#Doubles Activities - Gen 6 Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Doubles Activities

Now bringing you #doubles activities! In this thread, there will be different activities posted that will take place in this metagame's IRC channel, #doubles. Ranging from discussions to tournaments, these activities are designed to give both old and new players alike opportunities to improve their skills and get more integrated in the Doubles community. For those of you new to IRC, you can join through this link. Hope to see you there!

Current Activity: XY Metagame Discussion (Nov. 2nd @ 8 PM EST)

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The current activity is XY Metagame Discussion. With the recent introduction of Gen 6, there have been some huge shifts in the metagame, such as the loss of popular Pokemon like Latios, Thundurus, and Heatran, the lack of gems, loss of tutor moves, and the new Pokemon (including Megas). If you're interested in getting some insight into how the metagame will shape up (or just wanna make a few friends), come join us on Saturday, November 2nd at 8 PM EST, when a panel of experts will be voicing their thoughts and taking questions.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The metagame will differ vastly without Gems. Apparently, we won't even get gems through Pokebank? Imagine that gen 6 never gets gems - what will happen?

What do you guys think about malamar in doubles? The move topsy-turvy could be fantastic on an enemy or an ally when used correctly, like when an enemy is too unbearably set up, or when an ally uses a stat reducing move like leaf storm or draco meteor.

So far on pokemon showdown, I made a team with an extremely bulky goodra with a slightly faster malamar with a focus sash. Goodra uses draco meteor and malamar uses trick room on the first turn, and then goodra uses draco meteor again and malamar uses trick room on the second turn. Goodra now has x3 special attack, which it uses sludge wave or muddy water while malamar switches out with an aegislash.

I've won 8 out of 10 games with only losing malamar.

I think this would also work with noivern and boomburst if you don't want to use trick room or you want noivern's infiltrator ability, but I want to know what other people think.

I've actually faced this team, iirc.

It's certainly a creative idea, but like other teammate related strategies (Swagger + Lum, Skill Swap, etc), it is vulnerable to moves like Rage Powder and Taunt (and gets disrupted by things like Fake Out). It's great if you can pull it off, but pulling it off is going to be difficult at best.

As for Malamar in general, I can't say I've been all that impressed by it up to this point. It's certainly unique, but it's also slow and lacking in bulk (86/88/75 isn't very impressive). I suppose with some support it could prove itself pretty useful, though.

I have been running an assault vest Scrafty on a trick room team.
Scrafty @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Atk / 152 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Fake Out
- Crunch
- Brick Break
- Drain Punch

This makes his effective SpD at 502, most fairies and fairy type coverage users don't 1 hit KO him (Play rough users and Gardevoir still hand him his ass on a platter though).
he fakes the opponent out allowing my other pokemon to set up trick room, he has brick break to deal with screens (I'm not too happy with this but I cannot think of something else to run), drain punch for survivability and a STAB, and crunch (I would rather run knock off but I'm not playing in pokebank) because its coverage that allows me to deal with enemy trick roomers and Aegislash.
He does the job that I want to a decent extent.

Last edited:
he has brick break to deal with screens (I'm not too happy with this but I cannot think of something else to run)
If nothing else, Stone Edge can handle Flying-types such as Talonflame (you'll have to weaken it w/ Intimidate or predict the switch in) or Zapdos, among others. Poison Jab is also an option for hitting Fairies.

I've been experimenting with Choice Specs Exploud running that Boomburst (Which hits all adjacent pokemon for a 140 special perfect accuracy normal-stab move, including ghosts if you're Scrappy) as well as looking for pokemon that might pair well with him. I've found 3 that serve reasonably well. Boomburst is such a powerful weapon that it's well worth it to jump through some hoops to get it too work.

Greninja's Mat Block is exceptionally powerful in doubles, protecting both himself and Exploud from being hit. Exploud is bulky enough that often 1 turn of not getting hit is enough to do significant damage. You don't have much to do after the second turn, though.

