and Retaliate. Luckily, the X Defend I picked up earlier enables Dewott to soak up its hits, and after a few turns I finally bring it down.

Basic Badge achieved! Happy times.

Team Plasma arrive and cause more trouble, the pricks.

Pokedex total: 23

QuentinQuonce

Part 5

Into Pinwheel Forest proper. There's a bunch of new Pokemon in here: Petilil (x2), Venipede, Sewaddle, and Pansage! It is super cool I was able to find the latter so quickly. Just Panpour to go, but I'll find it later. Hopefully.

I take care of Team Plasma, getting a Moon Stone from Lenora for my trouble, and embark on the horrifically long walk across Skyarrow Bridge to Manhattan Castelia City.

I make a quick detour to pick up an evolution stone, buy some items, and briefly change my team around before heading to the Liberty Pier. Off to Liberty Garden we go, to encounter a mythical.

It's crawling with Plasma Grunts, of course. I take the opportunity to level up the Sewaddle I caught in Pinwheel Forest a little and it obligingly evolves into Swadloon. There's also an Ultra Ball in one of the bins! Nice.

I make it to Victini without too much trouble. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring anything with a status move with me, so it proves dastardly hard to catch even at 5% - with all the Great Balls I bought going to waste on it. Ah, my kingdom for a Master Ball.

Let's try again. I return with Pansage and Petilil and manage to paralyse it and...

...still nothing. I waste 20 Great Balls and 11 Pokeballs on this little fucker and it still won't be caught.

Screw this. I'm returning later.

Pokedex total: 28

QuentinQuonce

Part 6

Time for badge number three. We have to help out Burgh first, though. After helping him root out Team Plasma from opposite his gym, it's inside to challenge all his underling harlequins. (Why does Unova have no Bug Catchers - and why are none of the trainers in here Artists?) During this process, Woobat learns Air Cutter, and summarily uses it to fuck Burgh's squad up.

Three badges down! Woop woop.

Taking a brief detour to get Woobat massaged, I head north to Route 4 only to be met by Bianca. She wants to fight, but you know... isn't that good at it. I move on and head into the desert, catching a Sandile and a Darumaka as I go. Scraggy takes forever to show up, but eventually one shows its face and I catch that too.

Remembering that Scraggy can be caught here reminds me that Scrafty was also an event Pokemon in BW which I didn't receive earlier due to pure bad luck. So I save, reset, and fire up the Mystery Gift function until I'm eventually prompted to receive it. Yay, my first full evolutionary line!

...rapidly followed by Woobat finally evolving into Swoobat! Nice one. K thanks for your service, big bat, time to get boxed.

Deciding to head to the Desert Resort later, I make it into Nimbasa, where upon saving a dude from Team Plasma, he gives me a bike and reveals himself to be the Daycare Man. Woop woop, now I can breed! Better claim my Zoroark from the deliveryman, zip back to Striaton and get breedi...

...oh.

I didn't notice when I was looking earlier, but apparently the Zoroark from the event can only ever be male. Bugger. Oh well, I guess Zorua will have to be another mon I trade for. I'll leave it until the end of the challenge.

Still, making progress in other ways. Now I've got the bike this challenge should get slightly easier.

Pokedex total: 33

QuentinQuonce

Part 7

After freshening up in Nimbasa, I accompany Bianca to the theatre and then stand awkwardly on the sidelines while she has a blazing row in public with her dad.

There's a bunch of items to pick up in Nimbasa, from HM04, a Sun Stone, and a Soothe Bell in the residential buildings to a Rare Candy from a man in Anville Town. Once I've collected them all, I head east and explore Route 16 and the Lostlorn Forest, avoiding trainers as much as possible but catching Mincinno (x2), Liepard, Solosis, Tranquill, and Trubbish. Well, with that done, it's finally time to head back to the Desert Resort. My main priority is getting to the ruins to pick up a fossil asap.

I opt for the Cover Fossil when presented with the choice. Neither species is particularly useful against Elesa, but Tirtouga has an advantage against Clay and can also potentially have Sturdy, so might come in more useful in the immediate term. Having had my entire team slaughtered by a trainer with a Sigilyph, I beat a hasty retreat after that, but do manage to catch a Maractus on my way out.

I return to Castelia and cross the Skyarrow Bridge back to Brooklyn the lower half of eastern Unova, where I quickly head to Nacrene Gym and get my fossil revived into Tirtouga! I've never actually raised one before. It comes at level 25 with a pretty decent set of starting moves, so I'm hoping this thing should be easy enough to level up. While I'm here I figure I may as well head back to Pinwheel Forest and look for a Panpour. I expect to be hunting for a while, but unbelievably the second patch of rustling grass I check contains one. So with Panpour, that's all three monkeys collected! Big weight off my mind, not gonna lie.

