Other End of Generation 7 Planning - Voting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
No Gen7 CAP27
Gen7 Pre-Existing CAP Mega Evolution
Gen7 Regular CAP27
Gen7 Ultra Beast CAP27

To be honest, if mega evolution still existed in gen 8, I'd vote for that ahead of no cap, since this project could definitely be done in time and depending on the CAP chosen is almost a side-project. You can focus on both this AND metagame resources, provided the CAP picked was something that even with the buff would probably be niche (cough Voodoom or Malaconda cough) so that adding this in wouldn't require redoing tons of work. But given that the mechanic is going away, this feels pointless. We've already explored mega evolution once, too.

I'd probably have put Alola ahead of regular or UB also, since it also saves enough time to be doable I think (movepool and stats always take a while, and there's less to do here in an alola project), but it's not an option in the poll.

UB does save time relative to regular cap, due to the locked in ability stage, but it's only maybe 2-3 weeks total, which is not very significant in terms of time to finalize metagame resources, etc, so I viewed this time savings to not matter. Between the two, then, I'd rather it just be a regular CAP, since I see few other benefits besides the marginal time savings. It doesn't really feel like an incredibly important feature of Gen 7 (only 2 really get used). It doesn't provide much guidance beyond the ability either, since they come in all shapes and sizes. In terms of drawbacks, UB limits options and therefore discussion and also has mediocre optics. If UB could be done in like 1/2 or even 2/3 the time, I'd prefer it. But for only a few weeks, it's not worth it.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Gen7 Ultra Beast CAP27
Gen7 Pre-Existing CAP Mega Evolution
Gen7 Regular CAP27
No Gen7 CAP27

Ultra Beasts were the defining aspect of the Sun & Moon games, and I kinda feel like CAP needs to acknowledge that (by creating one) before we are done with this gen. Mega Evolving an existing CAP is also a nod to the actual game, since the real megas were done to existing mons. The limited new ground we would cover used to be a limitation for previous projects. For this project, it is a help to get it done in a shorter timeframe. If we end up doing nothing, I think the focus on the CAP metagame could be good. But for me personally, I like making mons most of all, which is why I ranked options the way I did.

Last edited:

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
Code:
End of Generation 7 Planning - Voting
# RANKED PAIRS #

—> Ballot errors / warnings:
[Post#02] Birkal specified no preferences.
[Post#17] Birkal posted more than once (initially at #02).

Ballots: 27
Preferences: 78
Defeat by: Winning votes

[Pair#1] No Gen7 CAP27 (22—5) Gen7 Regular CAP27
[Pair#2] Gen7 Pre-Existing CAP Mega Evolution (17—5) Gen7 Ultra Beast CAP27
[Pair#3] No Gen7 CAP27 (17—9) Gen7 Ultra Beast CAP27
[Pair#4] No Gen7 CAP27 (16—11) Gen7 Pre-Existing CAP Mega Evolution
[Pair#5] Gen7 Pre-Existing CAP Mega Evolution (15—7) Gen7 Regular CAP27
[Pair#6] Gen7 Regular CAP27 (9—8) Gen7 Ultra Beast CAP27

The top voting cycle is No Gen7 CAP27.

No Gen7 CAP27 > [Gen7Pre-ExistingCAPMegaEvolution][Gen7UltraBeastCAP27][Gen7RegularCAP27]
Gen7 Pre-Existing CAP Mega Evolution > [Gen7RegularCAP27][Gen7UltraBeastCAP27]
Gen7 Regular CAP27 > [Gen7UltraBeastCAP27]
Gen7 Ultra Beast CAP27 > []

———————————————————————————————————————
RUNDOWN
———————————————————————————————————————
1. No Gen7 CAP27                        ——> winner!
2. Gen7 Pre-Existing CAP Mega Evolution
3. Gen7 Regular CAP27
4. Gen7 Ultra Beast CAP27
By a rather wide margin, it seems we're holding off on CAP27 until Generation 8.

In the interim, we can work on several areas of CAP. Here's a list of areas of improvement:
  • The CAP Metagame Forum - The CAP Metagame forum needs to be in good condition when the generation ends, which will ensure that Gen 7 CAP is an accessible metagame for future CAPTTs. Although it might seem not very active, the forum doesn't get active unless we all work together on it! We make Pokemon for the journey, but we also have them for the battles. Some pertinent threads are:
  • The CAP Pre-Evolution Workshop - Stayed tuned here for more activity regarding Equilibra's pre-evolution process!
  • The CAP 3D Modeling Project - The 3D modelers do extremely great work here - if you're savvy with modeling/rigging/animating, join them in finishing off the last few CAPs that don't have models!
  • CAP Policy Review - Discuss improvements on CAP Processes here! If you don't have access and know how CAP works, apply in this thread.
  • CAP Discord Icon Contest (and other art contests) - If you can draw, make an icon for the CAP discord! Stay on the lookout for other contests also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)