Excuse me, but I would like to post a new Scizor set

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
First of all if anyone created this set before I did, please post here.

Scizor @ Life Orb ** No name
Trait: Technician
EVs: 192 HP / 244 Atk / 64 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Brick Break
- Quick Attack
- X-Scissor / Night Slash / Iron Head / U-Turn

Comments?
The EVs generate enough Defense to take 26% maximum from Skarmory's Drill Peck (used 210 Atk in the calculation). This lets it survive its Drill Peck long enough to be able to at least destroy Skarmory as Life Orb will end up destroying Scizor at the very end.
Well, the point of this set is to deal a lot of damage with Quick Attack. And it really does, probably more than people think. Let me show you the calcs.

- 394 Life Orbed Swords Danced Quick Attack to 4 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 51%-60% (after intimidate)
Get Stealth Rock down and weaken the Mence switch in with Quick Attack or something. Switch out. Try Swords Dancing on something like Rest/Talking Cresselia and you're in the money.

- 394 Life Orbed Swords Danced Brick Break to 252 HP / 252 Def Impish Skarmory: 40%-47%
Not much, and won't even 2HKO with Stealth Rock down. One other notable thing is that Scizor is slower than Skarmory and can Brick Break Skarmory as it roosts, doing so much damage that Skarmory will be forced to either switch or die.

- 394 Life Orbed Swords Danced Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Impish Forretress: 38%-45%
A guaranteed 3HKO. Forry can't do much back to Scizor. Earthquake does less than 30% to Scizor.

- 394 Life Orbed Swords Danced Quick Attack or X-Scissor vs. 212 HP/180 Def Gyarados: 36%-43% (After intimidate)
Don't do this unless you got Gyara 2 Stealth Rock damages.

- Swords Danced Brick break OHKOs Heatran/Lucario. Lucario here is a mention since it can't Endure/Reversal on you without getting Quick Attacked. You won't OHKO Heatran since it is faster, so technically BB is a 2HKO on it

- 394 Life Orbed Swords Danced Brick Break to 252 HP / 252 Def Impish Regirock: 56%-66%
It will definitely not be walling you that easily. No one puts Curse on Regirock AND/or runs max HP/Def Impish, so that's a pretty safe bet. Steelix isn't gonna wall it.

- 394 Atk Swords Danced Life Orbed X-Scissor or Iron head vs. Max HP/Def Impish Hippowdon: 57%-67%

Hippo can wall the CB sets, but not the Swords Dancer...

- 394 Atk Swords Danced Life Orbed Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Neutral natured Infernape: 84%-99%
One Stealth Rock down and it's pretty much an OHKO. Some people are actually stupid enough to bring Infernape into Scizor. Looks reasonable, doesn't it? Add Sandstorm into the mix and it's a GUARANTEED OHKO.

- 394 Atk Swords Danced life Orbed Quick Attack vs 0 HP / 0 Def Neutral natured Electivire: 100+%
You can't even land a single damage on me. Only the life Orb recoil can.

- 394 Atk Swords Danced Life Orbed Night Slash vs. Bulky Gyarados: 42%-50%
Guaranteed 2HKO under Stealth Rock.

X-Scissor vs Night Slash vs Iron Head vs U-Turn
- Iron Head can hit Weezing and Salamence, but not very effective against Water and Electric types
- Night Slash can hit Ghosts and Slowbro at the same time, but lacks STAB and loses to Hippowdon. Water types like Swampert can still absorb it
- X-Scissor hits Psychics much harder than the other two moves and water types which wall the other first two moves, but cannot hit Ghosts very well.
- U-Turn is different. It allows immediate switch out after hitting something. Does fairly well against Substitute magnezones. However it is not very good in the late game, which is when this Scizor should be sweeping.

Basically, make sure you carry a Pursuiter such as Tyranitar if you're planning to use X-Scissor.

