Encore it up Clefable (=... A UU RMT

KK so this has been my UU team on shoddy for quite awhile and for good reason, too... it wins the majority of its battles... It loses maybe 1-3 times every 10 or so games, but it also depends on whom I am playing as well. Plus, now that Raikou and Froslass have been banished to BL, this team's performance has exceeded any of my previous team's performance and is doing very well currently. However, all teams have flaws, and it would be nice if you guys could help me out a bit. Please, though, don't post stupid crap like "Oh this Pokémon looks cooler than that so use it instead" because I will most likely ignore you. So, yeah...

Team building process​

So once upon a time I was browsing the Smogon Forums and I cam across a pretty cool Houndoom Set. At the time, the Dugtrio/Raikou combination was very popular, with Dugtio trapping the threats that Raikou had a hard time with such as Chansey and Registeel. This Houndoom Set took advantage of this and instead of having a specific hidden power in the last move slot, it ran Sucker Punch with 100 Attack EVs and a Hasty Nature to guarantee the OHKO on Dugtrio after Stealth Rock damage so it could proceed to wreck havoc on the opponent's team. I kind of wanted to base my team around this pokemon, so Houndoom was obviously a no-brainer.

Looking at Houndoom's struggle to beat Bulky Waters, ability to lure in water attacks, and trait - Flash Fire, I noticed that Toxicroak was a great partner, being able to set up on pokemon like Milotic and Azumarill and also sweep itself. At first I tried out a Swords Dance set, but after I played a bit and noticed my team was a bit weak to stall teams, I realized that the Nasty Plot variant was superior, being able to lure in pokemon like Donphan with ease and dispatch it with Hidden Power [Ice].

At this point I had a glaring weakness to ground type pokemon, especially since I was lacking any sort of strong grass or water type attack. I also wanted to eventually form the Water-Fire-Grass defensive core that works wonders in UU. Because of this, Torterra was added. He also gives me powerful physical attacks, as Toxicroak and Houndoom aren't physical attackers themselves.

As I mentioned before, I would like to have the Water-Fire-Grass defensive core in this team. I also knew that Torterra's 4* ice weakness would be a pain, so I needed a water type now more than ever. I really did not want a pokemon like Slowbro or Milotic as seeing as this team is leaning more on the offensive side it would just slow down my offensive momentum. Azumarill is the definition of powerful, bulky water, so he was added.

Now I have the majority of my team put together... I noticed that I needed a Stealth Rock user and a reliable lead. I soon found that Mesprit was a great offensive and bulky lead in the UU meta-game who can set up Stealth Rock. It also provides scouting support with U-Turn and helps out with the ground weakness a whole lot.
Mesprit has since been replaced with Uxie

To be completely honest right now, I was completely lost as to what pokemon I wanted to place in the last slot... I read multiple analysis's on Smogon but I really wasn't quite sure with anything. Eventually I was reading a Clefable analysis, and the Encore set looked intriguing... I figured I may as well try it out, and if it didn't do it for me I would test out another random pokemon and so on and so forth... However, Clefable's support has proven to be invaluable against Baton Pass teams, Stall Teams, Stat Boosters, Special Attackers etc... Clefable is what makes my team work, providing a defensive pivot when I need a safe switch, Thunderwave support for my slow Pokémon, and an overall extra awesomeness factor to the team. I have never looked back.

Moveset Time c(=

Uxie @ Leftovers
Impish Nature... +Defense, -Special Attack
252 HP / 252 Defense / 4 Attack (Speed IV of 30)
~Stealth Rock
~Yawn
~U-Turn
~Zen Headbutt

The Speed IV of Uxie is 30 so that when opposing Uxies use U-Turn I can scout their switch and respond accordingly, giving me an advantage.
I decided to choose Zen Headbutt over Psychic for a few reasons... I play tested Psychic and it did not do much to other leads who typically have lower defense than special defense, and there are quite a few of them. Also, against Pokémon like Mismagius, a common Uxie switch in, Psychic could not break its substitute with Psychic, but can with Zen Headbutt. Last, it makes U-Turn have a bit more power when not forced to run a Bold Nature.
Yawn + U-Turn makes Uxie a great scout and when the opponent does not switch after a yawn it gives Azumarill, Houndoom and Toxicroak one turn to set up. Overall, a great and reliable lead that can even come back in later in the game to counter many Pokémon.

