• Dragon Dance
  • Superpower
  • Double Edge
  • Switcheroo
TM
  • Swords Dance
  • Substitute
General Analysis:
Ever since Crawdaunt has been released in Gen III, it has always been one of the most forgotten Water types competitively. At first glance, Crawdaunt seems to have quite a bit going for it: strong STAB moves, great mixed attacking stats, and a movepool with gems such as Dragon Dance and Swords Dance. However, a closer look reveals some equally serious problems. Its defenses are average at best, and its Speed borders on pitiful.

In Gen V, Crawdaunt received the highly coveted Adaptability via Dream World, which allowed it to practically 2HKO the entire tier in the rain. However, it still struggled to compete with other Physical Water offensive Pokemons such as Azumarill, who has access to priority in the form of Aqua Jet, ad Gyarados, who has way better bulk.

In our newest generation, we not only got a new lobster in Clawritzer, but our old lobster Crawdaunt got some new toys to play with, namely access to Aqua Jet which he always wanted, and a huge buff to Knock Off. Additionally, Crabhammer also got an increase in BP to 100. All of these gives our badass lobster a new leash of life in this generation.
Potential Sets

Choice Band

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Crunch/Superpower

This set works like Azumarill 2.0, with a stronger Aqua Jet, and an different alternative STAB to boot, one which is stronger in fact. This set aims to take advantage of Crawdaunt's 2 newest attacks which hurt insanely, coming from a huge 120 base attack boosted with Adaptability.

Knock Off is the crux of the set this gen, which also received a huge buff in damage to 65 BP, which becomes 97 BP if the target is holding an item, which further increases to a massive 194 BP thanks to Adaptability, making it THE strongest unboosted Physical Dark typed attack in the entire tier. Knock Off dealing insane damage even to resisted targets is a testament to its power. Below are just a few calculations to show how strong this attack really is:

• -2 252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash: 232-276 (71.6 - 85.18%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 412-488 (110.1 - 130.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Trevenant: 564-664 (150.8 - 177.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 344-406 (96.08 - 113.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off vs. 244 HP / 40+ Def Gliscor: 238-282 (67.61 - 80.11%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 48+ Def Ferrothorn: 228-270 (64.77 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 212-250 (50.4 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 172-203 (44.55 - 52.59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO since Multiscale is broken after 1st hit
The following ones survive the 2HKO:
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 188-222 (57.49 - 67.88%)
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 152-180 (38.57 - 45.68%)
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 152-179 (37.62 - 44.3%)
Knock Off deals massive damage to even resists like Tyranitar, and Physical walls like Skarmory. For all those that survive the 2HKO, if you nail them with Crabhammer instead, its a different story. This means that you can always come in on something that Crawdaunt's Aqua Jet forces out, and still nail the switch-in for massive damage, even if resisted.

Crabhammer is especially monstrous that it cleanly OHKO's Blissey and many other walls that Knock Off is unable to. If we were to compared the damage output of that to something we currently see, imagine +1 252+ Dragonite's Outrage, it's stronger than that.

Aqua Jet is another bonus it got. For a rough estimate of how powerful an Aqua Jet is, think of +0 252+ Arceus's Extremespeed in Ubers, that is the amount of damage a Banded Aqua Jet from Crawdaunt is. In case you may be wondering, this Aqua Jet is even more powerful that one from Azumarill, essentially performing Azumarill's role in picking off weakened foes if Azumarill doesn't fit into the team well.

Crunch is the primary slash in the last slot because it lets you deal more easily with stuff that resist Crabhammer, and cannot have their items knocked off, notably against Mega Blastoise and Mega Venusaur. While trivial, it also allows you to deal greater damage with Knock Off > Crunch, in the event that your own Choice Band is knocked off or tricked away.

Superpower allows you to get past Mega-Gyarados and Hydreigon that try to switch into an Aqua Jet. At first glance, Double Edge might seem useful to 2HKO on Azumarill, but that's all it is doing, especially considering Crabhammer is getting the same 2HKO at 100% rate and its not becoming a OHKO even with hazards.

