Dancing with the ELEMENTS!! an OU rmt!

Overview:
Ok here is a team I am dabbling with for OU competitive play once pokebank is released, I am struggling so hard and could use as much advice as possible. I am running a bulky offense team centered around a FWG core used to keep momentum and to not allow my opponent to set up anything. I only have 1 set up sweeper on the team so the team is HEAVILY reliant on entry hazards. The main problem I see is that if I make a bad prediction and let my opponent push me on the defensive side I will struggle to come back due to lack of recovery moves as well as lack of Pokemon who can take hits. I really could use advice from you experienced battlers in order to make as many improvements as possible. I am not against replacing any of the poks except for Lucario.

Thanks in advance
- Stedy aka. Darkhound

THE CORE!!!

Focus sash
Timid
Protean
252Spatt, 252Spe, 4hp
-
Taunt
-Spikes
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam

Description: My Lead Pok and pseudoRevenge Killer. Greninja is possibly the most important pokemon on my team, He has two jobs 1: SHUT DOWN STICKY WEB and 2: GET SPIKES UP!!! If I am correct in my assumption that using spikes w/ protean turns frogadier into the ground type then the soon to be common Galvantula lead will be shut down by this guy, taunt the first turn to force him to attack, outspeed and set up spikes to become immune to the incoming thunder, break the sash with HydroPump while tanking the Neutral Bug Buzz and then bring Heatran in. Either way if the scenario doesn't play out like that and I do not need to taunt their lead then I am guaranteed 2 layers of spikes at least. ENTRY HAZARDS ARE ESSENTIAL for this team.

Leftovers
Careful
Natural Cure
252hp, 80SpD, 176Spe

-Horn Leach
-Rest
-Shadow Claw
-Will-o-Wisp

Description: My SPIN BLOCKER/Status Absorber, As I stated earlier this team is highly invested in entry hazards and therefor I need a spinblocker (Raises eyebrows at defog). This trevenant poses a slight offensive threat and of course the fear of crippling physical attackers while remaining as healthy as possible. Horn Leach/Natural Cure/Rest over Harvest Sitrus and Wood Hammer to ensure the kill on Starmie and to stay alive as long as possible. If I lose this guy before I take out the enemy spinner the match is pretty much over for me, thus all the recovery on him.

Air Balloon
Timid
Flash Fire
252Spatt, 252Spe, 4spd

-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Flash Cannon
-Stealth Rock

Description: My Stealth Rocker, Heatran finds ample opportunities to switch in and get SR up and flash cannon is there for secondary STAB and to threaten the new fairy types specifically Togekiss and Azumaril on the switch in. Air Balloon is the item of choice here in order to bait Fighting type moves which will hopefully allow me to bring in Latias.

THE POWER!!!!!

Lucario @Lucarioite
Inner Focus
Jolly
252Att, 252Spe, 4hp

-Swords Dance
-High Jump Kick
-Crunch
-Bullet Punch

Description: This guy is the iron fist of my team just waiting for a chance to come in and run a train on my opponent. It's pretty much the standard Luc set with a little bit of a twist. First off Jolly nature, WHY?!?! simply to outrun Other lucario, there is nothing worse than banking on a speed tie to win you the game and with sweepers as powerful as this mon one erra of bad luck can lose you the match. Second slight variation is HJK instead of Close Combat, This is here for 2 reasons. 1: To make up for the lack of power by running jolly instead of adamant and 2: NO DEFENSE DROPS. I think that this reason is hugely underrated, how many of you have won or lost a match by 6hp on your last pok hm?!?! damn near everyone. By not losing defenses Luc can take an unboosted Dnite extremespeed Scizor's Bullet Punch and the random quick attacks on band starapter and Live with just enough HP to win the match. Finally the last variation is the ability inner focus, I am using this over justified specifically for Togekiss. The last thing I need is to lose to some BS F#*&ING flinch hax when I am seconds away from sweeping a team, and with the new power in MegaEvolution I think that the Justified +1 bonus is slightly redundant.

THE SUPPORT!!!!

