Doubles CCAT #2 - Completed!

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Leprechaun

I'm far more concerned with the fact that Fighting-types basically have a way with this team than anything else. Sure Mence helps but it can't do much other than Intimidate, use a move, and be forced to switch out. AV Conk in particular shits all over because fuck Quick Guard and it has Knock Off for Cress. Mega V doesn't really hurt it much but at least the effect is mutual- it isn't getting past that fat hide.

Also Garchomp is pretty legitly terrifying so wouldn't want to go with another Steel-type.
And also Water-type moves.

Alright let's get this back up and running.

Our winner of round 5 is The Leprechaun's Mega Venusaur!

Sorry it's taken so long to get this post going. Lots of Real Life happened along with trying to schedule my Circuit Match with my opponent from Spain.

Let's go ahead and open Nominations for Round 6!

Please review out team of 5 and let's get our final Pokemon! I'm going to leave this round open for 1 week, seeing as we have a lot going on at the moment, and the 6th mon is usually super important.

Rotom-W @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 72 SpA / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will O' Wisp
- Light Screen

I only see one real solid possibility to finishing off this team, and that's Rotom-W. It gives the team a secondary Ice-type resistance while helping out against SubTran. It also gives the team a solid switch in to CB Talonflame, something it desperately needs. Completely standard set, because no one takes gimmicks seriously apparently.

As a side note, you guys should give me permission to renovate the team's EV spreads y/y?

Last edited:

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to nominate Azumarill again. For the same reasons as last time, and because it pairs well with Mega Venasaur, who checks Grass-types and Rotom-W for Azumarill. Also I am not getting outvoted by a Stunkfish again.

Everything the same as before except I changed the Spe EVs to outrun Rotom-W. It's not worth the Speed EVs.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Protect

My reasons for Azumarill:

• Hard hitting Pokemon that can take advantage of Cress' Trick Room should we use it, but is more than useable outside it - may as well make use of our own TR, and it also helps against opposing semi-TR teams
  • Reliable and strong priority - Sucker Punch is not reliable. Makes great use on a highly-offensive orientated team
  • Handles the Excadrill + Ttar combo well, as in sand, Excadrill is a significant problem if it can come into play when Salamence is already out (avoiding Intimidate and Fire Blast), outspeeding and OHKOing Bisharp and Terrakion whilst being unphased by Cress and threatens a 25% chance to OHKO Salamence with Rock Slide with a LO boost. Azumarill, however, always survives LO EQ and Rock Slide even without the Sitrus Berry and OHKOs Excadrill whilst having a strong match up against Tyranitar. The Sitrus is needed to avoid a KO from sandstorm damage or if Tyranitar holds a Mega Stone. I have some calcs below
  • Conkeldurr is another big threat, OHKOing Bisharp, Terrakion, and Salamence (the latter even with Intimidate) - consider the OHKO threats, I feel that a second answer beyond Cress is needed, especially if Conk has TR support
  • Obvious good match up against Heatran. Also underspeeds is, which is useful against Heatran if TR is up in order to prevent Heatran from setting up a Substitute (Terrakion can do the same outside of TR)
  • Good to have a Water-resist that doesn't fear Ice Beam, which is useful against rain teams
  • Great defensive typing to add defensive synergy onto the team, which is always welcome. For example, adding a second resist to Ice-, Steel-, and Dragon-. Bisharp can't be relied upon to resist all of this given it's bad special bulk and vulnerability to getting OHKOed. In return, this team has 3 Grass-type resists to cover Azumarill.
  • Makes great use of Cress' Helping Hand with its raw power, OHKOing Bisharp with it whilst avoiding the 2HKO from Iron Head and resisting Knock Off / Sucker Punch.
  • May as well add another physical attacker onto the team given that we're using Bisharp - gotta make good use of its Intimidate-deterrent abilities
azumarill vs excadrill + ttar (close)
252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 216-255 (53.4 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 124-147 (30.6 - 36.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Helping Hand Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 360-426 (99.4 - 117.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO. Excadrill commonly has HP EVs though, so unless it has residual damage, you should probably go for the Waterfall.
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 294-348 (72.7 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. Easy KO with Aqua Jet afterwards, or OHKO with Helping Hand

