Pokémon Dragonite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonite

Dragon/Flying
91 HP / 134 Atk / 95 Def / 100 SAtk / 100 SDef / 80 Spe
Abilities: Inner Focus (Prevents Flinching)
Hidden Ability: Multiscale (Reduces damage by 50% when full HP)

Confirmed new (TM) moves:
Round
Confide
Power up Punch

Complete TM and HM compatibility lists can be found in the research thread (Not much has changed from 5th generation)

Overview:
Dragonite hasn't gotten much in the way of direct buffs in Generation 6, but to some degree he can count himself lucky, as his legendary versatility and durability have been even further improved through access to some new items. Weakness Policy in particular is a very strong item, and he is one of the few pokemon below Ubers with enough durability to take full advantage of it. Merely the presence of the Weakness Policy set, which many have encountered, makes Dragonite a more intimidating threat than he previously was, forcing enemies to tread carefully when flinging ice shards at the friendliest dinosaur. Assault Vest is another potentially interesting item for Dragonite to take advantage of, however unlike other users such as Goodra and Tyranitar, Dragonite has a very deep support movepool which it loathes to lose access to.

The nerf to Drizzle has negatively impacted some rain focused Dragonite sets, especially those running Hurricane/Thunder. Goodra has also emerged as a second defensive rain loving Dragon. But rain is not dead, and I imagine we'll still see some Dragonite presence wherever rain is preset.

As far as new moves go, Dragonite will likely have to wait for the next game to have a whack at getting something nice. Power Up Punch is an interesting move, but not very useful on a pokemon who already has both excellent options for fighting type moves and solid set up moves.

Potential NEW Sets (Most BW2 OU sets are also still viable, and can be found here)

WeakNite (I do not claim to have invented this set)
Dragonite, Adamant/Jolly Nature, 252atk/252spe/4hp @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
Dragon Dance
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Fire Punch/Fire Blast
Extremespeed/Earthquake/Roost/Thunderpunch/Iron Head

This is basically a DDnite set, something that wasn't the most common set in BW2, except exchanging the leftovers for a Weakness Policy, an item which sharply boosts Atk/Sp.Atk upon being attacked with a supereffective move. The set works in a fairly straightforward way, switch in against something that can't touch you, DD on their switch out, then either get another DD while Weakness Policy is triggered, or potentially go for an attack or roost against priority users.

I'd like to take a moment to say that Extremespeed has gained a pretty respectable boost to its relevance this generation, with Talonflame running around throwing out +1 120BP attacks, having such strong higher priority move on your side is VERY nice, though an unboosted Talonflame isn't particularly threatening to Dragonite it's always nice to have something which will ALWAYS outspeed it on your team. Unfortunately working it into this set does kinda hurt your coverage, or your staying power.

Weakness Policy, I feel, will be best taken advantage of with a secondary setup move, but it could also make some of the old special/mixed rain sets very interesting. Agility is another potential option for a Weakness Policy set, though it is a bit redundant to use both it and Extremespeed on the same set.

AssaultNite
Dragonite, Careful Nature, 252hp/252sdef/4def @ Assault Vest
Ability: Multiscale
Fire Punch
Extremespeed/Earthquake
Dragon Claw/Outrage/Dragon Tail
Iron Head/Thunderpunch

Though I don't feel Dragonite is the best suited user of Assault Vest due to it limiting use of his numerous supportive moves, special defense investment combined with Assault Vest's damage reduction, and even further enhanced by Multiscale, no one can question the sheer special sponge of a set like this, and even unboosted, physical moves coming out of a pokemon with 134 base Attack are no laughing matter. EVs obviously need to be optimized for new metagame threats (and some old ones as well). A Rain focused version of this set would also be possible, running Mild + Thunder/Hurricane/Draco Meteor/[coverage]. I feel a set like this would work best with wish support, as unfortunately Assault Vest prevents use of both leftovers and recovery moves, which limit the effectiveness of multiscale. A mixed set is also possible, but would probably require running -speed.

