Crouching Scizor, Hidden Salamence (OU Warstory)

I was toying around with my new offensive team (this was a first time team for me, I usually relied on bulky-offense or straightforward stall), and it was still being tested. I was pleased with the results I was getting. My winning percentage was considerably higher than my losing percentage, and I was falling in love with SubPetaya Empoleon (who isn't though?). I was looking for a battle, however, that would really put the team to the test, and luckily for me, my match with Zak91 definately was that battle.

Rules
Ladder Match
Sleep Clause
Freeze Clause
OHKO Clause
Evasion Clause
Species Clause
Strict Damage Clause
Soul Dew Clause

Dark Blue text refers to Zak91's Pokemon
Maroon text refers to my Pokemon

vs.

Zak91 sent out Starscream
Mr.T sent out Mamoswine
locopoke has entered the room.
randomMe has entered the room.
Jirachi used U-turn.
Mamoswine lost 25% of its health.
D-A has entered the room.
Kevin Garrett has entered the room.
Zak91 switched in Calypso
Mamoswine used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!

Eh...Jirachi is a tricky lead to deal with. While most are Trick-Scarf variants, I've seen a few Dual Screeners in the past few weeks. I first wanted to Earthquake his face off, but I predicted he'd U-Turn out (perhaps he wasn't trusting in Iron Head's flinch chance?) and went with Stealth Rock to guarantee it'd get set up. So as of now, a full health Celebi is staring at my 75% Mamoswine, while I have virtually no way of hurting it, (Ice Shard from an unboosted, Jolly Swine ain't doing enough to threaten it) and it likely has Grass Knot (which KOs at this point if I remember correctly).

I had a few options here. I could've kept Mamoswine alive, gone to Scizor, and hopefully Pursuit it for the KO, or U-Turn and dent whatever switched in. However, the biggest problems with that were Hidden Power Fire, Thunder Wave, and even Reflect. Losing Scizor this early in the match would be idiotic, since it's easily more crucial to my team than Mamoswine is. I kind of don't want him to overpredict and for him to predict the Pursuit-user switch and go to something like Magnezone (or even a bulky Fighting-type if he anticipated Tyranitar). I sort of want to keep Mamoswine alive, but if losing him can prevent me from losing Scizor, then that'd be the safest alternative.

Mamoswine used Ice Shard.
It's super effective!
Celebi lost 25% of its health.
Celebi used Grass Knot.
It's super effective!
Mamoswine lost 75% of its health.
Mr.T's Mamoswine fainted.
Celebi's leftovers restored 6% its health a little!

Well, that didn't work out well whatsoever =( He used Grass Knot, meaning Scizor would've essentially came in for free, and threatened with the Pursuit. Of course, I don't know if he has Hidden Power Fire yet, and at the end of the day, I still felt safer losing Mamo rather than potentially risking Scizor. In a sense, Mamoswine couldn't do much to his team (Jirachi would've owned it any which way, and Celebi, as you can see, takes laughable damage from even the super effective Ice Shard). The scoreboard is in Zak's favor now, and while it seems like I'm at a disadvantage, I always see sacrifices as a way to recap on the battle and try and get back on top. Looking at his Celebi, it has Leftovers, meaning it probably doesn't have Hidden Power Fire (the only time I saw HP Fire was on a Life Orb sweeper), although it could still use Reflect and Thunder Wave.

With all this in mind, I was hesitant to bring in Scizor, but after thinking it over, it truly was the safest choice, and I kick myself now for not having done so in the first place. RIP, Mamo :(

- 100%
- 81%
- 0%

6-5: Zak91

Mr.T switched in Scizor
Zak91 switched in Daredevil
Pointed stones dug into Gliscor.
Gliscor lost 12% of its health.
Mr.T switched in Tyranitar
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
A sandstorm brewed!
The sandstorm rages.
Gliscor's leftovers restored 6% its health a little!

