CoverageMons

How broken would be Genesect in this meta if it wasn't Uber and thus banned?

• More broken than Mega Kanga on Standard

Votes: 54 54.5%
  • More broken than OHKO moves

Votes: 23 23.2%
  • It would be balanced

Votes: 22 22.2%

• Total voters
If only Dragalge wasn't so slow or had any first priority moves.. Rolling with Play Rough, Thunder, Focus Blast, and Hyper Beam (If you don't mind getting destroyed on your cool down.) in his move set, adaptability may prove useful for this seaweed seahorse.

oh ok didn't read the op properly. Still seems silly to me how adaptability works now.
If Adaptability gave you a 2x STAB in this meta, it would be extremely OP, since you would have a 2x STAB and a 1.5x DTAB. This could potentially put it on the banlist, and at the very least it goes against the spirit of the meta.

Making Adaptability give a 2x DTAB fits the spirit of the ability, and prevents it from being too overpowered in the meta.

If Adaptability gave you a 2x STAB in this meta, it would be extremely OP, since you would have a 2x STAB and a 1.5x DTAB. This could potentially put it on the banlist, and at the very least it goes against the spirit of the meta.

Making Adaptability give a 2x DTAB fits the spirit of the ability, and prevents it from being too overpowered in the meta.
Adaptability can be seen as multiplying the power of same-type attacking moves by 4/3, which combines with existing STAB to give the 2x you're thinking of. Using that interpretation, it would function as a ~33.3% damage boost on same-type moves, which is both faithful to the original implementation and not overpowered (probably).

So, every mon that gets Rock and Ground type or Electric and Ice type moves but isn't a Rock or Ground or Ice or Electric type gets perfect coverage AND STAB...

There's going to be a lot of EdgeQuake and BoltBeam in this meta, I think.

Tyrantrum @ Life Orb
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant
- Ice Fang
- Thunder Fang
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance / Rock Polish

Ironically enough, after all the Rock Head hype, We're back to using Strong Jaw on Tyrantrum. And its better than ever.
With 121 Atk and Life Orb, Tyrantrum's Crunch puts Mega Sharpedo's to shame. Throw in the 97.5 bp Thunder and Ice Fang giving that epic physical Bolt Beam coverage (perfect neutral coverage with Crunch), and you've got your self an epic DD/RP sweeper. Another really cool thing is that I can imagine Quick Attack and Extreme Speed being the most common priority moves, and as a speed boosting sweeper, it is really nice to resist both.

thesecondbest

Just Kidding I'm First
Boomburst Noivern, Thunderbolt Porygon-Z, Drill Run M-Beedrill, and stuff like that defines this metagame.
Out of those, only the former is actually threatening tbh. tbolt pz is barely stronger than current tri attack and beedrill is still super frail and stab uturn is better. but yeah boomburst noivern.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
TBH, I agree that Adaptability should boost attacks to ≈1.33x their standard BP as opposed to boosting DTAB attacks in order to retain the way that said ability works. It would open up a lot of options on the Pokémon which get said ability, such as not making Mega Beedrill ass and actually giving Dragalgae attacking options which are worth using.

So, what I am saying is that I agree with Akumeoy that it'd be better if a Pokémon with Adaptability had a 1.5x boost to moves of a different type to that of the user and a ≈1.33x boost to moves of the same type as the user.

Out of those, only the former is actually threatening tbh. tbolt pz is barely stronger than current tri attack and beedrill is still super frail and stab uturn is better. but yeah boomburst noivern.
The nice thing about Thunderbolt Porygon-Z is that it can actually hit supereffectively now which it can't do with Tri-Attack.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 160 Atk / 96 SpA / 252 Spe
Ability: Magician
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Punch
- Energy Ball / Fire Punch / Shadow Ball / Drain Punch / Knock Off

Tell the meta I loved it.

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 160 Atk / 96 SpA / 252 Spe
Ability: Magician
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Punch
- Energy Ball / Fire Punch / Shadow Ball / Drain Punch / Knock Off

Tell the meta I loved it.
Briefly, that EV spread can be changed/optimised - the ATK EVs are there to guarantee an OHKO on standard Clefable in OU with a Life Orb, but you a) get DTAB, b) aren't carrying a LO, and c) Clef will likely be a bit less common. But yes, this thing will be a monster to face, though the ubiquitous DTAB U-turn won't do it any favours.

So that this post has a bit more content, I went through and looked at (offensively inclined) OU legal Megas. I was slightly surprised that a lot of them are good mainly because of their STABs (shoutouts to Garde/Pinsir/Alt/Glalie), but there are a couple of mons which stand out.

Beedrill has just about decent coverage, between Return/Double-Edge, Brick Break, Drill Run, and Knock Off/Pursuit. It has access to Swords Dance to sweep late game, or, if your opponent can wall it, then just Baton Pass the boosts away (you also have Agility if you'd prefer). I'm very keen to try out Beedrill at some point.

Alakazam has more or less everything it gets in OU, except Psyshock is now a coverage move + Chansey Killer (although it's less effective at breaking the blob). Still, perfect coverage from Shadow Ball and Focus Blast is very neat.

Absol has an absol-utely (sorry) ridiculous movepool, mainly on the special side (seriously, this thing learns everything) but you do get Shadow Claw + Superpower for physical moves (perfect coverage!), and some other cool things like Stone Edge, and also Swords Dance to break things.

Abomasnow gets Slidequake on the Physical side, and has the stats and movepool to go mixed, but its speed and typing still suck, and it's not quite bulky enough to see large amounts of play imo. Worth using just for the thought of an Outraging whatever-the-hell-it-is.

Aerodactyl gets Tough Claws elemental fangs, Aqua Tail, Pursuit... Pursuit trapping gains a few more viable users (it also gets Crunch for the 50/50s). Pretty cool.

Speaking of Pursuit, Metagross gets that alongside punching "boltbeam" and Slidequake, and all its normal tools.

Oh, and Scizor gets Technician Pursuit, Aerial Ace, and Quick Attack I guess, alongside its normal moves. RIP Psychic- and Ghost-types?

Blastoise looks pretty strong. Firing off obscenely strong Aura Spheres, Dark Pulses, Dragon Pulses and Flash Cannons (does this get boosted? Either way it provides perfect neutral coverage iirc), or giving up a move for the utility of Rapid Spin, it's much better than it is in standard, with the same excellent defensive typing.

Gallade has a surprisingly large movepool with elemental punches, Shadow Sneak, Knock Off, and about a billion other moves.

Medicham is very similar to Gallade, but notably gets DTAB Fake Out + Bullet Punch, though losing STAB HJK hurts a bit.

Gyarados has Moldy EdgeQuake, not much else to say which is different from standard.

Heracross gets DTAB Rock Blast and Earthquake, along with Swords Dance and Knock Off. Just in case you thought stall had a semblance of viability.

Tyranitar's movepool is arguably even larger than Absol's; it can basically run whatever moves you want. You're probably better off with regular Ttar, but if you don't have a mega, then it's certainly an option.

Most other megas are either more defensively inclined (eg Aggron), have a tiny movepool outside of STABs (think Pidgeot), or are reliant on their STAB(s) (Altaria, Char-Y). I may have missed a couple of things too but I am unfortunately human.

also Mega RayRay DTAB V-Create y/y

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)