Overall, I feel Dragonite actually improved a little this generation, despite the changes to Drizzle, mostly because he has become even more versatile which makes him even harder to predict and counter appropriately. Weakness Policy in particular will cause a huge change in how people attempt to deal with Dragonite, since now it actually welcomes those ice beams with open arms, and nobody wants to help a Dragonite set up to +3/2/1 or +2/2/2.

Last edited:
I've been trying the Weakness Policy set and it's quite deadly. Works well as a lead or late game sweeper (with appropriate support to keep Multiscale active). Sometimes I miss Lum Berry though. It makes setting up much easier.

I've been trying the Weakness Policy set and it's quite deadly. Works well as a lead or late game sweeper (with appropriate support to keep Multiscale active). Sometimes I miss Lum Berry though. It makes setting up much easier.
Yes, I've also noticed this issue, not really a lot that can be done about it though, given that WP is one time use and being forced out after triggering it means gimping yourself. It almost reminds me of old YacheChomp in that while it might not be 100% unstoppable, it can almost assuredly kill one pokemon and bring another down very low, almost never ends up 'wasted' at the end of a fight. It has very strong, very quick setup. But it's also reliant on the enemy playing into your hands. Dragonite will be much more of a status magnet than he used to be because of the risk involved in throwing ice moves at him.

Think MixNite should be listed on this:

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Nature: Lonely/Mild/Hasty
~ Roost
~ Dragon Claw/Dragon Pulse
~ Earthquake
~ Thunderbolt/Fire Blast

200-252 Speed EVs
Focus the rest primarily into Attack or Special Attack, depending on Claw or Pulse and then give a remaining 40-60 into the other offensive stat~

Not great with EVs >.<!!!

Dragonite can recycle Weakness Policy uses thanks to Roost+MS and benefit from the boost in both it's Atk and Special Attack. Thunderbolt/Fire Blast can deal with physical walls and you can just use the move that best rounds out your coverage.

I think that Dragonite is substantially worse this generation and in a similar boat to Salamence (but better off than 'mence currently is).

Weakness Policy is vastly overrated imo because all good players generally U-turn or use waterfall/scald/something to feint not having ice beam while breaking multiscale, then ice beam/dragon claw to kill once it's broken (meaning Weakness Policy doesn't do anything). Or of course there are several STAB Dragon/Ice moves that kill right through multiscale (again meaning Weakness Policy does nothing for you). I would say that in past generations this is the way 99% of scenarios played out, and now that Weakness Policy exists it's only a matter of time until everyone learns to not use that ice shard if it isn't going to kill this turn. Will Weakness Policy trigger some games? Sure, always - but not anywhere near enough to make it a competitive item. The best thing about Weakness Policy imo is that it existing means you don't actually have to run it, it's doing something for you by merely existing.

The real problem Dragonite faces is that it just doesn't have the coverage it used to. Azumaril and Togekiss are way too prevalent at the moment and I don't see that changing (not to mention the other fairies which you keep seeing around, just not as much as those two). All the old Nite sets struggle greatly against these, and I think the only viable Nite sets this generation are going to have to pack Thunderpunch/bolt. This is a huge setback for Nite because Thundersomething + 2 Attacks + DD is not great coverage (but still the best DD Nite will be this generation.) I think Thundersomething + 3 Attacks might end up being the main Nite set, and frankly I don't think this set is good enough compared to just using other pokemon.

I was waiting for a Dragonite thread.
I think that despite the introduction of the fairy type he'll still remain a top OU threat,sadly he'll have problems running my favourite set, the thunder-tail one :(
Here are my 2 cents
Dragonite:
Ability:multiscale Nature:Adamant Ev:252HP 252Att 4Def Item:leftovers/red card
Moves:
Thunderwave
Roost
Dragon claw
Fire Punch/Metal head

Multiscale+Roos+Thunderwave should grant his survivability dragon claw is his STAB fire punch to hit steel types or Metal head to hit fuc**** fairies (I wouldn't run earthquake over them).I'd use fire punch with the red card so if the opponent switches on his fairy to counter you he'll eat a thunderwave when he'll hit you(if he manages to do so) his pokémon will get switched out.I think metal head is better with leftovers(but Magnezone will rape you).