I bring in Scizor (finally), and as of now, the thoughts of running through my head. What if it has HP Fire? So far, that's been my biggest fear; losing Scizor to a Celebi. Not only is it completely stupid, it's also a tad embarrasing =( To put my anxiety to rest, I decided to try and lure it out of him. By going to Scizor, it's obvious I'm here to either U-Turn or Pursuit, both of which are potentially fatal (though only U-Turn will guarantee the KO). The best thing for Zak to do here is either use Hidden Power Fire, or switch-out. If he switches, then I'll be able to have my Tyraniboah come in for free. If he uses Hidden Power Fire (honestly, it's what I'm hoping for), then Tyranitar comes in for the scare, and I'll be able to Dark Pulse it, or even get up a Substitute. He probably doubts I'd have two Pursuiters.

The match-up I end up getting into is far from ideal. Gliscor vs. Tyranitar almost always ends up with Gliscor coming out on top, especially when the Tyranitar is CB. Unfortunately for Zak, this is not a Choice Band Tyranitar, it's a Boah. A Boah with Ice Beam might I add. If Zak is keen on predicting, he'll likely expect me to switch-out, giving him a free Swords Dance or time to set-up Stealth Rock. If I'm right, which I should be, he'll try and stat up on my switch. It's risky, but I'll have to take it if I want the rest of my team to sweep easier.

Gliscor used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Tyranitar used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Gliscor lost 94% of its health.
Zak91's Gliscor fainted.

Score! With Gliscor gone, Scizor will have more breathing room, and won't have any trouble U-Turning the hell out of his team. So far, the match is even, 5-5, and both of us have seen half of each others team. Just by looking at Jirachi / Celebi / Gliscor, and the fact that Gliscor was using Stealth Rock, I can tell he's using a more defensive team, which is somewhat good and somewhat bad for me. Good in the sense that my sweepers will be able to set up more likely than not, but bad since they can potentially survive my attacks and stall me out. I'm expecting Jirachi to rear its ugly head again, and while I definately don't want it to Iron Head me, it could potentially U-Turn out.

If it uses U-Turn, I can Substitute again and go for either a Focus Punch or even a Dark Pulse (he'll likely bait a Focus Punch and go to Celebi to soak it up, although it won't do much for me, as it's extra damage). Still, if it uses Iron Head, I'm screwed. I've already had one too many sacrifices (Mamoswine), so I'm pretty sure it's time to play carefully, and rely on my team's natural resistances.

- 100%
- 100%
- 0%

5-5: Even

Zak91 switched in Jirachi
Pointed stones dug into Jirachi
Jirachi lost 6% of its health.
Mr.T switched in Scizor
Pointed stones dug into Scizor.
Scizor lost 12% of its health.
Jirachi used U-turn.
It's not very effective...
Scizor lost 13% of its health.
Zak91 switched in Scimitar
Pointed stones dug into Scizor91.
Scizor91 lost 12% of its health.

Hopefully you know which Scizor is which.

Like I expected, Jirachi comes in. Knowing it's a physical Scarf variant, I expected it to Iron Head for the KO (or 2HKO most likely). Because of this, I went to Scizor, hoping to Pursuit and perhaps deal enough damage so that the next time it can in, it'd be easy picking. Unfortunately, Zak made a better prediction and U-Turned to the safety of his own Scizor. The two, red armored bugs face off, both are likely Choice Banded, at least mine is. I have a few options now, I could U-Turn myself, hope I lose the Speed tie and hit whatever he brings in, or, I could use Superpower and hope he tries and Bullet Punches me. By looking at his team, he definately would not switch-in Celebi (whom I'm now certain lacks HP Fire) meaning Superpower would either hit his own Scizor, his Jirachi, or something else I haven't seen yet...and then it hits me...

...Gliscor's dead. So far, I've seen two Fighting resists; Celebi and Gliscor. I'd highly doubt he'd pack a third (unless he has something like Gengar or Dusknoir, of course the former is fragile, and the latter is set up bait for Tyranitar fortunately) Fighting resist. The safest option is definately Superpower, hitting Scizor and Jirachi for a ton of damage.

