Dark-types: Shedding some light on the matter.

erisia wrote the intro, i wrote errythang else. i indent everything wat do.
Dark-types

Introduction:
Dark-type Pokemon are a rarity in the tier, as the typing's excellent attributes have led to most Dark-types being relegated to the higher tiers. Providing an immunity to Psychic-type attacks, resistance to Ghost-type attacks, and a 50% increase in power to useful moves such as Sucker Punch and Pursuit, it is easy to see why the Dark-typing is so desirable, especially given the presence of powerful Psychic- and Ghost-type pokemon such as Gardevoir, Duosion and Misdreavus. Thankfully, there are still a few viable options left; Skuntank is excellent at abusing both its Dark-type STAB attacks and the immunity to Psychic-type attacks it provides. Meanwhile, Absol and Cacturne are deadly setup sweepers that make the most of Sucker Punch to compensate for their low speed, and Scraggy is a dark-horse that can potentially sweep entire teams if given the opportunity to set up.​

Murkrow:
Type: Dark / Flying
Base Stats: 60 HP / 85 Atk / 42 Def / 85 SpA / 42 SpD / 91 Spe
Abilities: Insomnia / Super Luck / Prankster​

In Pokemon Black and White, Murkrow gained Prankster from the Dream World. In addition, the advent of Eviolite bolsters Murkrow's otherwise poor bulk into acceptable levels. With these new traits, Murkrow can finally abuse its wide support movepool filled with goodies like Perish Song, FeatherDance, Taunt and so much more. Courtesy of Prankster, Murkrow also recieves +1 priority on its only recovery move: Roost. However, even with the introduction of Eviolite, Murkrow's bulk is still only mediocre and will sucumb to most strong attacks. While its typing grants Murkrow some great resistences and immunties like Psychic, Ground and Grass. It also packs a weakness to Rock-type moves (and thus Stealth Rock), who plague the tier in order to counter the other birds.​

• What sets can Murkrow use effectively?

Sneasel:
Type: Dark / Ice
Base Stats: 55 HP / 95 Atk / 55 Def / 35 SpA / 75 SpD / 115 Spe
Abilities: Inner Focus / Keen Eye / Pickpocket​

Boasting a superb base 115 speed stat, as well as a solid base 95 attack stat (which can be further boosted with Swords Dance or a Choice Band), in addition to having an excellent dual STAB, Sneasel makes a solid attacker. Sneasel packs an interesting movepool, with moves such as Ice Shard and Pursuit in its arsenal. Sneasel can effectively revenge kill Flying-types such as Braviary and Swellow and trap Psychic-types like Gardevoir and Musharna. While its dual STAB is resisted by Steel-types, Sneasel can use Brick Break / Low Kick in order to smash the most common Steel-types (who are also 4x weak to fighting), Probopass and Bastion. However, not all is fun and games for our weasel friend. Sneasel lacks a strong dark-type STAB, unlike its older brother Weavile. In addition, Sneasel packs a Stealth Rock weakness, limiting its ability to switch in a lot.​

• What sets can Sneasel use effectively?

Mightyena:
Type: Dark
Base Stats: 70 HP / 90 Atk / 70 Def / 60 SpA / 60 SpD / 70 Spe
Abilities: Intimidate / Quick Feet / Moxie​

Even down in NU, Mightyena faces still competition from other Dark-types in the tier, such as Absol and Cacturne. This is because Mightyena sports poor base stats, with its only stat above 80 being Attack. However, through the advent of Dream World, Mightyena gained Moxie. Even with this fantastic ability, Mightyena still struggles to differentiate itself with the other Dark-types in the tier. In addition to having poor stats, Mightyena also has a bad movepool, with only Dark-type moves, Normal-type moves and 2 of the 3 elemental fangs at its disposal.​

• What sets can Mightyena use effectively?

