FaSTAB-mon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by: DTC
FaStab-mon (credits to goodknife for name)
Welcome to FaStab-mon, where every Pokemon gets priority! Yes you heard that right, every Pokemon gets priority! You may ask: if every Pokemon gets priority, won't cancel back to ground zero? Well no, here is how the Metagame will work:

Rules:
  • Simply put, every Pokemon gets +0.5 priority on using a move which they get STAB on (which means they move before unSTABed moves, but are still slower than regular priority moves)
  • Pokemons only has a x1.3 multiplier instead of x1.5 from using STAB moves
  • Status moves are unaffected, which means moves like Roost on a Flying type will not gain +0.5 priority
  • Standard OU Banlist still applies
Basically, if a Pokemon uses a move that gets a STAB boost, it will move before than any other move in the same priority bracket, but still after a move in the next priority bracket. In other words, if you use a STAB boosted move, you get a reverse Lagging Tail. Click here for a list of priority brackets.

For example:
  • Terrakion's Stone Edge will be faster than Deoxys-S's Superpower, but slower than Psycho Boost.
  • Terrakion's Quick Attack will be faster than Scizor's Bug Bite, but slower than Bullet Punch, since STAB Bug Bite is at +0.5, Quick Attack is at +1, and STAB Bullet Punch is at +1.5.
  • Avalugg's Avalanche will be faster than that of say Swampert, but slower than Focus Punch, since Focus Punch is at -3, while STAB Avalanche is at -3.5.
Other clarifications:
Protean:
Since turn orders are decided at the start of the turn and Protean only works when the user makes a move, they do not get the bonus priority unless they are already of that typing at the start of the previous turn. For instance, Greninja does not get the +0.5 priority for Ice Beam unless it already is Ice type from the previous turn.

Aerilate/Refrigerate/Pixiate: They get the +0.5 priority bonus mainly for fairness sake

Seismis Toss/Night Shade/Psywave: Since they are hitting fixed damage and not getting the STAB bonus itself, they do not get +0.5 priority.

Adaptability: How Adapatability formerly worked is that it boost the damage of STAB moves to 1.33x (2/1.5=1.3333). So that formula will still apply, which means 1.3*1.33=1.729, which shall round up to 1.75 for the nearest 0.25.

Flying Press: This is certainly a pressing problem, seeing that Hawlucha doesn't not get the double STAB damage bonus on Flying Press. However, seeing that it is a nice signature move which otherwise have no use whatsoever, I shall give it the benefit of doubt and let it have +1 priority.

Threatlist:
Currently none

Last edited:
Did anyone else read the title and think facestab?

So what kind of influence will this have on the meta? The fact that STAB gets priority sounds like it would be more offensive; however, STABs do less damage now and coverage moves aren't as favorable since an opponent's STAB will outspeed it, suggesting a more defensive shift.

How does Adaptability work in this meta? Does the Pokemon's STAB gets a x1.6 bonus now? Does their priority get boosted as well?
I'm guessing Hawlucha doesn't get a +1 Priority off of Flying Press. Although a guy can still hope.

Right off of the top of my head I can imagine plenty of slow mons who would appreciate the boost to their priority. From NU I can imagine Facade Zangoose and Extreme Speed Linoone (who now outspeeds almost everything!)
Entei also has priority Sacred Fire too meaning your opponent is going to get burned quickly.
The Pikachu clones have priority Nuzzle to really slow your opponent down.

Diggersby will be very terrifying with priority STAB Return and earthquake and an even faster Quick Attack which now goes before non-STAB Sucker Punches (like Toxicroak's), while the increased priority also lets it run Choice Band with more confidence over the usual Scarf to make up for the drop in STAB power.

Also, since Pokemon that rely on coverage will have serious speed issues while Pokemon who love STAB will have trouble wallbreaking it will make for a much bulkier and defensively-minded metagame, I think.

Duel Type Pokemon have more use in this metagame because they have more STABS than Pokemon with just one type. Pokemon with high attack stats but with low defense now have to worry about priority from low speed Pokemon.

Last edited:
Problem is that any pokemon with a physical STAB attack will outspeed and kill it.
The actual problem comes in getting the Pokemon to outrun Shuckle in the first place, unless they have a decent STAB attack

Escavalier seems really fun as a mon to use with priority Megahorn and Iron Head, and Drill Run to smack fire type switchins.

I don't know about this metagame, to be honest. It looks cool at first sight, but when you look at it closely, it just doesn't seem as good. (no offense intended in this passage)

Let's think about it this way. Say there are two armies in a war. Now what if they both got tanks from the future at the exact same time? When both sides have the same upgrade, present, etc., there's just little advantage in actually having it. If only one side got the tanks, that side would annihilate the enemy. Unfortunately, FaSTAB works that way. If you just gave something like diggersby FaSTAB, it would be completely terrifying, but when you give EVERYTHING FaSTAB, well, doesn't that defeat the purpose of priority? Isn't the purpose to priority moving first without actually needing speed?

I just feel a bit iffy about this metagame. Then again, many other people out there probably want to play it, but that's just my opinion. Hope you see this as some "constructive criticism" rather than flaming.

I don't know about this metagame, to be honest. It looks cool at first sight, but when you look at it closely, it just doesn't seem as good. (no offense intended in this passage)

Let's think about it this way. Say there are two armies in a war. Now what if they both got tanks from the future at the exact same time? When both sides have the same upgrade, present, etc., there's just little advantage in actually having it. If only one side got the tanks, that side would annihilate the enemy. Unfortunately, FaSTAB works that way. If you just gave something like diggersby FaSTAB, it would be completely terrifying, but when you give EVERYTHING FaSTAB, well, doesn't that defeat the purpose of priority? Isn't the purpose to priority moving first without actually needing speed?

