DOU Community Create-a-Team! Slot #5 DISCUSSIN'

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
┬┴┬┴┤DOU Community Create-a-Team!├┬┴┬┴

Approved by DOU subforum mods ages ago but apparently I kept forgetting

Teambuilding is one of the fundamental skills in competitive Pokemon battling. With good teambuilding, one can possibly gain advantages in play and prevent any exploitable disadvantages by game start. While playmaking can win games on its own, teambuilding is an important facet of the game that also needs to be mastered if you want to be considered one of the best.

However, there are certain things you have to take into account when teambuilding. If you don't know what to prepare for in this metagame, don't know what reasonable sets are, or don't employ a certain kind of mindset or thought process while building, you're probably going to have a bad time. Metagame knowledge and the right mentality while building is key to teambuilding. In this project, we're going to pool our thoughts and ideas in a collective teambuild in order to, hopefully, build a good team to use in the metagame :)!

Rules and Guidelines!
  1. There will be two (2) phases: the Discussion Phase and the Voting Phase. During the Discussion Phase, discussion about the team and possible members can be made and you guys can post your entries for possible Pokemon. During the Voting Phase, you guys will vote for the nomination you guys believe will fit the teamslot the best. The S&B Phase will span three (3) days while the Voting Phase, one (1).
  2. When making entries (once they're needed), post the importable of the set you're nominating and a brief write-up explaining its validity to the team. The write-up doesn't have to be long; it just needs to explain the moveset and EV spreads (if needed), how it works, and why it's useful to the team. Please indicate that you're making a submission as it could get lost among the discussion! Having sprites is also encouraged, as well as having nicknames for the sets to have your own individual mark on the team!
  3. On the part where we post the actual sets, don't slash anything in your entries! "Anything" includes EVs, nature, item, and moves. This only makes it difficult when voting. If you can't read and slash something anyway, I'll only consider the first slash if it actually gets passed on to the build.
  4. Please go easy on the gimmicks :(. There's a certain line that we have to make when it comes to submitting weird shit. Calm Mind Mega Latias might be a good idea, while something like Special Mega Kangaskhan is not. Please think a bit when you're submitting something weird lol.
  5. When suggesting sets, each user can only have one entry! Feel free to make suggestions on the nominations of others, though. As this is a community build, peer suggestions are and should be welcomed :)!
The Team!

Starting Point by deoxys speed lol

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Taunt
- Protect

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Icy Wind
- Protect

Gard benefits from gengar burning things, kangaskhan mostly and likes icy wind support. There are a lot of slashes lol, gengar has to choose between 6 different moves and gardevoir's 3rd slot has several options as well depends on the rest of the team tbh. Gardevoir's speed can be changed to out speed things after an icy wind and maybe taking a sucker punch from bisharp but out speeding hydreigon is cool.

Note: There will be a phase at the end dedicated to tweaking the whole team in order to be more effective and efficient. In this stage, we can edit some small stuff like EVs and moves (such as Wisp vs Tailwind on Talonflame or Taunt vs Quick Guard on Keldeo) so don't worry about your entry if it uses some can-go-either-way moves or inefficient items!

Slot #3 by Roxer

Zapdos @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Pressure
Modest Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 144 SpA / 112 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind

Zapdos does the same as Bulky Thundurus, provides speed control and BoltBeam coverage, however, Thundurus is simply not bulky enough to run that set anymore and is, in my opinion, better off with an offensive set. Because of that, when looking for a bulky electric zapdos should be the optimal choice. While Tailwind doesn't make your opponent want to click X, it allows our Pokemon to outspeed Ground types, it's also a field condition boosting everyone in your team and not concentrating the speed control on a single pokemon, which in my opinion is more beneficial in our case. The set is standard by all means, Safety Goggles allows us to ignore powder moves and residual damage and Tailwind provides speed control, whilst my offensive moves provide Solid coverage.
But ok, why do I have Heat Wave and not Roost? Simply put, it's to lure in Grass types that switch into Thunderbolt, it also does a good job of scaring troublesome Steels such as Mega Metagross and >>>Bisharp<<<. This would also solve our Ferrothorn problem that I mentioned in the hide tag, as Zapdos can switch into any of its moves and OHKO back unexpectedly. This will also do upwards do 90% to Venusaur in Sun, and Amoonguss takes a good chunk >35%~ , putting it guranteedely in range for Mega Gard Psyshock.
Adding to all of that, Zapdos would give us another option for the obviously coming Landorus-Therian to spam EQ beside, it's also a damn fine switch-in to it as it can take 3 Rock Slides while investing into offense, thing Bulky Thundurus cannot do.