Shiftry:
Type: Grass / Dark
Base Stats: 90 HP / 100 Atk / 60 Def / 90 SpA / 60 SpD / 80 Spe
Abilities: Chlorophyll / Early Bird / Pickpocket​

Shiftry is an ideal sun sweeper with Chlorophyll, boasting modest 100 / 90 offensive stats (which can be further boosted by Swords Dance, Nasty Plot and even Growth) backed up by a nice 80 base speed. It can abuse these traits perfectly thanks to its movepool, filled with both physical and special moves such as Seed Bomb, Dark Pulse and Nature Power, it also packs strong priority in Sucker Punch. However, Shiftry's lack of raw power allows it to be easily walled, for example Tangela can easily wall its physical sets while Lickilicky can take on its special sets.​

• What sets can Shiftry use effectively?

Cacturne:
Type: Grass / Dark
Base Stats: 70 HP / 115 Atk / 60 Def / 115 SpA / 60 SpD / 55 Spe
Abilities: Sand Veil / Early Bird / Water Absorb​

Cacturne's usage has died a bit, but that doesn't make it bad. With great attacking stats and an excellent movepool, Cacturne can use a variety of sets effectively. Offensively, Cacturne can use both Swords Dance and Nasty Plot in order to bolster its base 115 attacking stats. Unfortunately, Cacturne has poor Speed, however Sucker Punch can somewhat mitigate this. Despite Cacturne's poor bulk, it has an interesting support but sparse movepool which it can somewhat use. Cacturne is one of the few viable Spike users in the tier, which with Sucker Punch allows Cacturne to beat the most common Rapid Spinner in the tier - Cryogonal. Cacturne also has Encore, but is however illegal with Water Absorb.​

• What sets can Cacturne use effectively?

Absol:
Type: Dark
Base Stats: 65 HP / 130 Atk / 60 Def / 75 SpA / 60 SpD / 75 Spe
Abilities: Pressure / Super Luck / Justified​

Meet NU's premier Dark-type, boasting a colossal base 130 Attack stat, an excellent boosting move in Swords Dance and an extremely powerful priority move in Sucker Punch; it's easy to see why the usage of Gurdurr and Quick Attack Swellow spiked. In addition, Absol can utilise Superpower in order to gain perfect coverage (sans Croagunk). Though unconventional, Absol can use Fire Blast and Hidden Power Grass to eliminate its usual checks - Tangela and Quagsire. Pursuit can also be used to trap troublesome Psychic- and Ghost-type Pokemon such Gardevoir, Musharna and Misdreavus.​

• What sets can Absol use effectively?

Skuntank:
Type: Poison / Dark
Base Stats: 103 HP / 93 Atk / 67 Def / 71 SpA / 61 SpD / 84 Spe
Abilities: Stench / Aftermath / Keen Eye​

Having problems with Psychic and Ghost-types such as Musharna, Haunter and Gardevoir? Skuntank's your guy. Thanks to its excellent typing, Skuntank boasts a resistence to Psychic and Ghost-type moves and a neutrality to Fighting-type moves and leaves it with a sole weakness to Ground-type moves. Together with Pursuit, Skuntank becomes NU's premier Pursuit user. Its Poison typing also allows Skuntank to absorb Toxic Spikes whenever it switches in. However, its lack of raw power and poor coverage means it cannot break bulky physical walls such as Golem, Probopass and Tangela. Though Skuntank can go mix in order to somewhat beat its usual checks.​

• What sets can Skuntank use effectively?

Scraggy:
Type: Dark / Fighting
Base Stats: 50 HP / 75 Atk / 70 Def / 35 SpA / 70 SpD / 48 Spe
Abilities: Shed Skin / Moxie / Intimidate​

Scraggy is an oddity among its fellow Dark-type brethren, with good defences courtesy of Eviolite. A good boosting move in Bulk Up and semi-reliable recovery in Drain Punch, Scraggy is an effective boosting tank. Scraggy also sports a fantastic dual STAB; hitting everything in the tier for neutral damage (sans Croagunk!). However, it isn't all fun and games for the little Lizard that could, Scraggy is somewhat weak without multiple boosts under its belt. While Dark / Fighting is great offensively, it also gives Scraggy some crippling weaknesses to common attacking types such as Flying and Fighting, who are commonly used by the likes of Braviary, Sawk and Gurdurr.​

• What sets can Scraggy use effectively?

