fantasy draft tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know i am not supposed to put this here and i am supposed to go through groudon80etc. but i live in canada and for some reason i am unable to PM him so im placing this here....

anyways, in the spirit of football season and all the fantasy pools going around, i was wondering if anyone wanted to go into a fantasy draft tournament i am keen on running. i would need 7 more people (to make 8 in total)

i have a random rumber generator, so i could be in charge of the order and we would proceed to pick pokemon in the order of 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 then 8 7 6 and so on... of course there would be no duplicates and 6 PER TEAM, WITH ANY UNPICKED POKEMON BEING ALLOWED TO BE USED AS A 'FREE AGENT' ON ANYONES TEAM

the tournament would be single OR DOUBLE elimination, whichever the participants felt was mroe necessary. furthermore, movesets and EV's would be allowed to be changed in between matches to provide more strategy and variety of matches

The following players are interested in joining
Nomargu46
WER
[.Darkie]
COalex
Glaceonkyle

i'm interested. but i think we should draft like 8 to a team, or maybe just have a clause that all "free agents" are available for use on any team. otherwise, we'd know exactly our opponents team...

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
this idea is nice and all, and I want to hear some other opinions, but I would prefer someone more experienced to run a tournament, especially since the rules say that tournament applications are supposed to be closed...

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
I've hosted a tournament like this on another site, and I would recommend trying for a live draft if you don't feel like waiting 3 weeks for the tournament to start.

Still, I'd be interested. It was definitely a whole new ballgame when I did this.

Live Draft would limit who gets to be on, as it's easier to arrange a different timezone to battle than for every participant to get on. It could always be, 2 people draft their own draft, so only 12 Pokes get taken (for pairing). Then have a little twist to it, you get to keep like a poke from r1 to r2, and one poke from r2 to r3 or something. Of course it'll still most likely be standard OUs, but its a lot faster than most draft tournies.

Live Draft would limit who gets to be on, as it's easier to arrange a different timezone to battle than for every participant to get on. It could always be, 2 people draft their own draft, so only 12 Pokes get taken (for pairing). Then have a little twist to it, you get to keep like a poke from r1 to r2, and one poke from r2 to r3 or something. Of course it'll still most likely be standard OUs, but its a lot faster than most draft tournies.
having only 12 pokes taken would make every team fully OU and available to have control over just about any poke they want. 48-64 pokes would make some interesting choices pop up, to say the least. posting also to agree that a more experienced tournament head should at least have partial control over this kind of thing; and to secure a spot in this tourney.

this idea is nice and all, and I want to hear some other opinions, but I would prefer someone more experienced to run a tournament, especially since the rules say that tournament applications are supposed to be closed...
thats fine enough for me, i figured someone would take it over anyways.

and other than a live draft, which would obviously take some time, unless we could all get on at the same time, what other options would there be??

how about a seeding type thing like they do in the NFL?

Everybody gets a random number for the first round (I know NFL draft is done by who is good and who sucks but we don't know that and it isn't fair that way so random is better)
Draft picks are to be sent by PM to the tournament leader, with alternates for anybody not in first draft spot. Draft picks are due by a certain time on a certain day.
The tour leader takes these PMs and creates a list of who has what Pokemon.

Second round either reverse the order or re-randomize and do the same thing.
Third round is the same, and so on.

Would that work? I think I saw something similar done elsewhere...

I'd play, but do you supply the pokes, or do we just pick pokes we'd like to use, and then breed/train them ourselves?

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Snake draft
Live draft, IRC should be best imo
2 Divisions with 2 different drafts
the 2 champions battle it out with their teams

Best way to do it imo

Chill Murray

get well soon jacoby..
I actually like zerowing's idea a lot.

Also, the way we did it, you were allowed to add one of your vanquished opponent's Pokemon to your team. So if I beat a guy with a Heracross, I could use Heracross on my team the next round.

this would be interesting. sadly, my schedule is pretty much full for the upcoming months or I would offer help with hosting. I might join though.

Okay here's this for a thought.

16 People.

4 Divisons, 4 people per divison.

Each divison will draft, so its 32 per division.
However, round 2 will make it where you cannot use any of the pokes previous picked in your divison. So that's 12 more pokes.

So after that, you have a winner of each division meaning there's four people left. Reset the pool and draft again. And for finals, kill off the pokes chosen and draft another 12.

This idea is only for the fact that more people get to join (16) than the original amount (8). And the fact it's easier to drive draft to get 4 people together than 8. Of course you can even branch this out to 32, and keep the 4 people per division so a lot of people can join. Still snake style of course.

Also, the way we did it, you were allowed to add one of your vanquished opponent's Pokemon to your team. So if I beat a guy with a Heracross, I could use Heracross on my team the next round.
that idea sounds pretty interesting. i've never hosted a Smogon Tournament before, but if we're looking for someone to organize this thing, i do have some tournament hosting experience on a couple of other (lesser) sites. i'f be willing to host this one - but i'd rather it be played on WiFi than shoddy. the version of Java needed to run shoddy wont work on my computer and besides it is separate from Smogon in principle. i suppose if i host this i probably shouldnt actually join the tournament, but im okay with that if you guys are willing to let me take the reigns and get this thing underway.

i'd probably need a willing panel of D/C judges too; for the most part they'd do nothing but eventually it is possible that some conflict could arise.

If it's Wifi, than people would actually go out and find their the Pokes they picked, breed for right moves/nature/IVs, then raise them up. That just limits everyone so much and takes much more time IMO. We could just host a regular tournament on wifi than if you're only going to pick the Pokes you have raised. =/

If it's Wifi, than people would actually go out and find their the Pokes they picked, breed for right moves/nature/IVs, then raise them up. That just limits everyone so much and takes much more time IMO. We could just host a regular tournament on wifi than if you're only going to pick the Pokes you have raised. =/
you definitely have a point, but i think it might be nice to reward those trainers who have put a lot of effort into their teambuilding

I do research on Shoddy, so I can build properly for WiFi... No use to EV/IV some pokés that I'm never using. So, I'm up for it if its Shoddy, but otherwise no thanks.

I like Areobackyl's division idea as well.

The idea seems interesting, I'd like to join.

And I agree with the idea of allowing more people to join, but do whatever you wish. It's your idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)