Last edited:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nice submission, Darkmalice :] However, there are some inconsistencies. Your current spread does not outrun Rotom-W x_x (needs Jolly Nature for that). Also, you propose 164 HP, but then offer damage calcs for max HP Azumarill :0

If we do use Azumarill, we'd really want Leaf Storm on Mega Venusaur to get rid of the pesky Rotom-W. We'd also want to give it Modest and some Speed EVs to outrun most Rotom-W.

I really like the idea of Azumarril, and Rotom is a cool guy too. However, we're still super SubTran weak.

StacheMaster (Thundurus) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 20 Spd / 252 HP / 40 SAtk / 196 SDef 252 HP / 172 SDef / 84 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice] Confide

The EVs are probably a bit outdated. I'd like to redo them so we outspeed all Klefkis (Base 75 speed, right now we're at base 70s) and maybe relook at what kind of bulk we need. Originally, it lived Gem DM from Timid Latios (maybe Modest too) and this old set has proven wonders when paired with everything currently popular on the ladder, making it strong as all get out. Volt Switch is used over the old TBolt to help give a bit of momentum to the team, and HP Ice is for coverage, although we could probably run Swagger or something over it if we wanted to. I'll leave that up to you guys in Revisions though.

Edit: Reworked EVs and moveset a little bit. I'll include some calcs for the bulk side, but the speed is setup to creep all Heatran (77 base) that aren't Scarfed and, in-turn, Klefki, who is 2 points lower. This lets us Volt Switch out of a bad situation with aforementioned Tran. If we aren't gonna worry about that though, we could drop 20 EVs in Speed and pump them into SpDef, bringing it to 192/64. We aren't a big Offensive powerhouse with this setup like Azumarril is, but we do wreak havoc. Confide is a nasty little number that basically acts as a single target Special Intimidate. With Prankster, we can actually dramatically increase our special bulk with just a click, crippling our would-be assailants. Just look at this:

-1 252+ SpA Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 172+ SpD Thundurus: 194-230 (53.5 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That is the strongest Ice Beam in the tier, getting super nerfed to the point where it can't 2HKO us after Sitrus Berry.

This guy really screws up setup teams, like SubTran, Dual Screens, Full TR, etc. I like to pair him off with a Fake Out user normally, like MegaK, but he would function well on this team also.

Calcs:
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 172+ SpD Thundurus in Sun: 202-238 (55.8 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 172+ SpD Thundurus: 288-339 (79.5 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 172+ SpD Thundurus: 290-344 (80.1 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Deoxys-A Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 172+ SpD Thundurus: 289-342 (79.8 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 276-326 (76.2 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

*252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 373-439 (103 - 121.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO*
^Azumarril can't One Shot though, and we still get the Paralyze^

Last edited:

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nice submission, Darkmalice :] However, there are some inconsistencies. Your current spread does not outrun Rotom-W x_x (needs Jolly Nature for that). Also, you propose 164 HP, but then offer damage calcs for max HP Azumarill :0
*facepalm. I'll change the EVs back to max HP and 0 Spe. I was not thinking when i posted that - 94 Spe is actually to outrun Tyranitar, but the team has Ttar covered well.

The damage calc EVs were copied and pasted for my original Azumarill post with max HP - forgot to update the calcs.

If we do use Azumarill, we'd really want Leaf Storm on Mega Venusaur to get rid of the pesky Rotom-W. We'd also want to give it Modest and some Speed EVs to outrun most Rotom-W.
Rotom-W is the main issue with using Azumarill. We could replace Sleep Powder or Synthesis with either Leaf Storm or Giga Drain when we make edits. I'm against the Speed EV change though; would rather not drop Atk EVs to help keep Heatran in check (that thing is everywhere), and it helps Venasaur abuse Cress's TR. By extension Azumarill pairs with TR too, and the 3 together effectively give this team a semi-TR core.