Right, let's get back to the adventure. I return to Desert Resort and begin clearing out the immense amount of items and trainers to be found there. I don't expect to find Dwebble here (it's much more common on Route 18 anyway), but I quickly find three and catch one of them.

No Sigilyph yet, though. Not a dicky bird. Or whatever freaky sort of bird Sigilyph is meant to be...

Pokedex total: 42

QuentinQuonce

Part 8

Plenty of Maractus and Dwebble later (both of which, like Sigilyph, have a 10% appearance rate), I finally stumble upon a Sigilyph! The paranoid part of my brain immediately fears that I'll KO it so I give it a gentle tap with Dewott's Revenge and then start frantically chucking Ultra Balls. Probably overkill, but better safe than sorry. I catch it on the third one. Phew.

There's only one Pokemon I still need to catch here - Yamask, from the Relic Castle - before I head back to Nimbasa. I beat up a bunch of trainers around the city and on the surrounding routes - including N, after we take a ride on the ferris wheel together - before heading to the gym for badge number four.

Going into an Electric gym with two Water Pokemon feels a little bit suicidal, but both Dewott and Tirtouga are reasonably overlevelled so I don't expect to struggle too much. Tirtouga manages to dispatch most of the gym trainers' Pokemon without too much hassle, and learns Smack Down midway through the gym which helps out against all those pesky Emolga.

Thanks to having Solid Rock (an equally good option compared to Sturdy imo), Tirtouga is able to tank a Volt Switch from Elesa's first Emolga, and fells the incoming second with a Blackglasses-boosted Crunch. Though it gets paralysed by Static, so I send out the Lillipup I've been carrying around solely for its Pickup ability in to die while I heal it. It uses Volt Switch again, and so Elesa sends out her Zebstrika while I ponder who to go with next.

I figure perhaps it's worth statusing it, so I send out the Yamask I just caught and use Will-o-Wisp, narrowly surviving Spark to inflict a burn. I send out Dewott and gamble that I'll survive whatever it throws at me to strike back with Revenge, and Elesa very stupidly uses Quick Attack - after which my Revenge counterattack KOs.

Just one more Emolga left. I stick with Dewott as it comes out. It, too, doesn't seem to think using an Electric move is optimal, and uses Pursuit as I KO with Water Pulse. Man, get your game on, Elesa! That should have been a wickedly difficult fight.

But now I have four badges, hoooo yeah.

Time to head to New Jersey Driftveil. And oh look, Cheren again. This "fight after every badge" thing is starting to get predictable. We fight and then Alder makes us fight with children and there are some more fights. Elesa orders the drawbridge to be lowered, and we get that gorgeous cinematic of the two sides of the bridge coming together.

Most of the Pokemon I've encountered so far are ones which can either be evolved easily or those whose evolved forms can be caught wild later on, which is why I've only bothered taking the time to train Dewott and Tirtouga as yet. However, the next area has a couple of species who I will need to actually spend time training up! To this end, I catch Ducklett, another species I've never actually raised before (and yet another Water-type for the squad) and quickly run over to the Cold Storage to catch a Vanillite (wow, Clay really is toast).

I also manage to catch a Herdier while I'm there.

Time for some grinding!

Pokedex total: 47

QuentinQuonce

Part 9

Ducklett doesn't need a phenomenal amount of levels to evolve so I focus on leading with him for the short term. I run around on Route 6, catching a Deerling, and beat up some trainers. Then it's back to the Cold Storage to clear out Team Plasma. In relatively short time, they're dispatched, so it's time to head to the gym. Between them both, Ducklett and Vanillite should be capable of dealing with all of the Pokemon in here.

Well, they are, but with significant healing between battles. Anyway, I pretty quickly make it to Clay at the bottom level. He leads off with Krokorok, and I send out Vanillite. Krokorok gets in a massively damaging Crunch, but thanks to the Nevermeltice I gave Vanillite prior to entering the gym, Icy Wind is a straight KO.

He opts for Excadrill next, so I switch to Dewott, the only one on the team I reckon can handle it. Clay selects Hone Claws while I use Water Pulse, taking Excadrill to 10% - he heals next turn, but I'm able to survive his Slash and finish it off.

I switch to Ducklett for Palpitoad. However, it's a bulky toad who soaks up many, many hits while healing itself with Aqua Ring. Anticipating a Hyper Potion on Clay's part, I switch in the Swadloon I've been carrying around since Pinwheel Forest, and which I gave the Soothe Bell I collected in Nimbasa, reasoning it must be pretty close to evolution by now. Taking a gamble, I 2HKO Palpitoad with Razor Leaf, and Swadloon gains a level as it faints, triggering its evolution into Leavanny.