Houndoom @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature... +Speed, -Def
100 Attack / 252 Speed / 158 Sp. Attack
Flash Fire
~Nasty Plot
~Fire Blast
~Dark Pulse
~Sucker Punch

Not many people see sucker punch coming when they switch in their Alakazam, Dugtrio, Sceptile, Swellow etc... to revenge kill my Houndoom. The Hasty Nature is so my attack nor my special attack doesn't get cut by a Timid or Jolly nature. He won't survive any physical hits bar rapid spin or bullet punch anyways, so it really does not hurt Houndoom at all. If need be, he can even survive a weak special hit with his 196 Special Defense... slightly above average for a sweeper. Fire Blast is > Flamethrower in my opinion... I'm not going to show Calcs, but there are definitely many kills you get with Fire Blast that you wouldn't get with Flamethrower, and the occasional miss is not too much of a problem considering I have teammates to revenge kill... two of whom have priority.

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Modest Nature... +Sp. Attack, -Attack
4 HP / 252 Speed / 252 Sp. Attack
Dry Skin
~Nasty Plot
~Sludge Bomb
~Vacuum Wave
~Hidden Power [Ice]

Ah... One of stall's greatest fears. Switch in on a Milotic's Surf, set up a Nasty Plot on the switch to a physical wall, and proceed to wreck havoc until life orb takes its toll or until you are forced to switch out. Toxicroak has great synergy with Houndoom. Houndoom takes the fire and psychic attacks directed at toxicroak with impunity and Toxicroak in return takes some of the weaker fighting attacks and all water attacks directed at Houndoom. Some of the options I am considering for the last slot instead of Hidden Power [Ice] are Focus Blast and Dark Pulse. Ghosts pretty much wall me with the set I have right now, and Sludge Bomb as a STAB move sometimes does not always cut it with its terrible type coverage. If you have any suggestions, feel free to suggest

The Modest Nature is there instead of timid because mostly all of the threats that out speed me because I run a Modest Nature are taken care of by Vacuum Wave after a Nasty Plot. The only pokemon that makes me consider Timid is Jolly Venusaur, but I don't see him as much as I used to and Toxicroak really appreciates the extra power with a Modest Nature.

Torterra @ Leftovers
Impish Nature... +Def, -Sp. Attack
184 HP / 72 Attack / 252 Def
~Earthquake
~Wood Hammer
~Stone Edge
~Synthesis

That's right... Not your typical "Rock Polish and attempt a sweep" Torterra. I find that this variant of Torterra still puts on the offensive pressure and is a great team player, supporting the team with Leech Seed and its ability to constantly switch into stong physical attacks with his 339 Defense and 377 HP. Some of you may say... "Why are you running Wood Hammer on a defensive Pokémon when it is supposed to survive?"
I think you would actually be surprised how little recoil adds up on this Torterra when it has Leech Seed, Leftovers, and Synthesis to be completely honest. The 72 Attack EVs allow me to 2HKO Max/Max Slowbro with Wood Hammer 100% of the time with Stealth Rock down (which Mesprit easily accomplishes) and 91.72% of the time without Stealth Rock (if it has leftovers... but come on, what Slowbro doesn't have leftovers). The 252 Def EVs give me great bulk, and the rest are thrown into HP for more survivability. Obviously there are 252 Def EVs instead of HP EVs because it allows for more Leech Seed recovery. Synthesis rounds off the set, giving me a reliable healing move.
Torterra also gives Houndoom a Flash Fire boost every now and then, being a Will-O-Wisp and Fire Blast Magnet.
Leech Seed has been replaced by Stone Edge because half of the time I use Leech Seed, I usually have to be forced out by a Moltres. Therefore giving my team one more opportunity to not have to face this thing when I time a Stone Edge well is very beneficial.