I just feel a bit iffy about this metagame. Then again, many other people out there probably want to play it, but that's just my opinion. Hope you see this as some "constructive criticism" rather than flaming.
I understand what you mean, and it went thorough my head when I thought about it too. But everyone still gets a different advantage. Since you brought up your example with tanks, I wanted to try to reply it in a similar manner, but damn, it's hard to use tanks as a counterexample. So I shall just bring up ingame examples to why there is a noticeable difference.

There is the difference even though both parties get STAB, because many offensive Pokemon rely on non STAB attacks to get past their designated counters.

Assuming +2/+2 DD MegaGyara against MVenusaur. Considering MegaGyara doesn't have STAB on its Mold Breaker Ice Fang, regardless of how much speed it accumulates, MVenusaur's Giga Drain will still go first because of the +0.5 priority. But on the other hand, if it uses Waterfall, it will go first since both are STABed while Waterfall is faster. In the normal meta it would take 2 +2 Ice Fangs to defeat the standard MVenusaur, but in this meta, since MVenusaur goes first with Giga Drain compared to Ice Fang, it would 2HKO 1st. However, Gyarados can choose to Ice Fang First, then Waterfall so it only has to take 1 Giga Drain, to defeat Venusaur. For another example, Deoxys-S will be complete bait for Tyranitar since Tyranitar's Crunch/Pursuit is going before the Superpower.

The first example illustrates how every little bit of priority matters in order to get a sweep going, or get walled. The second example shows how the advantage of having an immunity is amplified due to the nature of the meta. Basically typing plays a really huge role in the meta.

Last edited:
I understand what you mean, and it went thorough my head when I thought about it too. However, there is the difference because many offensive Pokemon rely on non STAB attacks to get past their designated counters.

Assuming +2/+2 DD MegaGyara against MVenusaur. Considering MegaGyara doesn't have STAB on its Mold Breaker Ice Fang, regardless of how much speed it accumulates, MVenusaur's Giga Drain will still go first because of the +0.5 priority. But on the other hand, if it uses Waterfall, it will go first since both are STABed while Waterfall is faster. In the normal meta it would take 2 +2 Ice Fangs to defeat the standard MVenusaur, but in this meta, since MVenusaur goes first with Giga Drain compared to Ice Fang, it would 2HKO 1st. However, Gyarados can choose to Ice Fang First, then Waterfall so it only has to take 1 Giga Drain, to defeat Venusaur. For another example, Deoxys-S will be complete bait for Tyranitar since Tyranitar's Crunch/Pursuit is going before the Superpower.

The first example illustrates how every little bit of priority matters in order to get a sweep going, or get walled. The second example shows how the advantage of having an immunity is amplified due to the nature of the meta. Basically typing plays a really huge role in the meta.
Of course that same Gyarados could have bounce.

EV

Banned deucer.
ANYWAYS..............

STAB Sucker Punch should rise in usage, don't you think? Like Heroes and Cons said earlier, it's only outsped by STAB moves that already have priority but will keep outspeeding stuff like say Scizor's Bug Bite. I see Bisharp doing well with it since it also carries Iron Head to hit Fairies and can still abuse Substitute and Defiant to good effect.

As much as I enjoy a little arguing I prefer discussing Pokemon.

One more question (sorry I just always think of these):
Does Nature Power get the priority boost? It is technically a status move which you stated don't, but it becomes a damaging move. The more I think about it the more unlikely it seems.

I think another important point isn't just coverage moves are moving slower, but also Status moves are going to be slower (as they are unaffected by STAB). Spikes, Recover, Thunder Wave, Will O' Wisp, Substitute are all going to be slower than before. Using one of these moves is basically like giving up on going first. Fast and frail setters like Frosslass and Deo-S aren't going to be able to rely on their sashes any more to get up two layers. You can no longer throw up a Sub just before an attack to turn a One-Hit KO move into a Four-Hit KO move. You're going to have to recover a lot smarter. Will O' Wisp will no longer dull anticipated Physical attacks. Baton Pass is also going to be interesting as the mon will probably have to be bulky enough to survive at least one blow.

Ultimately I feel like the mons that benefit the most from this change would be Mons who already use their STABs. Like Scizor's Bullet Punch, Adaptability Dragon Dancing Crawdaunt, Scrappy Boomburst Exploud, and perhaps No Guard Dynamic Punch Machamp (priority Confusion).
Oh, and just for the sake of things there's also Delcatty who thanks to Normalize gets +.5 Priority on all of her attacking moves. Also Priority Rapid Spin on Spinda.

As much as I enjoy a little arguing I prefer discussing Pokemon.

One more question (sorry I just always think of these):
Does Nature Power get the priority boost? It is technically a status move which you stated don't, but it becomes a damaging move. The more I think about it the more unlikely it seems.
Unfortunately, due to the nature of how Nature Power works, it starts as a status move when the move order is decided, so it doesn't get priority. Not that it matters, because the only Pokemon that will ever use Nature Power are Pranksters anyway.

I was trying not to say this, but I don't care for this meta. Sure, it might be substantially different from OU like you're saying, but the increased priority isn't going to be increased priority since pretty much everything is gonna run nothing but stab almost all the time, which, like other people have said, makes this a defensive met, something I just REALLY don't care for.
Dude this is not about whether or not you care about the meta, and I don't care if you care or not, but you are trying to refute an example with false information, and when I corrected said false information you will refute it on another dimension which didn't make a tiny bit of correlation to the original argument, and is false too. From this reply, I see that you are not trying to get on my nerve, and that's good to know. But grats on being completely dense, and anyone with basic English knowledge and common sense can see that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)