Double Trouble - SubDD Kingdra + CM Virizion!

Are you ready to rock?!?​

By definition, a SubDD Kingdra has two counters - Ferrothorn and Empoleon. When they are gone, Kingdra can let loose his Dragon+Water coverage to the maximum. It also trolls Drizzle teams, granted their Ferrothorn is gone. On this basis, I started the team.

Now, I needed an offensive partner to take down those pesky durian fruits and metal penguins. The obvious answer is a fighting type - However, they tend to be physical, and having my offensive core be two physically inclined Pokemon tends to be a bad idea. Virizion had a reputation of being a "rain killer" - very alluring, as having it alongside Kingdra would almost guarantee my victory against rain teams, while being able to efficiently get rid of problem Pokemon for Kingdra.

Now that I got my offensive core going, I needed something to protect me from speedy Dragon types such as Latios. Heatran stuck out, as it made a F/W/G core, as well as countering sun threats such as Volcarona and Venusaur. It even sets up the diverse Stealth Rock, bring Virizion and Kingdra to a quicker sweep.

Even with Kingdra and Heatran, I still needed to make sure that I don't get swept by DD Dragons; with a combination of Dragon + Ground moves, the team would fall easily. I chose CS Mamoswine, as it is nigh unpredictable, whether it has LO, Focus Sash, or a choice item, while being able to hit through subs with its Icicle Spear. It is immune to Sandstorm and Hail, and is a secondary check to Volcarona.

With bulky sweepers, I needed a rapid spinner for Toxic Spikes, and for entry hazards in general. However, most of them were defensive, losing my momentum instantly. LO Tentacruel had what my highly offensive team needed; being able to spin, lay Toxic Spikes for walls I can't take out with attacks, and attack.

With two set-up sweepers, it would be beneficial for screens. However, there seemed to be another problem: an accidental paralyze or poison might spell the end for either of them. Thus, having Dual Screen + Lunar Dance Cresselia provided to be more than enough to raise the pressure on my opponent quickly enough. A paralyzed, half-dead Virizion or Kingdra rising back from the dead with its counters sacrificed spells GG, especially with screens up.

~ In-Depth Analysis ~

Maelstrom (Kingdra) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Outrage

SubDD Kingdra is maybe one of the most underused, if not most destructive, forces in the OU metagame. With the screens provided with Cresselia, Substitutes are harder to break, allowing me to get free DD's up every game. With its counters gone, Outrage and Waterfall wreck havoc on.... Well, everything. With rain up, it gets a boost to speed with Swift Swim, not to mention its Waterfall.

Jessica (Virizion) @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

CM Virizion is majorly a scary Pokemon to play against, but also a scare to pilot. Its most powerful - and arguably its most used move - is Focus Blast, and its infamous 70% accuracy can make or break a match. It OHKO's Ferrothorn at +1, and OHKO's Empoleon outright, helping Kingdra out. Giga Drain is a somewhat-consistent recovery move, and hits annoying Ground/Water Pokemon such as Quagsire. Hidden Power Ice is for annoying Dragons that think they can wall it.

Blasphemy (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

What can I say? Specially Defensive Heatran is a boss! It sets up rocks, and Lava Plume makes physical sweepers with EQ think twice about switching in. Roar is also mandatory, as an emergency stop for set-up sweepers, while Protect helps against choice'd Pokemon.

Permafrost (Mamoswine) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Icicle Spear
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Scarf Mamoswine is a mixed bag - For one thing, it hits both Dragonite and Volcarona. On the other hand, its coverage moves are walled easily, forcing it to switch a lot, and Stealth Rock limits that. I doubt it is replaceable though, as no other Pokemon has the right typing of moves and and power that Mamoswine has.
Icicle Spear is used over Icicle Crash for a number of reasons; even though it can be unreliable at times, it can break through Subs *CoughDragoniteGliscorcough*, and Icicle Crash is incompatible with Superpower, while also being able to break through Multiscale and Focus Sash's.

