Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
These are but a few of the many calcs that relate to Quagsire. As you can see, Quagsire takes these Pokemon's hits like nothing and can just Recover + Curse stall them. In the end, Quagsire can very well end up doing a lot for your team. A CC from Terrakion only 2HKOs. During which, Quagsire can Recover stall and proceed to Waterfall after Terrakion's defence has been reduced greatly. Waterfall and Earthquake are the standard coverage options for Quagsire. Recover gives Quagsire stalling capabilities while Curse allows Quagsire to set up on Pokemon that can't hurt him.
Unaware ignores Terrakion's defense drops, so attacking him when he hasn't used CC is the same as attacking him after the first CC which is also the same as attacking him after the fifth CC.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
@

Trait: Justified
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
- Surf
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Icy Wind
- Secret Sword

Whether your buffing specs or scarf, this thing is absolutely incredible. This is the set that sort of exists but no one has really tried to use yet. This set (I bet my right arm) will probably get popular when Tornadus-T is removed from OU. Basically, early-noTorn-T stage is gonna be where its gonna be most effective. It bluffs both its most common sets and easily reverts to its decent coverage.

Support:

Sand teams never needed rain support for their Keldeo and I don't see why rain support is absolutely necessary. In fact, I'd advise Deo-D support over anything else, where you have SashGengar (Destiny Bond / Thunder / Shadow Ball / Focus Blast) eliminating Tenta / Starmie / Celebi / Latias and Deo-D for optimal hazard support.

Ditto

The Best Set Ever

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 2 Spd
- Transform

What the hell is Ditto doing here? The thing is, Ditto works pretty well in Stall teams and sometimes in normal offensive/balanced teams too.

Many people's first impression when they see a Tentacruel or something stalling their pokemon out is, "Oh! This is a great opportunity to set up with my pokemon!" They don't even realise what a big threat Ditto is if it manages to copy their boosts when they aren't behind a sub. Once the opponent decides that he has gotten enough boosts, he will attack and you will have to fodder off a pokemon. When Ditto is brought in, it copies all the boosts the opposing pokemon has and can proceed to revenge kill the opposing pokemon as it has a Choice Scarf. Sometimes, a late-game sweep can be performed. Of course, this method usually works only when the opposing pokemon doesn't have a sub.

On normal/offensive teams, Ditto is a semi-viable revenge killer. Adding onto the points stated above, Ditto can come in on almost any pokemon and revenge kill it. However, Ditto is frail as hell and can only come in after a teammate is killed. Imposter might also be kind of an unreliable ability as sometimes, moves that are copied can't reliably OHKO the opposing pokemon from whatever HP they are at.

Edited Ditto set: 2 Speed IVs give Ditto HP Ice as a better HP coverage than the rest while giving it the lowest speed possible so that Ditto can win in a PP war against other Ditto.

Ditto

The Best Set Ever

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Shiny: Yes
Sassy Nature
- Transform

What the hell is Ditto doing here? The thing is, Ditto works pretty well in Stall teams and sometimes in normal offensive/balanced teams too.

Many people's first impression when they see a Tentacruel or something stalling their pokemon out is, "Oh! This is a great opportunity to set up with my pokemon!" They don't even realise what a big threat Ditto is if it manages to copy their boosts when they aren't behind a sub. Once the opponent decides that he has gotten enough boosts, he will attack and you will have to fodder off a pokemon. When Ditto is brought in, it copies all the boosts the opposing pokemon has and can proceed to revenge kill the opposing pokemon as it has a Choice Scarf. Sometimes, a late-game sweep can be performed. Of course, this method usually works only when the opposing pokemon doesn't have a sub.

On normal/offensive teams, Ditto is a semi-viable revenge killer. Adding onto the points stated above, Ditto can come in on almost any pokemon and revenge kill it. However, Ditto is frail as hell and can only come in after a teammate is killed. Imposter might also be kind of an unreliable ability as sometimes, moves that are copied can't reliably OHKO the opposing pokemon from whatever HP they are at.
You want as much speed as possible, that will increase the chances of winning against an opposing Ditto. The defensive stats doesn't matter.

You want lower speed so the opposing Ditto uses struggles faster than you, thus killing itself faster.
The fastest Ditto transforms into the opposing Ditto and gets to keep using transform successfully and keep 5 pp. The slower Ditto won't get to transform at all since you can't transform into a transformation and have to use up its pp.

Totes a gimmick, but one that I found to be much better than expected, and I peaked at ~1850 glicko2 with a team based around it.