Five badges down, woohoo!

Bianca catches up with us on the way out of Driftveil and initiates a battle. Bit yawnsome but let's go with it. At least most of her team is vulnerable to Ducklett. But she gives us HM02! Big yay. That'll come in very useful, especially when I want to start using the Daycare...

I proceed to the entrance of Chargestone Cave, catching a Foongus on the way, and Clay obligingly clears the blocked entrance with his Krokorok. Upon entering, I catch a Klink and a Joltik - another couple of mons I'll be raising up - and then Professor Juniper arrives to give me a Lucky Egg! This is without doubt the most important item of this run, and will be of extreme use.

Pokedex total: 52

Hey, look at that! Almost 12 hours in and I'm at exactly 33% of the dex. And since I've hit 50 Pokemon, I'm now allowed to make a trade... well, once I catch Gurdurr, that is.

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

Part 10

Sure enough, the Lucky Egg starts proving its value straight away. I beat up some wild Swadloon and Audino and Ducklett jumps ahead by a few levels until it hits level 35 and evolves into Swanna!

I head into the depths of the cave and eventually find a Ferroseed and a Drilbur, and - after much searching - a Tynamo. And then something really great happens - after beating up all the Plasma grunts on the bottom floor, Dewott accumulates enough experience to evolve into Samurott!

Now that I've fully evolved my starter, I'm entitled to trade over the other two and do the same with them. Which I'll do a bit later. Atm a lot of Pokemon are competing for spots on my team, but we'll sort that once I get to Mistralton.

N challenges us at the end of the cave, and I send Tirtouga out against his squad. His foursome give a lot of experience with a Lucky Egg attached - not quite enough to get Tirtouga to level 37, but it's not far off. I quickly rush to the Pokemon Centre, heal up, and switch around my team with the new species I need to level up and evolve - Klink, Ferroseed, Joltik, and Tynamo (most of those will be excellent against Skyla) - then head north onto Route 7 and grind against a few wild Pokemon until Tirtouga hits level 37, evolving into Carracosta! Now I can trade for Archen too.

Once that's done with, I do a bit of catching, since Route 7 has a handful of new Pokemon - Cubchoo, Zebstrika, and Watchog. Emolga's here too, but no point wasting time finding one when I can just trade a Boldore down the line.

My new squad are all so damnably weak, though. I grind for a long time in the grass on Route 7, only occasionally daring to take on trainers - one of whom, Pokemon Ranger Mary, crushes me 3 times - with frequent healing trips. Joltik evolves the earliest, at level 36, but right now that feels miles off.

Pokedex total: 61

QuentinQuonce

Part 11

Last one before I sleep (probably).

I hate Joltik.

I hate Joltik.

Kills nothing, dies to everything.

Plus it's a spider so it's already awful before it even begins.

After finally clearing out all of Route 7 (except Mary) I enter the Celestial Tower and fight my way slowly upwards, catching a Litwick early on. On the roof, I catch an Elgyem too. Skyla asks me to ring the bell, then returns to her gym. I follow her, eager to get my sixth gym badge.

Now that Joltik's somewhat stronger than before, it actually proves semi-decent in the Mistralton Gym. But Skyla is a measure tougher than her underlings, so I approach with caution.

She leads with Swoobat and I opt for Vanillite, whose Icy Wind unexpectedly OHKOs thanks to a critical hit. Unfezant is up next and proves not to be too difficult, though it gets in a large chunk of damage with Quick Attack before I 2HKO it. Her Swanna cleanly KOs both Vanillite and Joltik, but Tynamo is finally able to paralyse it and then 2HKO with Spark once she runs out of Hyper Potions.

Not too tricky, all told. Six gym badges down!

N ambushes me outside the gym, but just to chat. Nah, N's not gonna fight me. That's Cheren, of course! Quite the dull routine. Tynamo takes down his Unfezant, leaving Joltik to deal with the rest of his team and finally make it to level 36, whereupon it evolves to Galvantula. Truly, I have never been so glad to box something.

Which is just as well, because Alder shows up to give me HM03! Perfect. Now we come to the most tricky Pokemon of the game...

Yes, if you hadn't already guessed, we're off to Route 18 to get that Larvesta egg. I quickly teach Swanna Surf and Fly and head over to Nuvema Town and then to Route 18. I'll come back and clear this place out properly soon, but for now I just want the egg so I can start levelling the damn thing up. Many, many laps of Skyarrow Bridge later (though helped greatly by the Flame Body Litwick I caught) it hatches into Larvesta.