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature... +Attack, -Sp. Attack
252 HP / 240 Attack / 16 Speed
Huge Power
~Substitute
~Aqua Jet
~Focus Punch
~Ice Punch

My team's bulky water... works wonders against many teams. I chose Ice Punch in the last slot over Waterfall due to the fact that Venusaur loves to switch in and wall me, as does Altaria. The 252 HP EVs allow me to create 101 HP Substitutes, which, when coupled with the 16 speed EVs that allow me to outspeed 4 Speed EV Chansey and Registeel, allows them to be unbreakable by said Pokémon's Seismic Tosses... Therefore I can Sub up in their face, take the Seismic Toss, and Focus Punch away.

Clefable @ Flame Orb
Careful Nature... +Sp. Def, -Sp. Attack
252 HP / 152 Def / 4 Speed / 100 Sp. Def
Magic Guard
~Encore
~Softboiled
~Seismic Toss
~Thunderwave

The Flame Orb helps me absorb Paralysis and Sleep moves directed at my other pokemon, in case any of you were wondering. The Smogon analysis page never really specified what the purpose of the 152 Def and 100 Sp. Def EVs were, but they have worked so far so I'm not really all that concerned about that. However, the 4 Speed EVs allow me to outspeed Weezing, Porygon2, and Lapras so I can Encore their support moves. Thunderwave is a great supporting move and helps ease prediction when using Encore because I can see what move they used last, and then move 1st the next turn to Encore it. Seismic Toss is the best attacking move Clefable has at its disposal, 3HKOing most things with Stealth Rock support, and 4HKOing almost everything else.

So Yeah, hope this was an enjoyable read for you guys

One Last Glance...

Previous Members...

Mesprit @ Leftovers
Bold Nature... +Def, -Attack
252 HP / 72 Def / 24 Speed / 160 Sp. Attack
~Stealth Rock
~Psychic
~Grass Knot
~U-Turn

Before you say "Wow, this guy is retarded... those EVs make no sense..." there is a reason that they are what they are. The 252 HP EVs give me great survivability paired with my excellent 105/105 Base Defenses. The 24 Speed EVs allow me to outspeed the standard 8 speed EV Milotic and pokemon such as Aggron who have EVs to outspeed Miotic by 1 point. I sit at 202 Speed with these EVs. The 160 Sp. Attack EVs allow me to OHKO the standard Rhyperior lead with Grass Knot and the rest are tossed into Defense to enhance my survivability when switching in on things like Close Combat directed at Clefable and Houndoom. The moveset is fairly self-explanatory... Stealth Rock because every team needs to have them, Psychic for a powerful STAB move, Grass Knot for lead Kabutops, Omastar, Cloyster, and Rhyperior, and U-Turn to scout. Many times I set up Stealth Rock and U-Turn away as they switch to Registeel, only to be set up on by my Sub-Punch Azumarill hehehe...

This is the longest rate I've ever done, so bear with me. To begin, I have to admit that this is a very well-built team. Your Pokemon cover each other's weaknesses well, while still balancing out the roles. I can definitely see why you have been doing so well. However, I do see a couple of issues that you might run into. The first problem is status. This might not seem like a problem, but it can turn against you. Even though your status blocker is Clefable, it requires Clefable to have been out at least for one turn. Otherwise, Clefable will be hit with something like paralysis, which prevents Flame Orb from activating. Also, if Clefable is down, then you have no other way of preventing status except by switching in something that already has a Status condition. One suggestion I have is to put Heal Bell on Clefable. It's tricky finding a spot for it, but it might do well to go over Thunder Wave, although this might not work too well. However, this doesn't apply to Will-o-Wisp, because you have Houndoom for that. The second issue is entry hazards, not only Stealth Rock, but also Spikes and Toxic Spikes. You do not have a Spinner to take care of these, which can cause problems. Another suggestion I have is Claydol, who can sweep away the entry hazards, while laying down its own. Like Heal Bell on Clefable, I must admit that it's hard to find which one should be replaced by Claydol. If you do decide to use Claydol, it might be better if you replace Mesprit, but I'm not completely sure about its effectiveness. As for Pokemon threats, it's hard to find one, but the one that could pose the most problems for your team would be Drapion. The Defensive version with Earthquake can pose many problems, because it can lay down Toxic Spikes, which poses problems for your team, since your only way of clearing them is Toxicroak, which is threatened by Earthquake. Additionally, Earthquake, along with Crunch, would give it Super Effective moves against three of your members (Mesprit, Houndoom, and Toxicroak). However, the most dangerous kind is the Swords Dance version. Crunch, Earthquake, and Ice Fang combine to inflict Super Effective damage on four members (the three listed earlier, along with Torterra), while Swords Dance boosts its Attack to very high levels, allowing it to threaten Clefable and Azumarill. Fortunately for you, I have not seen many Drapion recently, although it might just be me. Still, this is a very well built team, and I hope that it does well in future battles!