Scizor91 used U-turn.
Scizor lost 36% of its health.
Pointed stones dug into Jirachi.
Scizor used Superpower.
Jirachi lost 66% of its health.
Scizor's attack was lowered.
Scizor's defence was lowered.

That worked out perfectly! Jirachi's at low enough health that a second Superpower will finish it off, and he confirmed that his Scizor is Choice Banded. There's little need to switch-out, as I doubt Iron Head is going to KO me at this point (if he wants to Fire Punch, then fine by me, that's another chance to set-up Tyranitar). Superpower is going to smash it.

- 39%
(91)- 88%
- 22%

Jirachi used Iron Head.
Scizor lost 29% of its health.
Scizor flinched!

What...the...hell...A flinch I can understand, but Iron Head doing up to 30%? I expected it to be like...a 3HKO from this point ._. Damn...that just totally screwed me over. Now Jirachi lives and Scizor dies at the same time. Ugh, no point in keeping it alive, since it's death fodder currently anyway, and if it switches out and comes back in, Stealth Rock will kill it.

Jirachi used Iron Head.
Scizor lost 10% of its health.
Mr.T's Scizor fainted.

Yeah, there's the KO I was worried about. While it may seem like I'm on the losing side, but with Iron Head being a Steel-type move (thus one of the worst, and most easy to wall), I have the prime chance to set-up one of my end-game sweepers. It may not be late-game, but missing out on such an opprotunity would be sinful!

-0%

- 22%

5-4: Zak91

Mr.T switched in Empoleon
Pointed stones dug into Empoleon.
Empoleon lost 6% of its health.
Zak91 switched in Celebi
Pointed stones dug into Celebi.
Celebi lost 12% of its health.
Empoleon used Agility.
Empoleon's speed was sharply raised.

Hmm...Celebi isn't the kindest thing to Empoleon generally. Ice Beam hurts and all, but it won't OHKO. Even a Petaya boosted Ice Beam fails to net an OHKO, and while I would really like to finish it off right here (Ice Beam 2HKOs I believe, with Sandstorm and the Stealth Rock damage taken, it should guarantee it), by seeing Grass Knot and Recover, as well as Leftovers, it makes me think Celebi is running a standard Thunder Wave support set. A paralysed Empoleon would be terrible, and while I certainly don't want to ruin its sweep. I'll go for the Substitute to ensure I come out on top.

Empoleon used Substitute.
Empoleon lost 25% of its health.

Empoleon made a substitute!
Celebi used Recover.
Celebi restored 32% of its health.

That couldn't have worked out any better! I've got my Substitute up, and Ice Beam is going to demolish it. I could Agility up again, just to ensure I outrun everything, however, I don't see the point of it, and decided to Ice Beam for the (hopeful) 2HKO.

Empoleon used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Celebi lost 54% of its health.
Celebi used Grass Knot.
The substitute took damage for Empoleon!
Empoleon's substitute faded!

Hmm...Ice Beam is an easy 2HKO, which surprised me honestly. I'm either guessing he's running no SpD EVs, or not maximum HP. Either way, I threaten to 2HKO right here, right now. I could Substitute and hope he switches, though it won't do much good, as I outrun everything on his team currently, and threaten to OHKO everyone pretty much with a Torrent boosted Surf (I think it KOs Celebi from here also). Considering he knows Empoleon's going to destroy whatever he has left with Surf, removing the main threat (Celebi) is obviously top priority. Bye you salad freak ^__^

- 69% (+2 Speed)
- 46%

Zak91 switched in Amethyst
Pointed stones dug into Starmie.
Starmie lost 12% of its health.
Empoleon used Ice Beam.
Starmie lost 20% of its health.
The sandstorm rages.
Starmie is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Starmie lost 6% of its health.
Starmie leftovers restored 6% of its health!