Dragonite:
Ability:multiscale Nature:Modest Ev:252HP 252 SAtt 4Def Item:red card
Moves:
Thunderwave
Roost
Dragon pulse
Flamethrower/Fire blast

Special attack equivalent.

Good team mates:Scizor: offers good cover, Mega Mawille: will eat alive a paralyzed opponent.

Last edited:
I think that Dragonite is substantially worse this generation and in a similar boat to Salamence (but better off than 'mence currently is).

Weakness Policy is vastly overrated imo because all good players generally U-turn or use waterfall/scald/something to feint not having ice beam while breaking multiscale, then ice beam/dragon claw to kill once it's broken (meaning Weakness Policy doesn't do anything). Or of course there are several STAB Dragon/Ice moves that kill right through multiscale (again meaning Weakness Policy does nothing for you). I would say that in past generations this is the way 99% of scenarios played out, and now that Weakness Policy exists it's only a matter of time until everyone learns to not use that ice shard if it isn't going to kill this turn. Will Weakness Policy trigger some games? Sure, always - but not anywhere near enough to make it a competitive item. The best thing about Weakness Policy imo is that it existing means you don't actually have to run it, it's doing something for you by merely existing.

The real problem Dragonite faces is that it just doesn't have the coverage it used to. Azumaril and Togekiss are way too prevalent at the moment and I don't see that changing (not to mention the other fairies which you keep seeing around, just not as much as those two). All the old Nite sets struggle greatly against these, and I think the only viable Nite sets this generation are going to have to pack Thunderpunch/bolt. This is a huge setback for Nite because Thundersomething + 2 Attacks + DD is not great coverage (but still the best DD Nite will be this generation.) I think Thundersomething + 3 Attacks might end up being the main Nite set, and frankly I don't think this set is good enough compared to just using other pokemon.
I agree that people are overrating Weakness Policy by quite a bit. If you're not using a set that has Roost you've basically tossed Dragonite into a situation where any smart player can hit you with a non-SE move to start with and then KO you next turn. Or you switch into a U-Turn/Volt Switch. Or you get lucky and things play out your way. I think you'll see a ton of DD-Nite's using Weakness Policy and then people will outplay the strat and it's uses will decline.

However, I think you're overstating things quite a bit. Are Azumarill and Togekiss everywhere right now? Probably. Fairies are a new hype, but they will fall in use as time goes on. However, given that you're countered by two pokemon doesn't mean you have a useless pokemon, just means that when you see them on Team Preview you need to not be playing stupid. Last gen Scizor wasn't dropped from teams because Magnezone could come in on Bullet Punch and then OHKO it in return.

Seeing as only two Fairies will probably become OU in the next gen you can just replace the usual FireClaw combo with ThunderClaw on Dragon Dance sets. It doesn't kill Dragonite and it doesn't make him "Worse". Dragonite is where Dragonite will always be: A powerful Pokemon that can run multiple sets, fit on multiple teams and is dangerous just because of the unpredictability of what it could be running.

I think the previous post hits the nail on the head with the last line. Dragonite has various new threats to contend with this gen, but as has always been arguably one of it's greatest strengths, it has such an absurdly large movepool that I'd wager it'll always manage to find some clever means of keeping itself at the very peak of competitive battling. A common theme that I've seen these last couple of weeks is people debating which dragons have suffered the most at the hands of the fairies and in spite of all the new negatives you could argue bring about the complete downfall of the type, people keep finding (or remembering) some good points in their favour. Dragonite seems to me to be no exception, with the flexibility to fit a team in any way you need, or the raw power to suit a team fit to set it up, I don't see a handful of new threats putting this blubbery beast down very far at all.

What about good ole choice band Dragonite? He is just simply too good to be ignored plus most fairies are special, so espeed is gonna hurt. Choice band thunderpunch doesn't sound too bad(does it?).....