Why not Weavile?
Weavile gets STAB on Night Slash and Ice Punch. It can also Ice Shard too. So why would you not rather leave this set to Weavile?
Weavile is very frail. Scizor can stay up for a while. Weavile has nothing against Metagross, while Meta fears X-Scissor from it. These two aren't even remotely comparable in my opinion.

How to get it to work?

Take advantage of the extremely common Cresselia. She cant do much to you and all you need is Swords Dance in her face as she switches. Scizor can also come in on Weavile as well. Switching into a Softboiling Blissey will force her out and Scizor can sweep. Get a Stealth Rocker since it guarantees Swords Danced Quick Attack an OHKO against Infernape. Stealth Rock will hep greatly against the likes of Salamence and Gyarados. This Scizor works best in the late game where the Life Orb recoil wouldn't bother you as much as in the early game. By that time Salamence should be at around 50% health and will be easily finished by Swords Danced Quick Attack.

Wish is a very handy move when using this Scizor. Pass Wish into it to keep it alive because Life Orb recoil can be destructive

Counters?

Well, Gyarados counters it if Scizor does not have Night Slash and Stealth Rock on the field. Ghosts counter it if it has X-Scissor. Hippowdon can counter if Scizor does not pack Iron Head/X-Scissor. Swampert can counter non X-Scissor versions. Slowbro stops Iron Head versions.

Weezing can burn him alive with Flamethrower. Iron Head will hurt it badly, though, although not enough to OHKO. Heatran still counters it, but lives in fear of Brick Break. Metagross stops non X-Scissor versions. Substitute Magnezone can pose serious problems as it will stall Scizor for a while and allowing it to die from Thunderbolt.

Gimmick?
No

Why did you post it at this time?

Due to the massive run of sets this moment seems very uncomfortable. I have thought of this a while ago, and posted it on Shoddy lol. But the reason why I waited for a while is so that someone could test this out before I post

No Roost?
yes, we'd all love 5 moves on this set, although that is beyond the possibilities in this game. Roost would help Scizor a lot, but the other moves are more important than this.

If you're desperate for healing, use Roost over Brick break, but make sure your team can cover steel types effectively since Scizor is not gonna stay here and desperately attempt to Iron Head Skarmory/Lucario into oblivion.

This set has been tested by Great Sage and he claims it to work excellently. If anyone would like to test this, feel free to do so

It seems to have some pro's about it but I can't help weeping about the loss of an opportunity to use Roost in there, what with Life Orb killing you and all..

Lol I was going to mention Roost. But yeah I like the combination of LO and Roost.

Nice written, too.

I've seen this in action on shoddy, and I may have even played against it at some point, and I'll reserve my judgment to this:

I like the synergy of Quick attack + SD + Technician + bulkier-slower build, but with my own Scizor I've seen Cresselias stay in against Scizor and Reflect up.

Also, it's difficult now to consider Skarmory without considering the Brave Bird calculations as opposed to Drill Peck.

*As a side note, the numbers + Stealth Rock look promising, but as such it would be very important to include a list calculations against common Rapid Spinners as well-> Donphan/Starmie/Claydol/Forretress*

Jibaku

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I've seen this in action on shoddy, and I may have even played against it at some point, and I'll reserve my judgment to this:

I like the synergy of Quick attack + SD + Technician + bulkier-slower build, but with my own Scizor I've seen Cresselias stay in against Scizor and Reflect up.

Also, it's difficult now to consider Skarmory without considering the Brave Bird calculations as opposed to Drill Peck.

*As a side note, the numbers + Stealth Rock look promising, but as such it would be very important to include a list calculations against common Rapid Spinners as well-> Donphan/Starmie/Claydol/Forretress*
Forry's calc is added up there already. Donphan is 2HKOed by Swords Danced STAB move and Claydol/Starmie isn't gonna bother with X-Scissor around.