Levelling this all the way to 59 will be a killer, but I have a strategy in mind. I return to Route 7 and find an Audino, switching out Larvesta for Klink who finishes it off for me. The Lucky Egg-boosted experience yield sends Larvesta all the way to level 17 in one go. Repeating this gets it to level 21.

It's to the daycare with you, flame bug. And then I'm flying back to the Battle Subway, putting my character on an infinite path, sticking a coin under my DS's joystick, and going to sleep. Challenge resumes in 8ish hours. Tomorrow later today, some trading, the final two badges, and hopefully a whole lot more dex entries.

Pokedex total: 65

QuentinQuonce

Part 12

After a night spent auto-running, good results! I left Klink and Larvesta in the Daycare, the former now level 50 (I'll evolve that later) and the latter now level 44. Getting there. I swap Klink for Elgyem and proceed.

I head into Twist Mountain, catching Gurdurr and Boldore and - after much searching - Cryogonal. The damn thing proves extremely difficult to catch, taking every single ball I have on me. I save the sole Timer Ball I have for last and it blessedly works.

My Tynamo is almost ready to evolve, so upon arriving in Icirrus City I head north and plunge into the snowy grass, grinding until it finally hits level 39 and evolves into Eelektrik. Vanillite helps it out with a couple of the more difficult foes and hits level 35, which triggers its evolution into Vanillish! It's an evolution bonanza. Then I head back to the Pokemon Centre and replenish my stock of balls, returning to catch Mienfoo and Sawsbuck. The former joins my team in place of Tynamo.

Since I've finally caught Gurdurr as well as obtained 50 Pokemon, I'm allowed to trade for Conkeldurr, as well as Tepig, Snivy, and Archen. This takes me past 75 dex entries, which - having caught Boldore too - allows me to trade for Gigalith.

Well, Mienfoo will absolutely clean up Brycen's gym so I'm off to Route 17/18 to train up Vanillish and Ferroseed. I have a spare team slot so bring Snivy with me, evolving it into Servine after it briefly participates in one battle. It's not long before Ferroseed hits level 40 and evolves into Ferrothorn! I'll be boxing this but I reckon it'll be very valuable when fighting Audino later on since it's the one Pokemon in Unova that gets Selfdestruct pretty early on. I also realise I haven't yet caught Frillish or Alomomola, so correct that in a hurry.

Onwards!

Pokedex total: 81

QuentinQuonce

Part 13

Route 18 is a bit of a washout, though I do beef up just a little bit. Anyway, time for gym badge number seven!

I equip Mienfoo with the Lucky Egg and plough through all the trainers with Drain Punch. I can't believe I've never raised one of these before, it's delightfully strong and learns pretty decent moves. I bring Tepig in with me and rapidly evolve it into Pignite by swapping it in and out of battles. For the battle against Brycen, Pignite holds the Lucky Egg and I lead with it in order to switch in Mienfoo for each of his mons.

Wow. I was not prepared for how much Mienfoo makes an absolute joke out of Brycen's whole gym. His Vanillish and Cryogonal are both a straight solid KO with Drain Punch; Beartic a 2HKO, while none of them are capable of hurting me overmuch. That was truly pathetically easy.

And that's my seventh badge obtained!

I opt back to Vanillish for the foray into Dragonspiral Tower, quickly stopping off in the grass to find and catch a Beartic. The two new species found in the interior - Druddigon and Golett - are swiftly caught.

The grind up Dragonspiral is loooong. Super long. Worth it though, Vanillish gains a few levels. It's not long off evolving now. I really need to start raising Litwick up too, but I'll rejig my team when I'm done with this place.

After watching N awaken Reshiram, I hightail it out of there and heal up. Alder wants us all to go to the Relic Castle, but pfffft, that can wait. I've got other stuff to do. I caught a Herdier on Route 1 earlier that's at the precise level it's supposed to evolve (32) so grind for a little while in the dark grass outside until it gains a level and evolves into Stoutland.

Right, with that done... who wants to go and catch a legendary?

I add Eelektrik back to my team, buy a metric ton of Ultra Balls, and head over to Mistralton Cave. It's not long before I'm in front of Cobalion. Quick save, and then I go in.

