Dragons of Generation 5

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As you may have guessed by the title of this discussion thread, it is about the fearsome dragon types of Generation 5 and how they will affect the various metagames of the fourth generation. I’m guessing that just like Garchomp, Latias, Salamence, and Dragonite which had literally shaped their tier around them, the new dragons generation 5 brings us will do the same devastation to the new competitive metagames of OU, Uber and even UU. Here’s a list of the various dragon types from the fifth generation and a small description to go with each of them:

(This will be the format in which each of the dragon types will be listed and discussed in the OP)
# Pokemon Number: Name (Typing)
Base Stats (HP/ Atk/ Def/ SpA/ SpD/ Spe)
Abilities
A small Description

The List of the Fearsome 5th Generation Dragons

# 612: Ononokusu (Dragon)
76/ 147/ 90/ 60/ 70/ 97
Rivalry/ Mold Breaker
Probably the Pokemon that almost everyone playing Pokemon around the world are psyched about, Ononokusu has a lot more in terms of ferocity than just a badass looking sprite. With a humongous base 147 Atk stat coupled up with a over- average base 97 speed stat, its almost assured that Ononokusu will wreak the same fear as Garchomp did when it was OU. But unlike Garchomp, Ononokusu has access to both swords dance and dragon dance.

# 621: Kurimugan (Dragon)
77/ 120/ 90/ 60/ 90/ 48
Rough Skin/ Encourage/ Mold Breaker (Dream World)
One of the dragons in the 5th Generation Pokemon players are not really psyched to see, especially after taking a glance at Ononokusu which has significantly higher base offensive stats. Though Kurimungan does seem to be inferior than its rival dragon, it might be quite useful as it also has access to Superpower which is unique to the Dragon type as only Dragonite could obtain back in Gen 4.

# 635: Sazando (Dragon/ Dark)
92/ 105/ 90/ 125/ 90/ 98
Levitate
The first dragon type ever to have a secondary Dark typing, Sazando, definably is a Pokemon to be excited about. With a base 125 SpA attack and a base 105 Atk stat with decent speed and exceptional bulk, Sazondo might become one of the most used Pokemon in the tier it gets put into. But unfortunately, without access to any stat boosting moves (as stated by Serebii.net), Sazando’s usefulness will become awfully limited.

# 643: Reshiram (Dragon/ Fire)
100/ 120/ 100/ 150/ 120/ 90
Turbo Blaze
The first of the two cover Pokemon of Pokemon Black and White Versions, Reshiram is nothing to laugh about after looking at its stat layout. A base 150 SpA stat, a base 120 Atk stat, decent speed and bulk and its unique typing – Dragon/ Fire, Reshiram has won the hearts of battlers all over the world. Though the effect of Reshiram’s ability, Turbo Blaze is unknown, it is still something to look forward to hearing about as its name does make it sound exceptionally cool.

# 644: Zekrom (Dragon/ Electric)
100/ 150/ 120/ 120/ 100/ 90
Terra Voltage
The Black Yin Pokemon. Just like its counterpart, Reshiram, Zekrom has a unique typing – Dragon/ Electric; but unlike the White Yang Pokemon, Zekrom’s offensive base stat layout is basically the opposite of Reshiram’s. While its counterpart has a base 150 SpA stat and a base 120 Atk stat, Zekrom has a base 150 Atk stat and a base 120 SpA stat so it will wreak the same havoc Reshiram will, but only on the other side of the offensive spectrum.

# 646: Kyuremu (Dragon/ Ice)
125/ 130/ 90/ 130/ 90/ 95
Pressure
Say hello to my personal favourite of the 5th generation, the only Pokemon with an Ice/ Dragon typing. With both offensive stats sharing a base 130 stat and a base 95 speed stat (Outspeeding both Reshiram and Zekrom), Kyuremu will probably be seen as a mixed attacker since there aren’t any stat boosting moves to be seen in its arsenal yet.