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar

The general idea is to stack lots of hazards (alongside a sturdy spinblocker of course!), rest and procede to sleep talk to outspeed most of the meta and phase.

It's like prankster riolu... but far less situational.

Works best on stall oriented teams, especially with the speedy phase that it offers.

Garchomp @ Leftovers
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar
I would be more inclined to try Kyurem-B in this position than Garchomp. While it does lack that large speed, what it does offer is an incredible amount of bulk over Garchomp as well as power. Kyurem-B's uninvested Dragon Tail is more powerful than a fully invested neutral Garchmop's!

Anyway here is my contribution: Agility Zoroark

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Trait: Illusion
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse / Night Daze
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Agility

Zoroark has some nice utility vs deoxys-d offensive teams in that you can disguise yourself to lure your opponent's deoxys-d to waste its first move (i.e. taunt you when it really doesn't matter). You have two options if you can do so: a. Use Agility to attempt to sweep the opponents team while Deo-D gets SR down or b. Go for the 2HKO to prevent hazards.

As for things to disguise as, generally I aim for it to be the Scarfer on my offensive team. This way the opponent feels safe that I am locked into one weak move or that I am going to revenge kill a certain boosted threat. Zoroark can buy many opportunities to set up if you hide him as a specfic scarfer/revenge killer on your team.

Zoroark is not without its disappointments. Expect to take heavy damage from even the weakest attacks, just about any attack will go through it like a hot knife through butter. In addition, as a dark-type it does not receive a high-base power STAB move. Therefore it needs all the power it can get, hence the Life Orb, Modest Nature, and Night Daze slash. Lastly, you can try out a Focus Sash+Nasty Plot set to get your opponent opened up earlier in the game.

a match quickly after i made a team for agilizark:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent7534970

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I would be more inclined to try Kyurem-B in this position than Garchomp. While it does lack that large speed, what it does offer is an incredible amount of bulk over Garchomp as well as power. Kyurem-B's uninvested Dragon Tail is more powerful than a fully invested neutral Garchmop's!

Kyurem-B does have better bulk and offense than Garchomp but it also has its disadvantages. Kyurem-B is weak to Stealth Rock while Garchomp resists them so the latter will have more opportunities to freely switch in and out. Kyurem-B is also weak to common priority moves such as Bullet Punch and Mach Punch which bypasses speed and works around the speed shuffling strategy. Kyurem-B is also slower than Garchomp which is crucial as Garchomp can outspeed numerous Pokemon that Kyurem-B cannot including Hydreigon, Haxorus, and Salamence. Lastly, Kyurem-B can not learn Roar so he only has one phazing move as opposed to Garchomp's two, decreasing the odds of Sleep Talk selecting a phazing move and shuffling the opponent out.

Ditto

The Best Set Ever

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Shiny: Yes
Sassy Nature
- Transform

You should at least mention that Ditto keeps it's own Hidden Power after transforming, so if you must tinker with something in the build, it can be that.

How much could CB Tornadus-T be effective? People usually send against it any non-blob special sponge/flying resist when they see it, and I seriously think it could work like other u-turners. A moveset consisting of U-Turn, Superpower, Foul Play/Crunch and Hurricane (because it lacks good physical STAB) could work, I suppose.

Just theorymoning, though.

How much could CB Tornadus-T be effective? People usually send against it any non-blob special sponge/flying resist when they see it, and I seriously think it could work like other u-turners. A moveset consisting of U-Turn, Superpower, Foul Play/Crunch and Hurricane (because it lacks good physical STAB) could work, I suppose.

Just theorymoning, though.
That reminds me: physical Tornadus is the bomb, yo.

Tornadus-I @ Flight Gem
252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spe
Jolly, Prankster

Acrobatics
Superpower
Taunt
Bulk Up

This is my favourite set for original recipe Tornadus - I find it works better on this forme than the bird due to its substantially higher Attack.

Acrobling is the key: it's fierce. It usually OHKOs Ninetales without a Bulk Up, Abomasnow too, while Superpower takes out TTar. It still performs incredibly well on rain teams, but it doesn't actually use the rain - it just wins you the weather war. Superpower makes an excellent coverage move, hitting TTar/Magnezone/Terrakion. It cancels out Bulk Up, but there you go.

Prankster Taunt means it functions well as a lead by shutting down support pokes, then Bulking Up on the switch and tearing shit up.

Taunt, combined with its own setup, means it basically beats Baton Pass teams singlehanded. It stops the buffs and passes, sets up on the switches and goes to town. If Espeon comes in to bounce the taunt, Acrobling OHKOs it - and even if it doesn't, Tornadus outspeeds by one point, so it gets another go. Once Espeon is gone, the whole team is Taunt bait and it's gg. Nothing better than making BP teams ragequit.

