Entei's Wrath - Please RMT and offer suggestions!

Introduction
The introduction of Gen VI brought a lot of new toys to the metagame. I played with many of these toys (and I'm sure many of you did as well) and I ended up building a lot of teams. Some of them were better than others, but overall I had a very difficult time making something "click". Usually, I would pick a Mega Evolution I liked and I would attempt to build something around it, with some variation in success. I probably have about 7-8 teams on Showdown at the moment (and several more I scrapped) but with a new semester of college starting I decided that I wanted to make one really good one.

I'll admit right off the bat that I am not the best team builder. However, I was lucky enough to befriend an individual on the Neoseeker forums (username Grimes_er) who has spent the last several months assisting me with my team building, strategy and overall battle technique. The past few weeks I've supplemented his teachings with watching a lot of great battlers on YouTube. So Grimes_er and I sat down one day and we started tossing around some ideas as to how we wanted the team to function and, more importantly, what Pokemon we wanted to build the team around.

We threw around some ideas as to what to build the team around when we finally settled on Entei. One of the new toys that was brought into the metagame was the introduction of Sacred Fire to Entei. Sacred Fire now gives Entei a reason to be used competitively, as it is the best move in the game in my opinion. And with Entei settled on, we began the team building process.

Team Building

Of course, we started out with Entei. Entei can abuse the game's best move and cripple most pokemon with a burn. We settled on the CB set to hit as hard as possible.

Manaphy was the next pokemon we decided on. It can easily dispatch of the fire, water, and ground types that Entei isn't too fond of.

We realized that Mega Venusaur and Mega Gyarados could give us trouble, so Latios was added. Latios is also invaluable as it provides Defog support for the team.

Assault Vest Azumarill was added next to help us deal with fast special attackers like Latios and Greninja that can cause the team trouble. Azumarill also bring along a key dragon immunity along with a dark resistance

For my edition of the team I opted to go with Landorus-T. I added Landorus-T to accomplish 3 goals: set up rocks, provide a check to Thundurus-I and Talonflame and soak up T-Waves.

Lastly, Aegislash was added to provide addition Ice/Dragon resistance, extra priority and also a counter for some of those pesky fairy types.

*In Grimes_er's version of the team, Garchomp and Scarf Ditto are used in place of Landorus-T and Aegislash.

The Team

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Bulldoze

Here he is. The star of the show. Choice Band Entei is an absolutely terrifying pokemon. Unless you're a fire type, you don't want to switch into Entei. And with correct prediction, Entei can O-2HKO any fire type. Choice Band is the item of choice to let Entei hit as hard as possible. Because of Entei's relatively lackluster attack (115), an Adamant nature is a must. The EVs I chose were to maximize Entei's potential both as a physical presence on the battlefield but also to outspeed many common threats.

Grimes_er opted for a slightly different spread @ 60 HP/252 Atk/196 Spd, opting to increase Entei's bulk and dropping the speed tier it excels in ever so slightly.

Although there are 4 moves up there, the only one that really needs paying attention to is Sacred Fire. Sacred Fire is in my opinion the best move in the game. 50% burn chance is absolutely insane and it cripples practically anything that attempts to switch into it. Extremespeed gives Entei priority and can be used to clean up weakened teams. Stone Edge and Bulldoze are used to hit fire types that attempt to switch into Entei, although a lot of them are 2HKO'd by Sacred Fire anyways.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam

One of my personal favorite additions to OU this generation has got to be Manaphy. Water is still an excellent typing this generation, and Tail Glow makes it a pretty terrifying sweeper even after just one use. The ease at which it can set up and sweep is astounding. I've swept so many unprepared teams with Manaphy. Max speed and special attack are there to hit as hard and as fast as possible. Leftovers is my preferred item of choice.

Grimes_er opted to use a Wacan Berry instead. He says, "There's nothing more satisfying than tanking a Thunderbolt that the opponent though would KO, killing the attacking mon, and then proceeding to sweep the opponent's team. Manaphy's just too damn good."