Note: There will be a phase at the end dedicated to tweaking the whole team in order to be more effective and efficient. and giving the Pokemon without sets, um, sets. In this stage, we can edit some small stuff like EVs and moves (such as Wisp vs Tailwind on Talonflame or Taunt vs Quick Guard on Keldeo) so don't worry about your entry if it uses some can-go-either-way moves or inefficient items!

Slot #4

That's all guys! Have fun!

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Team Starting Point!

For this week, we'll be talking about the starting point of the team. Basically, in this part of the build, we pick whatever we want since starting a teambuild is pretty much more of an "I want to build around this / these" kind of feeling. Submissions are either a single Pokemon or a 2-mon core. This week is the only part where we can submit 2-mon cores! Again, as a reminder please indicate when you're making a submission as it might get lost in discussion!

Deadline is on Friday GMT, Noon :)!

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Submission:
Volcarona @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance
- Heat Wave
- Protect

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Quash
- Fake Out
- Foul Play

sableye makes it easier for volcarona to set up. I guess it's a nifty core, I (luckily) don't see Sableye being used much so maybe we could try to build around it for once.

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus

Gallade-Mega (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt

Gallade is a really cool Pokemon in Doubles that everybody hates. Gallade is a cool Trick Room answer because it's immune to Fake Out and can just Taunt the fat blob using it. It offers support with Quick Guard, Wide Guard, or Feint, and is overall a really cool option. Close Combat and Zen Headbutt are obligatory STABs.

Last edited:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Jilachi (Jirachi) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 56 SpD / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Follow Me
- Sunny Day

Jirachi supports Zard X really well with flinch, icy wind, and sun, and Zard X is supa strong. EV spread for Jirachi outspeeds Breloom and survives a Talonflame Flare Blitz, and Charizard's spread is a simple 252/252 (which I believe to be more effective that the smogdex spread). This is a pair that I've used a little bit recently and I've had fun with it so I recommend others give it a try. It's just the right mix of effective and creative.

Last edited:

HEIL OBAMA (Abomasnow-Mega) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 184 SpA / 4 Spe
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Blizzard
- Giga Drain
- Ice Shard
- Protect

Mitochondria (Manaphy) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Blizzard
- Tail Glow
- Protect
Aboma + Manaphy is a cool hail core, Manaphy gets Tail Glow to turn itself into a powerfull attacker with cool base speed. As for aboma, it's actually really strong and can nab some kills when it needs, it also gets priority, which is nice.
I like this core because its very flexible in teambuilding, you can go TR, Bulky Offense or Hyper Offense if you have enough swag.
However, the core has a looot of flaws, which i think would be cool for the community to work around

Machamp (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 Def
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Ice Punch
- Wide Guard
- Protect

First submission, best chance to get creative stuff in. Machamp has hard competition with Conkeldurr and Scrafty, which to me is the main reason it isn't used more often. Dynamic Punch hits harder than support Conk's drain punch, though the main draw here is spamming Confusion. Running Adamant instead of Brave to allow stuff like Landog and maero on the team, rock slide + confusion = instawin as we all know. Para support could be a nice touch for parafusion if a slider doesn't make it on the team (or maybe even with, if we use LO landog), and unlike icy wind + tailwind can actually set the mon down below machamp's speed tier first turn. Wide Guard so you turn opposing landogs from an answer into a liability, + general utility. Stone Edge misses anyways, and if you're running Knock Off might as well use Scrafty.

edit: I didn't choose machamp just becuase cancer lol, I legitimately find it an interesting option that I want to see explored. honestly, the confusion can just be used as a measure to gain free turns, don't think of it as "lol let me hax the opponent as much as possible". I know I mentioned pairing it with a flinch source, but that's only talking about potential, saying that it's a possible option if there's no other place to turn to. Trust me, if I wanted to go with cancer, I'd have gone with Scarf Serene Grace Blissey. At least Machamp can do stuff without confusion.

Actually, scratch that. I don't want to risk having this CCaT end up like the last one.

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

Abomasnow (F) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Blizzard
- Energy Ball
- Ice Shard
- Protect

Fast, strong attacker with the ability to hit most TR setters, and gets complimentary boltbeam coverage to help it out. Abomasnow sets up Hail to allow Darkrai to spam fast, powerful Blizzards, and to allow this team to potentially evolve into a Blizzspam team, an archetype that honestly intrigues me a little bit, albeit looking a little gimmicky. Leaving the mega open so you can use kang or diancie, both of which could work out.