The fastest Ditto transforms into the opposing Ditto and gets to keep using transform successfully and keep 5 pp. The slower Ditto won't get to transform at all since you can't transform into a transformation and have to use up its pp.
... I thought Ditto couldn't transform into another Ditto?

EDIT: In a Ditto VS Ditto situation, both Ditto will proc Imposter when being sent out. The faster ditto will transform into the other ditto by virtue of its ability. Since Transform cannot copy other transformations, you want to be slower, like I said, so the opponent burns his 5 PPs faster and thus your Ditto struggles after his.

... I thought Ditto couldn't transform into another Ditto?

EDIT: In a Ditto VS Ditto situation, both Ditto will proc Imposter when being sent out. The faster ditto will transform into the other ditto by virtue of its ability. Since Transform cannot copy other transformations, you want to be slower, like I said, so the opponent burns his 5 PPs faster and thus your Ditto struggles after his.
The faster ditto will not burn its pp, it will get new pp after each successful transformation.

The move "transform" doesn't work in Ditto x Ditto scenario, but Imposter does. That means both players will be burning PP

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Trait: Illusion
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Night Daze
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Agility

Ive tried this quite a bit recently, and it works like it should. Zoroark has great potential, I think, for mid-game opening rather than beginning or end. At the beginning, its almost the opponent will try to uturn on your pokemon until Zoroark gets hit. At the end, it will be easier to predict which pokemon isnt Zoroark due to hp numbers.

Good partners for this set are Conkeldurr and Rotom-W. Conk has incredible Attacking stats to take out special walls, while Rotom is usually choiced.

I didnt really add much to this, lol. Maybe sub over flamethrower, which I tried a bit, and it worked occasionally. But, it really doesnt do much overall because with Sub Life Orb damage racks up, and it is really hard to forego life orb for say, leftovers, because Zoroark isnt bulky anyway and does disappointing damage without Life Orb.

Grass Knot 2hkos Keldeo, which would be the only reliable way Zoroark has to hit it. Otherwise you would have to rely on Focus Blast hitting twice (Provided you dont just die after hitting Keldeo once).

2nd gen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1i6_m55Bw4
4th gen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km4SUJ5C2m4

I'm unfortunately not able to find footage for 5th gen.
Neither 2nd nor 4th Gen examples can take Imposter into account, which makes all the difference. According to Transform's Bulbapedia page, Imposter only fails against Illusion users and Pokemon behind Substitutes, while Transform fails against Transformed Pokemon (whether through Transform or Imposter). What should happen is that both Ditto switch in and transform into each other with Imposter, and then they start burning Transform PP since they can't Transform into a Transformed Pokemon. In such a case, it is more beneficial to have a lower speed stat so that the opponet kills themselves with recoil first.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
this isn't a shitty gimmick I swear

[pimg]251[/pimg]
Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 112 Spd / 60 Atk / 252 HP / 84 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Heal Bell
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Recover

I tried this on a whim and it's doing surprisingly well, actually. It hits Politoed's weaker side and is a nice surprise against things like Latios and Gengar. Heal Bell might be worth replacing with Zen Headbutt for Breloom and putting a few more EVs into Attack, but I haven't tried that yet. The EVs give it enough Attack to OHKO Alakazam with Sucker Punch and enough Speed to outrun Timid Politoed, with the rest dumped into bulk.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
You should change these EVs. This is a no brainer, but since the difference Base Stat - Stat you're trying to hit is higher in Atk, you should get an +Atk nature.

You try to hit :
- 276 Atk
- 264 Speed

Atk is higher and they have the same base stat. So since you have to do a stronger effort in Atk, you have to use a +Nature here.
(you probably know that, and you may think that I'm considering you as some fool, but I'm acting in order to make this post useful for new players too).

So, these are the "correct" EVs :
- 60 Atk => 236 + 15 = 251 | Then 251 * 1.1 = 276, the stat you try to hit
- 112 Spe => 236 + 28 = 264, the stat you try to hit

With this optimisation, you won 4 Evs that you can put anywhere you want ! xD
This is better than nothing, in our case it is not far from nothing, but this process can be useful to anybody trying to build EVs.

You could definitely put SD in your set by the way, Celebi has many physical options. SD/BatonPassing is a really nice niche for Celebi for instance.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It's a set open to change, honestly - Heal Bell and Recover are better on my bulky offense team while SD+BP might be better on a hyper offense team.