Zweilous:
Type: Dark / Dragon
Base Stats: 72 HP / 85 Atk / 70 Def / 65 SpA / 70 SpD / 58 Spe
Abilities: Hustle​

With Zweilous's ability Hustle, Zweilous gains an Outrage thats power rivals Uber powerhouses Rayquaza and Zekrom. lol what else needs to be said

• What sets can Zweilous use effectively?

Discuss; I can't wait to see the discussion that comes out of this!​

Honourable mentions: Liepard, Pawniard

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Though unconventional, Absol can use Fire Blast and Hidden Power Grass to eliminate its usual checks - Tangela and Quagsire.
Besides me and even molk, is there someone that actually do this?.

I love utilizing Murkrow on weather teams, able to use Rain Dance and Sunny Day in combination with Damp/Heat rock respectively. Granted, while its defensives are severely lacking without Eviolite, guaranteed weather for 8 turns is very helpful!

Cacturne is a lot of fun to use, he can lay down spikes fairly easily and defeat the most common spinner with Sucker Punch.

Also mixed Absol is a legit set, I used HP Grass in my rmt and Fire blast also has its uses, though Tangela is a lot easier to lure out and defeat than quagsire.

Also <3 Scraggy. That mon scares me every time

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
With Zweilous's ability Hustle, Zweilous gains an Outrage thats power rivals Uber powerhouses Rayquaza and Zekrom. lol what else needs to be said
Zweilous' ruinous -20% accuracy ability should probably be said.

I would also explore the defensive Liepard set, as it can screw over defensive pokemon as well as provide excellent scouting in the form of fake-out. While it's still not the best (around, nobody's ever gonna keep you down), it has very interesting potential that I feel is worth mentioning.

FUCK SKUNTANK!

...that is all.

But in all seriousness, I would love to see what people can do with mightyena. As for the other things, i could care less if they get more usage, because everyone already knows they are great.

omg, scraggy is a truck. been using a bulk up one on my lickiSWAGela team (best core ever, i might add) and it is definately the driving offencive force on my stall/bulky offence team.

Mightyena just doesn't work right now- even with Moxie, it's plagued by poor speed and an otherwise average attack is bogged down by low powered moves. you need +3 to even guarantee a 2HKO with Ice Fang on Tangela (you can get by with +2 if you have Rocks up). Sucker Punch helps it out, but Gurdurr will wipe the floor with it and Quagsire couldn't care less.

One thing to point out about Sneasel is that it's 4x Fighting weakness means any Mach Punch makes it cry uncle from beyond the grave.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well finally... :p

Anyways, I'm really interested to see what Shiftry can do in this metagame. Obviously, it's a ludicrous threat in the Sun, but unlike its competition it can sweep with +2 Sucker Punch once the Sun fades away. Nature Power is always awesome, and while it doesn't get Horn Leech like Sawsbuck, its Giga Drain is suitably powerful for the job with a small amount of investment, and hits physically defensive targets such as Quagsire and Regirock harder.

Shiftry also looks quite interesting outside of Sun; a Substitute + 3 Attacks set with Giga Drain, Sucker Punch and Nature Power really screwed me over the other day. It's an effective anti-lead against Golem, as they have to decide either to attempt a KO with Rock Blast (which is an extremely slim possibility given each hit deals 18.94 - 22.67% from 252 Adamant Golem) or set up Stealth Rock, you can then Substitute + Nature Power to avoid any Sucker Punch shenanigans.

Either way, it managed to take out my Golem, Skuntank and Haunter with few problems.