Tail Glow is the boosting move of choice, sending Manaphy's special attack sky high. Surf, Energy Ball and Ice Beam give Manaphy fantastic coverage. Energy Ball is especially useful for taking down bulky waters that can be troublesome to this team. In this metagame it is really important to have at least one Grass type move somewhere to deal with Rotom-W, Gastrodon, Quagsire and other water types. Of course, Surf hits fire, ground, and rock types. Ice Beam hits ground, flying, dragon, and grass types. Without Manaphy, this team couldn't function near as well as it does. It has been invaluable to the team's success.

Latios (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Defog

I will admit, I was concerned about the fate of Lati@s this generation. After some experimenting, it's clear they are still the same powerful attackers they were in Gen 5. Once again, max speed and special attack are used to hit as hard and fast as possible. We ran Expert Belt in order to bluff a Choice Scarf/Specs and so Latios could use Defog effectively. Levitate is also invaluable as it gives us our only ground immunity.

Draco Meteor is the preferred STAB of choice, hitting every non-steel and non-fairy for huge chunks of damage. Thunderbolt allows Latios to hit the two common fairies, Togekiss and Azumarill, super effectively. Thunderbolt takes care of MegaDos who would otherwise be a pain to deal with. It also deals out solid damage to the likes of Slowbro and Mandibuzz who like to switch in on Latios. Psyshock is used to hit Conkeldurr and Mega Venusaur. Lastly, Defog is used to clear hazards, allowing Entei to switch in free of harm.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 92 HP / 4 SDef / 160 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet

Azumarill is easily one of my favorite mons to use in the metagame. It has great typing, a great ability, and a farily solid movepool to abuse it. No one really uses Assault Vest on Azumarill, but I've fallen in love with it. It lets me beat NP Lucario, which is a huge threat to the team. Most people are shocked when Azumarill tanks one of their attacks and KO's in return. 160 speed EV's allows Azumarill to outspeed 76 speed Trevenant and 2HKO with Play Rough on the switch in. Adamant nature is there to let it hit as hard as possible. Azumarill checks Conkeldurr, Lucario, and most dragons for the team.

Waterfall is the STAB move of choice, destroying everything that's weak to it along with a lot of pokemon who are hit neutrally. Superpower is mainly there for Ferrothorn. Play Rough hits darks, dragons and fighting types. While Aqua Jet provides Azumarill with much needed priority, letting it clean up weakened teams.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 Spd / 248 HP / 172 Def
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Classic utility Landorus-T. Although Grimes_er opted to go with Garchomp and Ditto for his last two team members I opted to go with Landorus-T and Aegislash. Landorus-T has been invaluable for the team. It can switch in on just about any physical attacker and right off the bat slash their attack. It has been especially useful against boosting attackers like Charizard X, Dragonite, and Salamence. It also is a safe switch into Talonflame, not only slashing it's attack down with Intimidate but hitting it 4x effectively with Stone Edge. Lando-T's ground typing also helps soak up Thunderbolts/Waves.

U-turn gives the team some momentum and hits some of those annoying Psychic or Dark types super-effectively. Stone Edge is for the aforementioned Talonflame but also hits Salamence and Dragonite really hard. Earthquake and Stealth Rock are both pretty self explanatory. When I see Dragonite, Volcarona or Talonflame I make getting rocks on their side of the field a priority.

Aegislash @ Air Balloon
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Quiet Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head

A strong case can be made for Aegislash being my favorite Pokemon introduced in Gen 6. Looking at my team I saw not only a few Ice weaknesses but I also find that if I don't carry a steel type to resist fairy type moves in the OU metagame on Pokemon Showdown! I find myself regretting it.

King's Shield along with it's ability just gives it so many options and it is really quite fun to play. There are a lot of options available when it comes to hold items for Aegislash but I find Air Balloon a great defensive option. I have never tried the Spooky Plate (or even Weakness Policy) though. The days of Sword Dancing purely physical Aegislash are mostly over, as Shadow Ball and Shadow Sneak together make for an excellent combo. And then finally I went with Iron Head. After running a few damage calcs the only Fairy type that would take more damage from Flash Cannon (even considering the Quiet Nature and Sp A EVs) is Azumarill.