As for Brave Bird Skarmory, if A Stealth Rock is down, Scizor can 2HKO Skarmory after the Brave Bird recoil. Brave bird is a 3HKO back on Scizor though. To guarantee a 2HKO on Leftovers Skarmory, get it at around 80% health. If Skarm decides to Brave Bird you it will regret because the recoil is gonna guarantee its death.

For the record Swords Danced Brick Break does 42%-49% to 334 HP / 400 Def Skarmory

I'm sure Starmie would be OHKO'ed by SDed X-scissor. Claydol doesn't like a STABed SE X-scissor either. Forretress has been covered.

Also reflect Cresselia shouldn't be a problem if you have Brick Break.

I think Roost is a nice option over Brick Break.

Jibaku

Roost is viable. However, you'd be walled easier by steels this time (especially Magnezone and Heatran). You won't even get a chance to beat down Skarmory as it will just Roost on you and you'd eventually die out of recoil

Normal + Bug/Dark/Steel is not the brightest combination out there

That's what your other team members are for. It is just what you prefer, covering more pokemon or more lastability. The two steel pokemon you mentioned, Magnezone and Heatran, beats Scizor anyways, kinda. Magnezone will not OHKO you but I'm sure it does het lot on Scizor plus it is faster.

That's what your other team members are for. It is just what you prefer, covering more pokemon or more lastability. The two steel pokemon you mentioned, Magnezone and Heatran, beats Scizor anyways, kinda. Magnezone will not OHKO you but I'm sure it does het lot on Scizor plus it is faster.
Magnezone does around 75% with thunderbolt positive nature and max sp atk. If you have sub on magnezone, scizor will die easily due to thunderbolt + recoil.

Jibaku

Magnezone traps you

But anyways, I added a section about Roost
Added magnezone as a counter

I'm pretty sure this set is nothing particularly special

I've seen at least 3 Scizors on Wifi Battle Towers on Ranks 4-5 using this setup except with Roost over Quick Attack makes it a fucking pain to kill while it just rips through you if you don't have any fire moves.

STAB Iron Head plus Brick Break seems to be the common setup.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
The attack should really be maxed, those 2 extra attack points will be a factor on many more occasions than 2 points anywhere else.

I have always been a big fan of quick attack, so I like this set.

My Scizor analysis has been updated.

I run this current moveset and spread:

Scizor @ Life orb
Adamant + technician
252 attack / 252 speed / 4 sp. def
-U turn
-Swords dance
-Quick attack
-Roost

I found no real need for brick break other than trying to desperately damage skarm and some rather uncommon pokes. I added the speed to outspeed adamant ttars and maxed speed modest maggies. I read something rather interesting as well: after 1 sd, scizor actually threatens min def infernape in a ohko range 0_0

EDIT: Um, jibaku, you asked who had this moveset? I'm almost certain that a guy named vegetarules on gfaqs used the very moveset ages ago. This is actually one of his signature pokes.

As a surprise factor it worked for one time as my friend cant remember his shoddy nick used this set agains me and it did fairly good. Yes like everything this set has his own weakness especially against a magnezone and a gengar.

It's certainly an interesting set. Superior to the Choice Band version in some ways, though I still prefer that one. Reason being, you can deal enough damage throughout the game that you can easily sweep anything slower than you later anyways. Here's the set:

Adamant
252Atk/252Speed/4HP

U-Turn
Iron Head
Brick Break
Pursuit

Ive been using this set since DP was released and it hasn't failed me yet. U-Turn is a must...X-Scissor shouldn't even be considered on the CB set. You'll mostly be U-Turning early on...only exceptions would be against something like Starmie or anything else that may run that you can Pursuit. This allows you to scout early on. Gyarados lead? U-Turn, switch to Cresselia. Salamence/Garchomp switches in on you? U-Turn, switch to Cresselia. See a pattern here? This guy complements Cresselia perfectly, because not only does Cresselia counter almost everything that counters Scizor, but Scizor counters many of Cresselia's counters as well. U-Turn also allows you to scout for Skarmory and Magnezone, and next time you're in there you can consider a Brick Break on the switch. Or, just use Scizor to revenge kill Maggy, as it outspeeds it and easily KOs with Brick Break. Late game, Iron Head tears stuff apart. Anything with a lot of damage that is slower will die, even stuff that resists it. A couple lucky flinches here and there can allow you to completely turn the tables on a slow team, which I've done several times.