Max Spd EVs allows you to reach you to reach 209 Spd, which outspeeds min Spd Rotom-A by 1 point, as well as min Spd Mega-blastoise and Mega-Venusaur. However, an alternate spread of 92 Spd / 252 Atk / 164 HP can also be considered, to just outspeed and OHKO 8 Spd Scizor and min Spd Jellicent before they can KO/cripple you respectively. At the same time, the alternate spread also allows you to always survive LO EQ from Mamoswine.

Between min Adamant (146) and max speed Jolly Crawdaunt (229), these are some important speed tiers to aim for imo (all are Adamant except the one I specifically stated Jolly):
  • 44 for 0 Spd Aegislash
  • 52 for 0 Spd Tyranitar
  • 88 for 124 Spd Mawile and 76 Spd Trevenant (though both are made to speed creep Scizor, so just run 92 in case of Jellicent as well)
  • 92 for 0 Spd Scizor and 44 Spd Jellicent
  • 124 for 0 Spd Skarmory, Relaxed Mega Venusaur,
  • 176 for 0 Spd Heatran
  • 184 for 0 Spd Mega Blastoise
  • 204 for 0 Spd Mandibuzz, Goodra
  • 204 Jolly for 0 Spd Roserade (or base 90s)
  • 244 for 0 Spd Cro-cune
  • 252 for 0 Spd Rotom-W

Swords Dance
Crawdaunt @ Life Orb/Lum Berry/Splash Plate
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Swords Dance

Unlike the previous set which aims to break walls, and revenge kill stuff, this set aims to sweep with +2 with a Swords Dance. After a single Swords Dance, Crawdaunt's Aqua Jet becomes insanely powerful, OHKO-ing threats like Gliscor, Lucario and Gengar, and even Garchomp after Spikes. Water + Dark has really good coverage this gen considering the nerf to Steel so it can easily give up a coverage move for Crabhammer AND Aqua Jet, which can practically 2HKO any switch in. Knock Off is always preferred over Crunch because 2 Knock Off is still stronger than 2 Crunches, which should 2HKO whatever needed anyway. Life Orb is the preferred item because it allows you to OHKO standard Ferrothorn at 100% chance. Splash Plate is also viable if you can ensure Spikes up, otherwise Ferrothorn will put a clean stop to your sweeps. The alternate spread also applies to this set if you are not too concerned about Rotom-A and Mega-Venusaur/Mega-Blatoise.

Other Options

Crawdaunt also gets Switcheroo as an egg move, which is somewhat useful against huge walls on the CB set. However, most of the walls it face are 2HKOed anyway, so it is not worth sacrificing the additional coverage for it. Crawaunt also gets access to the hightly coveted Dragon Dance, but it is usually outclassed by Gyarados in that aspect, due to greater bulk, and Intimidate. A sub+pinch berry set can also be considered, but it is generally weaker compared to SD + LO.

Teammate options

Crawdaunt generally work well with Pokemons that can has problems getting past Pokemons such as Aegislash, Scizor, Tyranitar. Gengar is immune to Fighting type attacks targetted at Crawdaunt and resists Fairy, and can hit back hard, and Crawdaunt gets rid of Aegislash, Scizor and Tyranitar that gives Gengar a lot of problems.

Volcarona also has great type synergy with Crawdaunt, switching into Bug, Fighting, Grass, Fairy typed attacks targetted at Crawdaunt with impunity and getting a easy Quiver Dance up. Crawdaunt also get rid of Tyranitar which Volcarona cannot get past without at least a few boosts. Recoil-suicide Tailwind Talonflame also makes a fantastic teammate due to its typing, and Tailwind allow you to remedy its poor speed for a few turns.

Rain support is always welcomed for a hard hitters like Crawdaunt. Politoed is a obvious choice though Bronzong's great type synergy also makes for a good manual setter. Bronzong also can get dual screen up if Crawdaunt needs any help getting a SD up.

Scolipede is also a good teammate for Crawdaunt. "They work really well together now that Scolipede has speed boost. It's Bug/Poison typing lets it take out Darks and Fairies with ease, 2 types that can cause Crawdaunt problems if it's only running Water/Dark moves. Azumarill and Hydreigon are the two big ones I've encountered online, a Mega Horn/Posion Jab takes them out then baton pass back to Crawdaunt to continue the sweep." -Credits to Krakus

Conclusion

From current metagame conditions, it is hard to say where the access to the strongest Aqua Jet in the game will bring Crawdaunt to, but its access to Aqua Jet definitely lead it to be considered when thinking of a water type, with strong wallbreaking abilities.

