Gen 2 Fearow Spikeless Offense aka Holly Offense [GSC NU]

:gs/Dugtrio: :gs/Xatu: :gs/Weezing: :gs/Octillery: :gs/Fearow: :gs/Primeape:
Fearow Spikeless Offense
Hello there, I am Holly, aka the one user obsessed with GSC NU that wrote a bible on it and also the tiers metagame. I’ve been playing and building this tier a lot for the past year and a half, and of all the teams I’ve made, this one sticks out as the one I’ve used the most and the one I’m most proud of. This team combines many of GSC NU’s premier offensive Pokemon like Dugtrio, Xatu, and Primeape to overwhelm common defensive cores in GSC NU, while having decent defensive backbone provided by bulkier attackers like Weezing and Octillery. What I really like about this team is the consistency and ease of use, it very rarely runs into bad matchups and I always recommend this type of team to players new to the tier. As for GSC NU itself, I just think its such a fascinating and wonderful tier, with its very fast paced nature and other elements making it a really skill intensive tier. The tier is just so fun to play and I always enjoy playing it, and its a nice and balanced tier that I think anyone could pick up especially with all the resources I and others have made. Anyways, let’s get onto the team.

Teambuilding Process

:Dugtrio:
One of the best Pokemon in the tier, Dugtrio also happens to be one of the best leads in GSC NU, especially on offensive teams. It has an excellent matchup against Rapidash leads and doesn’t automatically lose to Pineco leads. Off the gate it can threaten pretty much the entire tier with its powerful Earthquake and Rock Slide for Flying- and Bug- types, making it an excellent early game attacker. Its also a monster in the endgame when everything is chipped, which is why I like to save it instead of sacking it a lot of the time.

:Dugtrio: :Xatu:
When not building some Agility Pass or Shuckle stall stuff, you should always run Xatu. Its easily the best Pokemon in the tier and brings so much offensive and defensive utility that your often hurting yourself by not running it. Dugtrio and Xatu have excellent offensive synergy together. On an offensive team like this Xatu is virtually mandatory, and brings a fast and powerful Special attacker that checks dangerous threats such as Kingler, Weezing, and Primeape, and Gloom. Xatu is useful in any matchup in this tier and largely too good not to use while also pairing well with litreally everything lol, so use it please,

:Dugtrio: :Xatu: :Weezing:
GSC NU’s #2, Weezing similarly brings big offensive and defensive utility to the team. Weezing and Xatu is an iconic core of this tier, and for good reason. Its a powerful mixed attacker in its own right with a strong Sludge Bomb combined with Thunder for Water and Flying types making it a tough threat to switch into. Weezing is also the best user of one of the best moves in the game, Explosion, an amazing safety net to have against powerful setup sweepers. Weezing is also very physically bulky, countering Primeape and Meditate Hitmonlee with ease and doing well against GSC NU’s numerous Normal-types.

:Dugtrio: :xatu: :Weezing: :Octillery:
Octillery is GSC NU’s best offensive Water-type, being a powerful special attacker that trades hits well with most of the tier while bringing solid defensive utility. Octillery defends the team against threats like Rapidash, Dugtrio, and Xatu notably, and Octillery pairs very well with Weezing and Xatu in particular, making Its a staple on offensive teams like this. While Octillery did fall off for a bit in GSC NU, I think in the current metagame its one of the best and most splashable Pokemon in the tier.

The four Pokemon I just listed is an amazing 4 Pokemon core to work off in GSC NU. Dugtrio, Xatu, Weezing, and Octillery togheter matchup so well against most of the tier, and a lot of teams I’ve built in GSC NU have been these four + two other Pokemon. The last two team slots are widely variable, but the two I chose(Fearow and Primeape) is the one I’ve ran most and had the most success with.

:Dugtrio: :Xatu: :Weezing: :Octillery: :Fearow:
Fearow is an often overlooked threat in GSC NU, but with the right support against certain threats it can be a monster to handle. Its very fast, very strong, and it’s STAB Double-Edge is not resisted by much in this tier. The tiers Rock-types like Sudowoodo and Graveler do wall it, but I paired it with threats like Octillery and Dugtrio to switch into them well. They might be forced to explode too, opening Fearow up. Fearow is also quite good against Xatu, switching into it surprisingly well and outspeeding and hugely threatening it in return.

:Dugtrio: :xatu: :Weezing: :Octillery: :Fearow: :Primeape:
Another offensive team staple, Primeape rounds out the team as a terrifying sweeper with few Pokemon able to stop it reliably. It counters Sudowoodo well, making it pair well with Fearow especially since Fearow can check Xatu quite well. Primeape also massively threatens Normal-types like Wigglytuff and Stantler, potentially OHKOing them with a critical hit Cross Chop through their Curse boosts. Xatu and Primeape is another fantastic core, with Xatu threatening Poison-types like Weezing and Gloom while Primeape threatens stuff like Normals and Waters.