Fairies are a new hype, but they will fall in use as time goes on. However, given that you're countered by two pokemon doesn't mean you have a useless pokemon, just means that when you see them on Team Preview you need to not be playing stupid. Last gen Scizor wasn't dropped from teams because Magnezone could come in on Bullet Punch and then OHKO it in return.
I strongly disagree with this one statement. These are not even remotely similar scenarios, and you are grossly overlooking how important coverage is (especially to a setup-sweeper like a DD'er, but to all pokemon really). Scizor didn't stop being used because it DOES have things to do if you predict Magnezone correctly (U-Turn/Brick Break/Super Power). Try using a pokemon like Jolteon and you will very quickly see just how bad it is when every time you see something even remotely similar to Blissey/Rotom/Mamosine/SoManyMore. Jolteon clearly demonstrates that if you can't do a significant chunk to something when you predict correctly then, sadly, your best move is to actually dry swap. This is a very painful risk/reward that is rarely in your favour, but it's simply the best option you have in these scenarios so it's still your 'correct' play if you read right. When you guess right all you get is a favourable matchup, when you guess wrong you lose an entire pokemon for nothing.

This is why Dragonite will most likely need a ThunderSomething. It's quite possible that the game radically changes in the next few months and for some reasons all Fairy types stop seeing usage, and in that case old DD Nite sets will be the most optimal. But going on what information has been presented to us thus far there seems no sign that the good Fairys are going anywhere but up in usage. Azumarill is seen on more and more teams every day not because it's new but because it's really good at answering a lot of stuff you need to answer this generation. If you bring Dragonite in to dodge an EQ or revenge kill or whatever good reason you have, and the other team has an Azumarill, you simply don't have a good play if you aren't packing ThunderSomething. You don't want to Outrage/DClaw/DD, so your best move is going to be EQ/ESpeed as they bring in Azumarill - and that is simply not a good enough option on average. If you predict right you land a plain EQ/ES on Azumarill, and then you basically have to swap out and she has a far better chance of hitting something for more than 100 base damage. You predict wrong in any of these scenarios and you lose far more than you stood to gain.

This isn't even something we haven't seen before, I think Gyrados DPP to BW is a really good subject case. In DPP Gyarados was an absolute monster with Waterdall/Return/Taunt/DD, because that set (and similar ones) wasn't really stopped by anything common in the metagame. Along comes BW and Ferrothorn is suddenly really popular, which the old Waterfall/Return and even EQ just doesn't do well enough against considering how often you have to face a Ferrothorn. As time goes on Gyarados learns that it has to run Bounce as that is simply it's best option to overcome this situation which keeps coming up time and time again. Gyarados with Waterfall/Bounce/Something/DD goes on to see usage throughout BW+BW2 and remains OU, but is nowhere near as popular as it was during DPP. Azumarill is to Dragonite as Ferrothorn was to Gyarados. Azumarill showing up everywhere doesn't mean Dragonite stops being played, because he has options similar to Bounce and can adapt. He will need to adapt though, and even then will decline in usage just as Gyarados did.

I don't even think ThunderSomething is a question at this point, I think the question is "ThunderSomething + 2 Attacks + DD" or "ThunderSomething + 3 Attacks Band/Specs/Scarf/LO/EBelt". (I am testing BandNite atm)

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
It just so happens the 2 popular Fairies, Azumarill and Togekiss, are weak to Electric. Dragonite can probably make some room on his sets for Thunderpunch, which hurts the two a lot if coming from +1 Attack.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Three attack DD Dragonite can deal with fairies just fine:

- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Iron Head / Thunderpunch
- Fire Punch / Fire Blast / Earthquake

If you use two attack DD Dragonite, you'll need Magnezone or MegaGengar support to enable sweeping.

For Dragonite's much-vaunted movepool, he lacks good physical flying stab or anything involving poison.

Last edited:
Where's the Multiscale Shuffler?
I put the BW strategydex page in a link since Dragonite has a ridiculous number of potential sets, and a lot of them haven't changed much. The Shuffler actually took a pretty significant hit to its effectiveness though, as now thunder wave can't paralyze electric types.

Also I forgot that Dragonite even got Iron Head in its physical movepool. Going to mess around a little with the new sets.