Edit: don't mind me, just forgetting the obvious

Last edited:

Tsundre (Suicune) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 112 SpA / 24 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Snarl
- Tailwind

Hooplah (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 148 SpA / 100 Spe
Mild Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Gunk Shot
- Protect

Swoopa has become one of my favorite ways to make Hoopa usable in this meta. Suicune is a very reliable tailwind setter which Hoopa greatly appreciates, and it can utilize a good support movepool such as scald and snarl to weaken the opponent's ability to take Hoopa out. The Suicune set is pretty standard, running enough speed outrun adamant Landog under tailwind. I opted not to run protect because it's suffers from 4 move syndrome and, like Cresselia, I feel it's bulky enough that it just doesn't need it. The Hoopa set outspeeds Venusaur under tailwind and by extension adamant Landog. The 8 HP EV's let it survive moonblast from Diancie 100% of the time as long as you run mild instead of rash, which isn't that big of a deal because Hoopa doesnt survive many physical hits anyway.

thinkin

Banned deucer.

Hitmontop @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 60 Def / 60 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Wide Guard
- Feint

feint + fake out really limits opponents options, its super good vs trash players/teams since it gives you so much control over the game you dont have to worry about them making a dumb prections, you just do your own thing.

I didn't choose machamp just becuase cancer lol, I legitimately find it an interesting option that I want to see explored. honestly, the confusion can just be used as a measure to gain free turns, don't think of it as "lol let me hax the opponent as much as possible". I know I mentioned pairing it with a flinch source, but that's only talking about potential, saying that it's a possible option if there's no other place to turn to. Trust me, if I wanted to go with cancer, I'd have gone with Scarf Serene Grace Blissey. At least Machamp can do stuff without confusion.
It can do stuff like be worse than Conkeldurr you mean to say
Gyarados @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Tail
- Double-Edge
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Or some better variant than this. I like Aqua Tail because of the power and since using totem's deo-s team all I can put on Gyarados for coverage is Double-Edge.

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Taunt
- Protect

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Icy Wind
- Protect

Gard benefits from gengar burning things, kangaskhan mostly and likes icy wind support. There are a lot of slashes lol, gengar has to choose between 6 different moves and gardevoir's 3rd slot has several options as well depends on the rest of the team tbh. Gardevoir's speed can be changed to out speed things after an icy wind and maybe taking a sucker punch from bisharp but out speeding hydreigon is cool.

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader

Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Flash Cannon
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magician
EVs: 136 Atk / 120 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Gunk Shot
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Luke does a lot of damage and deals with diancie kang bish, Hoopa does a lot of damage and deals with lando keld aegi. Both mons have a bunch of coverage options, and Hoopa might be switched to lo if the speed isn't necessary. You'd need tflame checks, but it's a pretty fun core imo.

Pastelle

we're all star stuff

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 88 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Raichu @ Air Balloon
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Nuzzle
- Volt Switch
- Encore

Sun is hot, figuratively and literally, while Raichu is shockingly fun to use. It's a neat disrupter with Fake Out and Encore, and good support in Nuzzle. Plus with Lightning Rod, it pairs well with Thunderbolt allergic Mega Charizard Y. The Charizard set is the standard bulky spread, with HP Ground to mess with Heatran. Doubles crew, I think its time we built a fun, hyper offensive sun team combining the standard with the niche.

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Psycho Boost
- Protect

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Protect
- Quick Guard

fantastic speed, destructive offense, mixed types of attacks, and devastating coverage. deoxys outspeeds and nukes most of what comes in, psycho boost takes lives. superpower is nice to hit a heatran, a ferrothorn, a kangashkan and such. knock off is actually helpful vs aegislash, latios, metagross, which are 3 of the top 4 pokemon that trouble this core alongside talonflame. keldeo here beats kangaskhan, its quick guard stops talonflame and fake outs, protecting my frail deoxys-attack. hydro pump and secret sword already crush so much. i doubt there are many (used) things besides a cresselia, or well perhaps a spdef sylveon, which would tank double targeting from this. and it only needs a strong dark type to secure coverage later on

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 44 HP / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Parental Bond
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Frustration
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch

two very underrated mons in the curent omega rubin alpha saphir doubles overused metagame

Last edited:

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor

Machamp (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 52 Def
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Ice Punch
- Wide Guard
- Protect