Ouch, that's not good. Starmie is another thing that can potentially cause Empoleon harm without its Petaya boost. It absorbed the Ice Beam comfortably, and Thunderbolt (hoping it doesn't run it!) will prevent me from subbing up and hitting it from the Sub's safety. There is honestly only one option; set up the wrath of SubPetaya Empoleon! Basically, rely on the power of a Torrent boosted Surf!

Starmie used Recover.
Starmie restored 32% of its health.

Interesting play, hmm...I get behind the safety of a Substitute, but Starmie gets to full health. Obviously, even a Petaya Torrent Surf fails to OHKO (though it does come damn close). Luckily for me, however, I Subbed, meaning I can Surf it, and hopefully kill it with two Surfs (one while unboosted, and one that's boosted). It just has to work, otherwise I'm screwed.

Empoleon used Surf.
Starmie lost 31% of its health.
Starmie used Thunderbolt.
It's super effective!

Wow...Surf did a lot more than I expected it to do. Starmie's now at 69%, meaning that if it Recovers, all I have to do is keep Surfing it until it gets lower, or keep Subbing until the Petaya Berry activates and I get into Torrent range, Surf, and pray to god that it KOs from here...So out of these two options, Subbing is obviously the safer option, letting me live the Thunderbolt and ultimately getting me the Petaya boost, however, if he Recovers, I've wasted a turn and he's back at full health, while I have to Surf him again, and may end up with him at a higher HP than he was prior. Of course, if he Thunderbolts and I Surf, failing to KO him, he not only kills Empoleon, but pretty much wins the entire match, as my Starmie can only Thunderbolt him (Scizor bait).

Starmie used Thunderbolt.
It's super effective!
Empoleon's Petaya Berry raised its special attack!

It looks like my conservative playing paid off. I get my Petaya Berry and Torrent set up, and he remains at 69%...It's all a matter of luck and damage modifiers now >.<

Empoleon used Surf.
Starmie lost 69% of its health.
Zak91's Starmie fainted.

Oh my GOD that killed it! For those of who who don't know yet, a Modest Petaya Berry Surf with Torrent deals between 58.98%-69.83%. The chance of it actually killing was so amazingly low, the chances were actually against me. Still, now that the scoreboard is tied again, I've got to keep on my toes. He still has a Scizor that can potentially outrun me, and he still has one unseen Pokemon, meaning he could have anything from a Blissey to a Vaporeon in his midst. I can only hope for the best.

- 19% (+2 Speed) ~*~*~*TORRENT*~*~
- 0%

4-4: Even

Hmm...that's an interesting switch. I was expecting him to bring in Scizor for the Bullet Punch (which would've failed to KO, guess that's why I was hoping and expecting it). Instead, I get a Scarf Jirachi as his answer to a +2 Speed Empoleon. I'm under the assumption I outrun and KO it from here...since it's a bulky version with Trick / Iron Head / Stealth Rock / U-Turn, right? Right.

Jirachi used Fire Punch.
Empoleon lost 19% of its health.
Mr.T's Empoleon fainted.

Oh fuck...that changes things significantly. Apparently, he's running a Scarf Jirachi (probably with Fire Punch and Ice Punch) with enough Speed to outpace even a Timid AgiliPoleon. Not only is that bad in the sense that I lose my last hope of sweeping his team, but because if it's Jolly, it may outrun my Starmie (I run Modest Scarf)...Being locked in Fire Punch still is a pretty easy situation to work out of, namely with Tyranitar ;)

- 0%
- 16%

4-3: Zak91

Mr.T switched in Tyranitar
Pointed stones dug into Tyranitar.
Tyranitar lost 12% of its health.
Zak91 switched in Tyranitar91
Tyranitar91's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
Pointed stones dug into Tyranitar91.
Tyranitar91 lost 12% of its health.
Tyranitar used Substitute.
Tyranitar lost 25% of its health.
Tyranitar made a substitute!
The sandstorm rages.
Tyranitar's leftovers restored 6% its health a little!
Tyranitar91's leftovers restored 6% its health a little!