Whipper (Tentacruel) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Ivs: 29 HP
- Hydro Pump
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam

Tentacruel is much more than the average spinner - it absorbs Toxic Spikes, sets them up itself, and has enough power to attack back. While it may be weak to Water types, Virizion takes them out, and they can only switch in once without Toxic Spikes bringing them down. Sometimes LO and Rapid Spin are a problem, but Tentacruel usually only does RS + TS or do some damage anyways. 29 HP IVs are so that you can get 11 attacks maximum.

Freyja (Cresselia) (F) @ Light Clay
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 40 SDef / 68 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Reflect
- Lunar Dance
- Light Screen
- Ice Beam

Cresselia is chosen over other Dual Screeners for one reason: Lunar Dance. This move has single-candidly won me games, as most teams can't take a Virizion / Kingdra sweep twice. Usually when one of them are crippled, the opposing team lets their counters get KO'd; when that happens, Lunar Dance seals the game, with a full-on Dual Screen sweep. Ice Beam is used as the only attacking move, as nothing is immune to it.​

As always, thanks for viewing, and here's the importable if you want to steal try out the team.

- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Outrage

- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

- Icicle Spear
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

- Hydro Pump
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Reflect
- Lunar Dance
- Light Screen
- Ice Beam

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
ooh, I like your use of cresselia to give the support that kingdra needs to get enough boosts to muscle past pokemon who switch into it. I haven't run calcs, but can kingdra get enough boosts to beat ferrothorn before reflect runs out?

Usually, I get enough boosts so that I can do 45% or more to it in one shot, seriously crippling it, so that it'll be dead weight, one of the Pokemon that the opponent sacrifices, especially if I still have Virizion. From there, Cress can set up screens > Lunar Dance to it.

I'm testing your team and...I tried a different Evs Spread for Heatran, 252 speed / 252 Sp.Atk (Timid) with air ballon, with Earthpower over Protect and its much better , try it!
Well, the team its very well made, VirizionLO its a force, good job man

Another thing: Change the IV combination of Virizion to get 31 Iv in Speed, instead of 30 you have in the export to text, this way you can try to win some important speed tie :D

Hmm... I do see the benefit of that, especially with dealing with Dragons that Mamo/Kingdra can't take on... I'll definately try it! Thanks for the rate! :D

Desolate

Banned deucer.
Are you ready to rock?!?​

By definition, a SubDD Kingdra has two counters - Ferrothorn and Empoleon. When they are gone, Kingdra can let loose his Dragon+Water coverage to the maximum. It also trolls Drizzle teams, granted their Ferrothorn is gone. On this basis, I started the team.

Now, I needed an offensive partner to take down those pesky durian fruits and metal penguins. The obvious answer is a fighting type - However, they tend to be physical, and having my offensive core be two physically inclined Pokemon tends to be a bad idea. Virizion had a reputation of being a "rain killer" - very alluring, as having it alongside Kingdra would almost guarantee my victory against rain teams, while being able to efficiently get rid of problem Pokemon for Kingdra.

Now that I got my offensive core going, I needed something to protect me from speedy Dragon types such as Latios. Heatran stuck out, as it made a F/W/G core, as well as countering sun threats such as Volcarona and Venusaur. It even sets up the diverse Stealth Rock, bring Virizion and Kingdra to a quicker sweep.

Even with Kingdra and Heatran, I still needed to make sure that I don't get swept by DD Dragons; with a combination of Dragon + Ground moves, the team would fall easily. I chose CS Mamoswine, as it is nigh unpredictable, whether it has LO, Focus Sash, or a choice item, while being able to hit through subs with its Icicle Spear. It is immune to Sandstorm and Hail, and is a secondary check to Volcarona.

With bulky sweepers, I needed a rapid spinner for Toxic Spikes, and for entry hazards in general. However, most of them were defensive, losing my momentum instantly. LO Tentacruel had what my highly offensive team needed; being able to spin, lay Toxic Spikes for walls I can't take out with attacks, and attack.

