Counter that RU Pokemon! Community Teambuilder - Heysup vs. Pearl.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yo. Don't vote for yourself :]

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3457437

Sup people, I'm going to steal an idea from JabbaTheGriffin that was stolen from Phillip7068 called Counter that Pokemon. It's similar to Community Create-a-Team but it doesn't try to build a team that's going to go out and beast the metagame, but rather a team that simply beats the other team that's created. That's right, in Counter That Pokemon! two teams are made using user submitted sets that are geared both towards countering the other team and providing solid support/teammates to the rest of its own team.

As for how this will work, for the first day people (you guys!) will post a full set (evs, nature, etc) that you'd like to see Team 1 built around (one submission a day per user)! Provide some reasoning too for why users should choose your set. After it's voted on and decided, then we'll pick the first Pokemon for team 2 (the structure is 1, 2, 2, 1, 1, 2, 2, 1, 1, 2, 2, 1).

Voting will occur after one day and will last for a day, using a bold voting system, at the end of the day the submission with the most votes will join that particular team. At the very end, once all 12 Pokemon have been chosen, the two users who have the most sets chosen to be on the team will battle each other using the two teams that are created.

For posterity, something that Snunch posted in the UU CTP:
Snunch said:
The first pokemon chosen should be a solid pokemon that is downright impossible to completely shut down. What I mean is, if we went for a powerful pokemon like Alakazam or a gimmick mon like (insert dumb gimmick mon here), team 2 would use spiritomb or (insert dumb gimmick mon's hard counter here) and team 1 would be at a huge disadvantage. My first instinct was to start with a fast, bulky pokemon to get up hazards early like Deoxys-D, but it would be easy for team 2 to simply use a Xatu. What team 1 needs is a powerful, dangerous threat that can incapacitate its hard counters through smart play. A pokemon that, even if your opponent is completely prepared and knows what your set is, still has to play very well against in order to keep some sort of advantage.
Get to it!

Teams so far:
Team 1: Scolipede, Clefable, Torterra, Raichu, Medicham
Team 2: Rhydon, Ludicolo, Weezing, Sigilyph

Gallade (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak
- Ice Punch

Very beastly set. Also, SD Gallade is pretty underrated, I normally only see the Bulk Up versions or some Choice bs. After a Swords Dance, Close Combat is probably the most powerful attack in the metagame and will do insane amounts of damage, OHKOing pratically everything that doesn't resist it. Shadow Sneak is basic priority to pick off weakened targets and spell doom to Rotom. Ice Punch hits Claydol, Gligar, and other Flying crap, and thats it.

Double01

Hate it or love it the under dog's on top
Sceptile (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Rock
- Focus Blast
- Leaf Storm

Sceptile is extremely solid and well-rounded poke that is pretty dificult to counter. Hp rock does consistent damage against fire types such as moltres and entei as well as bug types. Even specially defensive behemoths such clefable and munchlax take a good chunk from focus miss. Usually only countered by scarfers due to it's enormous speed stat. Ferroseed also is 2hkoed by focus blast. It is an extremely good poke with very few counters. Also I chose to sun giga drain and leaf storm because giga drain is great for consistent damage as well as recovering LO damage. While Leaf Storm is that go to move where you need a ton of damage in one move.

Also blue stars gallade would be great if he could run 6 moves but that's not the case :P All joking aside gallade is still a great poke

Upstart

Copy Cat
Aerodactyl @ Life Orb
Jolly
252 Atk 252 Speed
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Roost
Taunt

Versatile against all play styles. Able to hit offense with his great speed while taunting to tear apart stall and balance.

move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Nasty Plot
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting
item: Leftovers
nature: Quiet
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
ivs: 2 Spe

Cofagrigus has great defenses, and Mummy gives it the ability to shut down Durant. Even with an offensive spread you're tanking a lot of hits, and after an NP boost you hit ridiculously hard, 2HKOing pretty much every mon in the metagame. Pretty simple, really.

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I really like this idea.

Honchkrow (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Honchkrow is a Pokemon that has mind games written all over it. With Brave Bird hitting slower foes, and Sucker Punch hitting faster ones, anything that does not resist the proper attack will be destroyed. Hidden Power Ground allows the short list of Honchkrow's checks (Aggron, Magneton, Steelix, Qwilfish) to meet their demise. Roost is there to remedy the tons of residual damage that Honchkrow is bound to take between Stealth Rock, Life Orb, and Brave Bird. It takes clever playing to avoid getting KOed by Sucker Punch without falling prey to one of Honchkrow's other powerful attacks.