Just some fun facts:
252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def (custom): 136-162 (39.8 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def (custom): 163-193 (47.8 - 56.5%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def (custom): 135-160 (39.5 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Crabhammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def (custom): 588-691 (172.4 - 202.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Life Orb Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def (custom): 703-828 (206.1 - 242.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def (custom): 234-278 (68.6 - 81.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Arceus-Ghost Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def (custom): 235-277 (68.9 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Why Crawdaunt deserves a thread

What has always been holding Crawdaunt back was its subpar speed combined with low bulk, and no access to priority attacks, also that Ferrothron was basically present on half all teams. This gen, Crawdaunt got that priority attack, which is stronger than that from Azumarill. The new changes to Dark attacks makes it able to smash right past Steel type attacks with Knock Off. Being arguably the only offensive user of Knock Off also means something to our lobster.
Overview:
What Crawdaunt got from XY includes 2 very useful moves in the form of Knock Off and Aqua Jet, which makes it extremely difficult to switch in. As the metagame shifts towards its current form, it becomes immensely beneficial for Crawdaunt, who outspeeds and defeats slower teams with Knock Off, or sweep HO teams with SD + Aqua Jet. This makes Crawdaunt very viable on a whole as a wallbreaker sans sweeper.

Wallbreaker
Crawdaunt @ Life Orb / Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance / Crunch / Superpower / Aerial Ace

Adaptability boosted Knock Off is just really powerful and can 2HKO most switch ins with little problem, even resists, along with the handy effect of removing the items. This is coupled by that fact that there are little defensive Dark resists now that Mandibuzz is dying in usage. Crabhammer is immensely powerful, 2HKOing stuff that Knock Off cannot, such as Azumarill. Aqua Jet is just a handy move to have since speed is not Crawdaunt's forte, and allows it to get a sweep going in the case it can get a SD boost. Crunch, Superpower and Aerial Ace are for Venusaur, Mega Gyara and Chesnaught + Keldeo respectively.

Checks and Counters
Go read the victim of the week thread, there is a list of it, I'm lazy to type.

Ok yey discuss lol.

Last edited:
Crawdaunt is my favourite Pokemon so I was very happy to see all the buffs he's gotten this gen. I think he's been slightly overlooked considering it's looking like with access to Aqua Jet and Crabhammer boosted to 100BP that he'll be one of the big winners this gen. I don't know if it'll be enough to propel it into common usage, but they're most welcome all the same. I'm using a set very similar to your Swords Dance set at the moment:

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Dragon Dance

As you said, Water and Dark have excellent coverage with only a few niche Pokemon resisting both (Crawdaunt being one ironically) so I havn't had much trouble with that, and the new Crabhammer is so ridiculously powerful now it feels like a waste not to have it. Dragon Dance because the additional speed opens up options against mons that would normally outspeed it, allowing it to use the more powerful Crunch and Crabhammer more liberally.

Crawdaunts deficiencies are all still there though, even if Aqua Jet allowed it to cover them up a bit. Being slow and fragile has never been a good combination and for Crawdaunt to be usable it still needs the rest of your team choices to complement it well, it's definitely not a mon you can slot into any team and expect it to do well. Personally I've teamed it up with Scolipede, they work really well together now that Scolipede has speed boost. It's Bug/Poison typing lets it take out Darks and Fairies with ease, 2 types that can cause Crawdaunt problems if it's only running Water/Dark moves. Azumarill and Hydreigon are the two big ones I've encountered online, a Mega Horn/Posion Jab takes them out then baton pass back to Crawdaunt to continue the sweep.