Leftovers
Sturdy
Impish
252HP, 252Def, 4Att

-Head Smash
-Earthquake
-Rapid Spin
-Ice Shard

Description: My Spinner, Donphan is here to get rid of that nasty sticky web if somehow I get out-predicted early on in the match. Donphan also provides a reliable counter to Aeigislash who will give my Lucario trouble if I fail to predict the crunch correctly and lose -2Att, Donphan doesn't have to worry about prediction and can easily take out my enemy's spin blocker with EQ. Head Smash is such a high BP move and even with no investment in Att anything that's weak to rock will fear switching into it. Head Smash will also be unexpected on this pok so if I can predict a switch in and hit them hard they will generally be forced out after for fear of death from Ice Shard, looking at Dnite in particular.

Lum Berry
Levitate
Timid
252Spatt, 252Spe, 4HP

-Calm Mind
-Psyshock
-Dragon Pulse
-Roost

Description: My offensive special wall. This guy scares me a bit because of the lack of coverage Dragon/Psychic has now, especially against megaMawile, megaGardevoir, and to a lesser extent Klefki. Nevertheless Latias has potential to sweep a weakened team after a couple CMs. The Lum Berry is there instead of the standard leftovers or life orb simply because this latias is EXTREMELY vulnerable to status given the lack of substitute, however Dragon no longer suffices as a mono-attacking set due to fairy's immunity. Latias is on the team in hopes of baiting tyranitar and band scizor to help me hit my opponent with a double switch or to bring lucario in after the pursuit kill to get a free SD set up and begin the real sweep. If by some magical event heatran and luc can kill my opponents fairy's and steals before I reveal Latias CM sweep will clean up late game for me especially with the longevity roost+lum berry offers

Last edited:
You might want to consider a build for Trevenant like this:

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 Def or SpD / 252 HP / 4 Def or SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic/Will-O-Wisp/Curse
- Horn Leech
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

This gives it a lot of utility as a chip away wall. Although I get where you're coming from with Starmie, this thing should be able to take it down slowly but surely. Yeah, it gets pretty messed up by Taunt, but without Taunt, this thing is pretty damn tough to take down, between recovery from Leech Seed/Horn Leech/Harvest Sitrus, as well as Substitute to block status moves. Often you'll force the switch as your foe gets slowly whittled away, and you just keep regaining health. Right now, your team is lacking an exceptionally strong physical wall, and I think this would fit the niche nicely.

Also, instead of Latias as an offensive special wall, have you thought about Goodra? Maybe something like:

Goodra @ Assault Vest/Leftovers
Ability: Gooey/Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 SDef / 4 HP / 252 SAtk
Gentle Nature
- Dragon Tail/Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Rest
- Substitute

Dragon Tail if you want to force the switch so that it can't be set up on effectively (not to mention extra hazard damage). Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse if you wanna go straight SpA attacker. Thunderbolt because biggest problem I see for you is Defog. A strong electric-type attack will help immensely, as the majority (not all, but the majority) of Defog users have an electric weakness. As for abilities, Gooey will make your opponent think twice before launching a physical attack on you, but Sap Sipper will let you eat Spore, Sleep Powder, etc, which can be very useful if you are able to switch into one.

All in all, though, a fairly solid team. The above is just my two cents, ideas you can play around with if you see fit.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Minor nitpick - have you considered evolving your Frogadier into a Greninja? You only need to get it to level 36.

I also support Sitrus Berry on Trevenant. If you get lucky with Harvest, you can eat one Sitrus Berry, Harvest another, then if you're still low on health eat that one on the same turn, which nets you more recovery than you'd get if Trevenant learned Recover. (It doesn't learn that though...)

loll soo fuckin difficult to learn these new mons names so thanks for the troll there arcticblast lol. My problem with the harvest/sitrus berry is what if it doesn't harvest then im SoL for the rest of the match, but i guess i could give it a go. I always like to have at least 1 pok whos status immune on my team to take thunderwaves and toxics. Goodra seems interesting I think I will try her out, Latias was there to cover a ground weakness and get some free switches for Lucario by luring dark moves but hey I like the suggestions and I will be happy to try them out. Curious as to why I should make Trev physical over special, looking at the poks he is there to counter, Starmie, Excadrill, Donphan, Tentacruel, Cyrogonal would it not be more beneficial to have SpD to stop the likes of starmie and tenta?

