Crippling Winter (Mono-Ice peaked at #1)

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
CRIPPLING
WINTER

Hello Smogon! Don Honchkrorleone, better, Patropi speaking here. Most of you that know my second name probably play Monotype at PO or watched Prof. Raimundo (cool show). Well, I used to play OU, but since every team was equal, I wanted to get into a new tier. My first monotype team was a Flying, which was successful but I didn't like much. My second was a Dark, but it sucked a lot. In my third attempt, I chose the team I'll present to you. It was a funny story because at the time I was going to make my new team, my mother told me to don't forget to give my Grandfather a gift she has bought. My Grandfather oddly looks like to the staple of any Ice team, Abomasnow, so I decided to put that pokemon on my team to remind me. As Abomasnow was already in my team, I've decided to make a Mono-ice, and the result was and still is the #1 place at Smogon Monotype ladder at Pokemon Online with 1185 points, and many unofficial tournaments at there.

Before showing the team-building process, I know many of you may think: "Just 1185, I achieved insert number higher than 1185 here at insert random tier here". Well, people don't get in Monotype ladder too often. Making this RMT, I also wish that many more people join Monotype because it's a vey cool and funny tier. When you feel tired of Ttar+VoltTurn users, Roserade, Cofagrigus, Magmortar, Kyogre, Mienfoo or getting a Toxic Orb Shedinja at CC (sad but true...), give it a shot. Well, let's start:

TEAM-BUILDING PROCESS

Well, I already told you the history of how I picked Ice for my monotype team, so the first pokemon you already know (if you read the explanation above. Probably didn't and simply jumped to the team).

Abomasnow is the main reason people go for a Mono-Ice. Whithout him, people would never make Ice monotype teams. The bad thing with the Ice-type is that it has severe weakness to most of the relevant types, and Abomasnow is weak to the rest of the relevant types. I needed Ice Pokemon that could cover some of his weakness, so two popsicles appeared: Froslass and Kyurem.

Froslass is my favorite Ice pokemon and a damn good battler, especially in hail where she can abuse Snow Cloak. She is also immune to Fighting, a plague to every other Ice-types bar Articuno. Kyurem is a fearsome beast with that 130 attacking stats and considerable bulk and Speed. Also he was neutral to Fire, kinda softing that weakness. So with half of my team decided, I chose to pick up two of the most powerful and loved Ice-types: Mamoswine and Weavile.

Mamoswine has a STAB EQ and a 130 Attack. He also has Stealth Rock to help whatever I was planning to sweep. Originally I wanted Thick Fat, but I needed SR, as well Ice Shard > Icicle Crash and Icicle Spear. Weavile is also a great pokemon, with a Psychic immunity and great sweeping potential. Now I only needed one more Ice. I forgot about many stuff and went with Cryogonal.

I chose Cryogonal since Ice is weak to SR, and at that time I thought it was the only viable Ice spinner (sorry Delibird). Then I started to battle, and found that most of things were wrong. I decided to give a revamp on my team to find the error. I then swapped Cryogonal for Cloyster as a supporter.

Let's face it: Weavile sucks, as Cloyster as a supporter. I then remembered that Cloyster learns Shell Smash (how could I forget?). SS Cloyster is brilliant in this team, and it became its main set. Then I had to replace Weavile with something that wouldn't let me down. I tried Rotom-F, Jynx, Walrein, Vanilluxe and finally I came across a creature extremely powerful that few people don't consider but should.

Glaceon. 130 SpA + Blizzard = obliteration of most things in Monotype metagame, even things that are supposed to resist fall for it. Glaceon proved to be very valuable, and a great killer. With Glaceon, my team was done, and the Ice Age on the Monotype tier was about to begin...

THE TEAM:

Abomasnow (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 28 Atk / 252 SAtk / 228 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain / Wood Hammer
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Shard

Abomasnow, aka my grandfather, is the sole reason that a Monotype is even viable at all. I picked a mixed variant because it really helps against most monotypes (in fact it helps against all bar Fire ones). Blizzard always hits in Hail, and it's powerful coming from 310 SpA. Giga Drain is preferred over Wood Hammer because most of times it keeps his Focus Sash intact. Wood Hammer is better if the foe uses something with lower Defense such as Vaporeon and Politoed (everybody uses Politoed at Monotype, it's disgusting). Hidden Power Fire deals with Steel-types not named Heatran. It's also a punishment for mono-bug teams that start with Scizor just to "troll" me, but they're trolled instead. Ice Shard is used to usually deal the finishing blow, mostly after they break my Sash, and that happens almost ALL TIME! Focus Sash works wonders for me, so it should stay. His evs, well, I put max SpA to max Blizzard's power. I also gave him sufficient evs to KO stuff after a Blizzard, Grass move f choice or HP Fire. Generally I don't worry for evs in Monotype because unless it's Steel (and even then), people doesn't use the usual threats, so it's almost impossible to be prepared for everything.

Froslass (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Destiny Bond

I love Froslass, I used it in my OU team, I'll use it in my Ghost team (whenever I make one), and I'm using it in this team. Snow Cloak is awesome, and Substitute just adds more coolnes (no pun). Seriously, as gimmicky it may sound at first, it actually works! From there, the opponent is worn down by hail and a moderately powerful BoltBeam. You may be asking why Ice Beam and not Blizzard. Well, for two reasons: First, I usually lead with Frosslass if I know that my opponent will start with something that harms my team (The opponent always start with somethink he/she thinks it'll 6-0 me). The second reason is that even if I already have the weather at my side, the opponent may carry a weather starter or a move like Sunny Day. Destiny Bond is the ultimate troll. It screws up too much stuff with that 350 base Speed. It guarantees Frosslass will take out at least one of the opponent's pokemon. It's Evs are pretty much straightforward, max SpA and Speed.