List of Older Generation Dragon Types (Fully Evolved)
Code:
#149: Dragonite (Dragon/ Flying)
91/ 134/ 95/ 100/ 100/ 80
Inner Focus

#230: Kingdra (Water/ Dragon)
75/ 95/ 95/ 95/ 95/ 85
Swift Swim/ Sniper/ Damp (Dream World)

#330: Flygon (Ground/ dragon)
80/ 100/ 80/ 80/ 80/ 100
Levitate

#334: Altaria (Dragon/ Flying)
75/ 70/ 90/ 70/ 105/ 80
Natural Cure/ Cloud Nine (Dream World)

#373: Salamence (Dragon/ Flying)
95 / 135/ 80/ 110/ 80 / 100
Initmidate

#380: Latias (Dragon/ Psychic)
80/ 80/ 90/ 110/ 130/ 110
Levitate

#381: Latios (Dragon Psychic)
80/ 90/ 80/ 130/ 110/ 110
Levitate

#384: Rayquaza (Dragon/ Flying)
105/ 150/ 90/ 150/ 90/ 95

#444: Garchomp (Dragon/ Ground)
108/ 130/ 95/ 80/ 85/ 102
Sand Veil/ Rough Skin (Dream World)

#483: Dialga (Steel/ Dragon)
100/ 120/ 120/ 150/ 100/ 90
Pressure

#484: Palkia (Water/ Steel)
90/ 120/ 100/ 150/ 120/ 100
Pressure

#487: Giratina (Ghost/ Dragon)
150/ 100/ 120/ 100/ 120/ 90
Pressure

#487: Giratina-O (Ghost/ Dragon)
150/ 120/ 100/ 120/ 100/ 90
Pressure

#493: Arceus-Dragon Form (Dragon)
120/ 120/ 120/ 120/ 120/ 120
Multitype
So yeah, those were the dragon types, the 5th generation offers and my interpretation of them all. So please post with your opinion on these fearsome Dragons and let me know what you personally think they will be able to accomplish at the competitive Pokemon scene!

No doubt that dragons will end up playing a HUGE role again. Unless there is some change to type mechanics making dragon resisted by more types, they will definitely be heavily relied upon to handle the onslaught of weather teams to come.

Being primarily an ubers player, I can not wait to see the impact of these new dragons on the metagame.

mien

Tournament Banned
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Outrage: Physical Dragon PP: 10 Power: 120 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: If this attack is successful, the effect begins. Effect lasts for two or three rounds, including the current round. During effect, user uses this attack during each of its turns and can't take any other action. [When user uses this attack this way during the last round of the effect, it becomes confused at the end of that round], unless it's already confused. Effect ends without causing confusion if this attack's type is ineffective against opponent's types [before the last round of the effect], if user is prevented from using this attack, or when user falls asleep, becomes frozen, or is replaced [before the last round of the effect]. If user is asleep, this attack deals damage and lasts one turn (doesn't cause confusion).
If I understand the bolded part correctly Outrage won't cause anymore confusion against steel types. Not to mention that the outrage user isn't locked anymore either.

If this is true, dragons will be far more powerfull then ever

Yeah dragons will be awesome this gen, as always. However, I am not too sure if they will be as nearly as gamebreaking as some expect them to be. For example, I am not too sure if Ononokusu will be as good as Garchomp of gen 4 or 5. I loved Garchomp for the awesome typing (stab earthquake is also freaking awesome, not to mention ground type was good defensively). Though, I do like the fact that Ononokusu is getting DD. As for the Dragon Trios, I am very certain that they won't be as "powerful" as...say Kyogre and Groudon. I do see them being fantastic additions to the Groudon team (fire dragon) and in/against Kyogre's team (electric dragon's stab electric attacks are going to give kyogre a world of pain).

Is there any word on whether there is a tutor teaching draco meteor? Because if there is, Sazando can be a nice upgrade from the SpecsMence that was used so much in early DP. I don't know how much staying power it will have, though, as it might have the same issues against dedicated special walls that specsMence had. Where might I be able to find these dragons' TM learn sets, so that I can analyze them more effectively?

Wow if thats true thats really kinda annoying. :/

# 635: Sazando (Dragon/ Dark)

^This thing looks more threatening than Ononokusu imo. Not only because of its mix attacking stats but, that bulk..jeez lol

Cathy

Banned deucer.
If I understand the bolded part correctly Outrage won't cause anymore confusion against steel types. Not to mention that the outrage user isn't locked anymore either.
I'm not sure what you mean by the last sentence. The part that says "During effect, user uses this attack during each of its turns and can't take any other action" is talking about being locked in. However, the first part is the generation 4 mechanics as well (note that "ineffective" means the target is immune, not just resistant). I don't know off hand if this is correct in Shoddy Battle 1, although it's correct in the new simulator.

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Where might I be able to find these dragons' TM learn sets, so that I can analyze them more effectively?
Well if I'm correct, Serebii has the best up to date information about Black and White and even Serebii doesn't have the TM learn sets of many Pokemon in B/W so I guess you'll have to wait until a site gets access to that information.

I believe from the context its referring to the likes of Protect. Could be wrong, but seems to say that, not to mention how borken it is elsewise.