Thanks for the rate :)

To be honest, although I praise Clefable many times in my RMT, it is the most replacable member of my team because it was the last one added and really didn't serve any specific purpose... It was just thrown in and it preforms well. I will test a rapid spinner over Clefable because Houndoom hates SR, and the team is based around him so it would seem best. Intimidate Hitmontop seems like a good Drapion counter, too so I am definitely going to test that out (=

Thanks again man, I appreciate it a lot (=

EDIT: Also, doesn't Uxie learn Heal Bell? I can possibly swap out Mesprit for Uxie so that I can have a similar Pokémon but still be able to have an easier time absorbing status

Badass team. Really, there isn't much to rate about this team because it's damn near as good as it's gonna get.

The only thing I'll really say is that you COULD use Uxie if you wanted to over Mesprit. Uxie excels in the Def, SpD, and Spe categories over Mesprit by a long shot. The only thing that Mesprit has over Uxie is Atk and SpA. This is why Uxie is usually used as a lead over Mesprit, but then again most people don't run the moveset you are using. In a lot of cases Uxie is just sent out to set up SR and really scout some pokemon and then do whatever the hell. The set your using also requires the pokemon to back some power because you have psychic and grass knot as core moves to counter pokemon. If you wanted to use Uxie, you could change your EVs to something a bit easier (mainly 252 SpA, and then whatever else you believed you needed) and have basically a faster version of what you have now.

Really a nice team overall though, good job.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hi,

This is a very well-built team, and utilizes an effective strategy. However, I see opposing Toxicroak and offensive Venusaur being huge threats to this team. The only Pokemon who can switch into them is Houndoom, who finds it very hard to switch in due to Stealth Rock, and is easily KOed by a +2 Sucker Punch and a LO Sludge Bomb respectively. To remedy this, I'd recommend replacing Mesprit with a Uxie, who can easily deal with these two threats, while also supporting your team with further Paralysis:

Uxie@Leftovers
252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Sp Atk
Bold
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Energy Ball/ U-Turn

Energy Ball is mainly for grabbing KOs on Rhyperior and Omastar who could otherwise setup on you. Nice team, and gl.

Bump

I have been testing Uxie and I am using yawn over thunderwave. Sometimes its lack of power leaves a lot to be desired, but it is definitely much bulkier than Mesprit. I also enjoy yawning something and then U-Turning out, which makes it a great scout as well as a team player.

Hitmontop is to be tested very soon... I kind of forgot that I was going to test him lol

I have been testing Uxie and I am using yawn over thunderwave. Sometimes its lack of power leaves a lot to be desired, but it is definitely much bulkier than Mesprit. I also enjoy yawning something and then U-Turning out, which makes it a great scout as well as a team player.
I'm glad to hear that you chose Uxie over Mesprit. Mesprit is better for a few things, but in the way you were using him, Uxie just ouclassed him. Yawn + U-turn is a great move, and can help a lot even way later on in the game.

This is only a small suggestion, but you can make Toxicroak's last move Sucker Punch. Changing his nature to Rash, and make his EVs 46 Att, 252 Sp.Att, 216 Spe. This makes his Sucker Punch an assured 0HKO on (4/0) Alakazam, Mismagius, and Espeon with SR (SR also makes it possible to 0HKO Rotom as well). The speed still outruns neutral natured, max speed base 80s. It might help with your ghost problem with Croak. It might also Bluff a SD set if you havn't used NP yet. Nice team by the way. :)

OK thanks for the suggestion I'll give it a go :)

I think I'm going to use Mild, though, because it will be taking roughly 40% from Milotic's Ice Beam otherwise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)