Field Control

Field Control. (Approved by Eevee General)
This meta game is about manipulating the playing field by adding various field conditions to suit the needs and wants of your pokemon, while trying to stop your opponent from doing the same.

[Insert super cool art here]

This is how it works:

Along with their abilities, pokemon introduce a field condition dependent on their nickname every time they switch in or mega evolve. It acts like Drizzle or other weather inducing abilities in that its practically just uses the move (Rain Dance) upon mega evolve or switch.

Field condition = Nickname

Rain = Rain
Hail = Hail
Intense Sunlight = Sunlight
Sandstorm = Sandstorm
Grassy Terrain = Grassy
Misty Terrain = Misty
Electric Terrain = Electric
Gravity = Gravity
Magnet Rise = Magnet
Trick Room = Trick
Magic Room = Magic
Wonder Room = Wonder
Mist = Mist
Light Screen = Light
Reflect = Reflect
Safeguard = Safe
Lucky Chant = Lucky
Tail Wind = Tail
Water Sport = Water
Mud Sport = Mud
Fairy Lock = Fairy
Crafty Shield = Crafty

So everything generally lasts 5 turns but the duration can be increased if your pokemon is holding the given item. e.g. Damp Rock, Light Clay.

All mechanics remain pretty much the same as in sending in a pokemon named Trick while Trick Room is active will cancel Trick Room's effect, and Light Screen / Reflect are still removed by Defog and Brick Break. Weathers also cancel each other out.

You could have a Swift Swim Mega Swampert named Rain, or a Mega Houndoom named Sunlight.
Perhaps you would rather stall with things like a Chansey named Reflect, or a Skarmory named Light.
Maybe you wish to have Grass Pelt Gogoat named Grassy, or a Gravity Landorus-T.
You might like to have your own personal Trick Room whenever you switch in for one of the many powerful TR sweepers. Or Magic Room on any Mega-evolution to disable your opponents items.
These might not all be the best examples but at the end of the day there are gonna be a lot of crazy things running around.

Hope you all enjoy discussing sets.

Not coded.

Last edited:
First thoughts (mostly on random unusual things):

Sweepers will like Misty a lot, since it prevents status. Fairy types will also appreciate the damage boost, of course.

Reflect Blissey with Light Clay sounds really obnoxious, though the limited duration is a problem.

Trick Room Victini will be even more obnoxious than usual.

Trick (Rampardos) @ Choice Band / Life Orb / Expert Belt
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Hammer Arm
filler

It's nickname sets up Trick Room for 5 rounds after it comes in and the EVs and IVs give it 471 Attack and only 108 speed. Use Head Smash to wreck things, Earthquake and Hammer Arm are there for coverage. Choice Band gives you maximum power, Life Orb gives you high power and ability to change moves, but drops a lot of HP. Expert Belts still gives a boost while faking a choice item.

You can do a similar thing with Mega Ampharos. Also, this:

Sunlight (Darmanitan) @ Life Orb / Heat Rock
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Brick Break

Sets up sunlight, has the second highest attack stat of all fire types (only Mega Blaziken has a higher attack stat), and nukes stuff with Life Orb Sheer Force Flare Blitz. Other stuff is only there for coverage. Heat Rock makes the sunlight last longer, but lowers your damage output.
Again, you can do something similar with Chandelure, only special.

Sandstorm (Garchomp) @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
filler
Sets up Sandstorm and wrecks things with Sand Force-boosted Earthquake and Stone Edge. Dragon Claw / Outrage provides dragon-type STAB.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Trick room's going to be the most dominant playstyle by far now that things like mega camel and set up their own room for free. Teams might have to run their own trick room setters just to negate opposing trick room. Basically anything slow is just going to run it because there's no reason not to.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
oooh, this meta sounds fun AND interesting. some obvious posted stuff is trick rooms dominance and whatnot. some interesting things i noticed, is gravity essentailly gives a free compoundeyes boost, so for rain teams, hydro pump not missing during their 8 turns of rain could help greatly especially with blizzard being possible coverage. also running more then 2 trick roomers(via naming it trick might i add) could be bad due to conflict in interest, since when one goes in, the other cancels trick room upon entry, making teambuilding very essential for trick room teams, and needing a reliable trick room user that can consistantly provide for its team. also purely theorymon, but some fun stuff i thought of:

Reflect (Xatu) @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- U-Turn
- Roost
- Toxic/Thunder Wave
- psychic

