ORAS UU Double Ice! Abomasnow/Avalugg Stall!

Double Ice! Abomasnow/Avalugg Stall

This teams has a set of very well defined strengths and weaknesses. I've had a ton of fun playing with it! Ice is by no means a good defensive typing but Abomasnow and Avalugg are two mons who have just enough for what it takes to beat a large majority of the current UU metagame. The unknown factor around these 2 mons certainly helps boost their effectiveness however, this team doesn't depend on any of that to close out games. Enough with the intro! lets get on to team building!!!

Team At A Glance:

Team Building Process:

Before I started playing this team, I played predominantly balanced teams. I started building this team off of a Krookodile, Suicune core. Both are amazingly strong Pokemons who compliments each other well. I decided with a stall bulky bruiser type dile to function as a lead and a crocune as a win condition.

Knowing that I will have problems with certain fighting types especially those with guts, I decided to add in Choice Crobat to the mix. I've also added Sylveon as a special wall seeing as how my team needs some form of check against Hydreigon.

For my final 2 pokemons, I know that I need a spinner and seeing as how much problems my team would face against some of the hardest hitting physical types in the metagame, I decided to go with Forretress who also provides another form of entry hazzard in spikes which my team would greatly benefit from since it forces many switches.

As for my last pokemon I went with trick Rotom-H since my team is looking to be pretty weak against calm mind and bulk up users, I know that I have to find a way to cheese out a victory against those types of teams. It is also a good volt turner and gives good resistances with it's fire typing. Next comes play testing.

Here is where I realized that I am relying too much on Rotom-H as a stop against set up users, very often the opponent would switch out or OHKO Rotom before he can use trick. Against bulky water types, my safest switch in is Suicune which isn't a very good thing as I often want to save it for last to win the game with since it's bascially my only win condition. At this point, Rotom is rotated out and in comes Abomasnow who checks most fairy types and suicune who are frequent users of calm mind at that moment. Crobat also became a support offense hybrid at this point of time.

My team at this moment was extremely weak to poison type attacks as well as toxic spikes and Forretress simple does not apply enough pressure by itself and I found that I am not utilizing him enough. Rather than to find a spinner who can spin away hazards, I decided to try to build my team around not giving my opponent the chance to use a hazard move. I decided to drop Forretress in favor of Avalugg who I realised (after personally facing one in a game) is FAR more bulky than I initially made him out to be. Sylveon was also switched for Umbreon to deal with the Nidos better.

An In-Depth Look:

Krookodile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Krookodile is my lead in about 70% of games and an amazing one at that. Intimidate is an amazing ability to have. Even if the opponent leads with something that counters the gator like Beedrill or Crobat, I can always capitalize on the attack drop (or switch into Umbreon for special attackers) to get a decent switch in. First turn knock off is seriously underrated. Espeically against offensive teams where knock off can also function as a set check against potential switch ins. I would still go for the stealth rocks if I'm up against a stall team just because it would do so much more over the course of the game. I ran taunt to stop slower pokemons from setting up rocks which I found to be particularly important since there are 2 ice type mons on my team.

Abomasnow @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard

Abomasnow is one of the stars of my team, Suicune usually closes out about 20% of games which I win but that's because 40% of the time this guy has already done so much damage that Suicune doesn't even need to come out (rest of the 40% is due to teamwork). Soundproof is one of the most important part of Abomasnow since it allows him to hard counter Sylveon (without HP fire), Galvantula. With it's unique typing, it can easily switch into most fairy types as well as bulky waters (espeically opponent Suicunes but not flash cannon Emploeon) and outlast them with sub seed. The strategy to use this mon is simple but effective, switch into something you counter and set up substitute and the rest is self explanatory. Even counters against Abomasnow can't escape receiving some chip damage when the snowman is behind a sub. The EVs are for outspeeding uninvested base 65s and Ice shard for a little of poke damage if the opponent is within KO range.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

My "win condition". Early game, he serves as my switch in to banded and hard hitting fire types as well as being a soft check against Mega-Aerodactyl and Mega-Blastoise. Pressure also helps to PP stall in stall vs stall battles. Some teams are completely unprepared for this set and Suicune would just rip through them starting from turn 8. We've all experienced that before and enough people have written on this mon so NEXT!

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- Toxic

I switched away from ChoiceBat because of this predictability. I found StallBat to be an insanely infuriating mon to be facing against. It's speed tier means that you probably would never be able to use any support moves like hazards/defog/recovery/boosts/taunts while the bat is in the field. Meanwhile Toxic helps that the opponent non-poison/non-steel pokemon would eventually die off while you survive thanks to your typing and roost which I found to be a way to stall break. Crobat is also my check against the many fighting types in the tier and can threaten with brave bird which will still chunk them down heavily even with the minimal attack investment. He is one of my anti stealth rock duo.

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

You probably noticed that the team is still not as physically sturdy, powerful turners and banded mons can easily rip through the remaining of this team. Well the truth is, Suicune and Crobat are not my usual recipient of physical abuse but rather, it is Avalugg, THE BEAST! Avalugg is so defensive, he eats super effective STAB physical moves for breakfast and downs it all with recover. He then KOs back with STAB avalanche and earthquake for those pesky fire types who seemed to believe that they can even scratch Avalugg's magnificent shell. Avalugg is really not a spinner he is a dedicated physical wall and a very good one at that. So please don't switch him in just to clear a single layer of stealth rock and you will be rewarded handsomely.