Crawdaunt is my favourite Pokemon so I was very happy to see all the buffs he's gotten this gen. I think he's been slightly overlooked considering it's looking like with access to Aqua Jet and Crabhammer boosted to 100BP that he'll be one of the big winners this gen. I don't know if it'll be enough to propel it into common usage, but they're most welcome all the same. I'm using a set very similar to your Swords Dance set at the moment:

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Dragon Dance

As you said, Water and Dark have excellent coverage with only a few niche Pokemon resisting both (Crawdaunt being one ironically) so I havn't had much trouble with that, and the new Crabhammer is so ridiculously powerful now it feels like a waste not to have it. Dragon Dance because the additional speed opens up options against mons that would normally outspeed it, allowing it to use the more powerful Crunch and Crabhammer more liberally.

Crawdaunts deficiencies are all still there though, even if Aqua Jet allowed it to cover them up a bit. Being slow and fragile has never been a good combination and for Crawdaunt to be usable it still needs the rest of your team choices to complement it well, it's definitely not a mon you can slot into any team and expect it to do well. Personally I've teamed it up with Scolipede, they work really well together now that Scolipede has speed boost. It's Bug/Poison typing lets it take out Darks and Fairies with ease, 2 types that can cause Crawdaunt problems if it's only running Water/Dark moves. Azumarill and Hydreigon are the two big ones I've encountered online, a Mega Horn/Posion Jab takes them out then baton pass back to Crawdaunt to continue the sweep.
2 Knock Off (97 + 65 = 162) is stronger than 2 Crunches (160), so you should always run that over Crunch. I don't seem to remember that when I did my calculations, anything that needs 3 Crunches to KO, which you cannot with Knock Off is always better.

My main concern about a Dragon Dance set is how it has competition with Mega Gyarados, who boast way better Speed and bulk. The thing about a Dragon Dance set is that Crawdaunt is slower than 252+ base 95 speeds even with a Dragon Dance. From what I have tried, you are not likely to get more than 1 boost most of the time, so Swords Dance is usually more worth it, considering how insanely powerful a +2 Aqua Jet is. I might try it out though, and if it meets expectation, I will add it in the OP.

And thanks for the team mater suggestion, will add it in too.

I think we can safely say that gyarados will be a tier or two above crawdaunt, so I don't think we have to worry about that competition.

MegaGyarados is faster but lacks strong Dark STAB and can be outpowered (!) by Crawdaunt thanks to Adaptability, higher BP STAB moves and ability to equip a boosting item.
No doubt that Gyarados is a better Pokemon but I don't think MegaGyarados is in direct competition with Crawdaunt because of taking the Mega spot and being, in some ways, worse than Gyarados.
Crawdaunt's main issue is that it's quite frail and will struggle to set up in any tier where strong attacks are flying about. But it is a cool mon and Adaptability Aquajet is welcomed.

It's got that potential magic of having a powerful priority move + solid attack capacity otherwise, which makes it feel like it's another of the Speed Boost/Pass lovers in Gen VI. That's a winning formula for Talonflame, though unlike Talonflame it's unboosted speed doesn't let it's priority blaze past everyone else. It's still enough to put big ol' dents in most opponents, though, and gawd help people if it's passed a +2 speed (or worse, +2 ATK if the passer got to Dance first).

Crawdaunt has a thing over Gyarados, though -- it resists everything that Blaziken is weak to, and viceversa. Considering the issues with its speed, it sounds to me like he's a good BP teammate. He also provides decent coverage with Scolipede's weaknesses.

^ with only 63 HP and 85 Def, Blaziken's main enemy - earthquake - will still leave it pretty worse off. Gyarados on the other hand can safe switch in due to flying type, then mega evolve to be water/dark. In my mind this is just another point for Gyarados, especially when you consider that they're both solidly OU this gen.

I think Crawdaunt is a strictly UU pokemon. Too many water competition in OU and too many fighting type counters for it to succeed. Let it stay in a lower tier where its buffs might get the acknowledgement they deserve.

I don't foresee assault vest Crawdaunt being a thing. Its pitiful special bulk really can't be saved and it would much rather have extra offensive power.
noted, shall remove mentions of AV in the OP

^ with only 63 HP and 85 Def, Blaziken's main enemy - earthquake - will still leave it pretty worse off. Gyarados on the other hand can safe switch in due to flying type, then mega evolve to be water/dark. In my mind this is just another point for Gyarados, especially when you consider that they're both solidly OU this gen.