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Gyarados @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 148 Def / 16 SDef / 36 Spd
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Protect

GYARADOS
  • INTIMIDATING
  • TAUNTS PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY CAN TRICK (ROOM) YOU
  • THUNDER WAVES FAST THINGS
  • WATERFALL = FLINCH HAX
  • PROTECT IS RARE IN DUBS :^)
VOTE GYARADOS AND THEN SUBTRAN IS KILL AND PHYSICAL ATTACKERS NOT NAMED BISHARP ARE ALSO KILL

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 240 HP / 80 Def / 112 SpA / 76 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Snarl
- Tailwind

Scald and Snarl gives excellent attack control and you can check SubTran behind subs which is pretty neat. Tailwind is fun with Terra and Bisharp and gives us all the speed control on a semi-TR team. EVs survive unboosted Modest Skymin Seed Flare and hit a leftovers number, while the SpA OHKOs Lando-T with Ice Beam.

A vote for Suicune is a vote for Hitler victory

wasn't pwn going to nom this

You guys have 24 hours to post/finalize your nominations. I know I reworked the Thundy set myself, so feel free to do a bit of optimization if you wish.

VOTING COMMENCE!

Rotom-W @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 72 SpA / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will O' Wisp
- Light Screen

I only see one real solid possibility to finishing off this team, and that's Rotom-W. It gives the team a secondary Ice-type resistance while helping out against SubTran. It also gives the team a solid switch in to CB Talonflame, something it desperately needs. Completely standard set, because no one takes gimmicks seriously apparently.

As a side note, you guys should give me permission to renovate the team's EV spreads y/y?

I'm going to nominate Azumarill again. For the same reasons as last time, and because it pairs well with Mega Venasaur, who checks Grass-types and Rotom-W for Azumarill. Also I am not getting outvoted by a Stunkfish again.

Everything the same as before except I changed the Spe EVs to outrun Rotom-W. It's not worth the Speed EVs.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Protect

My reasons for Azumarill:

• Hard hitting Pokemon that can take advantage of Cress' Trick Room should we use it, but is more than useable outside it - may as well make use of our own TR, and it also helps against opposing semi-TR teams
  • Reliable and strong priority - Sucker Punch is not reliable. Makes great use on a highly-offensive orientated team
  • Handles the Excadrill + Ttar combo well, as in sand, Excadrill is a significant problem if it can come into play when Salamence is already out (avoiding Intimidate and Fire Blast), outspeeding and OHKOing Bisharp and Terrakion whilst being unphased by Cress and threatens a 25% chance to OHKO Salamence with Rock Slide with a LO boost. Azumarill, however, always survives LO EQ and Rock Slide even without the Sitrus Berry and OHKOs Excadrill whilst having a strong match up against Tyranitar. The Sitrus is needed to avoid a KO from sandstorm damage or if Tyranitar holds a Mega Stone. I have some calcs below
  • Conkeldurr is another big threat, OHKOing Bisharp, Terrakion, and Salamence (the latter even with Intimidate) - consider the OHKO threats, I feel that a second answer beyond Cress is needed, especially if Conk has TR support
  • Obvious good match up against Heatran. Also underspeeds is, which is useful against Heatran if TR is up in order to prevent Heatran from setting up a Substitute (Terrakion can do the same outside of TR)
  • Good to have a Water-resist that doesn't fear Ice Beam, which is useful against rain teams
  • Great defensive typing to add defensive synergy onto the team, which is always welcome. For example, adding a second resist to Ice-, Steel-, and Dragon-. Bisharp can't be relied upon to resist all of this given it's bad special bulk and vulnerability to getting OHKOed. In return, this team has 3 Grass-type resists to cover Azumarill.
  • Makes great use of Cress' Helping Hand with its raw power, OHKOing Bisharp with it whilst avoiding the 2HKO from Iron Head and resisting Knock Off / Sucker Punch.
  • May as well add another physical attacker onto the team given that we're using Bisharp - gotta make good use of its Intimidate-deterrent abilities
azumarill vs excadrill + ttar (close)
252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 216-255 (53.4 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 124-147 (30.6 - 36.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Helping Hand Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 360-426 (99.4 - 117.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO. Excadrill commonly has HP EVs though, so unless it has residual damage, you should probably go for the Waterfall.
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 294-348 (72.7 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO. Easy KO with Aqua Jet afterwards, or OHKO with Helping Hand

