Counterproductivity - OU Trick Room RMT!

This is my first post and (obviously) RMT. I've played the game on and off for a while now, but I've really begun to get a feel for what I want my team to do. Thanks so much for all your advice so far, raters! Most recent changes are in grey italics.

This team started off as a monotype (Steel) Trick Room team. While that team was fun, it had glaring weaknesses. The biggest weakness it had was that I didn't take it seriously! Maybe I could've improved it to more competative levels, but I digress, that team is not what I'm here for. I took a lot of my experience from playing that team (Trick room is fun! I like steel types!) and tried to morph it into a more versatile, powerful team. Recently lost my team's data to some hard drive issues, so I'm rebuilding it from memory and writing it all down so I don't forget it again. I make no bold claims, I am still a beginner. My EV Spreads are nigh meaningless and need refinement but I lack the in-depth knowledge to tweak them precisely to the team's needs, which is one of the biggest reasons I'm here! I present to you..

Team Counterproductivity!

Part One - Productivity

From my early attempts at competing with an all steel trick room team, I quickly learned that one Trick Roomer was not enough. What started with Bronzong, a wall, and four varied sweepers soon brought in Jirachi, making the team a duo trick roomers and four janitors. Transitioning away from a gimmick and toward a more competative gameplan, I knew that wasn't enough. I needed a third. I weighed my options and settled on Dusknoir. Now Bronzong, Jirachi, and Dusknoir make up the backbone of my team. Paving the road with powerful support to allow my offensive core to drive through.

Wish Upon a Bad Pun, Jirachi

Nature - Relaxed
Ability - Serene Grace
Item - Lum Berry
HP - 240
DEF - 148
SpD - 120

Trick Room
Stealth Rock
Wish
U-Turn

A remnant of my all-steel team, Jirachi holds his spot well. Once supporting the team from the rear, he now leads from the front. You might even say that he's my team's...
*Sunglasses*
Star player.
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Jirachi is fairly bulky and is one of the only meaningful Pokemon with access to both Trick Room and Wish. Wish support is great, especially considering the consistancy of switching required for a Trick Room team to function and the lack of a Pokemon slot for a dedicated spinner.

Having moved into the Lead, Jirachi's strengths are now put to better use. Because Jirachi is a common lead with substantial unpredictability, while he is still just as suceptable to Taunt, opponents seem less likely to use it on Jirachi than they would be on Bronzong. Removing a status attack from his movepool is unfortunate, leaving him with virtually no offensive options, but with Trick Room/Stealth Rock for leading and Wish and U-Turn for use throughout the game, he's certainly not left wanting. Being able to Trick Room -> U-Turn to scout switches and send in an appropriate sweeper is wonderful. With the addition of Slowking, I've pushed Jirachi's defenses a little further toward the physical side.

Toll That Bell, Bronzong

Nature - Brave
Ability - Levitate
Item - Macho Brace
HP - 252
ATK - 252
SpD - 4

Trick Room
Gyro Ball
Earthquake
Explosion

Bronzong, having passed on his leading role to Jirachi, is now able to truly shine in the way I so dearly love. Being able to forgo Lead duties has allowed me to drop Stealth Rock from his movepool, and outside of setting up Stealth Rock after Trick Room, a Lum Berry isn't very important. So Bronzong is bulking up, and he's equipped a Macho Brace to show just how tough he is. Still a solid Trick Room user, Bronzong now occupies a position between support and sweeper. With Gyro Ball, Earthquake, and Explosion, Bronzong is much more threatening offensively.

You Only Think He's Smart Cause He's Got Such an Important Looking Hat, Slowking

Nature - Sassy
Ability - Own Tempo
Item - Leftovers
HP - 252
DEF - 216
SpD - 40

Trick Room
Slack Off
HP Grass
Psychic

The first change made to this team that lends most of its thanks to outside input was switching Dusknoir for Slowking. Dusknoir fills a substantial defensive and offensive void to Water types, most notably Gyarados. While the choice of moves may seem odd, forgoing Surf for Psychic was almost a necessity. With Own Tempo and Psychic he can smack Fighting Types (Read: Machamp) around from today until next week.