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Umbreon is the special wall of the team and also the other game closer. I found the combination of wish and protect to synergize extremely well with leftover recovery as well as scald burn and toxic which has racked up over the course of the game. He can tank most common special attackers relatively well including Hydreigon, Goodra, and Porygon-Z. By itself, it is also capable of beating many of the most popular mons in the metagame 1v1 like Gyarados, the Nido duo and Mega-Sceptile just to name a few. Synchronize is also a very useful ability to have since any burns and poison status automatically gets transferred to the opponent while you can simply heal yourself with heal bell!​

Import/Export
Krookodile @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Abomasnow @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- Toxic

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

TBI
weakness and flaws

Last edited:
Comments are greatly appreciated, this team is really weak against certain sets and gets completely wrecked by them. Currently struggling to climb over 1600...

Killintime

Time not so well spent
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Everything good in the hood brother? I am here to leave a rate with some advice on your team ye feel me? Overall issues I wanted to fix with your team included:
  • Lack of dedicated way of dealing with sweepers.
  • serious stealth rocks weakness on a stall
  • Subpar mons whose positions could be filled by something greater.
  • Set fixes

-Alright so I saw your title, then I looked at your team. You see my friend when we build stalls one of the most important things we look out for are setup sweepers, and let me tell you the most common ones have a field day with your team such as cobalion and lucario. So I will be making a few changes to try and mitigate these problems as much as possible starting withhhhh:

Krookodile @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

• Now the reason krook is so good in the first place isn't just its bulk, but its due to its bulk and great speed tier. This mons speed tier puts it right above mons like entei, nidoking, toxicroak, lucario, etc etc all these mons you can just straight OHKO instead of you yourself getting OHKOed by them. So do yourself a favour and run a jolly nature on your krook otherwise it will just be a slightly bulkier mon that does its job less efficiently. The rocky helmet on krook allows you to punish rapid spinners like forretress as they are unable to get rocks off the field since if they continue to click spin they will eventually die. (if you didnt know mons that die from some sort of damage upon spinning will not remove the hazards on their side of the field).
-Now moving on to the next mon I noticed you had an NU mon in aboma, now the only reason to ever use aboma in UU is the mega evolution form whose stabs are extremely anti-meta and allow it to support itself even with the stupid amount of weaknesses it carries. So why bother with it when we could be running this instead:
-------->

Chesnaught @ Rocky Helmet / leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield

• Now chesnaught will give you a dedicated counter to mons like gyarados, swampert, sharpedo, look waters in general. This mon will also offer your team another form of hazards in spikes giving you a decent hazard stack build which is great for stall to abuse. Heck you even get to keep the leech seed you were using on aboma. its imperative you keep wood hammer on this to beat sub gyarados since you'll be able to hammer his subs and simply click spiky shield on his bounces.
-With that decent hazard stack we have going on, why not synergize with it even more as well as take care of your slow calm mind user issues such as cress or reuni by:

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Roar

• With roar CM cune you will be able to setup alongside other cm users and roar them out; this leaves you with a cune at a higher boosted position allowing you to win as long as they aren't the last mon on the opponents team. The speed allows you to out pace modest specs sylveon and other cunes so you can out speed them and give them a nice shout. The lack of sleep talk will be dealt with your clerics heal bell if the situation calls for an up and awake cune. The roar also gives you an "OH SHIT" button in case some dude is setting up with something weird like sub sd tentacruel.....
-Man with all that work of getting hazards up...it would be a shame if they got defogged away am I right? So what we can do is:
--------------------->

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Rock Head
Jolly Nature
- Wing Attack
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Roost

• Now by running aero we get an a lot more effective way of dealing with celebi who seemed like a pain in the ass before what with the whole np psychic/dazzling gleam thing going on. This will allow you to also pursuit trap or at least scare out common defoggers such as crobat, mandibuzz, and lefties empoleon fearing the eq. This will also give your stall speed presence preventing mons like nasty plot infernape from going in hard due to the fact it can be revenged at any time you like. Pursuit also works well in shattering volt-turn cores with you being able to pursuit trap the volt switch users locked into the wrong move or simply kill the most common u-turn user in mega beedrill. If you want you could probably switch pursuit for taunt, but personally I would keep it as pursuit.
-Now I am sorry, but I think you knew I was eventually going to get around to saying this. A wall who is weak to rocks, carries a garbage defensive typing in ice, and has an abysmal sp.def stat has no real reason being in UU especially when common wallbreakers such as mamoswine are still fine with doing >50% in damage with earthquake as long as rocks are up.
-------------------->

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Heavy Slam
- Volt Switch

• Forre can be the dedicated fairy switch in on your team as long as you scout specs sylveons move with a protect in some way, it also offers you t-spikes and rapid spin but in return is reliant on wish passes (which is fine tbh with a lot of your mons already carrying their own forms of recovery). The volt switch allows you to do things like hard switch it into celebi so you can slow volt switch into your aerodactyl safely.
-Lastly your stall like most stalls needs a fairy type otherwise it falls over to mons like stallbreaker hydreigon, sableye, mandibuzz, etc etc and we can do that by simply switching your cleric around:
-------------->

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

• Sylveon gives you a dedicated fighting resist as long as those fightings arent named coba and lucario, prevents the opponent from clicking draco meteor freely, and hits like a freken truck. To put it in perspective sylveon uninvested hits harder than an invested pixie plate whimsicott which is pretty funny, because of that it prevents a lot of mons from simply setting up on it. I would be lying if I said I didn't just click hyper voice on cobalions for the free 56% just because I knew for a fact they were going for SD that turn.
Hopefully these changes help you out dude and I am sorry if you take offence to them, but I am just trying to make your team as viable as possible and the way things were looking this kind of squad doesnt really make it anywhere big besides the lower end of the ladder. gl man.

Krookodile @ Rocky Helmet
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Chesnaught @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Roar

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Rock Head
Jolly Nature
- Wing Attack
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Roost

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Heavy Slam
- Volt Switch

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)