That is a good question, why not evolve Frogadier into Greninja? I only see it as a problem for something that can outspeed it before it changes its type with Protean for it's extra Dark typing. Scarfed Mienshao, I'm looking at you!

Arcticblast

is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
loll soo fuckin difficult to learn these new mons names so thanks for the troll there arcticblast lol.
My pleasure :D
My problem with the harvest/sitrus berry is what if it doesn't harvest then im SoL for the rest of the match, but i guess i could give it a go. I always like to have at least 1 pok whos status immune on my team to take thunderwaves and toxics.
While having a status immunity is really nice, Trevenant is easily able to pick up a Sitrus Berry at any time in the battle (unless it is removed by external means like Knock Off) and heal off any poison damage it may have picked up, and it's so slow it really doesn't care about Thunder Wave.
Curious as to why I should make Trev physical over special, looking at the poks he is there to counter, Starmie, Excadrill, Donphan, Tentacruel, Cyrogonal would it not be more beneficial to have SpD to stop the likes of starmie and tenta?
Trevenant has better resistances on the Special side (most of the attacks it resists are Special - Water, Grass, Electric, etc.), so to emphasize those (since Trev has slightly subpar bulk) specially defensive is the way to go.

My pleasure :D
While having a status immunity is really nice, Trevenant is easily able to pick up a Sitrus Berry at any time in the battle (unless it is removed by external means like Knock Off) and heal off any poison damage it may have picked up, and it's so slow it really doesn't care about Thunder Wave.Trevenant has better resistances on the Special side (most of the attacks it resists are Special - Water, Grass, Electric, etc.), so to emphasize those (since Trev has slightly subpar bulk) specially defensive is the way to go.
oh soo harvest isn't a 1 time only chance it has a chance anytime hes in the HP range to activate sitrus berry?

Arcticblast

Harvest is, last I remember, a 67% chance per turn to activate at the end of every turn.

also for Goodra @ assault Vest can't run rest or sub all moves have to be attacking =P
True. I was going to present an AV build, and a SpD Leftovers build. Then I realized I had to go to class and just said eff it halfway through the post and finished it up quickly... and then upon arriving to class, I found out it was cancelled. lol

But as mentioned, AV does not work with Substitute/Rest. So if you wanna go Assault Vest, you turn Goodra into a crazy defender with still good attack and excellent coverage (but no recovery). If you want to run leftovers, you can put Goodra into a more defensive wall role.

oh soo harvest isn't a 1 time only chance it has a chance anytime hes in the HP range to activate sitrus berry?
Correct, Trevenant can use it over... and over... and over... and over. Which turns him into a beastly wall.

Hey guys thanks alot for the help, especially harvest sitrus Trev, It is so damn hard to decide between will-o-wisp and toxic but i'm gonna go with toxic, I have yet to try curse tho but that should force tons more switches and will help with my entry hazards. anyway Harvest Trev is a fuckin boss and Assault Goodra runnin max hp and max SpA evs trucks when I need him to, Peaked at upper 1900's on the ladder gonna make the team ingame now, THANKS AGAIN!!!

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Taunt

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Careful Nature
- Horn Leech
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Substitute

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 6 SDef
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Crunch
- High Jump Kick

Donphan @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 6 Atk
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Head Smash
- Ice Shard
- Rapid Spin

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Mild Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor

Finally the last variation is the ability inner focus, I am using this over justified specifically for Togekiss. The last thing I need is to lose to some BS F#*&ING flinch hax when I am seconds away from sweeping a team, and with the new power in MegaEvolution I think that the Justified +1 bonus is slightly redundant
you do know that mega lucario doesn't keep the other lucarios ability right? I believe they all have adaptability as their ability after mega evolving, and you are more likely to switch into a dark move as regular lucario than you are to be flinched as regular lucario.

you do know that mega lucario doesn't keep the other lucarios ability right? I believe they all have adaptability as their ability after mega evolving, and you are more likely to switch into a dark move as regular lucario than you are to be flinched as regular lucario.
Yes Ik all abilities change to adaptability, I might try outthe justified but I'm just real nervous about flinch hax however low the chance may be

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)