Part Two - Counter

Having settled on the backbone for my new trick room team, I knew using the same old tired pokemon and movesets wasn't going to be enough when the chips were down. I needed versatility, reliability, and most of all, brute force. I needed three pokemon to do the work of six. Here's what I've settled on for the time being, starting with the best.

Sand Storm's Comin', Tyranitar

Nature - Quiet
Ability - Sand Stream
Item - Expert Belt
HP - 240
Atk - 52
SpA - 216

Flamethrower
Ice Beam
Dark Pulse
Superpower

Tyranitar was made for trick room. With a movepool that easily counters her counters and is nearly impossible to wall, you'd think that'd be the end of it, but nope. She also sports an ability that wears down your opponent and breaks focus sashes. Having Trick Room around allows her to invest EVs usually put toward speed into HP, granting her bulk that's nothing to scoff at. Expert Belt is used because it's a shame to waste such gorgeous type coverage and drain your own HP. What more can I say? Trick Room, switch her in, lay waste.

Thermal Exchange, Heatran

Nature - Quiet
Ability - Flash Fire
Item - Life Orb

HP - 252
ATK - 4
SpA - 252

Fire Blast
Earth Power
HP Electric
Explosion

Heatran is the only sweeper that still earns a spot on my team from the 'good old days', and that's because he's solid. And adorable. D'awwww look at that face. Flash Fire absorbing Will'o'wisp and fire attacks that would hit Bronzong/Jirachi hard is powerful, and on top of that, his attacking power is gargantuan with two solid STAB options and HP Grass to give him good coverage, and Explosion to take out likely counters or finish up a Trick Room. HP Electric is chosen because a 0 speed IV/EV Swampert will outspeed him in trick room, wheras Gyarados never will.

Well, it's Rhyperior

Nature Brave
Ability - Solid Rock
Item - Life Orb

HP - 248
ATK - 252
DEF - 8

Swords Dance
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Megahorn

There's gotta be something better to put here. He feels like filler. Gargantuan attack, abysmal speed. Kills stuff dead. Brings the physical hurt where Heatran and Tyranitar push more to the special end. Even so, he feels lacking. So predictable, putting Rhyperior on a trick room team. I'm at a loss. Surely there's something that rounds out my team better, but it hasn't dawned on me yet. Oh well. Trick Room gets set up, Rhyperior switches in, maybe swords dances, maybe doesn't, starts killing things. Loves that sandstorm.

So there we have it. The general flow of the team is "Get Trick Room, Kill Stuff, switch to a trick roomer that can survive whatever pokemon my opponent has in when trick room runs out, Get Trick Room". It works out decently, but I definitely feel the team lacks the polish it needs to really shine.

Appendix A:
Old Team Members
~
The Will of the Wisp,
Dusknoir

Nature - Relaxed; Ability - Pressure; Item - Leftovers; EVs: HP - 252, DEF - 252, SpD - 4; Moves: Trick Room, Will-o-wisp, Pain Split, Shadow Sneak; Dusknoir was the first new addition to the team after its evolution from "YEAH I LIKE STEEL POKEMON". Absurd bulkiness, support through WoW, able to threaten KOing things it can wall through WoW->pain split->[...]->pain split->shadow sneak. EV spread is for nothing but bulk. Unlike the other two, I feel Dusknoir really requires no explanation. A solid bulky trick roomer that just so happens to be immune to fighting and normal attacks.

Dusknoir has been placed on the back burner. Legacy Raider suggested Slowking in his place, and I wholeheartedly agreed. Slowking is strong against many things my team is weak to. He fills the spot much better. Dusknoir isn't out of the running permanently just yet. Maybe he'll find his place back in the team eventually.

