Pokémon Dipplin

Base Stats: 85 HP / 80 Attack / 110 Defense / 95 Special Attack / 80 Special Defense / 40 Speed (485)
Abilities:
Supersweet Syrup: A sickly sweet scent spreads across the field the first time the Pokémon enters a battle, lowering the evasiveness of opposing Pokémon.
Gluttony: The Pokémon will use a berry when its Hit Points are below 50%.
Sticky Hold (Hidden): This Pokémon’s item cannot be taken.

Signature Move:

Syrup Bomb
Power: 60
Accuracy: 85
PP: 10
Category: Special
Type: Grass
Effect: The user sets off an explosion of sticky candy syrup, which coats the target and causes the target's Speed stat to drop each turn for three turns.

Notable Moves:
Dragon Tail
Dragon Pulse
Recover
Energy Ball
Substitute
Leaf Storm
Draco Meteor
Tera Blast

Level-Up
Double Hit
Withdraw
Sweet Scent
Recycle
Astonish
Dragon Tail
Growth
Dragon Breath
Protect
Bullet Seed
Syrup Bomb
Dragon Pulse
Recover
Energy Ball
Substitute

Egg
Defense Curl
Rollout
Recycle
Sucker Punch

TM
Take Down
Protect
Bounce
Facade
Dragon Tail
Endure
Sunny Day
Bullet Seed
Body Slam
Sleep Talk
Seed Bomb
Reflect
Grass Knot
Rest
Substitute
Giga Drain
Dragon Pulse
Energy Ball
Pollen Puff
Grassy Terrain
Giga Impact
Outrage
Leaf Storm
Hyper Beam
Solar Beam
Draco Meteor
Tera Blast
Gyro Ball
Bug Bite
Grassy Glide

Pros:

- Don't let its base stats fool you. It's been discovered that Eviolite works on Dipplin, meaning it probably has an evolution coming in the next DLC. But keeping the discussion on Dipplin, Sticky Hold prevents its Eviolite from Knocked Off or tricked. On top of having access to Eviolite, its defenses are identical to Appletun's.

Cons:

- Same type combo as its evolutionary brethren, meaning it shares the same weaknesses.
- Despite having the same defenses as Appletun, its base HP is 30 points lower, which somewhat cuts down the extra bulk provided by Eviolite.
- It has neither Flapple's Hustle to bolster its offenses, or Appletun's Thick Fat to cover its weaknesses.

Tera Potential
: It's hard to go wrong with Steel on a defensive Pokemon, turning its 4x Ice weakness into a resistance and becoming immune to Toxic.
: Another good defensive type that's immune to Toxic
: Self-explanatory.

Potential Sets
Dipplin @ Eviolite
Ability: Sticky Hold
Tera Type: Steel / Poison / Dragon
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Special Defense
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Seed Bomb
- Recover
- Gyro Ball

Last edited:
Yeah, I was ready to write this mon off as Garbage compared to appletun since appletun's stats are slightly better distributed and it has better moves like Leech Seed and Apple Acid. However, the fact this mon can use the Eviolite and bypasses the main weakness of Eviolite users with Sticky Hold is really interesting. All that said, I think Appletun's Thick Fat ability and Leech Seed / Apple Acid Access will make it a better choice in the lower tiers. This mon gets recover which is really good, but does not have many options for Utility moves barring Infestation and Dragon Tail and also lacks any boosting Moves. If this mon had Calm mind, that would have been enough to move it up at least 1-2 tiers but unfortunately not the case.

The set listed here or going a bulky attacker route with Recover / Energy Ball / Dragon Pulse / Filler seems the best way to go. Despite the Eviolite bulk, I'm unsure how useful such a set will be in the lower tiers, let alone OU since its utility is very limited. I see this Pokemon being significantly better in VGC due to its signature move and stat drops being more important there.

Base Stats: 85 HP / 80 Attack / 110 Defense / 95 Special Attack / 80 Special Defense / 40 Speed (485)
Abilities:
Supersweet Syrup: A sickly sweet scent spreads across the field the first time the Pokémon enters a battle, lowering the evasiveness of opposing Pokémon.
Gluttony: The Pokémon will use a berry when its Hit Points are below 50%.
Sticky Hold (Hidden): This Pokémon’s item cannot be taken.

Signature Move:

Syrup Bomb
Power: 60
Accuracy: 85
PP: 10
Category: Special
Type: Grass
Effect: The user sets off an explosion of sticky candy syrup, which coats the target and causes the target's Speed stat to drop each turn for three turns.