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
:o
you did it!
Mixed Skuntank is actually my favourite set, sludge bomb/pursuit/sucker punch/hp grass just lures so much stuff. I can't remember the exact EVS, but it was max atk, something like 52 sp atk, but the leftover speed hit 244 speed, so yeah I'll look it up on my PO in a second. The 52 sp atk made it such that sludge bomb always killed tangela after rocks.

also fuck pawniard

also it's not murkow

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Scraggy​
Scraggy is amazingly good. It can set up on a magnitude of things and is actually capable of beating Quagsire one on one!!! Underestimate it at your own risk, but its great bulk, Bulk Up, Rest + Shed Skin, amazing coverage and typing, is what make it so good.
The best set is probably: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe, top tier Pokemon just can't stand up to it! Spe Evs let it set up on standard Golem and Vileplume much easier. Newest rising NU star Gardevoir stands no chance to this little titan!

Scraggy​
Scraggy is amazingly good. It can set up on a magnitude of things and is actually capable of beating Quagsire one on one!!! Underestimate it at your own risk, but its great bulk, Bulk Up, Rest + Shed Skin, amazing coverage and typing, is what make it so good.
The best set is probably: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe, top tier Pokemon just can't stand up to it! Spe Evs let it set up on standard Golem and Vileplume much easier. Newest rising NU star Gardevoir stands no chance to this little titan!
I've been using Scraggy after seeing Molk's rmt with great success. It's suprisingly easy to set up with this thing and Shed Skin is an amazing ability for it's purpose.

A poke I really need to try out is Cacturne. I've faced it a few times and boy, it is an absolute terror with a SD up.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Also mixed Absol is a legit set, I used HP Grass in my rmt and Fire blast also has its uses, though Tangela is a lot easier to lure out and defeat than quagsire.
More people should be using this set, it does everything your regular Absol does...okay not setting up SD but you don't need it as Absol still hits quite hard and get the chance to remove something else that could be annoying for a teammate with ease. And agreeing that HP Grass is the better option for NU because of what Raseri said.

Why is this set no on the analysiswhile shitty Choice Band one is? the Choice Band set even suggests fucking Sucker Punch and we all know how bad is to be locked on that move, and another random question, do the hp evs on the Absol sets on the analysis actually do something?lol

That's why we're rebooting the sets, trop. The moveset stats really contradict some of the analysis we have up, especially with Absol.

I posted this Murkrow set on here and PO ages ago. Seen a few people use it a while back but none in recent months.

Murkrow (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Roost
- Swagger
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave

This set aims to take advantage of offensive pokes. Its really quite simple, Swagger confused the opponent and raises their attack. Foul Play is a move which deals dark type damage based on your opponents attack stat. So while you have access to the priority confusion, it can backfire and result in a large chunk of your HP taken away. I've had some success using it on special attackers as often times they has a low-medium atk stat which you can abuse. T-Wave and Roost are pretty self explanatory. Further crippling and healing.

Speaking off Murkrow, people have to start using Mixed Murkrow more, he's kinda a bro. Personally I've never seen value in Heat Wave, since the tier's Steels take laughable damage from it, but Hidden Power Grass gets stuff done. And as a plus, it (for some odd reason) has constantly lured Tangela and 2HKoed pretty cleanly with Brave Bird (no, but seriously, Tangela isn't even a safe switch to his other sets, I don't get it .-.). Anywho, I've been running this:
Murkrow (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Super Luck
EVs: 240 Atk / 52 SAtk / 216 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
-Brave Bird
-Sucker Punch
-Hidden Power [Grass]
-Roost

Maybe it's just my illogical hatred of 4 / 252 / 252 spreads, but I found speed tying with other offensive Murkrow+Pidgeot to be a little ridiculous, so I just aimed for + Nature Rotom-A, though 244 might be better now that Kanga has been recognized as a good 'mon. I think the SAtk EVs were doing something along the lines of OHKOing 252 HP Golem after SR.

Dark-types are fantastic in NU. They fit well in Dark / Fighting / Psychic cores and are generally useful for Musharna. Musharna is very hard to break down without super strong choice users or Dark-types.