First submission, best chance to get creative stuff in. Machamp has hard competition with Conkeldurr and Scrafty, which to me is the main reason it isn't used more often. Dynamic Punch hits harder than support Conk's drain punch, though the main draw here is spamming Confusion. Running Adamant instead of Brave to allow stuff like Landog and maero on the team, rock slide + confusion = instawin as we all know. Para support could be a nice touch for parafusion if a slider doesn't make it on the team (or maybe even with, if we use LO landog), and unlike icy wind + tailwind can actually set the mon down below machamp's speed tier first turn. Wide Guard so you turn opposing landogs from an answer into a liability, + general utility. Stone Edge misses anyways, and if you're running Knock Off might as well use Scrafty.

edit: I didn't choose machamp just becuase cancer lol, I legitimately find it an interesting option that I want to see explored. honestly, the confusion can just be used as a measure to gain free turns, don't think of it as "lol let me hax the opponent as much as possible". I know I mentioned pairing it with a flinch source, but that's only talking about potential, saying that it's a possible option if there's no other place to turn to. Trust me, if I wanted to go with cancer, I'd have gone with Scarf Serene Grace Blissey. At least Machamp can do stuff without confusion.

Actually, scratch that. I don't want to risk having this CCaT end up like the last one.

Darkrai @ Focus Sash
Ability: Bad Dreams
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

Abomasnow (F) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Blizzard
- Energy Ball
- Ice Shard
- Protect

Fast, strong attacker with the ability to hit most TR setters, and gets complimentary boltbeam coverage to help it out. Abomasnow sets up Hail to allow Darkrai to spam fast, powerful Blizzards, and to allow this team to potentially evolve into a Blizzspam team, an archetype that honestly intrigues me a little bit, albeit looking a little gimmicky. Leaving the mega open so you can use kang or diancie, both of which could work out.
You want to put sash on Darkrai on a hail team? Idt you thought this through

Mega Aerodactyl is super anti meta. It outspeeds p much everything, and has solid offensive stabs. Its a really cool pokemon, and its way too underrated, imo. I'm not sure if you want us to post sets now, but this is a pretty good set for it:

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Aerial Ace
- Aqua Tail
- Protect

Max attack, speed to outspeed adamant scarf lando, and the rest in hp. The moves are standard for offensive mega aero. Rock slide is for high skill level gameplay hitting talonflame and charizard, aerial ace is for keldeo, amoonguss, and serperior, and aqua tail is for weakened lando and diancie. (I can't remember if aero can OHKO diancie with aqua tail, but it probably does a shit ton.) Good partners for aero are things that help with lando, bulky waters, and electric types. Amoonguss and Kyurem-B would probably work well.

lepton

im fragile, but not that fragile
is a Tiering Contributor

Salamence @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Tailwind
- Protect

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Protect

This tailwind core is p cool, Salamence is a good support mon with Intimidate and Tailwind. Bisharp takes care of Fairies and ice types for mence, with tailwind helping it's average speed. Mence can switch into some fighting types like Icy Wind-less Keldeo for Bisharp as well as Choice-locked Landoge.

CorruptedOmega

Banned deucer.

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Gyarados @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Atk / 120 Def / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Waterfall
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Protect

Very anti-meta core that boasts good defensive synergy and good offensive presence. All around decent. I took the Gyarados spread from the Gyarados revamp analysis in the DOU C&C forum.

Last edited:

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
Great turnout guys! Hopefully this CCaT becomes a success :)! Voting time!

To vote, just post in bold one of the following:

Meloettaaa's QD Volcarona + Sableye
Twix's Mega Gallade
KyleCole's DD Mega Charizard X + FM Jirachi
Roxer's Mega Abomasnow + Tail Glow & Blizzard Manaphy
BlueSkiddoWeCanToo's Suicune + Hoopa-U
thinkin's Hitmontop
Derivative's DD Gyarados
deoxys speed's Mega Gardevoir + Sash Gengar
Yellow Paint's Mega Lucario + Hoopa-U
Pastelle's Mega Charizard Y + Raichu
Silverwhiteblue's Deoxys-A + Keldeo
Lord Qwilfish's excellent Scarf Landorus-T + Mega Kangaskhan
megacyber's Mega Aerodactyl
gogurtgoat's Tailwind LO Salamence + Sash Bisharp
CorruptedOmega7's Mega Diancie + Bulky Gyarados

Voting ends on Sunday, GMT noon. BTW, you can't vote for your own submission lol. pce

Last edited:
Lord Qwilfish's excellent Scarf Landorus-T + Mega Kangaskhan

thinkin's Hitmontop
because theres the biggest room for creativity imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)