Conclusion
Wow. Well, that was long. If you made it through the whole thing, thanks for reading. I'd like to thank Grimes_er for partnering up with me in the creation of this team. Without him, the team wouldn't be close to this good. I think I speak for the both of us in saying that this has been our favorite team to date. It's also been the most successful. Grimes_er has even taken the team to the top 100 on the ladder, but we are looking for any and all suggestions to take us to the next level. Thanks for reading!

If you want a specially defensive fairy you might consider mega-gardevoir, it can sponge up special attacks like a boss while spreading paralysis, providing valuable wish support, and hammering foes with hyper voice and a coverage move of choice (or protect to go with wish). This would also solve your problem of not having a mega evo (and yes, it IS a problem :D). I've also been told that manaphy's effectiveness has diminished greatly with the fall of rain, but I can't comment on it either way, so if it works for you, great! You might consider using azumarill as your sweeper though, using a belly drum set, and replacing manaphy with gardevoir? Other than swapping out Azumarill and replace it with a proper tank, the main weakness I can see is that the team lacks support, you kind of just have a bunch of offensive threats with no phasing, hazards (I only use hazards half the time myself), healing, status spreading, etc... In short, you would benefit from an "annoying" pokemon like klefki, sableye, etc... to help pave the way for a sweep from azumarill or whoever. As an aside, I like how you showed the development of the team piecemeal in your op :D

Well I do have Landorus-T for Rocks. I usually don't find myself having the opportunity to set up more hazards than that with a hyper-offensive team (for the most part). My concern with Mega Gardevoir is I already am lacking a Ghost resistance on the team (and actually have a weakness in the form of Aegislash). Manaphy has Energy Ball, which as I said was really nice to have for Rotom-W, Gastrodon and Quagsire. Manaphy also gets to switch in on almost every water type and set up a free Tail Glow. Manaphy's diminished effectiveness this generation brought it from the Uber tier down to OU, where it is still fantastic.

I've tried Belly Drum Azu before and was a little disappointed with it. I found it hard to set up but that might just be me!

Hello Windgrace! This a pretty solid team! As I looked the team realized the great weakness that has the Bisharp. You do not have any Pokémon that between him seculery, and said his team can have a secure entrance with him in his. I suggest you change your Azumarill for Keldeo. You lose your way dragons immunity, however, this will not be greatly missed since the dragons that exist today can not pass his team, Latios and Latias are insured by Aegislash and Landorus-T can deal well with Garchomp.
Keldeo will guarantee you resist him well and will keep the force that gave the team Azumarill!

Keldeo-R @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Hydro Pump

- Surf

- Secret Sword

- Icy Wind

Manaphy was a great Pokémon in BW, however currently it is not the best choice to try to win a game in the middle or at the end of the match. The reason is the difficulty of getting to Tail Glow without losing a large amount of your HP, since when investing in your Spatk and Speed he loses all his strength, combined with its Speed is not as high for the current Metagame.
I suggest that you test Gyarados instead of Manaphy! Gyarados is a better Pokémon to clear the game, having good a mix of types that improves the Mega Evolve gaining to Mold Breaker and type Dark becoming killing machine.

Gyarados (M) @ Gyaradosite
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Dragon Dance

- Waterfall

- Earthquake

- Ice Fang

Latios is great, but do not consider it a good use Defog to be fragile, suggest Latias test instead. She has better defensive status, managing, to become a better Defog plus she will get leave much more solid team.

Latias (F) @ Life Or/Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Draco Meteor

- Psyshock

- Defog

- Healing Wish

Hope this helps!

Miles Tails
Thank you so much for all the suggestions and notes! The team has been doing really well for me. Manaphy has been really useful because, as I said, having a grass move somewhere is really good for Gastrodon, Rotom-W and Quagsire. It also readily handles Sub+Protect Gliscor, which is basically the bane of my existence.

I will try out Keldeo in place of Azumarill. That's a really interesting thought. Mega Gyarados in place of Manaphy is also an incredibly interesting idea, as I have been considering how I could incorporate a dark/ghost resistance somewhere on the team.

I haven't had a ton of time to test it out, but I actually thought about Oranos idea and this morning I changed out Aegislash for a utility Mega Gardevoir. Now that I have a Fairy on the team (and thus a dragon immunity) I thought about it and I replaced Azumarill with Crawdaunt.