I can't see a single fully evolved Dragon being in the lower tiers if this turns out true.

Who was the translator??

I do thing that they will have quite a impact. however, Scizor once again come to the rescue and can serve as a decent check to most if they want to try to dragon dance, or swords dance. Sazando is definitely one of my favorite, the specs versions could be deadly.

mien

Tournament Banned
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not sure what you mean by the last sentence. The part that says "During effect, user uses this attack during each of its turns and can't take any other action" is talking about being locked in. However, the first part is the generation 4 mechanics as well (note that "ineffective" means the target is immune, not just resistant). I don't know off hand if this is correct in Shoddy Battle 1, although it's correct in the new simulator.
Thanks for clearing this up to me. Seeing as there is (or maybe was) no pokemon typing immune to outrage i assumed it meant resistance.

Aerrow said:
Though the effect of Reshiram’s ability, Turbo Blaze is unknown
This is unconfirmed, but I've heard TurboBlaze and TerraVoltage are new versions of Mold Breaker. I think I heard that on this forum, actually.

So, perfect STAB coverage for Reshiram, anyone?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Aerrow, please don't hotlink to images on other Pokemon websites. Their bandwidth is theirs. They don't need us increasing their server load. Upload the image to a website like imgur or tinypic.

Wichu, the user who posted that list of moves/effects, later stated that all effect descriptions were based on how the moves worked in generation 4.

We don't actually know the exact details of how Outrage's side effects, or pretty much any other move for that matter, work yet in gen 5.

If that turns out to be true........ fuck. Too many dragons. Kyogre's popularity will skyrocket so that teams will at least have a bit of insurance when swapping in steel types.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Ononkusu is going to rip things apart- if he manages to get a Dragon Dance off. With his frailness, that is going to be very difficult. Not to Mention Swift Swim, Chlorophyll, and Sand Throw Pokemon will out speed him even after a Dragon Dance(or maybe 2) He's is getting way overhyped IMO.

The Next Dragon doesn't seem that great. It looks like he'll end up like Altaria and be bound to UU. Don't really see a reason to use him in OU.

The Dark/Dragon would be the threat to watch out for IMO. Bulky enough to take hits, has high Sp.Atk to hit back, and nice speed, out pacing Ononokusu by 1 Point. 125 Sp.Atk Draco Meteor anyone?

The amount of new dragons in B+W makes 4drag2mag look even more appealing. After the counters(read: Steels) are removed it is quite hard to stop a win. Sazando could even let Draco be used instead, or alongside of, outrage with that base 120 special attack.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I personally think that Kyuremu will be more useful than Ononokusu. The incredible ability to attack mixed, while retaining that amazing bulk, makes it basically Mixmence^5. I'm going to be very scared of it. However, I'm a little disappointed about Reshiram and Zekrom's base stats-it looks like Gamefreak just decided to give it 150 base in one stat, 120 in two, and 100/100/90 in the other three, just like Dialga/Palkia :(. Anyway, the lack of 4x weaknesses on any of these means that they will be more difficult to kill than 4th gen, so it's quite possible that many of these Dragons will go Uber. However powerful they are, I'm looking forward to the variety of Dragons in this new generation.

I predict Kurimagan and Sazando to stay in OU, or maybe even fall into UU/BL. The rest of them are clearly Uber.
you are seriously underestimating this thing. If it gets draco meteor its gonna tear shit up even worse than latias did (plus the pursuit resistance). People don't realize how good of a typing dragon/dark with levitate is. Entry hazards don't do much to it and grass, fire, water, electric, ghost, dark, and ground are all great resistances to have. there's no way in hell it will ever end up as UU/BL, even if it doesn't end up getting draco meteor.

Aerrow

hunter
I personally think that Kyuremu will be more useful than Ononokusu. The incredible ability to attack mixed, while retaining that amazing bulk, makes it basically Mixmence^5. I'm going to be very scared of it. However, I'm a little disappointed about Reshiram and Zekrom's base stats-it looks like Gamefreak just decided to give it 150 base in one stat, 120 in two, and 100/100/90 in the other three, just like Dialga/Palkia :(. Anyway, the lack of 4x weaknesses on any of these means that they will be more difficult to kill than 4th gen, so it's quite possible that many of these Dragons will go Uber. However powerful they are, I'm looking forward to the variety of Dragons in this new generation.
Woot, another Kyuremu fan! I also, personally think Kyerumu with its higher speed and ability to be a mixed attacker outclasses Reshiram and Zekrom in that specific role. But that's just me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)