I think Crawdaunt is a strictly UU pokemon. Too many water competition in OU and too many fighting type counters for it to succeed. Let it stay in a lower tier where its buffs might get the acknowledgement they deserve.
I simply don't see how Crawdaunt faces competition from Mega Gyarados outside of a DD set, which is why I didn't mention it in the OP. Just because they are of the same typing, doesn't mean anything, it's like comparing Scizor with Durant/Escavalier/Forretress just because they have the same typing. Gyarados is meant to be a sweeper, Crawdaunt is played like Scizor, a powerful revenge killer, with a powerful utility move to give you an advantage on the predicted switch(U-turn compared to Knock Off), making use of a predicted switch to get a SD up.

Imo the greatest competition Crawdaunt face in OU is Azumarill instead of Gyarados, considering Azumarill has a similar playstyle, with a better defensive typing, but a worse offensive one. Crawdaunt's notable advantage over Azumarill is how it can get past stuff like Tetacruel, Ferrothorn, Venusaur(maybe not venusaur since its faster), Empoleon (Empoleon will be huge this gen, mark my words), without needing to resort to Superpower. Also Crawdaunt doesn't become set-up bait for stuff like Aegislash, because even a -2 Knock Off deals massive damage to it.

Depending on whether Blaziken is banished to Ubers again, the popularity of Slowbro will change as well (and also considering AV Slowbro is a beast). Crawdaunt is arguably the best counter to Slowbro, resisting everything it throws at it and OHKO-ing with Knock Off.

I could see Crawdaunt forming a decent core with Volcarona and Bronzong.

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
EVs: 164 HP / 248 Atk / 96 Def
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Crabhammer

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Roost

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake

Crawdaunt's weaknesses to Fighting, Grass, Fairy, and Bug are all resisted by Volcarona and Bronzong. While Electric-type moves still remain an issue, both Bronzong and Volcarona have the special bulk to stand up to most OU Pokemon's Thunderbolt without an issue. Crawdaunt likewise resists Water, Ice, Fire, Dark, and Ghost type moves that would give the other two trouble. Every other type unmentioned is either already resisted or an outright immunity for the core beyond the aforementioned Electric-type.

I simply don't see how Crawdaunt faces competition from Mega Gyarados outside of a DD set, which is why I didn't mention it in the OP. Just because they are of the same typing, doesn't mean anything, it's like comparing Scizor with Durant/Escavalier/Forretress just because they have the same typing. Gyarados is meant to be a sweeper, Crawdaunt is played like Scizor, a powerful revenge killer, with a powerful utility move to give you an advantage on the predicted switch(U-turn compared to Knock Off), making use of a predicted switch to get a SD up.

Imo the greatest competition Crawdaunt face in OU is Azumarill instead of Gyarados, considering Azumarill has a similar playstyle, with a better defensive typing, but a worse offensive one. Crawdaunt's notable advantage over Azumarill is how it can get past stuff like Tetacruel, Ferrothorn, Venusaur(maybe not venusaur since its faster), Empoleon (Empoleon will be huge this gen, mark my words), without needing to resort to Superpower. Also Crawdaunt doesn't become set-up bait for stuff like Aegislash, because even a -2 Knock Off deals massive damage to it.

Depending on whether Blaziken is banished to Ubers again, the popularity of Slowbro will change as well (and also considering AV Slowbro is a beast). Crawdaunt is arguably the best counter to Slowbro, resisting everything it throws at it and OHKO-ing with Knock Off.
Crawdaunt is too slow, too fragile, and too outclassed by other priority users to survive in OU. I'm not saying this crab's a bad pokemon, but he isn't suited for the OU metagame like the a fore mentioned Azumarill because of his inability to boost without risking huge damage (Admittedly, Azumarill's boosting IS taking huge damage, but his more useful immunity and resistances allow him a little wiggle room). All things considered, Crawdaunt is a great UU candidate where there aren't +2 bullet punches, shadow sneaks, and +6 aqua jets running amok. I think it'll end up filling a role similar to Feraligatr last gen (another underrated aqua jet user) where it was good in lower tiers and viable for a surprise factor in OU, but not as a core poke.

Knock Off has 97 base power if the opponent is holding an item.