The Team
:gs/Dugtrio:

Dugtrio @ Leftovers
Ability: none
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Screech
- Substitute

Dugtrio is my lead and as I went over before, it threatens Rapidash and also not too bad vs Pineco. Earthquake is a powerful STAB move that threatens GSC NU’s many Fire and Rock types as well as Electric types and Weezing. Rock Slide is needed to 3HKO Xatu, Fearow, and Pineco, and it has a nasty flinch chance which can potentially break open Xatu with some luck. Screech is a potentially devastating move on Dugtrio that can snowball really fast when paired with Substitute. For example, Screeching a Xatu as it uses Rest means it has to switch or take heavy damage, letting Dugtrio Sub and then screech something else coming in to threaten it greatly. Screech is a deadly tool when paired with Substitute, often taking advantage of bad RestTalk rolls and can let it potentially break through many foes it often struggles against, such as Wigglytuff. Substitute pairs well with Screech as I’ve gone over, but its just fantastic on Dugtrio in general, letting it dodge status and take advantage of the many switches Dugtrio forces. Dugtrio is always a threat and I think as long as you still have it alive, you haven’t lost the game yet(well unless they have some weird mon that counters it like Tangela LOL).

:gs/Xatu:
Xatu @ Leftovers
IVs: 26 Def
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

GSC NU’s raid boss, Xatu is an immediately powerful and fast special attacker that threatens a lot of the tier and can be tough to switch into in the endgame. Its typing and immunity to Spikes lets it check threats like Primeape, Gloom, and Dugtrio quite well, giving it consistent defensive use despite its seemingly unimpressive defensive stats. Psychic is Xatu’s main STAB, and threatens common Poison-types like Weezing and Gloom and Fighting-types like Primeape and Hitmonlee among other threats. Xatu is also one of the few Pokemon able to safely defeat Kingler, a massively threatening setup sweeper with extremely limited counter play because it 2HKOs virtually the entire tier and there are few Pokemon able to outspeed and 2HKO it. Hidden Power Ice is the second move, mostly because it 3HKOs opposing Xatu, which is useful because Xatu is otherwise good at walling itself and Xatu can often find itself fighting opposing Xatu. With Hidden Power Ice, Xatu also has a guaranteed good Sleep Talk pull against Dugtrio and Gloom when RestTalking. Rest + Sleep Talk gives Xatu great longevity and use in games, also letting it heal off status like Gloom’s Stun Spore. Xatu is a pivotal member of the team, working well in any game state and providing consistent offensive power.

:gs/Weezing:
Weezing @ Leftovers
IVs: 6 HP / 28 Atk / 28 Def
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunder
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Weezing is a powerful mixed attacker that has defensive use against threats like Primeape and the tiers many Normal-types. Sludge Bomb is its primary attack and annoying to switch into especially because of its 30% Poison chance, which can really annoy Ground-types. Thunder crucially 2HKOs Xatu, which can make it weary of coming in, especially because of the paralysis chance potentially meaning it can fail to find an opportunity to Rest. Thunder also deals heavy damage to Water-types like Dewgong, Octillery, and Azumarill, as well as hitting Fearow hard. Explosion is an amazing tool and safety net against powerful setup sweepers like Curse Stantler and Kingler. It can also lure in threats and remove them from the game, for example Exploding on an opposing Weezing can really open up Primeape to sweep. Explosion is truly one of the best moves in the game and Weezing is the best user in this tier, and turns it act as a powerful mixed attacking tank that has a potentially OHKO button, which is nuts lol. Hidden Power Grass is the fourth move, useful for hitting Ground-types like Dugtrio, Graveler, and Pupitar, as well as Sudowoodo. It can potentially lure these threats in and KO them, which is useful for Fearow considering it hates Rock-types. Weezing is very physically bulky and counters Primeape, giving it a clean opportunity to switch in against one of the tiers best Pokemon. Its also solid at switching into Normal-types.

:gs/Octillery:
Octillery @ Leftovers
IVs: 14 HP / 28 Atk
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Octillery is a key member that holds the team togheter. Its typing and good bulk let it act as an answer to Pokemon like Dugtrio, Xatu, Sudowoodo, and the tiers Fire-types like Rapidash and Ninetales. Octillery is great at trading hits with the tier as a result of its bulk and strong Surf as a result, making it a difficult Pokemon to handle without something like Chinchou. Hidden Power Electric is preferred over Ice Beam on this team due to the team being a bit uncommon at switching into Water types like Dewgong and opposing Octillery, but Octillery can switch in and threaten them well. RestTalk makes Octillery a great tank that can stick around and check the threats I already mentioned. In general, Octillery is an incredible and reliable Pokemon that really makes this team function.

