Cool Local Bands

Does anyone like to get into the local music scene around where you live? I personally love hearing what the local bands that haven't really been recognized sound like. There's a few in my area that are pretty good.

http://soundcloud.com/user3278973/except-for-the-view
http://soundcloud.com/user3278973/admit-one

This is a two-man band that calls themself "Ellis" for some reason. They have a few songs on SoundCloud and they've independently released an album which is pretty good overall. I posted the two best individual tracks above. I personally find Except for the View to be utter brilliance, and Admit One is not too far behind. The rest of their album, unfortunately, does not meet the brilliance of those two tracks. They have a very unique sound though and I think they're pretty legit.

http://www.last.fm/music/Cloudcover
[youtube]QwfGsrq8rnM[/youtube]

Yes, this is my band. I have tried to advertise us for a while now. If you're even remotely interested in us there's a free download link for our first album on last.fm. If you'd like an opinion on what it's like, here's a review that a music blogger gave us:

It took quite a few weeks, maybe even months, for me to truly see what the indie group cloudcover were trying to accomplish with their debut album, ‘Memento.’ On the surface you have a debut studio album by two relatively accomplished and efficient musicians, trying to make their stamp in the indie community with refreshing and interesting music. But is there more? Beneath the meandering though polarizing guitar solos and oddly addictive vocal ramblings of the front man, was there a desire for more? Was the purpose just to send a quick message and hope people listen through tried-and-true marketing tactics? You know, be a big cool rock band kind of thing?

No. there was absolutely more. ‘Love and War,’ one of the most shining tracks on the album, did not exist to be just music. Of course, this sounds like pretentious mockery, but really, the song…

I was left confused and puzzled, and as I continued stretching my hands into other new bands and dipping my habits into ridiculously mainstream hip-hop for that weird weekend following that awkwardly ill-timed break-up, I felt disloyal. My mind kept returning to cloudcover and ‘Memento.’ I couldn’t shake the feeling that I didn’t get everything out of ‘Love, Insomnia’s mesmerizing backbeat. There was still a lot more to be discovered in the thick layering of ‘Ignite’ or the drum-driven and harmonizing that rides ‘Small Talk.’ Some weird albums are weird to be weird. I believe you know what that means. Yet some albums seem purposeful while also being weird. Like a Stephen King novel. Like 80’s synth-goth.

‘Iron Cobwebs’ sounds like an early Beatles b-side. Blasphemy? Maybe. But listen to the song, its eerie vocal effects leaving the vocalist distant, and the absolutely sizzling guitar solo that tickles and worms its way into your ear. It ain’t ‘Money’ or ‘Hard Day’s Night,’ but it sure accomplishes something.

‘Leaving the City’ opens with a calming piano lead, seeming to be taken right from a Coldplay power ballad. Yet when the vocals kick, it’s just a guy annoyed about leaving, growing up, and being what I can only assume is a man facing the realty of reality. It’s a far cry from a Coldplay single.

I get the impression that cloudcover are smarter than me. Their music is odd, but not odd odd. There is an absolute point- a point where the boys of cloudcover were debating what kind of music they needed to make, and if their pursuit of the greatest questions in life could be justified by recording an album so excellent yet so polarizing.

So I return to my initial qualms- what is ‘Memento?’ Sure, it’s a collection of quirky songs that remain oddly substantial. Sure, it’s an eclectic mix of off-rhythm dance songs, piano driven ballads, and folk numbers, all accentuated by a vocalist who finds more comfort in Morrissey and ‘The National’’s Matt Berninger than, like, hitting the right keys. But I feel like the group added subliminal messages- making me question things about the realities of adolescence- making me question my musical tastes and entertainment habits. And after all that time spent thinking about not listening to cloudcover and secretly wanting to, and questioning other musical pursuits, I gave up. There is only so much running one can do. You eventually have to accept that odd little thing that sticks out like a sore thumb- that questions things and remains polarizing and exciting- maybe that is you. Maybe it is exactly you.

[youtube]4vLgNBqFtxU[/youtube]
[youtube]NweLHUJtmig[/youtube]

These guys are a pretty typical high school metal band, but I personally find this song to be pretty decent. They're not terrible live, either.

[youtube]DrFCjOaN2CY[/youtube]
[youtube]rA4m_Uc3HFw[/youtube]

These guys have a pretty legit indie sound going on. Built to Last is their only decent original song that they've really recorded, but I find it pretty solid. Their live attempt at Jesus of Suburbia was cute too! haha

Post any local bands in your area that you find decent, I love listening to them!

i don't know anything about my city's music scene, but nz in general has a rather awful music scene as it is. most of the good bands are from the north island or otago, oddly enough, but there is some pretty damn good nz music out there, mostly in the stoner scene.

arc of ascent - stoner metal.

deja voodoo - parody rock, but very entertaining.

flight of the conchords - comedy rap-funk guitar-based a capella. probably the best music you'll hear from nz.

jakob - post-rock, very good.

osmium - stoner metal, i quite like how the vocals are kinda hollow. nice and groovy.

razörwyre - heavy metal.

spook the horses - post-rock.

the house of capricorn - more stoner metal.

ulcerate - death metal / post-metal that will destroy you. "sonic assault" basically sums up the band.

winter deluge - pretty grim black metal.