Klefki also serves as a decent partner. Immedietly putting up Light Screen will allow Klefki to easily tank your own BoomBurst while Exploud definately appreciates the increased bulk.

Oddly enough, the best pairing that I've found with Exploud might just be Mr. Mime. Mime comes complete with soundproof and Wide Guard to protect exploud, as well as fake out to first turn flinch problem pokes, Dazzling Gleam to deal decent damage to dragons, Icy Wind to lower speed, dual screens...Mr. Mime definitely has a tough case of 4 move syndrome, but you don't have to swing that often with Exploud to just WRECK holes in the opponent's team.

What do you guys think of Exploud?

I'm so ready for Heatran it isn't funny.

Lost to a pure Mono Fire team tonight after a Lava Plume Magmorter (Scarf) managed to get that 30% burn up to 100%, except on Talonflame, where it just TBolted it.

I'm not Super Weak to fire per se, but that amount of Hax made me want to stab my eyes out.

December can't come fast enough.

Also, fuck Klefki and its ParaFusion bullshit.

I'm so ready for Heatran it isn't funny.

Lost to a pure Mono Fire team tonight after a Lava Plume Magmorter (Scarf) managed to get that 30% burn up to 100%, except on Talonflame, where it just TBolted it.

I'm not Super Weak to fire per se, but that amount of Hax made me want to stab my eyes out.

December can't come fast enough.
*cough* use Chandelure. No seriously though, its comes with the same Fire immunity as well as a bonus Fighting-type immunity, and can set Trick Room or simply go all out offensive with a Choice Scarf.

I'm a total doubles noob, but I'm starting to get more into it. I feel like Meowstic-M actually has a lot of potential in doubles. Priority Mean Look, Priority Screens and Fake Out. I dunno if this is the right place to post this, but it was something I thought merited discussion. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Welcome to Doubles, Aldrius! Meowstic-M's true niche comes from Prankster Safeguard. With Will-o-Wisp and Thunder Wave becoming commonplace moves, having that guaranteed priority protetion against these crippling status can be a godsend. Even more, with Safeguard up Meowstic-M can double its partners offense with Swagger without inducing confusion! Only Whimsicott and Klefki can perform the same Prankster Safe Swagger antics as Meowstic-M. As you have mentioned, the latter have other utility moves to set itself apart, namely Fake Out and Quick Guard.

It's hard to say who is the best at Safe Swagger, though. Whimsicott, for instance, is the fastest user of those three with access to moves like Taunt and Encore, not to mention it's new Fairy typing. The choice is probably dependent on the recipient, too.

Braverius

snowls
is a Past SPL Champion
Welcome to Doubles, Aldrius! Meowstic-M's true niche comes from Prankster Safeguard. With Will-o-Wisp and Thunder Wave becoming commonplace moves, having that guaranteed priority protetion against these crippling status can be a godsend. Even more, with Safeguard up Meowstic-M can double its partners offense with Swagger without inducing confusion! Only Whimsicott and Klefki can perform the same Prankster Safe Swagger antics as Meowstic-M. As you have mentioned, the latter have other utility moves to set itself apart, namely Fake Out and Quick Guard.

It's hard to say who is the best at Safe Swagger, though. Whimsicott, for instance, is the fastest user of those three with access to moves like Taunt and Encore, not to mention it's new Fairy typing. The choice is probably dependent on the recipient, too.
SAFESWAG is a really good idea with Klefki, probably the most sturdy mon that can do it along with having godlike typing to match its defenses.

I'd really suggest having a team not built around Safeswag, but adding it on in the back. It doesn't really click when you think about "hey i could swagger THAT" when you look at EVERY SINGLE POKEMON EVER HOLY SHIT IT ALL LOOKS SO JUICY

Anyways yeah while Whimsicott looks okay and all that, I think Klefki is your best bet, maybe Meowstic if you REALLY need that Fake Out and can afford to have a mon with no attacking moves (because let's face it, Psychic is doing jack shit to anything from that thing)

EDIT: Pwnemon is running CB Mamoswine? Pfflol is it shiny, too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)