I paralyse it right off the bat, and get smoked by Sacred Sword. Unfortunately Mienfoo is a little too strong and KOs. Agh. Okay, reset... I paralyse it again and this time Cobalion fannies about with Helping Hand and Retaliate rather than being sensible, allowing Eelektrik to get it to about 25%. From there, a Night Shade from Litwick gets it to what looks like exactly 1%. Perfect. Time to start showering it with Ultra Balls. With Iron Head being the only moe that can touch Litwick, and what with the AI being... uh... stupid, Litwick doesn't faint for many turns. It's a long slog, though. Not one of my Ultra Balls comes close. It's a good thing I wasted money buying 35 of them, because every single one fails! Cobalion eventually sharpens up and starts attacking properly, tearing through my team. It hits Vanillish with an Iron Head, leaving it at 1 HP...

...and then I catch it in a Great Ball!

1639224204175.png

I had to take a photo because of how simultaneously miraculous and bullshitty this was.

I need to get some Timer Balls... where are they in this game? Oh, not till Opelucid City. Ugh.

Anyway, that's Cobalion caught.

Pokedex total: 86

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

Part 14

Feeling like a glutton for punishment, I decide I'm going to catch Victini whatever it takes and buy 30 more Ultra Balls.

I fly back to Nuvema and show Professor Juniper my Pokedex and she, impressed by how many Pokemon I've seen, gives me TM54. Are you not impressed by how many I've caught? No? Just seen? Ugh. Anyway, I duly teach False Swipe to Cobalion and return to Liberty Garden. Being far more powerful than I was before, it's child's play to paralyse it and then strike with False Swipe, before the old Ultra Ball routine starts again.

And this time it takes... three Ultra Balls. Fu-

I've never liked you, Victini.

Anyway, I emerge to see all the Plasma members arrested and hauled off. Let's proceed. There's still a couple more Pokemon I want to catch before carrying on with the story.

Off to Pinwheel Forest, where I hunt in the dark grass until I find and catch a Whirlipede. Of course, Virizion is here too. Oh, go on. May as well.

I start off by paralysing it as usual and it duly shreds me with Sacred Sword. But I've brought Cobalion with me so it should be fairly straightforward to get it to 1 HP and keep it there, though of course it has sodding Giga Drain.

I opt for Great Balls to start, hoping to emulate the success I had with Cobalion. To my utter astonishment, it very nearly works - I get two three-shake animations before it breaks out, and then it successfully catches! Okay, I've absolutely given up on Ultra Balls now. Great Balls FTW.

Cobalion and Virizion down - just one more to go.

Right, let's get over to Desert Resort. My team now consists of just three - Golett, Vanillish, and Mienfoo. Who will we be adding next, I wonder?

(I don't wonder. I know.)

Outside of the Relic Castle, Cheren stops me and tells me this is the entrance. I know, I've been here before. Why didn't they just seal this place off until this point in the plot? Bizarre. Anyway, I've some business to attend to. Because it's winter in my game, I nabbed the RageCandyBar from the ex-Rocket Grunt in Icirrus earlier, and I use it to awaken one of the Darmanitan standing guard. I've fought a couple of trainers with these already, and I'd be worried if they had Sheer Force. However, without it they're incredibly neutered. Golett is able to stand up to it and it only takes a couple of balls to catch it.

Haven't used Zen Mode Darmanitan since 2011 back when I was young and stupid enough to think it could be good. Wonder if anyone's ever found a way to make it work? The Unovan version, that is, since the Galarian version is so overpowered. My Choice Scarfed Sheer Force one was always tip-top on the Subway back in the day, though.

Anyway. I proceed to the castle's lower levels. Golett quickly gets overwhelmed and faints (I hate that No Guard is its HA, makes using Dynamicpunch such a pain) but Mienfoo is able to clean up against all the Plasma Grunts infesting the place.

Anyway, that's not really what I'm here for. That'd be the Cofagrigus and Krokorok I catch on B2F. Krokorok (another Pokemon whose evolutionary line I've never raised) will become part of my team once I can get back to the PC, though not for long as the one I caught is level 37 and it evolves at level 40.

Maybe Golett just needs better TMs. Once I find TM30, I teach it Shadow Ball and Bulldoze and then revive it, hoping it'll do a little better. It is marginally improved by this. But this is definitely Mienfoo's party.

Pokedex total: 92

QuentinQuonce

Part 15

Alder and Cheren drag me outside of the Relic Castle before I can fully explore the place. Heyyy! I return to the basement only to realise that the door I assumed was there only opens up postgame and I just wasted a Super Repel.

Not to worry. Off to Nacrene City, for... lots of talking. Skip. I get given the Dark Stone (yay) and am advised to head on to Opelucid. Just like I was going to do anyway.

I change the season to summer just so I can winkle that one trainer out of the Moor of Icirrus. Oh, and also so I can catch a high-levelled Tranquill I'll later evolve from Dragonspiral Tower.