You're right about the EVs though; changed. For the record, Jolly 16 had a jump point between 262 (Toed's max Speed) and 264, so the Speed EVs could even be lowered to 108 instead of 112.

Claydol @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EV's: 252HP/252Def/4SpDef
Nature: Impish/Bold
-Stealth Rock
-Rapid Spin
-Earthquake/Ice Beam
-Toxic

Claydol, despite not being nearly as good as it used to be, is still a wonderful supporter in OU, despite his its UU status and no OU article. Although he may seem extremely overshadowed by Forretress for his better defense and more than one hazard to lay, Claydol has a few very nice things going for him: physical resits. Claydol resists not only laughs in the face of the EdgeQuake combo, but also takes pitiful damage from Fighting-types and none at all from Electric-types. Sure, he's held down a little for being weak to common Water and Ice attacks, but if you're team needs to patch up a weakness to say, Terrakion, Clayol makes a good defensive behomoth.

//Also I apologize for not having any replays of this, but honestly, all it's gonna be is me switching Claydol into common sweepers and setting up rocks or spinning them away.

Well, little bump.

Several months ago, I created a Dragonite AgilyRainSet for, uh, my rain team. (I guess.)

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 26 HP / 252 SAtk / 220 Spd / 10 Def
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Hurricane
- Thunder
- Surf

First, you might wonder "why dragonite ? tornadus, volarona or even moltres are far better users of hurricane", the answer is simple : Thunder, and pseudo-stabbed Surf under the rain (Even though you can replace it by Ice Beam, but that would be such a waste, imo.), Flying/Elec/Water coverage hits everything in the OU Metagame, once your opponent's Ferrothorn is at ~50%, or that the Latias/Blissey your enemy is playing is down, you can set up, and enjoy watching Dragonite ripping of pretty much everything below 70% (Unless it is called Blissey, Chansey or Latias.) with a high powered Hurricane. Surf is mostly here for the fire, rock and ground type, and is pseudo-stabbed by Rain, and Thunder is there for all these fools who are weak to Electric type and/or resists the Flying/Water combo. Also, nobody really expects that kind of set.

The spread is simple : Maximizing the average SpA of Dragonite, with full EVs, Life Orb, and Modest Nature, the speed EVs are here in order to outspeed Scarfchomp at +2, 26 EVs in HP in order to have less recoil for life orb, and 10 in Def in order to take a little less from fighting attacks.

Some good partners for this set includes Azumarill Bander, who can easily bring pretty much everything below 70% with its high powered Rain Boosted Aqua-jet, Jolteon and Starmie, who can easily kill/weaken dragons who aren't OHKOed by nite, like chomp, ti@s or salamence, note that both benefit from rain, the former having a STABed Thunder to use, the latter a boosted Hydropump AND a 100% accurate Thunder. Dugtrio and Magnezone can trap steel types, like SDefensive Jirachi and kill em, or at least weaken them. Stealth Rock works really well with that Dragonite, enabling him to OHKO some threats without any help, like Mence, Scizor (50% chance to ohko, but with a layer of spikes added, he will be OHKOed too.), Standard Ferrothorn (Be careful about Thunder Wave.), SDefensive Jellicent is 2HKOed by Thunder, too, SDefensive Celebi has 81.25% to be OHKOed with Stealth Rock.

The only real counters are annihilated by the Pokemons I talked about earlier : SDefensive Jirachi ? NOPE, Azumarill/Dugtrio/Magnzone, Jolteon can take a boosted Surf at full Health and OHKO Nite with HP Ice, but Azumarill OHKOes it with Aqua Jet, and Sash/Scarf Dugtrio can trap it and kill it with his stab, Blissey and Chansey are both koed by Azumarill (In fact, any Fighting type (SO HARD TO FIND.) can take care of them.), Gastrodon takes 44.83 - 53.05%, but can be softened by Politoed's Toxik, which cripples it.

Replays :
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent8036470 (A little haxey with the confused tias, and a ragequit, but I would've killed his Ttar with Azumarill, so meh.)

(I'll upload some more tomorrow, g2g.)

(Also sorry for my bad English.)

sorry, but i fail to see how that dragonite set is better than tornadus-i who ohkoes the same mons as you do but doesn't need to set up. flying+fighting is essentially equal to flying / electric / water.

Ditto

The Best Set Ever

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Sassy Nature
IVs: 2 Spd
- Transform

Edited Ditto set: 2 Speed IVs give Ditto HP Ice as a better HP coverage than the rest while giving it the lowest speed possible so that Ditto can win in a PP war against other Ditto.
I don't get how this is different from regular ditto

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)