DPP Bronzong (Calm Mind/Heatproof)

Status
Not open for further replies.
UNFINISHED

I would love to have people suggesting what Calcs to do, moves to try, et cetera. I have had quite a bit of ridicule from people about how bad this set is; usually people who have never tried it or never played against it. Thanks in advance for the advice.

I have been using this for 4-5 months now. It is amazing. After I began using it, people started complimenting me on using Heatproof; not that I was the first to use it, of course, but since then I have seen several more people using it.

[set]

name: Heatproof + Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Hidden Power (Ground)/Earthquake
move 4: Grass Knot/Hidden Power (Ice)/Trick
item: Leftovers/Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
ability: Heatproof
nature: Modest/Mild
evs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 6 SDef

[SET COMMENTS]
<p> You would not be the first person to ask or say 'What is the point or this set?' or question its usefulness compared to the standard Levitate Bronzong. Well, contrary to popular belief this Bronzong is very good at sweeping; as most of the fire-type pokemon who can sport a STAB Fire Blast or Flamethrower will see themselves dealing less than 50% after one Calm Mind. (See Calculations Below)</p>

<p> Some stuff about countering standard threats </p>

<p> Some Calculations

On the Defense:

Scarf Heatran Flamethrower vs Bronzong w/ 1 Calm Mind - 27.2% - 32.5%
MixApe Flamethrower vs Bronzong w/ 1 Calm Mind - 30.2% - 36.1%
Standard Mixmence Fireblast vs Bronzong w/ 1 Calm Mind - 20.7% - 24.9%
Rotom Max Attack Overheat vs Bronzong w/ 1 Calm Mind - 25.4% - 30.2%

That is just an example of the defensive power of this set. Those are some of the most powerful Fire-Type attacks that will come at Bronzong, from the special side of the spectrum. The only fire attacks that will generally come at Bronzong from the physical side of the spectrum are Fire Punches from Jirachi and Dragonite.

Physical Choice Band Jirachi vs Bronzong - 17.8% - 21.3%
Dragonite (252, Adamant) vs Bronzong - 30.8% - 36.7%

</p>

<p> In the move and nature selection, you have several choices. The most useful version set of attacks is Psychic, Hidden Power (Ground) and Grass Knot. This, however, leaves you in a bad position vs Latias, who can come in and Calm Mind up in your face. The other option is swapping to a Neutral attack nature (Quiet for minus speed, or Mild for minus defense) and use Earthquake over Hidden Power Ground, and Hidden Power Ice over Grass Knot. This allows you to beat Salamence and Dragonite in one hit after a Calm Mind, as well as letting you beat Latias but without the attack boost Earthquake will hit Tyranitar for a lot less than Grass Knot would have; and you miss the KO's on Hippowdon and Swampert. You can also trick a Choice Scarf onto your enemy before you try to sweep, or Choice Specs to boost your special attacks before you trick it, however both of these are not suggested.</p>

<p> On the attacking side of the spectrum, Bronzong has a very large type coverage; and due to its bulk it can survive a number of hits. Bronzong can easily Calm Mind up against almost any opponent on the special side and then sweep, and has enough bulk to be able to kill Physical attackers that switch in.

Please Note, These calculations are with NO Calm Mind Boosts!

Bronzong HP Ground vs Agiligross - 40.1% - 47.4% 2HKO with 1 Boost
Bronzong Psychic vs Infernape - 116.7% - 137.9% Always OHKOd.
Bronzong HP Ground vs Heatran - 79.3% - 94.1% 2HKO with 1 Boost, Chance to OHKO with SR.
Bronzong Grass Knot vs Tyranitar - 54.1% - 64% 2HKO

These numbers, specifically with Tyranitar, may seem underwhelming, as unless you kill Tyranitar in one or two hits it is toast to Crunch - but it is very common that Bronzong will be able to get two or more Calm Minds under its metaphorical belt.

</p>

<p> The best way to switch Bronzong in is when the enemy is a pokemon with Earthquake that is not going to use it. For example, if you have Celebi out against a Metagross, you can switch straight into Bronzong with little threat. Although Bronzong is very sturdy against Fire attacks, it is probably better to retain the element of surprise, and send Bronzong out after one of your pokemon has been KO'd to get a free Calm Mind in.</p>

Counters:

If your enemy can predict well, then Scizor can come in as you are Calm Mind'ing and hen U-Turn out, or Swords Dance and OHKO you. Once the enemy knows that your Bronzong is Heatproof, it will not last long up against Metagross and Tyranitar (If they do not know it is Heatproof, both Metagross and Tyranitar stand no chance.) As stated, Latias walks all over this set, and if you are tricked a Choice item then it wil be difficult for Bronzong to sweep. However, even resisted STAB Psychics at +2 hurt the majority of OU. Skarmory also counters this set - Most other pokemon with whirlwind or roar take a heavy blow when phazing Bronzong (Grass Knot -> Suicune, Grass Knot -> Hippowdon, Grass Knot -> Swampert... see a pattern?)

First off, due to its low Speed, horrible offensive STAB, shit offensive movepool and lack of a reliable recovery, Bronzong is a terribad Calm Minder. Just letting everyone know that >.>

Though it may seem like a good idea to use Heatproof, don't. Heatproof will only work once unless you're facing a fucking idiot, as any competent player will just do a calc and switch up their options from there. Losing the immunity to Ground type attacks and Spikes is a horrible idea for a Pokemon that lacks a reliable option for healing. Have you even tested this set? If you haven't, then stop working on it. If you have, with a great success rate against experienced players, then lurk a bit more before posting anything else; the comments on this set aren't convincing (why use Earthquake with a Mild nature when Tyranitar can just outspeed you and 2HKO with Crunch? even if you can predict the switch in, Earthquake isn't going to 2HKO Tyranitar without a shitload of investment... into Attack >_____>), you have way too many options on the set itself and the format isn't up to par with what's currently used. Try reading other analysises that haven't been closed due to poor presentation and take note of what each user does to make their analysis, um, good.

Just a few things: Calculations are of wrong format, Damage Calculations should have the <ul></ul> format. Also there should be no "counters" section when posting a set. Thirdly I saw a few <p> tags being randomly placed here and there. And some paragraphs have no <p> tags at all. Also wheres the Additional Comments tag?

overall please revise your analysis and look at what other people have done to get a better idea on how this should look like.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm locking this. If you object against it, then PM me logs and a revised analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)