Cost of Living in Australia, questions etc.

Racism is a big problem in Australia. From what I've noticed Asian people are generally well accepted though because they have always had a strong presence in Australia. For instance the Gold Rush brought a number of Asian people over and many of these people chose to stay and form families in Australia. This is particularly noticeable in places like Melbourne which is a great city to live in. These days racism is usually directed towards Indians and people from places like Afghanistan.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Racism is a big problem in Australia. From what I've noticed Asian people are generally well accepted though because they have always had a strong presence in Australia. For instance the Gold Rush brought a number of Asian people over and many of these people chose to stay and form families in Australia. This is particularly noticeable in places like Melbourne which is a great city to live in. These days racism is usually directed towards Indians and people from places like Afghanistan.
I thought Indians are way more intelligent and have a high ratio of population with Ph.D's.
Oh well, maybe the ones in Australia are from a different caste.

Shrugs*. Looks like working hard in a foreign country does pay off. People are less likely to discriminate you if you show them how good you can be.
I'd say, life is way better for an Asian this generation than generations before.

Is there racism towards international students, though?
At my uni there isn't any at all. We have a few Asian and European international students

I thought Indians are way more intelligent and have a high ratio of population with Ph.D's.
Oh well, maybe the ones in Australia are from a different caste.

Shrugs*. Looks like working hard in a foreign country does pay off. People are less likely to discriminate you if you show them how good you can be.
I'd say, life is way better for an Asian this generation than generations before.
If you can speak English well (which by looking at your typing, you can) without a really, really heavy accent (personally, I find thick Irish, Scottish and Indian accents difficult to understand) you shouldn't face too much open discrimination. I say open because some really douches will be racist behind your back. But those people are a minority.

Yes. I read an article in the paper which said that India had released a warning to everyone in their country that was considering traveling to Australia for study because of the violence. Gang bashings and the likes. However I don't think that age is really that relevant... it's all about race after all and stupidity on our behalf. Anyone, young or old can get bashed for their race. I think that the Indian government released that warning because the Indian nationals traveling to Australia will generally have less support here if something like racial violence happens to them. I think it's disgusting that the Indian government have to go that far to protect their citizens, Australia is a free country so race really shouldn't matter at all but sadly it does.

Yes. I read an article in the paper which said that India had released a warning to everyone in their country that was considering traveling to Australia for study because of the violence. Gang bashings and the likes. However I don't think that age is really that relevant... it's all about race after all and stupidity on our behalf. Anyone, young or old can get bashed for their race. I think that the Indian government released that warning because the Indian nationals traveling to Australia will generally have less support here if something like racial violence happens to them. I think it's disgusting that the Indian government have to go that far to protect their citizens, Australia is a free country so race really shouldn't matter at all but sadly it does.
The truth is that Indian newspapers freaked the fuck out and made it a much bigger issue than it actually is/was -- most numbers I've seen show Indian students are at no greater risk than anyone else (which is low because Australia is pretty safe), most Indians who actually live in Australia and are aware of the coverage in India will agree with this sentiment. Plus the majority of crimes the Indian consulate was aware of showed no signs of racial motivation.

The truth is that Indian newspapers freaked the fuck out and made it a much bigger issue than it actually is/was -- most numbers I've seen show Indian students are at no greater risk than anyone else (which is low because Australia is pretty safe), most Indians who actually live in Australia and are aware of the coverage in India will agree with this sentiment. Plus the majority of crimes the Indian consulate was aware of showed no signs of racial motivation.
Well I can only comment on what I've read in the paper.

There's definitely a sizable anti-Arabic sentiment in some parts of the population, but a lot of the "Indian Student Racism" was overblown - most of them weren't victims on-campus.

The ones that were attacked in Melbourne were typically walking alone, late at night, through areas that apparently were known to locals to be dangerous after dark. Apparently, (so I'm told), the Indian people in the region often worked strange hours (thus the late at night), and often in jobs that paid in cash that they carry around with them. Coupled with the fact that Indians are typically of small stature, they're almost the perfect victims for mugging.

That's not to say that there isn't racism, like most countries, but the whole thing was turned into a race issue when it wasn't really one (unlike, say, the Cronulla Riots).

This is an old post but I'd like to say no. There is however, quite a bit of violence targeted towards international students though. I don't believe it's deliberate per se, it's just a question of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

There are also racial issues, but hey, wherever there are people, there are racial issues. It just goes to show that people can be huge idiots.

Best advice: Take any racial back lash with a grain of salt. Best to ignore and avoid. Don't go anywhere you don't need to be (i.e. jogging at 2am in the morning; who does that?!). All up, Australia is a wonderful place and a very lucky country. I believe you'll be welcomed rather than criticized for your background if you study well and/or do good work :D

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I live in Brisbane, and I visited London for a month very recently. Australia is more expensive; it has a higher cost of living. There will be select items that are cheaper in London, but the general expense of living in Australia is far higher. This is reflected in Australia's minimum wage, which is almost double that of London's (assuming you are 21+ in Australia). It also really depends on your interests, but I think Australia is culturally premature in regards to its music / nightlife / youth pop. In Brisbane, we have one 'indie' radio station, Triple J, which is essentially attempting to monopolise the music market with their idea of a trendy sound. If you are an up and coming artist, you need to get your shit featured on Triple J to have almost any hope of success.

As I'm sure other people have mentioned food and public transport in Australia isn't great. The food is ridiculously expensive, and you would be hard-pressed to get anything decent for under 10$. Trains and buses are acceptable, at best, they're relatively infrequent and unreliable compared to London (or Shanghai, where I have also lived). Going out and drinking here also sucks ass, because of aforementioned shitty music and homogenous nightclub culture, also drinks are pricey when not bought from a liquor store. Very pricey. You also can't buy liquor here in convenience stores, only designated liquor stores. Everything also closes at around 7-8, with the exception of supermarkets and convenience stores, which close, at the latest, midnight. This Brisbane specific I believe, but walking around here is also kind of annoying because everything is on a ridiculous incline and there's often stretches of nothing but residential area outside of the city.

tl;dr I would live in London over Brisbane if I had the choice.

My experience commuting in Sydney is that the trains are reliable; buses are not. Food is cheapest around the universities, because they cater for students, but you're still looking at $10-12 for a meal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)