Drifblim (Heat Rampage)

Drifblim
Ghost/Flying

Stats: HP: 150 Atk: 80 Def: 44 SpA: 90 SpD: 54 Def: 80

Abilities:
Unburden
Speed increases when an item is used or lost.
Aftermath
Deals 25% damage when KOed by contact damage.
Heat Rampage
When it's burnt the power of its special attack rises (from Serebii)

Moves:
By Level Up:
v1: Constrict, Lv1: Minimize, Lv1: Astonish, Lv1: Gust, Lv6: Astonish, Lv11: Gust, Lv14: Focus Energy, Lv17: Payback, Lv22: [M506], Lv27: Stockpile, Lv32: Swallow, Lv32: Spit Up, Lv37: Ominous Wind, Lv44: Baton Pass, Lv51: Shadow Ball, Lv56: Explosion

By Egg:
Memento
Body Slam
Destiny Bond
Disable
Haze
Hypnosis
Weather Ball
[M499]Clear Smog
Defog

By TM:
TM04 - Calm Mind, TM06 - Toxic, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM11 - Sunny Day, TM15 - Hyper Beam, TM17 - Protect, TM18 - Rain Dance, TM19 - Telekinesis, TM21 - Frustration, TM24 - Thunderbolt, TM25 - Thunder, TM27 - Return, TM29 - Psychic, TM30 - Shadow Ball, TM32 - Double Team, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM46 - Thief, TM48 - Troll, TM57 - Charge Beam, TM61 - Will-O-Wisp, TM62 - Acrobat, TM63 - Embargo, TM64 - Explosion, TM66 - Payback, TM68 - Giga Impact, TM70 - Flash, TM73 - Thunder Wave, TM74 - Gyro Ball, TM77 - Psych Up, TM85 - Dream Eater, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute, HM01 - Cut, HM02 - Fly

Commentary:

I couldn't resist the Magnet Pull of this subforum.

So, while Speed Boost Blaziken and the like are taking this subforum by storm (well, kinda), some of the overshadowed abilities on overshadowed Pokémon have been, well, overshadowed. I saw a thread on Zangoose's newfound Poison Rampage and did a quick search to see if the other Rampage-Heat Rampage-already had a thread. It didn't. So I guess it's my turn to make an offering to the Theorymon gods.

In case you don't know, Heat Rampage increases Special Attack by an unspecified amount when Drifblim (he and Drifloon are the only Pokémon to get this ability). Now while 'Blim isn't seen a whole lot in standard play due to being an underpowered Gengar and inferior BPer in Standard (I've never seen him there but snooping around on the forums makes me believe he's used occasionally and his analysis defines him as a good Substitute passer). However, he is credited with having Unburden, which is a handy ability (it can't be BP'd though, which is a shame). With Heat Rampage, his Special Attack is boosted from 306 to 459 (Max-stat-wise, and assuming this ability raises SpA by 50%). It's nowhere near Gengar standards, but his bulk in HP and his stat-boosting options could make for fun, if not gimmicky, sets for those who would rather use a rampaging hot air balloon than a... sneaky shadow bastard.

Seeing as I'm among a crowd of higher knowledge on this than me, and that I've rambled too much, what is the community's opinion on Heat Rampage?

Sets:
Seeing as this thread is more about a single Pokémon and a single new ability rather than Pokémon's potential role in the upcoming metagame, this thread is intended to be more open to interpretation. But if you really want a moveset, here's something a came up with off the top of my head (not too familiar with this guy, so it's probably faulty):

Drifblim @Flame Orb
Ability: Heat Rampage
Nature: Modest
EVs: 144 Def / 252 SpA / 60 SpD / 52 Spe (Copypasta'd from the on-site Sweeper set)
Calm Mind/Substitute
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power Fighting/Thunderbolt
Trick

The exisence of this set hinges on wether Drifblim will be able to learn Trick in Gen V or not via move tutor, so if he doesn't, then this set is irrelevant. If it does exist, then this set accomplishes mostly the same role as the on-site set: Sweeping with a (HP-wise) bulky Special Attacker as a sort of gimped Gengar. However, the set's gimmick (or even selling point, depending on how effective this can be) is Trick. Trick will allow 'Blim to get his burn, then pass it off to a physical attacker while living out the rest of his life firing off Shadow Balls and the like. Hey, you might even get Lefties or something else worthwhile from the Trick. And besides, the mental image of a flaming, angry Drifblim is rather funny.