Appendix B:
Old Strategies

Lead Bronzong's usage notes, outdated due to Jirachi replacing him as the lead - Moves: Trick Room, Stealth Rock, Gyro Ball, Explosion; Bronzong is the biggest holdover from my gimmicky all-steel team, but if my experience taught me anything, it was that Bronzong is a pretty solid lead for Trick Rooming. The Lum Berry prevents steamrolling by faster sleepers. Still dies to a surprise fire attack now and then. Of my three trick roomers, I feel like Bronzong is the weak link, but as far as weak links go, he's not so bad. Bulkiness, Trick Room, Stealth Rock, and STAB Gyro-Balls have earned him his lead position handily. Almost always opens with Trick Room, which allows me to scout out my opponent's lead's strategy, assuming I don't get killed instantly, then follows up with Stealth Rock. Reacts to Taunt by throwing Gyro Balls furiously. If he's still alive, paper thin speed-centric Pokemon get Gyro Balled, tough Pokemon that I foresee trouble with later get Exploded on. If neither of those seem like a useful decision, I switch him out to one of my three sweepers to the best of my prediction ability, although sometimes I'll find Bronzong has used his entire Trick Room himself. Max Attack gyro balls are just so tempting, I'd throw them at things forever, if only I could. I'm sure this EV Spread could be done more efficiently, but this is what he's currently running. I switch back and forth between explosion and earthquake but here he is, as he currently is.

Non-Lead Jirachi usage notes, outdated due to Jirachi switching to lead position - Moves: Trick Room, Wish, U-Turn, Ice Punch
; Ice Punch is chosen for coverage as well as the most appreciated status effect available. (Paralyze can sometimes drop an opponent's Pokemon into outspeeding in trick room/Burn is covered by Dusknoir/The things Jirachi can flinch to death are limited.) EV spread gives Jirachi a lot of bulk, focusing a bit more on the special side since Dusknoir has physical walling covered, but with a bit of DEF simply because of how common earthquake is.

I would consider adding a very fast pokemon like an Infernape in case your trick room is out and you need a sweeper or something in those lines... So I would suggest taking out maybe dusknoir for an infernape (Mixape)? Also, I would consider switching the gyro ball of your bronzong for a screen (and switching it's item to clay thingy).

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well I think that changing T-tar into a physical varient is worth a shot as it can hit things much harder and Heatran can handle the special side of things. I also believe that a Metagross over Rhyperior can work on your team and can do massive damage.

If Armaldo wasnt in the UU ( i think) it would be perfect for your team cause of its low speed and high attack and defense, but you have Rhyperior so it works out (despite not being steel type).

Anyway i agree with TheAmazingFlygon, you need a faster pokemon in case you dont have a trick roomer left, i recommend Aerodactyl.
Here is the set.

Aerodactyl @ Choice Band
Pressure
Jolly Nature
-EQ
-Stone Edge
-Aqua Tail
-Fire Fang
EV Spread: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe.

Of course is totally up to you. But its still a good idea, just in case everything else fails.

In order for Bronzong to become a screener I would need some other pokemon to cover Stealth Rocks. Relying on Bronzong to set up Trick Room AND Stealth Rock AND a screen seems like trying to accomplish far too much. Also I don't like the idea of opening myself up to getting slept by faster leads or being left with no attacks but Explosion if I get taunted. Maybe if I take him out of the lead position. My lead definitely has to be able to do the following:

- Take a hit from most common leads.
- Respond to common Taunt leads with a threat.
- Set up Trick Room and Stealth Rock

I'm trying out switching Jirachi into the lead position. So far he seems better suited to it than Bronzong and it allows me to take Stealth Rock off of 'Zong and let him run his full assortment of attack moves. I'll update once I see how that goes.

I've also considered making one of my Trick Roomers (Maybe Jirachi?) invest in substantial speed so I have one I can fall back on in a situation where I don't have anyone that can safely take a hit to set it up, but having one of my sweepers be high speed seems like it would weaken my overall strength and synergy, reducing the options I have while trick room is active (Something I am actively trying to accomplish) "just in case".

I agree that having nothing but slow Pokemon can be a hindrance, however... I think having a slower pokemon with access to a strong priority move in addition to having deep move-pool coverage would be a solid choice. The problem is I'm not sure which Poke in particular I'd want to use. I'd have to think about what weaknesses I really need to cover. Metagross sounds like a great idea but I worry that might be exacerbating my ground/fire weaknesses too far.

Also, re:Tyranitar. While a Physical set is capable of hitting harder, in my experience far more people run physically bulky Pokemon due to the prevalance of punchan over shootan in the meta, letting him run wild with his special focus, and Mixtar kicks the crap out of Blissey, the most common special wall.