This also enables me to catch a Palpitoad as well. Another one that just needs a couple of levels to evolve, unless by some miracle I happen across a wild Seismitoad (could happen, I guess).

Anyway, Bianca stops me at the gatehouse and initiates a battle. Since Golett literally cannot beat any of her team barring Musharna, my new Krokorok steps up instead. Does alright against everyone but Simisage, who Vanillish has to take care of.

I was tardy getting here so no Black Empoleon gang and no extra experience. Boo. But not to worry as Krokorok levels up just enough from the Bianca battle to be a hair away from level 40! One wild Shelmet later and I'm in possession of a Krookodile. Well, it was brief but beautiful.

Across the Tubeline Bridge, then, and onto Route 9. When I first played this game, I found this route and Shopping Mall Nine overwhelming. Everyone you talk to inside the mall attacks you! But that's fine, I'm older and wiser now. And I want the exp.

Why does EVERYTHING have Crunch in BW how the hell are you expected to level up a Golett around here-

Fuck this, I'm off to Wellspring Cave where all the trainers use mundane Fighting-types. Doing that actually allows Golett to shine and level up all the way to 40. Pity it still needs three more levels. I go to Route 10, where surprisingly some of the trainers are a bit more manageable, and eventually level it up to the point where it evolves into Golurk. Ohhhh god, what a weight that was. Truly, Golurk gave Joltik some stiff competition as least fun mon to raise.

Route 9 and 10 are full of new Pokemon, so I go in search of those. First up, and most easily obtainable, is Amoonguss - then there's Rufflet (I make sure to catch one at the highest possible level of 41 since I know this will be a pain to raise), Bouffalant, Pawniard (the same principle applies here too), Garbodor, and Duosion.

Woohoo, and that's 100 dex entries! I am now allowed to trade for an Escavalier, which I promptly do.

Pokedex total: 102

QuentinQuonce

Part 16

Now that I've swelled my dex a bit more, I go and listen to Iris and Drayden's story. Drayden sends Iris to be my opponent. Even though I personally prefer Black, I think White's way of doing this is a more rounded and complete story. You get Iris and then Drayden as the gym leader if you play White and then White 2 as opposed to just Drayden. But that's another conversation.

I add Pawniard and Rufflet to my team alongside Duosion, and get ready for the final badge.

Ah, Opelucid Gym. I'm not fond of the BW version, I find it hellishly confusing. Vanillish clears out most of the trainers, bringing it tantalisingly close to level 47. Guess the final fight with Iris will be the one that nudges it over the line. How appropriate.

I front with Pawniard to take on her Fraxure - it just about manages. Rufflet does some initial heavy damage to her Druddigon with Sky Drop, but its retaliatory Dragon Tail fells it in one hit. Vanillish revenge kills, and lastly it's time for her Haxorus. Unsure if Ice Beam will KO, I gamble and go for Avalanche, surviving a Slash - it gets a critical hit, so I'll never know. Her Haxorus faints, Vanillish levels up to 47 and evolves into Vanilluxe, and I get the Legend Badge.

I believe that's what they call a win-win.

Professor Juniper greets me outside the gym and gives me a Master Ball. That's convenient, I'm about to need it. Right on cue, the gatehouse lady alerts me to a storm on Route 7. Well, let's go investigate, shall we?

On Route 7, an old lady gives me soup, tells me a boring story, and Thundurus appears before flying off.

Oh no, a roaming Pokemon! In any other game, this would be considered incredibly difficult and tedious, but Black and White make it incredibly easy. Not only does the time of day affect where Thundurus will be (at the time of writing, it's 4.30PM, so it's in the central area of Unova) but the huge thunderstorm basically shrieks "THUNDURUS IS HERE" so you know you've definitely found it. All I have to do is exit and enter the Route 5 gatehouse a few times before it shows up. Once found, I use the Master Ball because there's nothing else worth using it on. Nice and easy does it.

So that's Thundurus caught, and now I'm allowed to trade for Tornadus to complete the duo.

What, too simple? I mean, this challenge is already grindy as hell. It's nice to have at least one bit be laughably easy.

Anyway, despite having cleared out Route 10 already, I know Cheren is waiting there so I head back. Pawniard is capable of dealing with Unfezant, but his Simipour proves a one-man wrecking crew with Scald and wipes out the entire squad. Ugh, fuck you. Well, off to grind somewhere else then.

Pokedex total: 104

Precisely two-thirds done. Can I finish in time?!

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

Part 17

We're finally allowed access to Victory Road, so it's time to go through it. I make an exploratory venture inside and catch a Durant and a Heatmor as well as a Deino (shudder) fairly quickly. Fraxure is what I'm fixated on, but that'll probably take some searching.