I'm gonna post what I think one of the best team supporter out there, who really had no trouble with any specific pokemon:

Uxie @ Leftovers Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave

SR is fundamental in turning 2HKO's into OHKO's, with the support of Twave or Heal Bell, this Uxie is constantly helping the Team achieve its goal.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Slowking -

@ Life Orb
Ability - Regenerator
EVs - 248 HP | 252 SpA | 8 SpD
IVs - 31 | 31 | 31 | 31 | 31 | 0
Quiet (+ SpA | - Spe)

• Trick Room
  • Surf
  • Psyshock
  • Fire Blast

Slowking is probably one of the most underrated offensive Pokemon in RU metagame, since it can either run a Nasty Plot set or act as a standalone sweeper, like in this situation. However, unlike the other relevant standalone sweeper in RU, Cofagrigus, it focuses on its amazing coverage to do damage, making it harder to counter in the long run, once enough residual damage is racked up on the opponent's team. Here's the importable of this set, for the sake of it:

Slowking (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 SDef
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Fire Blast

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Scolipede (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Megahorn
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

imo, Spikes + 3 Attacks Scolipede would be a fantastic Pokemon to start this team off with. This would give us a powerful offensive mon who can also provide team support via Spikes, and this guy would make it difficult for the opponent to really "counter" our first Pokemon. Since Life Orb Megahorn hits so hard, especially with a Swarm boost, and Scolipede has excellent coverage in Earthquake and Rock Slide to work with, it doesn't really have a ton of Pokemon who can safely switch into it. The best part is, even if the opponent does pack a dedicated mon who can safely take on Scolipede's attacks, Scolipede can simply set up Spikes on the switch, which adds even more pressure on the opponent, and there are few Rapid Spinners who can really take on Scolipede one-on-one. Basically, I can see this guy as being a strong starting point for Team 1 who may be tricky for the opponent to play around due to its ability to both support and pose an offensive threat.

Entei @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Flare Blitz
- ExtremeSpeed
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Will-O-Wisp

This is the somewhat weird Entei set I've been using for a while, both in the ladder and in SPL. It has enough Speed to outspeed max Speed Honchkrow (I initially had less but changed it recently) and the added bulk has saved me in many matches. It can burn its common switch-ins such as Qwilfish, Gligar, and Slowking, which means the former two are now not threatening and the latter can be broken with some help from hazards. Quagsire and Rhydon are also burned on the switch and face HP Grass. Flare Blitz and ExtremeSpeed are still very powerful and deal huge damage

Texas Cloverleaf

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
At this point we will move to a simple bold vote to determine the first Pokemon for team one.

My vote goes to SilentVerse as I believe it is the least counter able Pokemon team one can have

I'm slightly torn. That scolipede is destroyed by some of the fast common leads... Manectric for example. If team 1 can manage to fit another "workable" lead (something that Manectic would be a poor lead vs) I go Silent Verse

Otherwise I want to lean towards Complete Legitimacy for sheer sweeping ability

Sorry if these comments aren't protocol in the vote process

Double01

Hate it or love it the under dog's on top
I wouldve probly liked seeing a focus sash on scolie just so u can always usually win you match ups and at least get 1 layer of spikes up. Also focus sash activates swarm and swarm boosted megahorn hits like a bitch. None the less I was never really fond of honchkrow either so I'll vote for Silentverse

Texas Cloverleaf

Congrats to SilentVerse for choosing the first Pokemon for team 1!
The final tally is:
SilentVerse - 6
Completelegitimacy - 3
zdrup15 - 1
blue_star - 1
Pearl. - 1

Scolipede will be the first mon on team 1. Your job now is to come up with a Pokemon on Team 2 to counter that pokemon! Also make sure you don't overcounter it or else you're going to strap Team 2 with a Pokemon that's only good with countering Scolipede and serving no larger purpose for the team.

Scolipede (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Megahorn
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

imo, Spikes + 3 Attacks Scolipede would be a fantastic Pokemon to start this team off with. This would give us a powerful offensive mon who can also provide team support via Spikes, and this guy would make it difficult for the opponent to really "counter" our first Pokemon. Since Life Orb Megahorn hits so hard, especially with a Swarm boost, and Scolipede has excellent coverage in Earthquake and Rock Slide to work with, it doesn't really have a ton of Pokemon who can safely switch into it. The best part is, even if the opponent does pack a dedicated mon who can safely take on Scolipede's attacks, Scolipede can simply set up Spikes on the switch, which adds even more pressure on the opponent, and there are few Rapid Spinners who can really take on Scolipede one-on-one. Basically, I can see this guy as being a strong starting point for Team 1 who may be tricky for the opponent to play around due to its ability to both support and pose an offensive threat.

bs zdrup16's entei was better
Steelix (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball
- Roar
this set can set up SR, roar scolipede out or just kill it with gyroball. This set also counters some of the strongest threats in the metagame z_z STEELIXX

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)