Excellent, just as expected, I substituted on his switch, to...a Tyranitar. What was he trying to do? I was anticipating a switch to Scizor, U-Turn on the baited Focus Punch, and then straight to Celebi. I'm guessing he didn't want to risk his Scizor being outrun by a faster Tyranitar for the Flamethrower? I still don't know, but since his Tyranitar is using Leftovers, it's one of three things: 1) A CurseTar, which posses literally no threat to my own Tyranitar. 2) A Dragon Dancer, which won't DD with me being a Sub threatening to potentially Focus Punch. 3) A foe Tyraniboah. In all three cases, I hold the advantage, being able to Focus Punch for the KO. He's going to die whether he likes it or not, unless of course, he baits it to Celebi...

...Which is another story. If he does so, he could still potentially die from SS + Focus Punch + Stealth Rock, meaning he'd waste a way to break my Boah's Sub, and since Scizor is going to either die from Focus Punch, or force something else to take the full powered Focus Punch (thus dying it from it as well), switching isn't likely. Perhaps he's letting his own Tyranitar die for the chance to break my Sub while also staying on top in terms of who has the freedom to move. Whatever the case, Focus Punch is the safest move in this case.

Tyranitar is tightening its focus!
Zak91 switched in Celebi
Pointed stones dug into Celebi
Celebi lost 12% of its health.
Tyranitar used Focus Punch.
Celebi lost 15% of its health.
Tyranitar's leftovers restored 6% of its health

Wow, that worked out perfectly for him. He gets the death-free switch, is able to break my substitute, and will not have to lose Scizor or Tyranitar. Obviously, the only thing I can do is go for the Dark Pulse. That really didn't work out for me =/

Celebi used Grass Knot.
It's super effective!
The substitute took damage for Tyranitar!
Tyranitar's substitute faded!
Tyranitar used Dark Pulse.
It's super effective!
Celebi lost 19% of its health.
Zak91's Celebi fainted.

Now that I can see what he was trying to do, I can only commend him for the excellent prediction. The scoreboard may be tied, but he's obviously got the upper hand in a sense that nothing on my team wants to take a Choice Banded U-Turn. Salamence is my only resist, and that gets waxed with Stealth Rock up, plus Scarf Jirachi just gets a free switch-in and Ice Punches it to death. The only real option I have is to let Tyranitar die, revenge kill the Jirachi with Starmie, and hopefully Surf his Tyranitar twice while it Dragon Dances (I really want him to overpredict here, as it can potentially save me in the long run). I can only hope for the best.

- 81%
- 0%

3-3: Even

Zak91 switched in Scizor
locopoke has left the room.
Scizor used U-turn.
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 81% of its health.
Mr.T's Tyranitar fainted.

Predictable kill, there was nothing I could really do here since Tyranitar was the weakest link. Starmie outruns the rest of his team, can kill Jirachi, resists Scizor's Bullet Punch, and hits Tyranitar hard with a STAB Surf. Salamence is able to stay shatter Tyranitar with Earthquake, and also live a U-Turn or Superpower from Scizor easily, killing it with Fire Fang. Tyranitar just doesn't cut it sadly, and while it pains me to see my favorite Pokemon go down, we all have to make sacrifices =(

- 0%
- 76%
- 10%

3-2: Zak91

Mr.T switched in Starmie
Pointed stones dug into Starmie.
Starmie lost 12% of its health.
Starmie used Surf.
Jirachi lost 10% of its health.
Zak91's Jirachi fainted.

Hehe, I finally see that damn Jirachi die. It's been terrorizing my team for much too long, and I'm assuming he thought I was running a standard Life Orb or Spinner Starmie. Nope, this is a Scarf Starmie, with Trick specifically made to screw over Blissey and some Vaporeon for Empoleon's sweep. Unfortunately, it has no time for trickery, and has to kill Jirachi. As of now, Tyranitar is likely to come in, and while it can potentially DD up and try and kill me, I'm not going to let it. I'm going to go all out, hope it DDs, and then try and kill it in two Surfs. I'm Modest, so it should kill it in two.