Never heard your band's stuff till' now Byrne. Besides the super corny lyrics the album was quite pleasant.

jakob - post-rock, very good.
Lucky bastard.

Well, can't really say San Antonio has any notable bands. It's full of either:

A) Old dadrockers who write terribly cliche songs.
B) Old dadrockers who cover terribly cliche songs.
C) Young college kids playing crap like "Hey There Delilah."
D) Young college kids playing terrible Post-Hardcore music.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yeah, Pittsburgh's got stuff. Yeah I'm not expecting everyone to like the music I post but I don't care, I've seen most of these bands live and it's my solemn duty to spread them. They're all good imo

Liotta - pop punk
[youtube]MzVqOXY9HRg[/youtube]

The Young Giants - indie punk I guess, I'm good friends with the drummer, and he regularly has shows in his garage so he's a contributing member of society
NOT Young the Giant (different band that I've never listened to)
Their demo can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/?6off48pl083r9 They don't have any music up on YouTube, but they put their demo up for free so might as well get it.

Second Chapter - 90's sounding pop punk I guess, I know the vocalist/guitarist well
ReverbNation: http://www.reverbnation.com/secondchapterband

Hometown Advantage - umm pop punk maybe?
Bandcamp page for their Still Life album: http://hometownadvantage.bandcamp.com/album/still-life

May's Landing - yeah I know a lot of local pop punk bands.
[youtube]3hhBqW5u--o[/youtube]

Okay now for bands I haven't seen live

Mantic Ritual - Thrash metal
[youtube]Rmtxo3U4pVc[/youtube]

Bands I'm too lazy to link to that I can think of: Anti-Flag, Dethlehem, 50 Caliber Dream, I'm forgetting these ;_;

Yeah that's all for now. Shit, my grammar went down the drain.

Well living in London kind of has its musical advantages...people like Noah and the Whale, Bombay Bicycle Club, Jamie T, and The XX all come from pretty near where I live, but you couldn't really call them unrecognised (at least not here). Theres also an incredible dance music scene, but I get a feeling thats not what this thread is about.

Anyway, Little Comets are local to my uni (not London) so I guess that counts. They are a pretty normal indie band, but I really love their album for some reason.
[youtube]fTiGCYy73TU[/youtube]

Oh and this band recorded their album literally down the road...I absolutely love it and would recommend it to anyone
[youtube]MPH89HIBLiw[/youtube]

Never heard your band's stuff till' now Byrne. Besides the super corny lyrics the album was quite pleasant.
Corny lyrics? That's one I haven't really heard before haha. Most people think our lyrics are quite excellent. But I respect your opinion and I'm very glad you enjoyed it!

Didn't know you were a hipster byrne.

Anyways, does the Los Angeles Philharmonic count? I like mostly music without vocals so other than that i don't try to look for local indie bands. As i seriously doubt they will match Chopin, Eric Johnson or Yngwie Malmsteen.

Didn't know you were a hipster byrne.

Anyways, does the Los Angeles Philharmonic count? I like mostly music without vocals so other than that i don't try to look for local indie bands. As i seriously doubt they will match Chopin, Eric Johnson or Yngwie Malmsteen.
Just because I write indie music doesn't really mean I'm a hipster lol

Was in montreal last year and saw this band playing at a bar. They were pretty fucking fantastic, straight out of 1950

Hellbound Hepcats
[youtube]Qric5KmPS6c[/youtube]

EDIT: Django, that Tessellate track is fantastic!

I'm not too involved with the local music scene out here in Delft, the Netherlands, but one of my classmates plays in a band, and I think their music is pretty rad. I think they describe their music as 'dynamic rock' or something.

[youtube]eT_7eTXpeHk[/youtube]

[youtube]9dSJ63-S-RM[/youtube]

Corny lyrics? That's one I haven't really heard before haha. Most people think our lyrics are quite excellent. But I respect your opinion and I'm very glad you enjoyed it!
That probably came off unnecessarily harsh. Obviously the songwriting is miles ahead of your run of the mill Katy Perry crap. I suppose you know what I mean.

That probably came off unnecessarily harsh. Obviously the songwriting is miles ahead of your run of the mill Katy Perry crap. I suppose you know what I mean.
I feel ya. Thanks man! Nothing brings me more joy than people listening to our music!

Obviously the songwriting is miles ahead of your run of the mill Katy Perry crap.
I hate you.

Anyway, we have a band formed by my friend and his buddies called Spearpoint. I don't listen to them because I hate rock and metal, but this is one of their songs on YouTube.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)