Edit number 6billion: I don't like using Choice items with trick room teams. I know they can be very powerful but it's already such a juggling act that having to switch out after being locked into a sub-optimal move can be crippling.

I have run a Trick Room team before, and they aren't that bad considering how much effort people put into making things faster than others.

Bronzong and Dusknoir are definite keepers, though I would change Dusknoir's attacking move. Dusknoir will be going first most of the time anyway, due to Trick Room, and you don't really need priority in it. I would either use Ice Punch or Earthquake in place of Shadow Sneak. In fact, if you want, you can run both and take off Pain Split, since it's a bit shaky and you have Jirachi to throw Wishes around.

Try a Mixed Dragonite to take advantage of Trick Room, as it is slower than Salamence, so it won't be outclassed. Just modify its Nature to make it slower, and split the EVs between Attack and Sp. Attack, maybe a few in HP. Put this over your weak link.

Rhyperior should probably be replaced by a faster Pokemon to revenge kill after Trick Room is gone. Maybe a Scarfed Starmie? The only problem is, that's extreme Scizor bait. Weavile, maybe?

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
@ BlueEye - firstly, Armaldo can still be used on an OU Trick Room team even if it is UU. Secondly, that Aerodactyl brings very little to the table for Anryu's team. Choice Band Aerodactyl is a bad Pokemon in general and even worse on this team as all it will be doing is exasperating the team's Water / Steel weakness.

Anyway, this looks to be a solid foundation for a Trick Room team. Usually Trick Room teams have difficulty against stall teams and more defensive teams in general, but you seem to have them covered with your MixTar and SD Rhyperior. The only thing I would really recommend is something a bit more reliable as a transition Trick Room user. Right now your team suffers from having no Water resists and several Pokemon weak to it. A Taunt DD Gyarados effectively shuts down your entire team if it comes in once Trick Room is down. A Mix Infernape does similar without any set up at all if it comes in once TR goes down. Dusknoir seems to be the weak link in this team as it isn't bringing anything more than a relatively bulky Trick Room user - let's look at the pool of available TR users and see if anything more helpful for covering your team's weaknesses pops out at us:

Slowking @ Leftovers
Sassy - Oblivious
252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
- Surf
- HP Electric
- Slack Off
- Trick Room

Slowking has much more reliable recovery than Dusknoir and a much more helpful typing for your team's needs. It fixes your Gyarados and Infernape issues, being able to survive a +2 LO Grass Knot from Infernape and anything LO Gyarados can throw its way as well. Slowking also has many more opportunities to come into play than Dusknoir does - it can come in on any bulky Water-type or Heatran/Infernape and get your team's momentum rolling again.

The only other thing I could recommend is replacing Jirachi's Leftovers with a Shuca Berry for extra insurance against things like DD Gyarados / Salamence / Tyranitar, meaning you can always get that Trick Room off in a pinch if something does manage to set up on you during your down turn.

Best of luck with what looks to be quite a well thought through team, despite your opening comments :).

Slowking! Awesome! Brilliant!

I've known about my team's water weakness for some time, and playing as an all steel team taught me pretty handily how weak my go-to Pokemon were to Fire. I really do like Dusknoir though, with such a strong physical meta I really like having Will-o-Wisp as well as his humongous bulk. Just FYI, Shadow Sneak is there because when I'm using Dusknoir's attack, it's usually because I'm stalling someone out, meaning Trick Room is likely over.

Slowking, though... I would've considered switching Bronzong for him but the way you put it, it really does make more sense to switch out Dusknoir. I like him but you're right, he's not doing anything special for me. I do worry that this will leave me with a glaring hole when it comes to dealing with fighting types.

Also, man, I'm annoyed. I was all set to try out my plan for a mixed Trick Room Dragonite..

Dragonite

Brave
24 HP
252 ATK
232 SpA
Inner Focus
Life Orb

Earthquake
Extremespeed
Superpower
Draco Meteor

But I'm not sure if I'm happy with it. I'll keep this idea in mind until such a time that I can use it. Updating original post with changes soon(tm).

Aaaand updated!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)