Do you think Video Games are art?

IMO, i think that games is technology and art combining together to make something...unique and beautiful.

The art, to me, are the small details like the heat waves coming off Samus's blaster when you just got out of a firefight in Metroid Prime. The art is also in the soundtrack too. It takes time to compose a song, but it sounds just beautiful if done right. Whenever I think of a soundtrack that goes good with the game, I always think of the Wind Waker because the soundtrack suits every moment perfectly. Scenery is also a work of art just because it can be so breath-taking for the first time.

If you blend all these masterpieces together, it becomes something that people will enjoy it somewhat like a well done movie.

videogames are art, but most are to some extent. Say Rachet&Clank, you customize what weapons you use but the weapons are pre-made. There are some games that ar art because of beautiful music, animations and most importantly customization. Customization is the most important part, if we get to choose something we make it how we want. When you paint do you want to copy something or make something different. True there is a type of art were you copy other people's work, but you also customize it. So some videogames are art, but in opinion most aren't.

I feel that the artistic potential of a video game can go beyond even simply an excellent story and beautiful graphics. A video game that is truly art isn't something that necessarily excels in all of these areas but rather combines them together to create an experience in the mind of the person playing the game.

In a way, per se. lolol rhyme.
I mean, designing the characters, scenarios, music, and plot are all types of art, writing included. It takes a lot of skill to not make a game suck, because imo, most do. I'm so optimistic.

Playing videogames, not so much.

I was going to mention shadow of the collossus, but surgo beat me to it. Of course vg's can be considered artistic, but (unfortunately) many developers don't always make sure their games are as artistic as possible...

a lot of rpg's, like final fantasy games for example, illustrate the art of storytelling, which is kind of like writing/poetry

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
IMO, Chrono Trigger is one of the most amazing examples of art for its time. Honestly, the graphics in that game were amazing considering that they had to be pixelated. Pixelated scenery that actually looks like what it's trying to portray is awesome. :P However, the best part about that game was the music. The music in that game still rivals some of the video game soundtracks of today. That's an awesome example of art.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
consider braid: a great storyline, beautiful graphics, enthralling gameplay, a lovely soundtrack. it's art.

The production costs of modern games, along with their first weekend sales, are now regularly outstripping blockbuster movies.

If movies are art, so are these.

Yes definitely. I really don't see why not. A good RPG for example is a great interactive novel. I wonder, in decades time, would we have art exhibits with video games being displayed? It will probably happen too.

IMO, Chrono Trigger is one of the most amazing examples of art for its time. Honestly, the graphics in that game were amazing considering that they had to be pixelated. Pixelated scenery that actually looks like what it's trying to portray is awesome. :P However, the best part about that game was the music. The music in that game still rivals some of the video game soundtracks of today. That's an awesome example of art.
Gato says YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

Do I think video games are art? Yes. As evidence to back up my claim that video games are art, I present this (though some of the games there are more obviously artistic than others).

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I really did not see what other people saw in Braid. The story was shoehorned in and was pretty awful anyway. The graphics were decent compared to other indy games. The music wasn't made for the game and it's not very good even on its own, and yes, I do have discerning tastes when it comes to classical music, I don't just dislike the genre. Then the gameplay is really good sometimes and really annoying some other times, like when it reuses levels just with different mechanics. Some of the mechanics just weren't very fun anyway.

I don't say all this to flame, but because it helps my ultimate point. I may dislike Braid, but it is art. The greatest example of art video games have to offer? God no. Roger Ebert actually reevaluated his stance on video games by looking at Braid and Flower and I don't totally blame him for not changing his mind.

Video games as art is simple fact, any opinion to the contrary must be one born of ignorance. I have stories to tell and emotions to express that I cannot without making video games. With my limited experience in general game production, I am not whole.

I cry at the end of Okami, every time I play it. According to Stephen Spielberg, that makes games art.

Who cares what other people want to call it, if you think it's art then it's art. It's not like I cared when Ebert said videogames could never be art, although saying never was pretty stupid.

Define "art".

One definition I've come across is that art is something that has no function, that exists for its own sake. By that definition, games are not art, since they have a function - to be playable. Similarly vehicles, buildings, and board games are not art. (Whether "to make money" counts as a function, therefore excluding most modern film and music, I don't know, I think only if the artist has considered the money motive to a great extent when working.)

A question I ask: If games are not art, does it make any difference? The question "are video games art" carries with it the implicit assumption that "art" is better than "not art".

Define "art".

One definition I've come across is that art is something that has no function, that exists for its own sake. By that definition, games are not art, since they have a function - to be playable. Similarly vehicles, buildings, and board games are not art.
Paintings and sculptures were made to be seen. Music was made to be heard. By the definition you're using, paintings, sculptures and music are not art. In fact, by that definition, I don't think man-made art can exist because all man-made things have a function.

Cantab has an interesting point though, many paintings and musical compositions are created as a ways of expressing the artists views on something, or their emotions. You have to wonder how many video game designers there are that say

"I'm so sad, I think I'll make a video game about it."

I dont really like anything being described as art. Not even art.
I love you.

Which is strange seeing as how I'm an 'artist' and do pretty much nothing but write music and draw, but I think trying to classify something as 'art' just... really takes any of the real artistry out of it.

Like if someone called their band art-rock it's like... no, you're not ART-ROCK, you're just trying to sound fancy and intelligent. Your music sucks.

Etc.

Edit: But as it stand's, I'd say Legend of Zelda's 'artistic merit' is on par with any album or comic book or painting you can throw at me.

Odds are the games that are almost certainly art by the layman's standards are incredibly obscure. Some people find out about these games while most people only see the mainstream ones. Hence, this discussion.

And I think I'm gonna have to stop myself here before I delve deep into shit that I don't know shit about.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Odds are the games that are almost certainly art by the layman's standards are incredibly obscure. Some people find out about these games while most people only see the mainstream ones. Hence, this discussion.
That's because even most gamers can't comprehend the idea of a game being art unless it is art by the standards of other art. Does it look artistic (paintings), sound artistic (music), is it a good story (books), is it cinematic (movies)? Even Roger Ebert knew this was bullshit, he said that Flower wasn't art on the basis that he could barely even tell that it was a game. Which makes him seem even more ignorant, a man who doesn't know what gameplay is judging games by it. But he's ultimately right. Gameplay and design need to have artistic merit on their own for games to be considered art. But as a man who knows a hell of alot more about game design than Ebert, they do have artistic merit. They have for a long time.

I haven't read the rest of the thread, but there was a raging debate about this due to Roger Ebert arguing that video games could not be art on principle. However, he has since retracted that statement because he couldn't define art. I'm sorry that I didn't provide links, because I haven't read all the articles on this subject and I'm pressed for time right now, but it shouldn't be TOO hard to find.

My opinion is simply that something is art if it intentionally reveals something about life to the beholder.

One approach might be look at a lot of what current art is, and look for games that are analogous. Basically a lot of today's art is about being weird, about doing stuff that hasn't been done before and that's not at all mainstream.

Thinking from there, I reckon IdleRPG is art. It totally turns the RPG genre on its head, and indeed gaming in general - in other games you win by doing something, in IdleRPG you win by doing nothing. It seems at least as deserving of being called art as 4'33" or a solid black painting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)