- 82%
- 0%

2-2: Even

Zak91 switched in Tyranitar
Pointed stones dug into Tyranitar.
Tyranitar lost 12% of its health.
Starmie used Surf.
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 38% of its health.
Tyranitar used Payback.
It's super effective!
Starmie lost 82% of its health.
Mr.T's Starmie fainted.

Well that was terrible. I was expecting him to use something such as Crunch, or even Pursuit (would've been a better situation for me, as I could've set up). Sadly, it seems Zak runs either a ResTalk Tyranitar, or a Curse Tyranitar. Unforunately for him, both sets are unable to handle Salamence, meaning I can kill it, however, I was still not able to finish it off, stripping a mere 38% off it. The match has boiled down to our last Pokemon; my Salamence vs. his Tyranitar and Scizor. Tyranitar is easy to take down, as a Life Orb Earthquake will shatter it, however, Scizor is a much more problamatic threat. Bullet Punch bypasses my Speed advantage, and still nails me hard. I do, however, feel Salamence can live a Bullet Punch and Fire Fang him for the OHKO...I'm on my last leg for victory.

- 0%
- 50%

2-1: Zak91

Mr.T switched in Salamence
Salamence's intimidate cut Tyranitar's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Salamence.
Salamence lost 25% of its health.
Salamence used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 50% of its health.
Zak91's Tyranitar fainted.
Salamence lost 10% of its health.
Salamence is buffetted by the sandstorm!
Salamence lost 6% of its health.

Salamence's biggest flaw, in my opinion, is his Stealth Rock weaknesses, meaning by just switching in, launching a hit, and taking Stealth Rock damage, he's already halfway dead. The odds are highly against me, sadly. Bullet Punch from a 591 Attack stat is really strong, and Salamence is low on health, didn't get off Intimidate, and has no defensive investment...Things are looking grim.

- 59%
- 0%

1-1: Even

Zak91 switched in Scizor
Zak91: gg
Scizor used Bullet Punch.
Salamence lost 59% of its health.

Mr.T's Salamence fainted.
Zak91 wins!
Mr.T: gg
Kevin Garrett has left the room.
randomMe has left the room.
D-A has left the room

That was a fantastic match, and it took everything I had to make the score as close as it had to be. After the match, I did some calculations for an Adamant Choice Band Scizor's Bullet Punch against my Salamence, and it turned out I would've taken 58.91%-69.18%. I had a very, very, very, very, very small chance to live, but it seems that it didn't role maximum damage, and since Life Orb and Sandstorm would've gotten rid of the .08% Salamence had left. Oh well, GG Zak

- 0%
- 64%

1-0: Zak91

Props
*Zak91 for the great match
*Tyranitar, for removing Gliscor, Celebi, and being an overall force
*Zak's Scizor, definately the true hero on his team
*Jirachi, god that thing is annoying
*Empoleon, although he didn't do as much damage as he usually does, he was still awesome

Slops
*Salamence, suspect my ass
*Zak's Tyranitar, I would've liked to have seen it do more damage
*My Starmie, didn't do all that much, usually nabs a Blissey with Trick, or revenge kill Mence and Gyarados...not in this match
*BULLET PUNCH

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That was excellent. Can't say much more than that, really. It was your great comments that made a generic, albeit close and quite tense, offensive battle into such a good read. This is a very nice warstory, and I don't hesitate in giving it *****

Good job =]

I rarely read through a warstory, but I must admit that I completely read though this one. I think you did a great job with it

overall I thought that this was a very nice warstory,good comments, close battle.