2 Crunches = 80 + 80 = 160
2 Knock Offs = 97 + 65 = 162

2 Knock Offs outdamage Crunch, with the first Knock Off hitting considerably harder and nailing many OHKOs that Crunch can not, not to mention Knock Off's superior utility. Crunch only outdamages after 3 hits, and Crawdaunt is neither bulky nor fast enough to allow the enemy to survive that long.

Plus, with how many pokemon rely on their items, removing them is a great tool to have, especially if you can deal decent damage in the process

Considering Crawdaunt had a viable OU set last generation and pre-Pokebank it's actually much harder to switch into than Azumarill is since Azu can't run Ice Punch, letting Grass/Poison types wall it hard (None of whom appreciate Adaptability boosted Crunch/Knock Off), I think it's silly to suggest Crawdaunt doesn't have an OU niche at present. Whilst the addition of Fairies and to some extent the rain nerf haven't done Crawdaunt many favors, Aqua Jet is a massive boon for it, as is the fact Steel types can no longer freely switch into Crunch. Crawdaunt certainly doesn't have the ability to switch into things like Azumarill can, but if you find yourself up against one and the Pokemon you currently have out can't adequately deal with it, good luck finding safe switch-ins if you don't predict very carefully.

That being said, I'm really not sure about the Swords Dance set, Crawdaunt is too slow and frail to waste time trying to set-up in the higher tiers, I suppose if you could clear out any Aqua Jet-resists beforehand it might be able to sweep, but the same could be said of most if not all set-up sweepers. I dunno, I feel that if you're going to try and be a set-up sweeper, then BellyJet Azumarill is just flat out better due to its increased bulk, better defensive typing and significant difference in power post-drum, the niche Crawdaunt has is being a choice band user that hits like a freight train and is incredibly difficult to switch into, and at least pre-Pokebank that's the one role I see it performing better than aqua rabbit.

Post-Pokebank is potentially a very different story, but it's not really relevant until then.

Last gen's OU set was only viable on a rain team, which is going to be a lot harder to pull off with the rain nerf. Since just about every OU viable grass type (and a lot of bulky water types, and dragonite) can switch into an unboosted aqua jet, and out speed you if you then switched moves, his only viable set would be the choice band. But I still feel Crawdaunt would be better suited for UU where it'd revenge kill fire and ground (there's 17 pokemon weak to aqua jet, and 7 resistant to it in UU) types like no other. My only fear is that it'd be banned to BL where it'd never see usage.

Last gen's OU set was only viable on a rain team, which is going to be a lot harder to pull off with the rain nerf. Since just about every OU viable grass type (and a lot of bulky water types, and dragonite) can switch into an unboosted aqua jet, and out speed you if you then switched moves, his only viable set would be the choice band. But I still feel Crawdaunt would be better suited for UU where it'd revenge kill fire and ground types like no other. My only fear is that it'd be banned to BL where it'd never see usage.
KeyWord: Grass Type. with Talonflame running around they ain't exactly popular right now. the only one Crawdaunt has to worry about is (Mega) Venusaur the rest of the OU Viable grasses get hit SE by Crunch (Trevenant (Viale? idk i'm 50/50) Gourgeist, Celebi) and bulky waters ain't exactly going to appreciate a CB boosted Crunch with Adaptability either (Or Knock off if not Mega) so with prediction it will be deadly. i agree it won't make OU due to the hype surrounding Azumarill whos just better in alot of ways) but with right play he's more than viable. hell if i'm correct he's actually faster than Azu so speed isn't that big a deal (It isn't for CB Azu who is just better than Belly Jet right now with this priority running around killing him after a BD) it just requires a decent bit of prediction.

just as a power comparison
252+ Atk Choice Band Aqua Jet Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 48+ Def Ferrothorn: (11.93 - 13.92%)

252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 48+ Def Ferrothorn: (13.35 - 15.9%)

I just picked Ferro at random but you see my point. Its a better User of Band than Azu. its slightly faster. Its slightly more powerful. Crabhammer>Waterfall. it has just the right movepool and Knock Off>Play Rough against anything not mega. Azumarill has far better typing and more bulk. its coverage moves are better and more powerful. Both have uses and both are as Viable as each other.

i dunno what i'm trying to prove. Crawdaunt has alot going for it but its just going to fall a tier below Azu. thats about it.

