Other Creative / Underrated Sets Thread (Read the thread, NO SHITTY GIMMICKS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no good reason to run Donphan over Excadrill right now anyway, the only things Donphan takes on better are Fighting-types (most of which can 2HKO with CB or with a boost anyway).
i assume you mean as a rapid spinner? because with Knock off buff and Play rough he can actually be a very good rock polish lead

Ninetales @ Heat Rock
[Drought] - Modest
252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 Hp
-----------------
•Overheat
•Hex
•Hypnosis/ Will-O-Wisp
•Power Swap

While not the most common and maybe not most competitive I tried to breed a different Ninetales. Overheat for raw power after the Fire Blast nerf in power and it is a little more accurate. Hypnosis to either force a switch or allow to switch to a teammate who can set up. Hex for coverage against psychics and common ghosts (130 Atk when asleep). And Power Swap for a nifty way to debuff any special attacker that may hinder your team. I use this Ninetales on a sun team and is mostly for utility but can throw some people for a loop in wifi.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Salamence @ Scope Lens
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Energy
- Fire Blast
- Roost

If Hydreigon and Kingdra can use this, then why not Salamence? It has superior speed and Intimidate after all. There's a case for Hydro Pump and Earthquake somewhere.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Salamence @ Scope Lens
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Energy
- Fire Blast
- Roost

If Hydreigon and Kingdra can use this, then why not Salamence? It has superior speed and Intimidate after all. There's a case for Hydro Pump and Earthquake somewhere.
Kingra uses Focus Energy because it has Sniper, meaning that Focus Energy equals to a Nasty Plot boost and a bit more, and Hydreigon doesn't use Focus Energy or at least it shouldn't and the same goes for Salamence. Life Orb +3 attacks gets better coverage and offers more initial power or in 2 turns than Focus Energy +2 attacks, and Focus Energy doesn't help Salamence at all against its common checks and counters, such as Fairy-types and Hippowdon.

Kingra uses Focus Energy because it has Sniper, meaning that Focus Energy equals to a Nasty Plot boost and a bit more, and Hydreigon doesn't use Focus Energy or at least it shouldn't and the same goes for Salamence. Life Orb +3 attacks gets better coverage and offers more initial power or in 2 turns than Focus Energy +2 attacks, and Focus Energy doesn't help Salamence at all against its common checks and counters, such as Fairy-types and Hippowdon.
Focus Energy allows Salamence to spam Draco Meteor. It's the same thing with Hydreigon using it. Also a critical Fire Blast hurts stuff like Hippowdon a lot. It still doesn't help against Fairies though.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

This was the set I ran last generation. It worked great, being a fantastic tank after a Bulk Up, essentially giving it 89/100~/80 Defenses, which aren't too shabby. The exact stats are 382/324/284. Here is a calculation with a Greninja:
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Landorus-T: 330-393 (86.3 - 102.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
Ice Beam is a OHKO, but then again, almost every Ice-Type move is on Lando-T. Then we have Earthquake:
4 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 207-244 (72.6 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 4 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 310-366 (108.7 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

People consider Calm Mind not gimmicky, but Bulk Up gimmicky. This is completely incorrect imo.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Focus Energy allows Salamence to spam Draco Meteor. It's the same thing with Hydreigon using it. Also a critical Fire Blast hurts stuff like Hippowdon a lot. It still doesn't help against Fairies though.
Don't forget, there's no reason to use Fire Blast on Hippo. The whole draw of using Focus Energy is a crit every time; your Draco Meteor won't have any negative side effect.

252 SpA Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hippowdon on a critical hit: 372-438 (88.5 - 104.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Yeah, that'll leave a mark. Specially defensive Hippos are soundly 2HKO'd even without hazards. Does Focus Energy help against Fairies? Only against Klefki, but what else do you need to watch for? Azumarill, Togekiss, and the occasional Clefable/Florges/Sylveon - there aren't too many of them, so that's what teammates are for!

That build is certainly interesting, but like all Focus Energy sets, finding the turn to set up is difficult. Salamence is actually the best in that regard thanks to Intimidate and higher Speed.

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

This was the set I ran last generation. It worked great, being a fantastic tank after a Bulk Up, essentially giving it 89/100~/80 Defenses, which aren't too shabby. The exact stats are 382/324/284. Here is a calculation with a Greninja:
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Landorus-T: 330-393 (86.3 - 102.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
Ice Beam is a OHKO, but then again, almost every Ice-Type move is on Lando-T. Then we have Earthquake:
4 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 207-244 (72.6 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 4 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 310-366 (108.7 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

People consider Calm Mind not gimmicky, but Bulk Up gimmicky. This is completely incorrect imo.
Well tbh about the Greninja thing, there really isn't any reason to not use Ice Beam (better accuracy, OHKOes any kind of L-T, the opponent sees lefties recovery so you're not holding a Yache, if for some reason you switch into a Grass it'll be hit hard).