I think using Drifblim on a Sun team could be quite viable as well. A simple set of Drifblim@Flame Orb + Shadow Ball / Weather Ball / Calm Mind / Explosion would have excellent coverage, bulk that Gengar would kill for, and Explosion to distinguish it from Shandaraa. Ghost + Water also works decently, so running it in a Rain Team is also viable.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I think using Drifblim on a Sun team could be quite viable as well. A simple set of Drifblim@Flame Orb + Shadow Ball / Weather Ball / Calm Mind / Explosion would have excellent coverage, bulk that Gengar would kill for, and Explosion to distinguish it from Shandaraa. Ghost + Water also works decently, so running it in a Rain Team is also viable.
Flame Orb burn would halve your already paltry Attack stat making Explosion do laughable damage. Thunderbolt or another special attack would be much better options.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
don't see the use of Heat Rampage. Personally I would rather have Leftovers and use CM + Sub than losing health every turn thanks to Burn Orb.

don't see the use of Heat Rampage. Personally I would rather have Leftovers and use CM + Sub than losing health every turn thanks to Burn Orb.
Well, depends on the rise in SpAtkl, obviously. But only Drifblim gets this ability and GF has done well in making things "capable", so we'll see...

i think unbudren is just generally a better ability IMO. Blim can get a speed boost, while boosting with CM, vs. Just a SpA boost, and less survivabilty. Which would you prefer?

Heat Rampage
combined with .... a flame orb and....
¨
[M506]: Ghost Special PP: 10 Power: 50 / Accuracy: 100
Power 100 if target has status condition

This should be fun...

A 150 STAB base power with a (x1.5) boost.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Heat Rampage
combined with .... a flame orb and....
¨
[M506]: Ghost Special PP: 10 Power: 50 / Accuracy: 100
Power 100 if target has status condition

This should be fun...

A 150 STAB base power with a (x1.5) boost.
The description says "if target (opponent) has status condition". It does not work like Facade.

What's the point in boosting Drifblim's SpA one stage when you could otherwise boost it's Speed two stages? Drifblim's bulky enough to take a hit, so you could CM against fast opponents that lack SE attacks, and substitute against slower ones. If you have a petaya berry as your item, even one CM would give you +1 SpD, +2 SpA and +2 Speed, making him an absolute monster. You can literally sweep UU with this guy until you hit an Aqua Jet / Bullet Punch.

Noble Cactus said:
In case you don't know, Heat Rampage increases Special Attack by an unspecified amount when Drifblim. Now while 'Blim isn't seen a whole lot in standard play due to being an underpowered Gengar and inferior BPer in Standard.
OP was really annoying to read.

Anyways, I doubt Drifblim will get much usage, even in UU. He was already mediocre before, and it almost seems like everything got buffed to hell, while Drifblim barely got anything.

I think this is the best way to abuse Heat Rampage, but with Memento or HP Fighting rather than Explosion.

Flame Orb burn would halve your already paltry Attack stat making Explosion do laughable damage.
To add to that Explosion was nerfed this gen in that it no longer halves defense on impact anymore. Effectively means Explosion only has half its original power this gen.

I could burn it and get a x1 special attack boost. Or I could use a Petaya and get x1 spec attk and x2 speed, thanks to Unburden. Chesto Calm Mind Rest is also better, as you can heal up, while still getting your boosts in.

I don't see much use of Heat Rampage on Drifblim.

Does it still lose HP when it's burnt? Or does it act like poison heal and Guts?
With guts you still lose hp. Yes you lose hp, but it is essentially used as a life orb here anyway, and if anything its better because it give you pseudo status immunity.
I could burn it and get a x1 special attack boost. Or I could use a Petaya and get x1 spec attk and x2 speed, thanks to Unburden. Chesto Calm Mind Rest is also better, as you can heal up, while still getting your boosts in.

I don't see much use of Heat Rampage on Drifblim.
And 1%hp to go along with it and the boost goes away when you switch. Oh yeah and it is ruined by priority. Not the same that's a set up sweeper this is a constant boost.

@Golemguy: Yes, most likely

I think Unburden is arguably more useful, as has been stated by many in this thread. Heat Rampage has its uses but if it cant get Trick then it'll be limited.

REALLY sounds like special Heracross.
What I mean is, it will certainly pull off some great damage with Heat Rampage, but the speed will be a major letdown.

I'd rather go with Unburden if I were to use Drifblim. I can just use up Drifblim's item and get a(n) (unpassable Speed boost) and use Calm Mind to boost its Special Attack. The burn can also take its toll on Drifblim without Wish support.

I'm kind of annoyed drifblim didn't get a better ability >_>. In itself the ability is good, but since drifblim has lackluster speed and no way of boosting other than unburden which doesn't couple with heat rampage, he won't be able to get both the speed and the spA he needs to do damage. On the other hand, he does work well in baton pass chains, but those are somewhat gimmicky.

Am I the only one thinking of an insane combo between Red Card, entry hazards, Unburden, and Recycle?
Crossed my mind once but then I realized Drifblim can't pull it off without recovery. His only ways of recovery is Pain Split which is laughable at best and Sitrus Berry + Recycle which conflicts with red card.

Instead of a one-time sweeper, a trick+heat rampage drifblim would have consistently high special attack to use wall breaking, and would make a great partner to chansey in UU. Drifblim could burn troublesome physical attackers for chansey while chansey provides wish to recover health drifblim lost while burnt. Obviously they also have good type synergy together. Drifblim could muscle through some of the less bulky walls in UU such as clefable and lanturn (correct me if im wrong in saying lanturn isnt that bulky) too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)