Kyurem @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 60 Atk / 196 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam / Blizzard
- Focus Blast
- Outrage

Kyurem is the only Ice-type from BW that actually has usefulness. In fact, Kyurem is extremely useful. Kyurem is awesome!!! Just hoping for BW2 give it Fusion Flare at least, the it'll become almost unstoppable. He is the revenge killer of my team (for things that doesn't die with a mere Ice Shard), and 95 Speed isn't that bad for a scarf user. Draco Meteor demolishes stuff. Ice Beam is it's second STAB, and although Blizzard is MUCH more powerful, his situation is the same as Froslass'. Focus Blast is for coverage on Steels. Even Scizor doesn't like taking it. And finally Outrage hits by the physical side special walls such as Blissey (Normal), Tentacruel (Poison and Water) and many more. It also catches monodragons that aren't scarfed. I need maximum Speed because 95 is good but not great. With his strong attacks, 311 Atk and 345 SpA are perfect to create holes in the opponent's team and destroy weakened stuff.

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stone Edge

Mamoswine is threatenning, even with his twisted heart-shaped nose. He's a boss with his high Atk and considerable bulk. He's also the only Fully-evolved Ice that learns Stealth Rock IIRC, and if isn't Mamoswine is alright in my team and I don't want to change him for anything. His Ice Shard is very powerful, as is his EQ with STAB. Stone Edge destroys (if it hits) unboosted Volcarona and Rotom-H, that in Mono-fire teams tend to switch thinking I'll use EQ on their grounded Fire pokemon. The problem with it Stone Edge is that it accuracy sucks, too bad... Again evs straightforward. Even at Adamant, it can outspeed great part of the mono-threats. Also, LO add power for Ice Shard. And unfortunately Thick Fat is illegal with Ice Shard, but downgrading Fire Blast and Focus Blast's accuracy is always funny.

Glaceon (F) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SAtk / 136 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam

Isn't Glaceon cute? Isn't Glaceon the most adorable Eeveelution (with Espeon)? Well, something else you don't know about Glaceon is that she's extremely strong. Especially under hailstorm, where she hits like a bullet train (Trucks don't hit as hard as her). Glaceon is my destroyer. She's bulky enough to take an unboosted Outrage from Salamence and retaliate back with Blizzard or Ice Beam oming from 589 SpA. Speaking of Blizzard, I have countless memories of 2HKOing or OHKOing stuff like Tentacruel, Ferrothorn, Porygon2 and more. HP Fighting adds coverage against Steels, while Shadow Ball cripples most mono-ghost and mono-psychic teams. Ice beam is in the last slot because, really, what else does she have? Water Pulse, Signal Beam and Sleep Talk. The first two are weak and the latter is situational. Also, Ice Beam is a great option if weather isn't the one I want. I made her bulky while kinda fast at the same time. And she never disappoints me.

Cloyster (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spd
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell

Bah I don't like Cloyster, but I can't deny it can be my MVP. He's the second best Shell Smasher in the game (the first is Smeargle), and Skill Link makes the otherwise useless Icicle Spear and Rock Blast a weapon of mass destruction, breaking Sturdy users, Sash holders and all but some Steel-type Substitutes (sometimes it destroys). I picked Razor Shell over a special move because I hate to split evs, and Razor Shell has a high critical hit ratio and considerable power. Focus Sash is the best item because I can switch him in something, Shell Smash, and kill stuff. I'm also considering Lum Berry for random T-waves and Will-o-Wisps. His Speed evs are needed to outspeed some scarfers after the SS boost.

So this is my team. I hope you liked it, and also rate this for me please. Oh, and give a shot to Monotype tier. I'm sure you'll love as much as I do :)

Abomasnow (M) @ Focus Sash Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 28 Atk / 252 SAtk / 228 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Shard
Kyurem @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 60 Atk / 196 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Outrage
Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stone Edge
Froslass (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SAtk / 244 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Destiny Bond
Glaceon (F) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SAtk / 136 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
Cloyster (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spd
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell

pretty good team. i have a mono ice team as well of course yours would probably win. it seems really well thought out.good job

btw scarf kyurem=better than specs ^_^

you do realize that cb scizor with bullet punch and stealth rocks up OHKOs your entire team, and I mean every single pokemon

You know Josemi, I think he does.

Anyway, I love monotype teams and this is no exception! Very good team, and luvdisc'd because Ice is awesome.

you must be a genious to make a mono ice, since ice is the probably the hardest types to make monotype with. but i realize that scarf chandelure WRECKS your team if kyurem is down, and if kyurem is not on the field, you have to sacrifice something or hope it to miss against frosslass/glaceon/mamoswine. i don't know exactly what can counter it, but i just liked to point it out. and awesome team btw!

^Holy Necrobump Batman!^

anyway Don, i know how it feels now that Snow Cloak is banned. A giant step backwards for us mono-icers :/

yeah he told me that you guys were gonna try and fix it, good luck with it. if you need any help let me know because im trying to fix mine as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)