I really like the idea of Azumarril, and Rotom is a cool guy too. However, we're still super SubTran weak.

StacheMaster (Thundurus) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 20 Spd / 252 HP / 40 SAtk / 196 SDef 252 HP / 172 SDef / 84 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice] Confide

The EVs are probably a bit outdated. I'd like to redo them so we outspeed all Klefkis (Base 75 speed, right now we're at base 70s) and maybe relook at what kind of bulk we need. Originally, it lived Gem DM from Timid Latios (maybe Modest too) and this old set has proven wonders when paired with everything currently popular on the ladder, making it strong as all get out. Volt Switch is used over the old TBolt to help give a bit of momentum to the team, and HP Ice is for coverage, although we could probably run Swagger or something over it if we wanted to. I'll leave that up to you guys in Revisions though.

Edit: Reworked EVs and moveset a little bit. I'll include some calcs for the bulk side, but the speed is setup to creep all Heatran (77 base) that aren't Scarfed and, in-turn, Klefki, who is 2 points lower. This lets us Volt Switch out of a bad situation with aforementioned Tran. If we aren't gonna worry about that though, we could drop 20 EVs in Speed and pump them into SpDef, bringing it to 192/64. We aren't a big Offensive powerhouse with this setup like Azumarril is, but we do wreak havoc. Confide is a nasty little number that basically acts as a single target Special Intimidate. With Prankster, we can actually dramatically increase our special bulk with just a click, crippling our would-be assailants. Just look at this:

-1 252+ SpA Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 172+ SpD Thundurus: 194-230 (53.5 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

That is the strongest Ice Beam in the tier, getting super nerfed to the point where it can't 2HKO us after Sitrus Berry.

This guy really screws up setup teams, like SubTran, Dual Screens, Full TR, etc. I like to pair him off with a Fake Out user normally, like MegaK, but he would function well on this team also.

Calcs:
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 172+ SpD Thundurus in Sun: 202-238 (55.8 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 172+ SpD Thundurus: 288-339 (79.5 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 172+ SpD Thundurus: 290-344 (80.1 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Deoxys-A Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 172+ SpD Thundurus: 289-342 (79.8 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Tyranitar Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 276-326 (76.2 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage

*252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 373-439 (103 - 121.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO*
^Azumarril can't One Shot though, and we still get the Paralyze^

Gyarados @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Atk / 148 Def / 16 SDef / 36 Spd
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Protect

GYARADOS
  • INTIMIDATING
  • TAUNTS PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY CAN TRICK (ROOM) YOU
  • THUNDER WAVES FAST THINGS
  • WATERFALL = FLINCH HAX
  • PROTECT IS RARE IN DUBS :^)
VOTE GYARADOS AND THEN SUBTRAN IS KILL AND PHYSICAL ATTACKERS NOT NAMED BISHARP ARE ALSO KILL

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 240 HP / 80 Def / 112 SpA / 76 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Snarl
- Tailwind

Scald and Snarl gives excellent attack control and you can check SubTran behind subs which is pretty neat. Tailwind is fun with Terra and Bisharp and gives us all the speed control on a semi-TR team. EVs survive unboosted Modest Skymin Seed Flare and hit a leftovers number, while the SpA OHKOs Lando-T with Ice Beam.

A vote for Suicune is a vote for Hitler victory

THREE DAYS TO VOTE LEGGO

edit: changed all the pics to gif files cuz totem found them all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)