But all in all seems like a pretty dope set :] (and if it's at full health it's not revenged by Azu, which is pretty cool).

Here's my contribution then:

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 224 HP / 56 Spd / 228 Def
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Defog
- Roost
- Taunt / Toxic

Eh, I quick searched the thread and found no Mandibuzz, but sorry if someone's posted this already. Overcoat, as mentioned before in the thread, now blocks Spore and Powder moves, making Mandibuzz a great answer to stuff like Smeargle. As an added bonus, it can be run in pretty much any weather. It's also a great check to the Grass/Ghosts, and mixed/SD Aeg (for example, +2 Sacred Sword doesn't 2HKO, while Foul Play OHKOes in attack form, the nature of the move also means Mandibuzz doesn't care about the attack drops from King's Shield).

The EVs give it a nice Lefties number while being able to outspeed max base 50s and normal-size Gourgeist (not sure what size people run, but whatevs .-.). The main thing here though is it beats defensive Washtom (pretty popular nowadays) with a little creep, so you can Roost before Volt Switch and stuff. You also beat 0 speed base 85s, so I guess you can shut down Resttalk Suicune? .-.

One more thing you can do is put 31 IVs back into attack, use an Impish nature, and run Knock Off over Foul Play for a bit more utility. However, you'll struggle a bit more on SD Aeg.

Another thing you can do is use 0 Speed IVs and a Relaxed Nature to make sure you get outsped by Aeg, so your Roost is slower than his Sacred Sword. You'll still be able to outspeed Azumarill and base 55's this way.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I know about the Draco Meteor spamming, but that's a poor excuse for losing Life Orb, coverage, and needing one turn to set up, especially when it's only to get a 1.5x power boost.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
1. I fully understand that Kingdra and Hydreigon outpower Salamence. This is why I emphasised its advantages, namely base 100 speed and Intimidate.
2. "Doesn't and shouldn't" is an invalid argument. Have you used FE Hydreigon? Have you faced FE Hydreigon? Understand that something which does not need to switch after a Draco Meteor is definitely threatening.
3. When does anything use FE with the intention of switching after turn two? The two turn damage output is irrelevant, because once we FE, Salamence is there to SPAM CH Draco Meteors. Otherwise, we attack straight away. I also mentioned that Hydro Pump and Earthquake could be inserted "somewhere" for coverage. Life Orb recoil is avoided too.
4. 252 SpA Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon on a critical hit: 370-436 (88 - 103.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
5. This is not supposed to be a world beating moveset. Everything has its checks.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
1. I fully understand that Kingdra and Hydreigon outpower Salamence. This is why I emphasised its advantages, namely base 100 speed and Intimidate.
2. "Doesn't and shouldn't" is an invalid argument. Have you used FE Hydreigon? Have you faced FE Hydreigon? Understand that something which does not need to switch after a Draco Meteor is definitely threatening.
3. When does anything use FE with the intention of switching after turn two? The two turn damage output is irrelevant, because once we FE, Salamence is there to SPAM CH Draco Meteors. Otherwise, we attack straight away. I also mentioned that Hydro Pump and Earthquake could be inserted "somewhere" for coverage. Life Orb recoil is avoided too.
4. 252 SpA Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon on a critical hit: 370-436 (88 - 103.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
5. This is not supposed to be a world beating moveset. Everything has its checks.
1. Ok
2. You don't need practice to identify bad gimmicks. Having a useless item and needing a turn to set up only to get spammable 1.5x stronger Draco Meteors is not worth it. It's simple risk / benefit concept.
3. The opponent won't let Salamence stay in and spam Draco Meteors. At best, you are getting one kill and getting forced out by a revenge killer. At worst, a revenge killer comes in before you even manage to KO something.
4. I was talking about SpD Hippowdon. Also check this: 252 SpA Life Orb Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 320-378 (76.1 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. Which is an easy 2HKO, while with Focus Energy + Draco Meteor you never KO Hippowdon in the course of two turns and he gets to answer back with Ice Fang
5. Having checks is fine, being outclassed by another set is not. Wallbreakers prefer immediate power and Salamence can't sweep with its less than ideal Speed, vulnerability to priority, and inability to get past a lot of Pokemon even after a Focus Energy.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
1. Ok
2. You don't need practice to identify bad gimmicks. Having a useless item and needing a turn to set up only to get spammable 1.5x stronger Draco Meteors is not worth it. It's simple risk / benefit concept.
3. The opponent won't let Salamence stay in and spam Draco Meteors. At best, you are getting one kill and getting forced out by a revenge killer. At worst, a revenge killer comes in before you even manage to KO something.
4. I was talking about SpD Hippowdon. Also check this: 252 SpA Life Orb Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 320-378 (76.1 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. Which is an easy 2HKO, while with Focus Energy + Draco Meteor you never KO Hippowdon in the course of two turns and he gets to answer back with Ice Fang
5. Having checks is fine, being outclassed by another set is not. Wallbreakers prefer immediate power and Salamence can't sweep with its less than ideal Speed, vulnerability to priority, and inability to get past a lot of Pokemon even after a Focus Energy.
If you haven't used or faced FE Hydreigon, you're really not qualified to dismiss it as a bad gimmick. I've faced three and it took accurate play to beat them (if my opponent had played optimally, I would have lost twice). I'd respect your understanding of risk/benefit if you wouldn't frequently demonstrate an amateurish level of thinking.