Last edited:
Honestly, with the right team support the choice band set demolishes teams. I've been running it with a specially bulky Dragonite with thunder wave/dragon tail/sub/roost. Once you have your para spread Crawdaunt no longer cares about being slow and demolishes. Even resisted Knock off hits really hard. Most switch ins get 2hko'd.

I have used crawdaunt in 5th gen showdown for quite sometime just because I wanted to test out its potential in standard, which was very decent throughout its testing period.
Now that I know of its buffs in x and y, I feel that crawdaunt could be an excellent alternative to azumarill playstyles.
Here's why:

I- Power level.
- With its new powered up adaptability stabs, it hits a lot harder than azumarill and as it was said before, the most common switch ins to azumarill are often grass/poison types, in which crawdaunt is able to significantly damage them with its dark stab. As shown in the OP, its power is truely massive, making the number of switch-ins very small due to its damage capabilities. Resists are sometimes not enough,as the need for coverage moves is not a high priority. Choice band crabhammer (100 bp) does 52.63-62.17 percent to max special defense rotom-w for example.

- As said before, its aqua jet is more powerful than azumarill's, guaranteeing ohko's/2hkos that azumarill could not have gotten
example: choice band huge power azumarill 252+ attack (adamant nature) aqua jet does 44.37 to 52.11 percent to 4hp/0 def genesect.
- with the same set up, crawdaunt does 50- 59.15 percent, guaranteeing the 2hko. (no hazards were taken into account)

II- Boosting moves
- While others may think otherwise, I feel that crawdaunt's access to swords dance and dragon dance are much more reliable boosting moves compared to azumarill's belly drum. Belly drum is just way too dependent on where a pokemon's health is at in order to be set up successfully, hence why its often considered as a high risk boosting move. Cutting out 50% of a mon's hp is just not worth the risk imo, despite the payoff. I could decide to attack azumarill and render azumarill's setup in vain, cutting azumarill's usefulness down immensely. Then again I never used belly drum, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Swords dance is often just enough to get plenty of ohko's/revenge kills without any drastic side effect affecting the user.

Dragon dance should also get a mention because it lets crawdaunt outspeed some of its checks, such as a non-choice scarf rotom or a dragonite (multiscale broken), while still retaining the ability to take out some faster mons at the same time with aqua jet. Azumarill has no way of boosting its speed outside of a salac berry or a choice scarf, so it could be scared out much more easily. It may not be as fast like gyarados, but at least it will help outspeed more important mons. Sticky web may also help crawdaunt outspeed more mons.

I will admit though that the fact that crawdaunt is frail makes it a bit harder to use than azumarill, who does present more bulk and a better defensive typing.

I think potential partners for crawdaunt may include klefki, who could set up dual screens and provide prankster thunder wave in order to cripple fast mons that could check crawdaunt, which in turn would let crawdaunt outspeed them and possibly take them out when needed. Its also beneficial for the whole team in general. Dual screens would help crawdaunt take at least some neutral hits better, such as a dragon claw or something of the sort.

- In conclusion, I think crawdaunt has got what it takes to make it succeed in the OU metagame, at the very least OU viability. It may not be as popular or as easy to utilize as azumarill, but it has equal potential.

(I am a new user to this site, but I have been playing showdown competitively for quite some time)

Bulky water types, and the 5 OU pokemon (4 since you never see a water absorb politoed) immune to aqua jet alone imo make this guy not an OU candidate. His supremacy to Azumarill in choice band wielding is pretty irrelavent since Azumarill's most dangerous set is when it manages to get a safe belly drum off, which isn't that hard with its typing. Using anything but aqua jet makes it easy to out speed and revenge kill, and dragon dance is too risky as it won't get much opportunity to use it. I like the klefki idea, but I don't think this justifies his use as Mega gyarados (and even regular Gyarados) have similar damage outputs but don't need the support to work. I love his choice band/aqua jet revenge killer set, but everything else about this mon SCREAMS UU, and thats where I not only think, but hope he ends up so his new tools get the recognition they deserve.