This set might be very nice for a standard Dragon Dance set with Leftover or Lum Berry:

-Dragon Dance
-Thunderpunch
-Earthquake
-Outrage

Last Generation, when I used Dragonite on a rain team, Earthquake took care of Steel-types just fine. Thunderpunch is mainly for Azumarill and Togekiss like a lot of people have said, and Dragon Dance+Outrage is basically for wecking everything else.

EDIT: Tested this set. Works great!

Last edited:
This set might be very nice for a standard Dragon Dance set with Leftover or Lum Berry:

-Dragon Dance
-Thunderpunch
-Earthquake
-Outrage

Last Generation, when I used Dragonite on a rain team, Earthquake took care of Steel-types just fine. Thunderpunch is mainly for Azumarill and Togekiss like a lot of people have said, and Dragon Dance+Outrage is basically for wecking everything else.

EDIT: Tested this set. Works great!
For Pokebank OU, why not

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy or Lum Berry
Multiscale
Adamant 252Atk/252Speed
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Superpower (instead of EQ)
-Thunderpunch

This way you wouldn't get walled by Ferrothorn, can Thunderpunch through Togekiss/Azumaril and can still hit Heatran for super effective. The only downside is that you're trading hitting Ferrothorn (which I assume is more common) for SE with hitting Jirachi for neutral

[This way you wouldn't get walled by Ferrothorn, can Thunderpunch through Togekiss/Azumaril and can still hit Heatran for super effective. The only downside is that you're trading hitting Ferrothorn (which I assume is more common) for SE with hitting Jirachi for neutral
We know nothing about the metagame yet, so no way to know about the popularity of Heatran or Jirachi. I personally don't like the drop from Superpower, and I don't think Dragonite got it last generation. Does it get it this Generation?

And also, Earthquake hits Mawile better anyway.

Fairies will be a big pain for Dragonite, but not an insurmountable one. It won't even need ThunderPunch; as others have mentioned, Iron Head will work fine.

Weakness Policy is vastly overrated imo because all good players generally U-turn or use waterfall/scald/something to feint not having ice beam while breaking multiscale, then ice beam/dragon claw to kill once it's broken (meaning Weakness Policy doesn't do anything). Or of course there are several STAB Dragon/Ice moves that kill right through multiscale (again meaning Weakness Policy does nothing for you).

I agree with your second point.
However, your first point I completely disagree with. You say that Weakness Policy (WP) doesn't do anything because good players won't attack with Ice Beams or Ice Shards, which may be true. If so, that's a huge plus for Dragonite in general. You are saying that the right move is to not use super effective moves against a multiscale dragonite. What non super effective move are you planning on using? This thing was tough to take down even with Ice Beam in gen 5. WP is an excellent item for D-Nite because it deters the use of effective moves. That's my opinion.

Fairies will be a big pain for Dragonite, but not an insurmountable one. It won't even need ThunderPunch; as others have mentioned, Iron Head will work fine.
Without Thunderpunch Dnite is walled by Skarmory. Iron head doesn't necessarily add SE coverage other than the two presumably OU fairies, Togekiss and Azu who were hit SE by Thunderpunch anyway. So yeah a Dragonite now had 4MSS, it can't beat Skarmory, Heatran, Rachi, Ferrothorn, Togekiss, and Azumarril at the same time reliably (also this not including ESpeed, which is necessary for revenge killers like Latios and Mamoswine).

However all is not lost, that's what the other 5 guys in your team are for

Iron Head is neutral against Azumarill, while Thunderpunch is SE against it AND TOGEKISS. Dragonite can't even touch Skarm without Thunderpunch.
it can't beat Skarmory, Heatran, Rachi, Ferrothorn, Togekiss, and Azumarril at the same time reliably (also this not including ESpeed, which is necessary for revenge killers like Latios and Mamoswine).
Earthquake takes care of Heatran and Raichu. The only real problem is Ferrothorn, but I'm sure it isn't impossible to KO that thing with Earthquake, which also reliably hits Mawile. Superpower is fine, if you have a way to take care of Mawile, or if your team kills that thing easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)