[13:25] <%McGrinch> !usage hippowdon spreads
[13:25] <%TIBot> Impish:252/4/252/0/0/0 46.393% | Impish:252/0/252/0/4/0 10.463% | Bold:252/0/252/0/4/0 3.310% | Careful:252/0/4/0/252/0 3.289% | Impish:252/0/252/0/0/4 3.039% | Adamant:252/252/0/0/4/0 3.016% | Other 30.490%

How is it outclassed? It has very specific and quantifiable advantages:

1. No Life Orb recoil.
2. Spammable Draco Meteor.

Understand that my point was never "THIS IS AMAZING AND WORLD CRUSHING", yet your point seems to be "THIS IS TERRIBLE AND NEVER USEFUL". The reality is somewhere in between, and my argument is that it's on the correct side of viable.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Actually, I'm not seeing that much problems with 'CritMence'. The main appeal of this set is that it can still setup Focus Energy and launch boosted attacks even after it has used Draco Meteor. Granted, not having Life Orb to boost its power sucks, and if you're going to setup with Mence then Dragon Dance + Moxie grants greater staying and 'snowball sweeping' power, while classic MixMence needs no setup and can wield Life Orb to still be a menace to slower Pokemon. As of now, I don't see CritMence as a totally unviable strategy it can use, but it can underperform compared to the other more "immediate" Salamence sets.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Actually, I'm not seeing that much problems with 'CritMence'. The main appeal of this set is that it can still setup Focus Energy and launch boosted attacks even after it has used Draco Meteor. Granted, not having Life Orb to boost its power sucks, and if you're going to setup with Mence then Dragon Dance + Moxie grants greater staying and 'snowball sweeping' power, while classic MixMence needs no setup and can wield Life Orb to still be a menace to slower Pokemon. As of now, I don't see CritMence as a totally unviable strategy it can use, but it can underperform compared to the other more "immediate" Salamence sets.
I actually consider Focus Energy to be the "worst setup in the game" akin to Jumpman16's definition for Stone Edge being the "worst attack in the game" (in battle tower). That is, it is not optimal, but it is viable. Therefore, I would hate to use it myself, but I would also hate to face it.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
If you haven't used or faced FE Hydreigon, you're really not qualified to dismiss it as a bad gimmick. I've faced three and it took accurate play to beat them (if my opponent had played optimally, I would have lost twice). I'd respect your understanding of risk/benefit if you wouldn't frequently demonstrate an amateurish level of thinking.

[13:25] <%McGrinch> !usage hippowdon spreads
[13:25] <%TIBot> Impish:252/4/252/0/0/0 46.393% | Impish:252/0/252/0/4/0 10.463% | Bold:252/0/252/0/4/0 3.310% | Careful:252/0/4/0/252/0 3.289% | Impish:252/0/252/0/0/4 3.039% | Adamant:252/252/0/0/4/0 3.016% | Other 30.490%

How is it outclassed? It has very specific and quantifiable advantages:

1. No Life Orb recoil.
2. Spammable Draco Meteor.

Understand that my point was never "THIS IS AMAZING AND WORLD CRUSHING", yet your point seems to be "THIS IS TERRIBLE AND NEVER USEFUL". The reality is somewhere in between, and my argument is that it's on the correct side of viable.
I never said it's terrible and never useful, i clearly stated it is outclassed. That said, it is viable if you want to use it, but the turn spent setting up with Focus Energy would have better been spent setting up Dragon Dance, crushing stuff immediately, or setting up with another Pokemon alltogether. Once again, if after setting up Salamence was hard to stop it would have some merit over classic wallbreaking sets, but there are many Pokemon that can take a DM or Fire Blast even after Focus Energy (SpD Hippo, Togekiss, Azumarill, Aegislash, Assault Vest Excadrill, Tyranitar). So you have a set that needs a turn to have any wallbreaking power and can't even wallbreak properly after setting up. Say it viable i don't really care, point remains that it's an inferior set on a Pokemon that already struggles to stay relevant in OU.