I think you've got a great set, it just seems a little too situational to me. Although it really depends on your team.

Honestly, are swords dance/life orb sets really that revolutionary? Scizor doesn't really seem like the best pokemon to use it on, as bug/fighting/normal isn't exactly the best of coverage. Steels generally have enough defense to overlook the fighting attacks, and the more common ones have a second type to resist it anyway (I'm looking at you, jirachi/metagross/skarm/other scizors).

Also, I'd like to see how this deals with walls such as dusknoir and pert and weezing, two of which will Will-o-Wisp you and one will most likely roar you away. A set up SD Garchomp with fire fang or even a CB version will put quite the dent in you too, though I am admittedly not sure what a SD'd LO quick attack will do to it.

Now, don't get me wrong, SD/orb can be quite the destructive force. I use it on pinsir in UU and it beasts the hell out of anything slower than it. The only problem with these sets is that they are ticking time bombs. If you can get rid of the appropriate counters, then a sweep is quite possible. Even with a sweeper left on the opponent's team, the LO/SD set will most likely take 1-2 more pokes down with it anyway. Wish really isn't an option though, because when the LO/SD pokemon is wearing down, it's usually at the point in the battle where either a) the wish won't matter because you can finish your opponent off without it, or b)the pokemon won't be allowed another setup because your opponent now knows what's coming.

One last suggestion I would be curious about is running Aerial Ace/Pursuit/Rock Smash, though not all at once obviously. AA would be for teams that have serious Heracross problems, mostly, while pursuit will possibly allow a kill or a serious dent into whatever is running away from you. Also, pursuit can put a dent in dusknoir. Rock Smash could be helpful for the defense drop on things that wall you, like gyarados and weezing.

In conclusion, SD/life orb sets are :cool:.

You've got 8 spare EVs :o

Very nice set, looks good on paper and considering the calculations. Gonna test it.

Pretty good on paper but I think I prefer without LO as SD should make up for the lost power.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Pretty good on paper but I think I prefer without LO as SD should make up for the lost power.
This won't work, because many KOs with Quick Attack hinge on the Life Orb boost, such as with Infernape.

While I tested this, I found that the X-Scissor version works best because the whole spectrum of Water types are a lot harder to counter with one or two Pokemon than Ghost types. Tyranitar makes an excellent partner with this, since it sets up Sandstorm and then can proceed to destroy a couple of Ghosts. CMBlissey also works well with this set, as it can beat any Ghost type not named Shedinja (who isn't used in Standards).

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
Iron head my ass. Metal Claw with Technician is only 5BP under Iron Head, and raising attack beats the shit out of flinch on such a slow Pokémon.

More fun Technician abuse:
Aerial Ace (60BP to 90BP)
Rock Smash (40BP to 60BP and 50% chance of lowering Def- Over two attacks, equal damage to Brick Break, as long as it lowers def. Over more attacks, it's better. Not worth the risk IMO)
Pursuit (Try and switch from me and you eat a 120BP Dark attack bitch)

Silver wind would Kick Ass if Scizor could feasably Sp.Atk, but he can't. Sad.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Rock Smash is actually a viable option over Brick Break to kill Skarmory. Also, IIRC Pursuit does not get boosted by Technician if it hits a switching Pokemon, because then it has 80 BP.

Pursuit (Try and switch from me and you eat a 120BP Dark attack bitch)
Actually, when they switch it is only 80. When they don't switch, it is 60. Technician only boosts attacks when they are less than 60 BP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)