With two set-up sweepers, it would be beneficial for screens. However, there seemed to be another problem: an accidental paralyze or poison might spell the end for either of them. Thus, having Dual Screen + Lunar Dance Cresselia provided to be more than enough to raise the pressure on my opponent quickly enough. A paralyzed, half-dead Virizion or Kingdra rising back from the dead with its counters sacrificed spells GG, especially with screens up.

~ In-Depth Analysis ~

- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Outrage

SubDD Kingdra is maybe one of the most underused, if not most destructive, forces in the OU metagame. With the screens provided with Cresselia, Substitutes are harder to break, allowing me to get free DD's up every game. With its counters gone, Outrage and Waterfall wreck havoc on.... Well, everything. With rain up, it gets a boost to speed with Swift Swim, not to mention its Waterfall.

- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

CM Virizion is majorly a scary Pokemon to play against, but also a scare to pilot. Its most powerful - and arguably its most used move - is Focus Blast, and its infamous 70% accuracy can make or break a match. It OHKO's Ferrothorn at +1, and OHKO's Empoleon outright, helping Kingdra out. Giga Drain is a somewhat-consistent recovery move, and hits annoying Ground/Water Pokemon such as Quagsire. Hidden Power Ice is for annoying Dragons that think they can wall it.

- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

What can I say? Specially Defensive Heatran is a boss! It sets up rocks, and Lava Plume makes physical sweepers with EQ think twice about switching in. Roar is also mandatory, as an emergency stop for set-up sweepers, while Protect helps against choice'd Pokemon.

- Icicle Spear
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Scarf Mamoswine is a mixed bag - For one thing, it hits both Dragonite and Volcarona. On the other hand, its coverage moves are walled easily, forcing it to switch a lot, and Stealth Rock limits that. I doubt it is replaceable though, as no other Pokemon has the right typing of moves and and power that Mamoswine has.
Icicle Spear is used over Icicle Crash for a number of reasons; even though it can be unreliable at times, it can break through Subs *CoughDragoniteGliscorcough*, and Icicle Crash is incompatible with Superpower, while also being able to break through Multiscale and Focus Sash's.

Ivs: 29 HP
- Hydro Pump
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam

Tentacruel is much more than the average spinner - it absorbs Toxic Spikes, sets them up itself, and has enough power to attack back. While it may be weak to Water types, Virizion takes them out, and they can only switch in once without Toxic Spikes bringing them down. Sometimes LO and Rapid Spin are a problem, but Tentacruel usually only does RS + TS or do some damage anyways. 29 HP IVs are so that you can get 11 attacks maximum.

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Reflect
- Lunar Dance
- Light Screen
- Ice Beam

Cresselia is chosen over other Dual Screeners for one reason: Lunar Dance. This move has single-candidly won me games, as most teams can't take a Virizion / Kingdra sweep twice. Usually when one of them are crippled, the opposing team lets their counters get KO'd; when that happens, Lunar Dance seals the game, with a full-on Dual Screen sweep. Ice Beam is used as the only attacking move, as nothing is immune to it.​

As always, thanks for viewing, and here's the importable if you want to steal try out the team.

- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Outrage

- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

- Icicle Spear
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

- Hydro Pump
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Reflect
- Lunar Dance
- Light Screen
- Ice Beam
This is an especially great-looking team to be honest. By both skimming over it and literally looking for flaws, I only found one small thing, and I don't really consider it a flaw: consider changing Virizion's HP EVs to SDef - most players don't dare try to hit Virizion with a physical move because of its Steel-typing, and Dragon-types usually don't know what to expect, so unless they're set up with a good amount of DDances or Moxie boosts, they'll switch out.

Also, I wouldn't change Heatran's item to Air Balloon; if you're not leading with Heatran, you usually should never give it an Air Balloon because it'll pop if you have to switch in or have entry hazards on your side.

@Desolate
4 Ev's in Special Defense would be a good change, but I doubt it would matter in the long run... :P
And on Air Balloon v. Leftovers, you are correct. I need HP recovery so that I can take high-power dragon attacks easier, and I also have Protect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)