And we have another evolution! Mienfoo has been hovering around level 49 for some time, and the first trainer we encounter in Victory Road provides ample experience (with the Lucky Egg) for it to hit level 50 and finally evolve into Mienshao. Now you were a delight to raise. I'll miss you, buddy.

And it's time for a break. After flying back to Striaton to check on the progress of my two Daycare mons, I head off to Nimbasa's Gear Station, stick a coin under the joystick, and set my character on an endless stroll around the lobby. I'm off to the opera IRL (no, really) and will be back in a couple of hours. Till then.

Pokedex total: 107

QuentinQuonce

Part 18

I'm baaaa-aaack.

All that running did my Pokemon some good: Larvesta is now at level 54, and Elgyem at 48. I withdraw Elgyem and deposit Deino, then take some of my unevolved catches to Route 10 and hunt for Audinos. Doing this nets me several evolutions: Beheeyem, Unfezant, Reuniclus, and Klang. Then it's time to head back to Route 17 for a bit of unfinished business - there's a few Swimmers in this area I never defeated, and since Klang's only move is Discharge, they're easy fodder to pick off and gain that final additional level so as to evolve into Klinklang.

Having no wish to raise a Frillish all the way up to level 40, I decide to hunt down a wild Jellicent, which is a 5% chance in rippling water. Phenomena have a chance to be generated with every step so I figure I'll set myself up on the central island in Route 17 and run around repeatedly generating lots of rippling spots. 1 in 20 isn't terrible odds, right? Sure. It is a literal eternity until a Jellicent finally appears. Well, certainly about an hour at any rate. It's level 8 once it's found so I don't dare risk attacking it, instead opting to throw Great Balls at it until it's finally caught. Phew.

Maybe raising it would have been quicker...

The final Pokemon in this area I want to catch is Crustle - it's much easier to find one of those, and only takes one ball once weakened.

Back to Route 10. Since the Audino here are the highest-levelled I'm going to encounter, I want to maximise the yield as much as possible. To that end, I send out the Pokemon I want to raise first, switch to Ferrothorn and use Selfdestruct to KO myself. A touch long-winded yes, but it works a treat on some of the weaker Pokemon in my collection, and I swiftly level up Archen to Archeops and Pignite to Emboar.

And so the final stretch begins.

Pokedex total: 116

QuentinQuonce

Part 20

Okay, back again. My Larvesta has grown enough in the Daycare to reach level 58! That's awesome. I take it out of the Daycare and leave Pawniard in its place. I equip the Lucky Egg, beat up some Audino, and before long it's a Volcarona.

It's a grind-y sort of morning. Since I'm entitled to trade for one now, I receive a Gothita and also a Genesect since I've caught Victini. Blowing up on wild Audino yields me Gothorita, Seismitoad, and Scolipede.

Now it's time to find a Fraxure. Another hard-to-find species that, much like Jellicent, only has a 5% appearance rate. I return to Victory Road and do laps in the rough terrain outside. It's a long process. No, I mean really long.

Like literally so long I find a shiny Heatmor before I find one. Well, that's something.

But eventually, one shows up. Only needs 8 levels to evolve so I decide to lead with it against all the trainers in Victory Road from now on. I give Fraxure the Lucky Egg and teach it some decent moves to go with the Dragon Dance it already knows.

Oh, and on the way up I spot a dust cloud and catch an Excadrill in it. Yay!

Pokedex total: 125

QuentinQuonce

Part 21

It takes a surprisingly short time to raise Fraxure to level 48 and trigger its evolution into Haxorus. Fraxure, you go to the top of the list of enjoyable species to raise. Full marks.

The last weakling I need to grind is Litwick, but since wild Audino only know Normal moves, no need to use Ferrothorn. It's a bit painstaking, but I gradually get my Litwick to level 41 where it evolves into Lampent.

Only a few Pokemon left to grind. But they're going to be hell.

Thanks to the Daycare, Pawniard isn't far off where it needs to be. At the high level it's at, it's perfectly capable of 2HKOing any Audino with Night Slash, and it's not long before it evolves into Bisharp.

The main issue right now is Rufflet. Getting it to 54 will be a massive pain, and then I have to do the same with Vullaby. I load it up with vitamins, teach it Aerial Ace, and start hunting for Audino again. It takes over an hour, but at last - at last - it hits the desired level, and evolves into a mighty Braviary.

Vullaby time. I trade one over, as well as an Accelgor now that I'm allowed to since I've hit 125 dex entries.

Maybe it's time to take on the Elite Four...