Notable Moves:
Dragon Tail
Dragon Pulse
Recover
Energy Ball
Substitute
Leaf Storm
Draco Meteor
Tera Blast

Level-Up
Double Hit
Withdraw
Sweet Scent
Recycle
Astonish
Dragon Tail
Growth
Dragon Breath
Protect
Bullet Seed
Syrup Bomb
Dragon Pulse
Recover
Energy Ball
Substitute

Egg
Defense Curl
Rollout
Recycle
Sucker Punch

TM
Take Down
Protect
Bounce
Facade
Dragon Tail
Endure
Sunny Day
Bullet Seed
Body Slam
Sleep Talk
Seed Bomb
Reflect
Grass Knot
Rest
Substitute
Giga Drain
Dragon Pulse
Energy Ball
Pollen Puff
Grassy Terrain
Giga Impact
Outrage
Leaf Storm
Hyper Beam
Solar Beam
Draco Meteor
Tera Blast
Gyro Ball
Bug Bite
Grassy Glide

Pros:

- Don't let its base stats fool you. It's been discovered that Eviolite works on Dipplin, meaning it probably has an evolution coming in the next DLC. But keeping the discussion on Dipplin, Sticky Hold prevents its Eviolite from Knocked Off or tricked. On top of having access to Eviolite, its defenses are identical to Appletun's.

Cons:

- Same type combo as its evolutionary brethren, meaning it shares the same weaknesses.
- Despite having the same defenses as Appletun, its base HP is 30 points lower, which somewhat cuts down the extra bulk provided by Eviolite.
- It has neither Flapple's Hustle to bolster its offenses, or Appletun's Thick Fat to cover its weaknesses.

Tera Potential
: It's hard to go wrong with Steel on a defensive Pokemon, turning its 4x Ice weakness into a resistance and becoming immune to Toxic.
: Another good defensive type that's immune to Toxic
: Self-explanatory.

Potential Sets
Dipplin @ Eviolite
Tera Type: Steel / Poison / Dragon
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Special Defense
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Seed Bomb
- Recover
- Gyro Ball
I've kinda gone for a Relaxed nature, given the low Speed stat. Just breeding some Applin eggs in preparation so who knows?! Maybe I'll breed an Impish Applin as well. Cheers!

Immune to Knock Off and with a phys def spread has functionally 80 / 190 / 129 bulk. It's a shame the movepool is trash (it's the only one of its apple brothers to not get Leech Seed!).

On the set in the OP Relaxed with 0 speed IV is better for Gyro Ball. Draco Meteor is also worth mentioning for the raw damage output to dent whatever you're trying to wall.

Maybe i'm just not upto scratch on tactics but is it wise to build physical on a Special Attacker?

I'm currently looking at..

Dipplin @ Eviolite
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Syrup Bomb
- Pollen Puff

This is the set right here guys

Dipplin
252 Hp ,252 Sp Atk, 4 Def
Modest Nature

Item:Eviolite
Syrup Bomb
Infestation
Recover
Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse/Dragon Tail/Energy Ball

Tera:Water/Steel/Poison/Dragon/Fire

OK so I know what you're thinking "why are you investing special attack into mon built for bulk"
and"it only has 95 Sp Atk"

Well it's bulk is still excellent and recover heals off damage for a bit so the main focus is using syrup bomb on fast pokemon or grass weak Mons to Force switches. Infestation to wear down Mons that don't do much damage or are unable to attack/stall with moves like leech seed Spore or toxic. Draco Meteor one hit kos walking wake and syrup bomb almost one hit kos Offensive Great Tusk. However if you choose energy ball it's a one hit ko guarantee!

As for Tera types water and fire uno Reverse ice weakness while poison and steel make you immune to toxic and steel resists ice,dragon,fairy, and immune to poison.

The Offensive set has made many players rage quit in my online battles because syrup bomb puts on the pressure while doing good damage and Draco Meteor catches them off guard or keeps them on their toes while I recover hp.

Please consider this set online atleast in lower tiers later on. And dont comment telling me to use defensive this is the set I posted so if you don't have anything to make it better don't comment

Dragon Breath + Body Slam + Recover + whatever ( Dragon Tail or Grass STAB) look like the best set for this. It won,t be breaking anything, but it can paralyze in the long term... unless Gliscor and Zapdos come, of course. Its pretty bad.

Dipplin
Modest Nature

Syrup Bomb
Infestation
Recover

OK so I know what you're thinking "why are you investing special attack into mon built for bulk"

Well it's bulk is still excellent and recover heals off damage for a bit so the main focus is using syrup bomb on fast pokemon or grass weak Mons to Force switches. Infestation to wear down Mons that don't do much damage or are unable to attack/stall with moves like leech seed Spore or toxic. Draco Meteor one hit kos walking wake and syrup bomb almost one hit kos Offensive Great Tusk. However if you choose energy ball it's a one hit ko guarantee!

As for Tera types water and fire uno Reverse ice weakness while poison and steel make you immune to toxic and steel resists ice,dragon,fairy, and immune to poison.

The Offensive set has made many players rage quit in my online battles because syrup bomb puts on the pressure while doing good damage and Draco Meteor catches them off guard or keeps them on their toes while I recover hp.

Please consider this set online atleast in lower tiers later on. And dont comment telling me to use defensive this is the set I posted so if you don't have anything to make it better don't comment
Funnily enough I considered a Modest Nature as well. Kinda forgot in the end that I wouldn't need to invest EVs into Speed and go for HP like you did.