I know that Tentacruel has a lot of issues with recovery even with Leftovers and needs a wish passer anyways to stay alive, but I typically find that I use Tentacruel to pivot special attacks more often than physical attacks especially Fire, Ice, Water, and Fairy Moves. Most physical pokemon that Tentacruel resists hits it quite hard to 3HKO Tentacruel with Resisted moves even without using any set up moves and Tentacruel can't do much in return. But Tentacruel absolutely needs defense investment to avoid 2HKOs from resisted moves. So I'm curious how this will work:

Tentacruel @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body/Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Knock Off

Including Rapid Spin, all of the moves have utility. 30% Burn, 30% Poison or guaranteed item loss from Knock off. Knock off might be weak, but it allows it to hit Spin-blockers and the utility of loosing an item is an extremely beneficial effect. Tentacruel should be used as a pivot, but I find that all of the investment required in defenses undermines it's great Special Defenses, so Assault Vest patches that up beautifully. And it would require at least 3~4 turns of Leftovers recovery to compensate for the reduced damage from Assault Vest and I'm doubtful that Tentacruel can survive that long if the opponent keeps pecking away at the leftovers set because of Tentacruel's lack of recovery moves. Here are some relevant calcs:

+2 252+ SpA Togekiss Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tentacruel: 76-91 (40.6 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252+ SpA Togekiss Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 115-136 (61.4 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tentacruel: 66-80 (35.2 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 98-116 (52.4 - 62%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tentacruel: 43-52 (22.9 - 27.8%) -- 72.5% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 66-78 (35.2 - 41.7%) -- 75% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tentacruel: 64-75 (34.2 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 94-110 (50.2 - 58.8%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack

Tentacruel @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body/Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Knock Off
I just thought I'd mention Giga Drain over Sludge Bomb for Post Bank seems worth considering.

Now, I'm not sure if this would be considered a "shitty gimmick", but I've been having surprising success with this Jumpluff set.

Jumpluff Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252HP/4Sp.Def/252Spd
Timid Nature
Infestation
Sleep Powder
Substitute
Leech Seed

It plays off of the typical Sub-Seed strategy, but takes it up a notch by trapping them in and making them unable to do anything to Jumpluff as it watches the opponent die slowly. With the buff to the in-between turn effects of Trapping moves, without Leftovers, a Pokemon will be losing 24% of its Health each turn (16% if Leftovers/Black Sludge is held). Sleep Clause doesn't come into affect since the Pokemon asleep is still in the battle. And, the nice thing about Infestation is that it won't be blocked since it has perfect accuracy and no Pokemon is immune to Bug.

Jumpluff also happens to be surprisingly bulky on the Special side, so its Sub can take a resisted hit or two before breaking. It also makes a good anti-Smeargle lead since its faster and immune to Spore.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-67968457

Just an example of it in action and taking down a Mega Lucario.

Granted, this is shut down hard by other Grass-types, and it doesn't exactly appreciate Ghost-types (as they can't be trapped) or those with Overcoat either, but it can be a pretty effective Wall breaker since it simply out-stalls pretty much everything to death. Even the likes of Gliscor, if they aren't packing Ice Fang, go down to it before long, and they aren't safe behind a Sub thanks to Infiltrator.

Gourgeist and Trevenant are hard counters to this set.

Edit: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-68121950

And now an example of it out-stalling a Blissey, despite the fact it can heal itself.

Last edited:
Now, I'm not sure if this would be considered a "shitty gimmick", but I've been having surprising success with this Jumpluff set.

Jumpluff Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252HP/4Sp.Def/252Spd
Timid Nature
Infestation
Sleep Powder
Substitute
Leech Seed

It plays off of the typical Sub-Seed strategy, but takes it up a notch by trapping them in and making them unable to do anything to Jumpluff as it watches the opponent die slowly. With the buff to the in-between turn effects of Trapping moves, without Leftovers, a Pokemon will be losing 24% of its Health each turn (16% if Leftovers/Black Sludge is held). Sleep Clause doesn't come into affect since the Pokemon asleep is still in the battle. And, the nice thing about Infestation is that it won't be blocked since it has perfect accuracy and no Pokemon is immune to Bug.