So far these changes have done pretty well for me but I am still testing it out. I really like the idea of Mega Gyarados though! I will test out these ideas over the weekend.

unklewiggles
Thanks for the idea! Rotom-W is so great in the metagame right now. It might be a decent option over Manaphy.

Right now my biggest issue is Mega Lucario. That thing is just difficult to deal with.

Glad that the changes suggested by me and also by the other members are doing well the team! If you need any other help with this team or other team rigth contact by PM or VM that will be happy to help.

Miles Tails

Oh I'm trying out everyone's suggestions. Right now Azu for Crawdaunt and Aegislash for Mega Gardevoir has been fun but I'm still not 100% sure. I really like the idea of using Mega Dos for my team though, so maybe Aegislash+Mega Dos would be best. I'm gonna play test these ideas later today.

unklewiggles
Yeah Azumarill has been my best check to Mega Lucario so far. Landorus-T is a good check so long as they're not running Ice Punch. It's just so unpredictable.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, not a bad team! I really like the use of Entie not as a sweeper, but as a wallbreaker, ending with a manaphy sweep. Its really nice to me. You seem to use Latios and Entei as wallbreakers, as well as Latios as a Defogger. Aegislash is also a wallbreaker, as well as a pivot like Landorus is. It all ends in a Manaphy sweep, and Wacan berry is my personal favorite. However, from what it seems like, Wallbreaking Aegislash seem to give you trouble, as it 2hkoes everything on the team. Band Talonflame can run through half your team too, as priority Brave Bird 2hkoes your entire team. This means that it forces you to play guessing games on whether it is Band or not, and keep switching to Aegislash. If it isnt band, and it runs Roost, you have a really tough time with it. Bisharp is also a problem since you run both a Defogger AND Landorus-t, meaning you have to be careful when and how you switch in. Basically, you lack a good switchin to Physical threats that can get past Landorus.

One thing I notice is a bit weird is AV Azumarill. It seems like a nice set and all, but it cant really be a good pivot, because its bulk isnt as strong as something like Goodra. Not being able to take common Super effective mons such as Sludge Bomb, Giga Drain, Thunderbolt, etc mean that its life spam will end up being cut short. Not to mention that it just invokes horrible synergy with Manaphy. I would switch it out for something that can take on Mega Venusaur as well as stop Bird. You can try out Heatran so you have another excellent switchin to everything that gives you trouble right now (Bird, Power Ranger, as well as Mega Venusaur). Heatran also has excellent synergy with the rest of the team, as it lures in the EQ so you can scout and switch to Latios, thus forcing it out with Psyshock. It absolutely walls the Ghost+Steel Coverage of Aegislash, be wary of Sacred Sword however. And it also walls Bird. Oh, an excellent Genesect switch in is nice as well. You can run Stealth Rock on it if you want, allowing you to run something like HP Ice or something on Landorus, but I would prefer running a Toxic stalling set, to help scout and form a defensive backbone. Oh, it also checks Mega Lucario, by being able to pivot in and out of both sets (Being able to switch into Bullet Punch, Ice Punch or Espeed, as well as Flash Cannon.).

Mega Venusaur is also a threat as it requires expert thinking and can easily stop your manaphy sweep. Try out Psychic over Energy Ball if you want, as it puts a quick stop and lures in Mega Venusaur. Being able to take out Conkelldurr is nice as well as IIRC Surf doesn't OHKO. Energy Ball isnt all that prevalent, because Gastrodon and Quagsire aren't really ever seen. It also deals with Fighting Types a bit better. Or, you can drop Ice Beam if you so choose, depending on what you feel you cover the best with this team.

That's it from me aside from an EV spread or two that doesn't really matter in the long run. I hope I helped your team a little, and good luck!

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 SpD/ 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Earth Power/ Stealth Rock
- Toxic / Stealth Rock

Psychic on Manaphy

Hi TCR !

Thank you so much for all the thoughts and suggestions! Entei has been a FANTASTIC wallbreaker, with enough speed and bulk to last entire matches with some careful predictions. My best answers to Talonflame are Extremespeed Entei (2HKO) and Landorus-T. I haven't had too much of an issue with Aegislash to be totally honest, as Sacred Fire/Bulldoze and Earthquake from Landorus deals quite a hefty chunk to it regardless of whether or not it is in shield form.