I do have one nitpick
What...the...hell...A flinch I can understand, but Iron Head doing up to 30%? I expected it to be like...a 3HKO from this point ._. Damn...
remember superpower lowers your defense

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Wow, nice warstory. Your opponent plays pretty conservative. I guess the loss was acceptable because you did manage to kill Starmie with your Empoleon though. That's probably why you should run Modest instead of Timid.

See? Told you the colour-coding would work. :D
You really explained your thoughts intricately at each step, which really helps understand your methods of battling and logic. A nice read.

That was excellent. Can't say much more than that, really. It was your great comments that made a generic, albeit close and quite tense, offensive battle into such a good read. This is a very nice warstory, and I don't hesitate in giving it *****

Good job =]
Thanks, Legacy Raider. It really means a lot =)

REMOVE THE NICKNAMES!. Now to read it...
I only added them the first time, then removed them and added species name.

I rarely read through a warstory, but I must admit that I completely read though this one. I think you did a great job with it
I'm glad you enjoyed it, thanks!

He only mentions them the first time and uses the species name the other times...

Good story, though. Thorough commentary. b^^d
Yep, you're right. And thanks.

overall I thought that this was a very nice warstory,good comments, close battle.

I do have one nitpick
What...the...hell...A flinch I can understand, but Iron Head doing up to 30%? I expected it to be like...a 3HKO from this point ._. Damn...
I realized that as I was formatting it, but even still, I was surprised Iron Head did that much, even though it was on a -1 Def Scizor.

Nice warstory Valantaro, you have proven you are one of the best writers here :]
Thanks for taking the time to read it =) I'm waiting for more of your warstories too!

Wow, nice warstory. Your opponent plays pretty conservative. I guess the loss was acceptable because you did manage to kill Starmie with your Empoleon though. That's probably why you should run Modest instead of Timid.
Zak did really play conservatively, which kind of led to my downfall since I was expecting blistering offense. I do run Modest on Empoleon, I just know that the standard Scarf Jirachi is fast enough to outrun Timid Empoleon.

See? Told you the colour-coding would work. :D
You really explained your thoughts intricately at each step, which really helps understand your methods of battling and logic. A nice read.
I sure am glad I took your advice, the log looks a lot better with the colors in my opinion.

Thanks everyone.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I do have one nitpick

What he said. This was the only mis-play and lapse in thinking I saw in the story. When you said "there's is little reason to switch out," I was like "come again?" Also considering the piddly damage iron head does to empoleon, it would have been better to save Scizor even at 10% health as it could buy you a valuable free turn later even if killed by Sr. Scizor definitely should have switched out at that point, probably to empoleon. Also the nicknames annoy me even if they are only used once each.

Otherwise, it was very entertaining, and I was thinking along with you the whole time. Good job Battle, comments, sets, it was all just at the archive-level. I was totally freakin' out too when Jirachi outran empoleon. :O

edit: Also some people run Modest Flamethrower Boah with 76 speed (me), and maybe he was afraid of that on scizor (he has yet to see focus punch).

This was one of the only warstories I ever read where I didn't lose interest half way through and skip to the end to see the score. Was defiantly a great read, and I hope to see you write a few more =)

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
An extremely nice job.

However, I thought that it was common knowledge that Empoleon is outrun by Scarf Flygon. Jirachi has the same speed, so...

And apart from keeping Scizor in on Jirachi, it was a great battle. 5 Stars.

I really liked the warstory, a interesting read, plus a funky title!

Damn Zak91 and his mean old battlin' skills :o
I hope you win in your next warstory =D

This was a typical "April 2009 OU Metagame" battle (except for the fact that neither of you led Metagross). What made this shine is the top-notch commentary made by skilled players. I also loved seeing old-schoolTyraniboah playing such a big role, and the "uber-worthy" Mixmence failing at life. Heheheh.
Good job guys.

Great warstory!
The battle itself wasn't as close as it could get, but it was your great writing skill which made the read enjoyable. Good job =)

Excellent commentary. I think this battle really shows the power of U-turn. Nice job, glad that you took the effort to warstory this for us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)