My favorite Dark-types are Skuntank and Cacturne. Mixed Skuntank is very good at breaking through walls despite its mediocre Attack stat. It's also an extremely reliable Psychic-type check with its brilliant typing and Sucker Punch is nice as well.

Cacturne is my favorite offensive Spikes user. It's heavily prediction dependent, but if you predict right, it's really worth it. Swords Dance + Spikes Cacturne is fun too, and I've surprised many people with it.

One Dark-type I'm interested in testing out is Zweilous. Zweilous has the potential to be a very effective tank, but Hustle sucks.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, offensive Murkrow is actually quite good. Part of it is the surprise factor, but it can really do some damage.

Murkrow @ Leftovers
Adamant
Prankster

-Brave Bird
-Pursuit
-Roost
-Thunder Wave

Brave Bird hits deceptively hard, and Pursuit is great for trapping Haunter and Gardevoir and stuff, because they never expect it. I threw Roost and Thunder Wave on because they're useful, and just like Thundurus, Murkrow can bring boosting sweepers to a grinding halt with Prankster Thunder Wave.

Been using offensive Murkrow and Cacturne for a while now. Cacturne is an absolute monster. Wow.
I would like to mention that Murkrow with a sub can be quite the threat. A Sub, Sucker Punch, BB and Roost set usually gets 2 kills a game.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here's a Zweilous set I've been thinking about for a while.

Zweilous
@ Eviolite
Trait: Hustle
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Outrage
- Crunch
- Rock Smash

Fire Fang does practically nothing in this metagame, so why bother. On the other hand, Rock Smash will always 2HKO Bastiodon and Probopass if it gets a Defense drop or there's hazard damage. Just Substitute up as they switch in, and finish them off with Rock Smash. Then haul ass with Outrage, I guess.

Zweilous is fantastic on a Trick Room team as well (which we all knew, since its stats practically scream "Trick Room"). Best of all with a Choice Band IMO. The power it gets out of its Outrage and Crunch with a Choice Band equipped borders on the ludicrous.

One thing I've toyed with on teams with a cleric is to have Rest as the fourth move. Not that I really end up using it particularily often (being banded and all), but Outrage/Crunch/Fire Fang gives all the coverage you need (although changing Fire Fang for Rock Smash is an interesting thought), and there might be situations (esp. if you're in against a bulky wall) you could get a free rest-up that might be more beneficial than just pushing that IKILLYOU-button (Outrage).

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
Ok so Skuntank is one of the best mons in the meta right now. Musharna has gotten really popular and Skuntank just shuts it down. Not to mention Skuntank shuts down most stall teams with Taunt and its great typing. Being able to absorb Toxic Spikes is amazing and it can hit nearly everything thing on stall either super effectively or neutrally bar Bastiodon/Probopass and other steels. Also being able to pretty much every bulky grass there is with Taunt and Poison Jab/Sludge Bomb is amazing. Definitely one of my favorite mons to use atm.

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
Yeah, Skuntank is on A LOT of teams lately. It also helps a lot against stuff like Adamant Samurott, who also got immensely common. Hell, it's so good that I always have to question myself whether to use HP Ground on Musharna over HP Bug/Fighting...

Absol fell in usage but it's still a really good Pokemon; I wish it got a bit more speed but it's just as destructive as ever.

I'm going to take a shot at this. Mightyena has terrible stats but if we're going to even attempt to use it, we may as look at what it had rather than just assuming it's terribad, and for my look I'm going to ignore Moxie, it's Dream World may boost it's attack by 1 stage per kill, but it's not worth it as it most likely is only hitting 1 at best.

Perhaps something like this would work for Mightyena.

Mightyena (F)
Intimidate
Jolly/Adamant
@Razor Fang/Life Orb
Astonish
Me First
Sucker Punch
Attract/Return/Rock Smash

The EV's I'm not sure of, and I'm disregarding the Elemental Fangs because Me First would probably be more usable as far as I can think. I just also wouldn't ever see a point to banding/scarfing Mightyena and it needs something that will give it a chance to not die to almost anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)