Immune to Knock Off
Interesting way to say "always hit by the stronger version of Knock Off instead of just once". Better make that item really worth it if you use Sticky Hold.

Whereas Flapple is the offensive Applin evo and Appletun is the defensive Applin evo, Dipplin is the doubles Applin evo. It's as simple as that. Evasion-lowering Ability, incredible Speed control signature move, solid bulk, access to Pollen Puff, even the TR-friendly Speed tier - it's just a mon meant for doubles. It's no wonder if it performs much more poorly in singles.

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
Interesting way to say "always hit by the stronger version of Knock Off instead of just once". Better make that item really worth it if you use Sticky Hold.
This is entirely a non-issue- you take 50% more from Knock Off for keeping Eviolite, but that Eviolite makes you 50% bulkier so it just cancels out, and against every other single attack in the game you take 50% less

Let’s not ignore the elephant in the room. Eviolite working for Dipplin is a big deal, but it’s extremely likely that this is unintended/erroneous, and will get patched out soon. Eviolite working makes it mandatory, as it’d be foolish to run anything else on Dipplin.

Singles: Eviolite is the only way Dipplin has enough bulk to be relevant in a low tier. Without eviolite, this thing is going straight to the depths of NU/PU in singles. As others have pointed out, it gets outclassed by Appletun (in singles, sans eviolite).

Doubles: Dipplin is basically optimized as a support for doubles, and access to eviolite does not change the types of roles/strats/comps you’d want to use it for. If you want to abuse its syrup bomb, supersweet syrup, pollen puff etc combination, eviolite changes nothing except how reliably it does its job.

Last edited:

Dipplin
Modest Nature

Syrup Bomb
Infestation
Recover

Dragon Tail really wouldnt be an option if you're running Infestation right? Especially with Syrup Bomb, you'll want to keep them as the active pokemon.

Let’s not ignore the elephant in the room. Eviolite working for Dipplin is a big deal, but it’s extremely likely that this is unintended/erroneous, and will get patched out soon. Eviolite working makes it mandatory, as it’d be foolish to run anything else on Dipplin.
It’s not an error; it has “can evolve” parameters that are just scrubbed like Stantler and Ursaring. In this case, it’s more like a DLC spoiler.

Wih Bax banned, there is one less Mon capable of OHKOing this, yay! Unfortunately, he didn,t get one more move :eeveehide:

Reactions: Eve
It’s not an error; it has “can evolve” parameters that are just scrubbed like Stantler and Ursaring. In this case, it’s more like a DLC spoiler.
If eviolite compatibility is a DLC spoiler, it’s possible it’ll get patched out soon, and reintroduced in winter when its evolution is formally released. Either way, I argue that Dipplin’s viability in the next few months is extra volatile due to this uncertainty.

pog bax is gone now i can use this

Dipplin @ Eviolite
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Dragon Tail

dipplin has a surprisingly decent defensive profile with three 4x resists, an unremovable eviolite, and recover. 95 spa isnt great, but draco still chips neutral + weak targets for good damage, while giga is useful for waters like hamurott and manaphy. dragon tail is also useful for phazing out setup sweepers. tera steel completely flips its weaknesses and resists, but tera water might be good vs rain while also blocking its ice weakness.

This mon gets recover which is really good, but does not have many options for Utility moves barring Infestation and Dragon Tail and also lacks any boosting Moves. If this mon had Calm mind, that would have been enough to move it up at least 1-2 tiers but unfortunately not the case.
For what it's worth, it DOES get growth, so it might be able to do some work on a sun team in lower tiers with Ninetails once they drop.
You could probably do a mixed set of some sort with growth gyro ball and a special move (probably giga drain for more longevity), invested in defensive stats with recover.

I really wish they had given it some kind of chip damage move - whether toxic or leech seed, or something new. Infestation is such a weak option for chip, and it's so uniquely positioned as an eviolite tank that can't get knocked effectively thanks to sticky hold.

That's not how Knock Off and Sticky Hold interact. Much like Mega Stones and other form changing items, if the item cannot be knocked off (because Sticky Hold) Knock Off doesn't get its power boosted.
Knock Off never gets boosted against a Sticky Hold target unless the user has Mold Breaker or one of its clones.

That's not how Knock Off and Sticky Hold interact. Much like Mega Stones and other form changing items, if the item cannot be knocked off (because Sticky Hold) Knock Off doesn't get its power boosted.

Knock Off never gets boosted against a Sticky Hold target unless the user has Mold Breaker or one of its clones.
This is not entirely correct. Knock off still does bonus damage to Sticky Hold users. You're right about Mega Stones, but it's not equivalent. From Bulbapedia, here's a screenshot describing the interactions:

Screenshot_20230919-132558.png

EDIT: Woah, posted from mobile and that image was HUGE. Fixed that.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)