Who cares about Gyarados being faster and easier to set up when Aqua Jet hits as hard as Gyarados's stronger attacks anyway?
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def (custom): 136-162 (39.88 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 248 Atk Gyarados Bounce vs. 0 HP / 0 Def (custom): 135-160 (39.58 - 46.92%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • +2 252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def (custom): 234-278 (68.62 - 81.52%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • +1 252+ Atk Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def (custom): 246-289 (72.14 - 84.75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I think Crawdaunt's damage output with Aqua Jet is seriously underrated. It is literally comparable to Gyarados's strongest attack in terms of damage so it doesn't really matter that it is slow. Gyarados certainly does not have similar damage output so it might be worth giving it the team support needed.

Who cares about Gyarados being faster and easier to set up when Aqua Jet hits as hard as Gyarados's stronger attacks anyway?
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def (custom): 136-162 (39.88 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 248 Atk Gyarados Bounce vs. 0 HP / 0 Def (custom): 135-160 (39.58 - 46.92%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • +2 252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def (custom): 234-278 (68.62 - 81.52%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • +1 252+ Atk Mega Gyarados Waterfall vs. 0 HP / 0 Def (custom): 246-289 (72.14 - 84.75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I think Crawdaunt's damage output with Aqua Jet is seriously underrated. It is literally comparable to Gyarados's strongest attack in terms of damage so it doesn't really matter that it is slow. Gyarados certainly does not have similar damage output so it might be worth giving it the team support needed.
1. I was specifically referring to the instance of when klefki puts up screens and Twave, which is one of the few instances where Crawdaunt could use its strongest attacks like Crabhammer.
2. 3HKO, or even 2HKO, usually means Crawdaunt's going to faint, or take serious damage
3. When will Crawdaunt get the chance to use Sword Dance? With how fast paced OU is, the answer is almost never.
4. I'm not underrating Crawdaunt's damage output. I just said his Choice Band set has some potential, but his other sets are completely outclassed by either Azumarill or Gyarados and should be sent to UU (WHICH IS NOT A BAD THING!)

The point that I'm trying so hard to state is that if it its Aqua Jet is as powerful as Gyarados’s Waterfall, then it does not HAVE to use anything than Aqua Jet to be useful. Crabhammer and Knock Off is there to break slower walls like Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, Skarmory and the likes. While Gyarados has to Taunt these walls and get to a higher boost, Crawdaunt can just KO it with a Crabhammer/Knock Off.

Crawdaunt's SD is not as hard to get up as you make it out to be. I like to equate SD Crawdaunt to Offensive SD Scizor with a different typing, almost similar bulk with the suggested HP investment. At the end of the day, how easy it gets up a SD is dependent on how well its CB set fits in the metagame. It's cause and effect; When you force something out with the threat of a SE Aqua Jet, you can make use of that switch to get up a SD. You don't have to use T-wave support because there are other support you can use Speed Boost passing, considering Scolipede actually has rather good type synergy with Crawdaunt, if you can get just a +3 or even +2 speed (not even atk) to Crawdaunt, you pretty much got a win condition if the opponent doesn't invest heavily in Def. Just a simple Scolipede - Crawdaunt core was already enough for me to defeat half a team frequently on its own in the ~1900 ladder range.

And consider this:
+6 252+ Atk Splash Plate Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 48+ Def Ferrothorn: 263-310 (74.71 - 88.06%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 48+ Def Ferrothorn: 395-465 (112.21 - 132.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Even after a Belly Drum, Azumarill still struggles to get past dedicated walls due to its sub-par coverage. SD Crawdaunt is essentially a less risky version of Belly Azu with only marginally less damage on Aqua Jet, with better coverage.

And no, the worrying thing about Crawdaunt is not that it will get sent to UU, but BL where it will rarely see competitive use. It seems too absurd in UU when only 6 Pokemon in the current UU (Cobalion, Scrafty, Suicune, Milotic, Virizion and Shaymin), are faster and can take a +2 Aqua Jet after SR (and it is way easier to get up a SD in UU).

Last edited:
knock off when it can remove a item it only gets that boosted damage once so please make sure to keep that in mind when doing calcs.

because asides from certain items and mons knock off will only be able to get boosted damage once on any one mon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)