:gs/Fearow:
Fearow @ Leftovers
- Double-Edge
- Drill Peck
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Fearow is a very fast and powerful physical attacker that is difficult to handle without a Rock-type due to its power and Speed as well as Normal STAB not being resisted by much else. Fearow 2HKOs important Pokemon like Dugtrio, Magmar, and Xatu, which is useful considering how often these Pokemon are paired together. Fearow’s speed also lets it revenge kill threats like Primeape and Xatu as well, which can be useful in the even that Weezing goes down and Xatu is weakened. RestTalk Fearow is similar to RestTalk Xatu in the regard that its Spikes immunity and decent bulk let it come in more often than one might think, notably avoiding a 2HKO from Xatu’s Psychic without recoil in the picture. With double strong STABs in Double-Edge and Drill Peck Fearow has a good Sleep Talk roll against a majority of the tier when RestTalking as well. Fearow is supported by the fact this team has a good few reliable switchins to Rock-types, such as Dugtrio, Octillery, and Primeape.

:gs/Primeape:
Primeape @ Leftovers
- Cross Chop
- Rock Slide
- Substitute
- Meditate

Primeape is very fast and very powerful. With an above average Attack stat and excellent Speed, it is immediately an offensive powerhouse, and threatens the many Normal- and Rock-types running around, and after a Meditate boost, Primeape 2HKOs every Pokemon that doesn’t resist Cross Chop and even hurts most resists with it. Primeape’s main attack, Cross Chop, also has a boosted crit rate which allows Primeape to potentially break through Curse boosted Normal-types and further improve its damage dealing potential(+1 Crit Cross Chop deals over 80% to Shuckle). Primeape pairs fantastically with Fearow and Xatu, combating each other’s weaknesses quite well. Its a monster in the endgame when its checks such as Weezing and Xatu are gone or weakened and rounds the team nicely. On this team i’m running the standard SubMeditate set, but I have used Thunder over Meditate on this team before, which smacks Xatu real hard so give it a try!
Dugtrio @ Leftovers
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Screech
- Substitute

Xatu @ Leftovers
IVs: 26 Def
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Weezing @ Leftovers
IVs: 6 HP / 28 Atk / 28 Def
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunder
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Octillery @ Leftovers
IVs: 14 HP / 28 Atk
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Fearow @ Leftovers
- Double-Edge
- Drill Peck
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Primeape @ Leftovers
- Cross Chop
- Rock Slide
- Substitute
- Meditate

Threatlist

:gs/Magnemite: :gs/Chinchou:

While I have several ways of threatening both, they are difficult to switch into. Magnemite walls Xatu and Fearow, and while it is OHKOd by Primeape and Dugtrio, switching into Thunder and Hidden Power Ice is tough. Chinchou entirely walls Octillery and the whole Dugtrio into Thunder or Surf dilemma is a pain.

:gs/Magmar:

Big pain to switch into. Octillery does resist Fire Blast and threatens it greatly, but is outspeed and 3HKOd by Thunder Punch. The other mons are 2HKOd by Fire Blast, but I do have several ways of revenge killing Magmar.

:gs/Pineco: :gs/Weezing: :gs/Sudowoodo: :gs/Graveler:

This team doesn’t have a Normal-resist, so I pretty much have to sac something once something uses Explosion or Self Destruct in Sudowoodo’s case. Graveler and Sudo in return wall Fearow, and Weezing completely walls Primeape.

Closing Words
GSC NU is p good. I’ve put so much time into playing and helping others learn it for over a year now, and always playing, discussing, and building it with others. GSC NU was the first oldgen tier I played and I hold it dear to me. I don’t care that GSC NU is a niche tier, or that it has LC Pokemon or whatever, as long as a tier is fun to play, balanced, and competitive than I’m all for that, and GSC NU is all of those things and more. This tier is really fun, both to play and to build, which is why I’ve stuck around with it for so long. It’s been great to develop this tier and spread the word out about how great it is and I hope to see that continue!

susciety ty for the title omg. Your my best friend on this site and while we talk hella shit about our ability to play Pokemon daily your goated

Earthworm Siatam FNH cherryb0ng Lobissa File 13 and other GSC lower tier goons, ty for playing this tier and discussing / testing it with me

Trevelion Links Aurodian Ainzcrad Waves the cosmic / strikers goons all go L2P

@Roa Auth been nice staffing the room with you there’s too many tho not tagging all

Other people like faded love kalifguest22 CinnaToast yall are nice to talk to don’t think I forgot you OO
[/CENTER]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)