AV Azumarill has been interesting to try out. I went with AV to try to soak up the aforementioned moves Sludge Bomb, Giga Drain, etc a little better. So far it's been my best check to Mega Lucario, which is definitely the teams biggest issue. I also hate dealing with Thundurus-I, that thing is a menace.

I took some abovementioned ideas and changed out Azumarill for Crawdaunt and Aegislash for a utility Mega Gardevoir with a lot of success. I'm still not 100% sold on it yet, though having a dark and ghost resistance with Crawdaunt has been pretty nice, while also keeping a key dragon immunity with Mega Gardevoir. This variation of the team has been fun but not terribly different. I also tried Mega Gyarados in place of Manaphy and that has been pretty darn successful as well.

Heatran is an interesting option. Keeping Landorus-T for Rocks frees up the potential moves for Heatran. How does it fare to Talonflame with it's specially defensive variation (as that's what Smogon seems to recommend). My only concern with Heatran is that it does nothing for my Mega Lucario problem, as Vacuum Wave/Aura Sphere and Close Combat are both pretty nasty.

Psychic on Manaphy is a very interesting idea, as Mega Venusaur is a tricky one to deal with if Latios is KO'd. Energy Ball was mostly for Rotom-W that try to switch in (seriously, that thing is everywhere). Ice Beam is too good for all the Dragons running around in OU, along with the bane of my existence Gliscor.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
+3 252 SpA Manaphy Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 192-227 (63.1 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

you can also use it for set up bait since you carry Wacan.

252 Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 102-120 (26.4 - 31%) -- 8.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Barely gets a 4hko. You can also carry Ancientpower if you choose. Also, with decent prediction, you should be able to just keep switching to take out Lucario. SD variants that carry Ice Punch are fked over by Aegisllash, if it carries Crunch, Landorus beats it. Protect on Tran allows you to scout for either coverage move on the predicted switch. If it is Nasty Plot, Aegislash easily deals with it, for Dark Pulse doesn't OHKO. Besides which, +2 Lucario does a max of 95% to AV Azumarill with Flash Cannon, so it isnt a reliable check anyway.

Interesting! I hadn't yet done the calculations. I believe Energy Ball is at best a 2HKO on Rotom-W unless I have a Tail Glow up. That's something I had never considered. Energy Ball is good for Starmie, Gastrodon and Quagsire but I will have to try out Psychic! Something to easily handle Mega Venusaur and Conkeldurr would be much appreciated as I lack Flying type coverage.

I had no idea that Heatran was so bulky! I might have to try it out. And you nailed it perfectly, if Mega Lucario is physical either Landorus fears Ice Punch or Aegislash fears Crunch and I usually have to sac something to try to figure it out. Protect is a great scouting move that the team also lacks, so Heatran just might work! Special variants of Lucario are easier to deal with for the most part if Entei or Landorus are healthy. The only issue is Protect might just allow for a free Nasty Plot/Swords Dance in my face as well....I'd also have 3 water weaknesses.

Have you considered using M-Blastoise over Manaphy so you still have a strong water type special attacker but you can take off defog and give Latios Roost instead so it has better durability?
Or hell Keldeo would also do the job (doe without rapid spin)

Have you considered using M-Blastoise over Manaphy so you still have a strong water type special attacker but you can take off defog and give Latios Roost instead so it has better durability?
Or hell Keldeo would also do the job (doe without rapid spin)
Those are both interesting options! I'll definitely have to think about them for sure. I find that I have to have a strong Ice move somewhere (or something with Infiltrator or Hyper Voice) that can outspeed Gliscor otherwise I find myself unable to break the Sub+Protect cycle on any of my teams.

Hi unklewiggles

Yeah, that's why I have Azumarill already on the team. It's my best check to Lucario right now.

TCR

I tried Heatran in many battles and while it had it's perks, it left my team really weak to Greninja and didn't do much for my problem with Mega Lucario. I know Lucarionite is being looked at right now, so we shall see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)