Pokedex total: 131

QuentinQuonce

Part 22

After popping over to Icirrus to collect the Exp. Share, I fly back to the Pokemon League and get ready to take them all on, using up the last of my money on a crapton of Revives and Hyper Potions.

While there's a gap between the main four and fighting N and Ghetsis, defeating the Elite Four renders them inaccessible until the credits roll so I've been reluctant to go all in. But it's time.

I've retrieved Deino - now at a respectable level 48 - from the Daycare and give it the Lucky Egg, and gone to the Move Relearner to teach it Crunch. It should cope pretty well against Caitlin and Shauntal, but for the other two I'll need assistance. I bring with me all the highest-levelled Pokemon I've recently evolved: Haxorus, Bisharp, Braviary, and Volcarona. For now, Vullaby holds the Exp. Share. It doesn't have a chance against any of the Elite Four, but it's traded so at least it'll get somewhat-boosted experience.

Let's see how this goes.

I start off with Caitlin, leading off with Braviary to soften her Reuniclus up with Slash and get in a Tailwind before it kills me with Thunder so that Deino is fast enough to avoid getting hit by Focus Blast and smoke it with Crunch. I foolishly assume her Sigilyph's Ice Beam won't OHKO, but it does. Ugh.

I revive Deino and finish Sigilyph with Haxorus. Musharna's up next. Ah, finally a safe foe. I send Deino back out and use Work Up a couple of times while it ineffectually plinks away with Shadow Ball. To my dismay, even at +2 Crunch doesn't KO. Arrrrrggghhhh. Still. It can't OKHO me either, and that's all that matters.

Once the fat pink piggy is dead, Gothitelle comes out. Its Thunderbolt stings, but I'm able to stomach the hit and KO in return with Crunch.

And after all that, Deino didn't even level up once. I hate this game.

Shauntal next. She leads with Cofagrigus, which is a pretty safe opponent. I decide to boost as much as possible and start using Work Up but it's annoyingly powerful, so I have to heal a lot. Eventually I manage to bring it down, though get burned in the process by Will-o-Wisp.

Of course, Shauntal then opts for Golurk, the only member of her team with a super-effective move (Brick Break). I switch to Volcarona to soften it up and it obligingly uses Curse, killing itself.

She goes for Chandelure next. Even though it has nothing that's strong against Deino, I still decide to use Volcarona's Struggle Bug to dampen its huge Special Attack before bringing Deino back in. No such measures needed for Jellicent, though. Deino chews them both up with Crunch, this time obliging me by gaining one. single. level.

I hate this game.

Let's do Grimsley next. This largely isn't a fight Deino will enjoy so, uh... maybe sit this one out, buddy. Braviary takes care of Scrafty while Volcarona takes on Krookodile. Liepard isn't so threatening, though. Its Aerial Ace is weak enough to let Deino boost and then 2HKO with Dragon Pulse. And that gets it to level 50! Woohoo, I have a Zweilous. Bisharp is up last, and while I most unwisely allow it to get a Defiant boost after using Struggle Bug on it, the combined efforts of the squad are eventually enough to bring it down.

And now Marshal. This is not Zweilous' fight at all. Braviary, do your thing.

And it does.

(It'd be nice if not every Fighting-type had to have a Rock move, though...)

Okay, that's the Elite Four DONE! Hurrah, hooray, callooh, callay.

I make it to the top temple just in time to see Alder lose to N and N do the thing and for the thing to happen. The big damn castle rises from the ground, and hey look at that, I'm suddenly free to leave.

Pokedex total: 132

QuentinQuonce

Part 23

After climbing through the upper floors of Team Plasma's castle, I teleport back to the Pokemon League and completely abandon the situation, leaving Alder to get eaten by a dragon or something.

Anyway. I break for lunch and return Vullaby to the Daycare, sticking my DS back on the auto-run for an hour. All the experience Vullaby got in the League took it up to level 48, and the hour of running around the Gear Station pushes it up further to level 51.

Just a little bit more grinding to do. Just a very little bit.

Zweilous, of course, needs to reach the titanic heights of level 64 if it's going to fully evolve into Hydreigon. But I'm not going to waste time beating up Audino for that. Oh no. Unova has a good handful of Rare Candies lying around for the taking, and I've been very careful not to use them on anything else. Let's short-cut this procedure!

I do one final spot of Audino slaughtering and get both Vullaby and Zweilous to level 53. I have twelve Rare Candies in my bag, so Vullaby gets one while Zweilous gets the rest. And that does it. Vullaby evolves into Mandibuzz, and Zweilous into Hydreigon!

Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo-yeah!!

The grind is finally over.

Pokedex total: 134

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)