Jumpluff also happens to be surprisingly bulky on the Special side, so its Sub can take a resisted hit or two before breaking. It also makes a good anti-Smeargle lead since its faster and immune to Spore.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-67968457

Just an example of it in action and taking down a Mega Lucario.

Granted, this is shut down hard by other Grass-types, and it doesn't exactly appreciate Ghost-types (as they can't be trapped) or those with Overcoat either, but it can be a pretty effective Wall breaker since it simply out-stalls pretty much everything to death. Even the likes of Gliscor, if they aren't packing Ice Fang, go down to it before long, and they aren't safe behind a Sub thanks to Infiltrator.

Gourgeist and Trevenant are hard counters to this set.

Edit: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-68121950

And now an example of it out-stalling a Blissey, despite the fact it can heal itself.
Curious here - how exactly does this work? You sleep powder someone, they switch out as you infest, and... then they just kill you?

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I believe he Infestations first so he doesn't waste the Sleep Powder, then puts the trapped foe to sleep before SubSeeding them. The main flaw of this strategy is that it has to set up both Infestation and Leech Seed on a new target, so once a target is KOed / freed early, Jumpluff is put at risk again, especially if Sleep Clause was activated. That and Grass-types / Magic Guard mons.

This probably is a shitty gimmick but I thought of a hilarious Smeargle set for the 3v3 Battle Spot meta:

Smeargle @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Super Fang
- Heal Bell/Trick
- Haze/Trick

Spore something->Spread it across your opponent's team if they switch/Switch into something of your own->???->Profit.

Super Fang for whittling down bulky Pokemon and Heal Bell/Haze/Trick for random support moves.

TalonLAME and priority in general throws a wrench in this though.

Could also go for 252 ATK/Adamant and toss V-Create on there if you feel like being really bad at the game and wanna huehuehuehue a 252 HP Scizor to death

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Prankster
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def, Modest / Rash
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Thunder
-HP Ice / Hammer Arm

I haven't tested this out at all, but I like the idea of using Sleep Talk as a loophole to Prankster only working on non-attacking moves, giving Thundurus priority Thunders and a way to heal off LO recoil. Not sure about the EV spread exactly, but I figured with priority it's not as important to max his speed and therefore those EVs can go towards rounding out his bulk (79 / 70 / 80 isn't great but it's not unusable). HP Ice covers Gliscor, Garchomp and Trevenant, Hammer Arm covers Ttar, Blissey and Excadrill.

Im having great results with this set on showdown, i dont know if it's a shitty gimmick but it works for me

Lazyranitar
Tyranitar @Tyranitarite
Sand Stream
252 hp / 252 Atk /4 def

-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Crunch

Uses the enhanced stats from mega tyranitar to wreck the oposing team. Edgequake for coverage, crunch to check specific threats. Enhances survivability(is it said correctly?) by putting restalk into the mix.

This is completely untested and not entirely finished, more of a (slightly contrived) thought I had. Not sure if worth using, but I'd certainly like to try it. Pokébank obviously.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers?
EVs: don't really know. Max Atk/Spd or max Atk/HP?
Adamant/Jolly
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Knock Off/U-Turn/Fly/Return
-Stone Edge/Knock Off/U-Turn/Fly/Return/Swords Dance/Rock Polish
-Role Play

Role Play Landorus-T. It doesn't get any more use out of Intimidate once it's switched in, but just look at all the other abilities in OU it would love to have instead. Many physically offensive Pokémon (the kind that Landorus-T loves coming in on), especially megas, are used because they have great physically offensive abilities: Parental Bond, Huge Power, Tough Claws (sux on Landorus tho), Gale Wings (see: Fly, sadly the only Flying STAB it gets, save for...), Aerilate (see: Return), Adaptability, Mold Breaker...maybe even more that I'm forgetting.

Obviously, they could switch out to a better matchup before you copy their ability. But that's fine, since I'm sure Landorus wouldn't mind having something like Natural Cure, Sturdy, Fur Coat, Regenerator, Poison Heal (loltoxicgliscor), Protean (you're going to want Sticky Web if you try to pull this one), Flash Fire, Storm Drain, Iron Barbs or one of the other -ates. JUST THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES. You might want to check the Team Preview for Rotom-W though.

But will it just die before it can do anything? Don't know, never played Pokébank.
But would it rather get a new ability than use the turn to get +2 Atk/Spd? Don't know, but the option to run a boosting move is there if you want it.

I'm going to make a team around this now.

EDIT: I've tested it. It's a bad gimmick. Not happy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)