Light (Rotom-W) @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump

YES, FINALLY A META WHERE I CAN HOPEFULLY USE XATU EFFECTIVELY. basically, the idea of this set, is to provide bulk for teams (obviously) via Volturn, meanwhile using a pokemon that synergizes well with xatu, to provide light screen, now, of course using 2 pokemon for reflect and light screen sounds completely stupid, however these pokemon still maintain their main utility, while only providing MORE for the team in terms of magic bounce, status, good typings(that synergise well) and Rotom checking some threats i imagine will still be potent (talonflame for example whom still has priority brave bird). to be completely honest, i dont really know what type of team EXACTLY would appriciate this core, especially since ive yet to try it out myself (due to it being currently impossible) however, i feel like offensive set-up teams would love the ability to be able to have so much momentum on their side, and being able to either set up with a reflect/light screen up, or being able to immediately set up the opposite screen on a switch, all at the cost of a extra pokemon slot, which still fulfills a purpose for the team to justify using it. and obviously if you would rather xatu have light screen and rotom have reflect, that is a perfectly acceptable trade off also the weird natures are mainly to outslow fast offensive teams, and outspeed (and thus, outslow) trick room teams mainly for momentum, and so they absorb hits so your sweepers get in safely.

and just to say f@#$ you to stall, meet your revamped favorite stallbreaker:

Safe (Sableye) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Recover

OH ITS SAFE ALLRIGHT. seriously though, why safeguard of all things? just to spite those annoying toxic/burn pokemon that you have to switch into. plus sable is pretty solid without using any of those other effects, allthough reflect/light screen could help with its bulk problems, this effect helps deal with the most-likely-going-to-be-viable stall/semistall in the teir. min speed is because why not, its not like its going to outspeed fast teams, and might as well outspeed TR teams amirite? better prepare dual safeguard stall imo.

No Lucky Chant, crits still reign supreme :(.

I expect stall to be very good in this metagame though. 6 Reflect/Light Screen mons alongside stuff like wonder room Chansey or Magnet Rise Heatran sounds very difficult to break on paper and I doubt that it'll be different in practice.

No Lucky Chant, crits still reign supreme :(.

I expect stall to be very good in this metagame though. 6 Reflect/Light Screen mons alongside stuff like wonder room Chansey or Magnet Rise Heatran sounds very difficult to break on paper and I doubt that it'll be different in practice.
Added Lucky Chant to OP so it wasn't left out.

MAMP

MAMP!
Defensive Pokemon getting free screens whenever they come in is ridiculous. Reflect Chansey and Light Screen Skarm/Slowbro are nigh unbreakable.

Defensive Pokemon getting free screens whenever they come in is ridiculous. Reflect Chansey and Light Screen Skarm/Slowbro are nigh unbreakable.
A lot of people are mentioning this and I did ask Eevee General if it would be too broken before approval. Basically we figured that it could be manageable with defog and brick break but if it is too over centralising I'll just remove it. There is also the massive buff to wall breakers like Sandstorm MegaChomp. But before this is coded we can't know for sure how broken the screens will be. Just know that do feel the same way about screens and will be sure to quick ban them if they are too strong.

EDIT: Also Infiltrator.

Yay tr teams gonna rek everything
Also, is there a condition for normal sunlight/ intense rain?
Tailwind should also be a thing IMO (watch that become broken)

Yay tr teams gonna rek everything
Also, is there a condition for normal sunlight/ intense rain?
Tailwind should also be a thing IMO (watch that become broken)
"Normal Sunlight" IS intense sunlight. I believe Desolate Land summons "harsh sunlight". And we don't want to give out Primal Weathers, do we?

Heal Block and Telekinesis should be here. Also, Water Sport and Mud Sport. Not Hazards tho. That would be terrifying to have an auto-spike setter on switch-in.

"Normal Sunlight" IS intense sunlight. I believe Desolate Land summons "harsh sunlight". And we don't want to give out Primal Weathers, do we?

Heal Block and Telekinesis should be here. Also, Water Sport and Mud Sport. Not Hazards tho. That would be terrifying to have an auto-spike setter on switch-in.
Thanks for clarifying that. And honestly, a mud sport/water sport insta set up sounds like a good idea. I can see stall becoming very prominent in this play style as screens and damage reduction via weather

Gravity plus Fire Ground =perfect coverage
Its nice that things can's float at all gravity is active. and there is no way to dispel gravity either with trick room support camerupt is going to be difficult to stop.
and greninja gets Blizzard to spam
or a less accurate more powerfull hydro pump.
rain-belly drum azmarill= doom
mega pigeot will get double power heat wave and the only sun proof hurricane
dragalage gets a lot of power behind it's moves with draco meteor, hydropump, sludge bomb, thunder.
rest hydro can be good with vaporeon/goodra
you realize that rain is going to kill every thing now bettween Swampert/ kingdra/ ludicolo/ kabutops, azmuaril nothing can relay survive.
rock types are happy, assult vest sand storm i get the fealing is going to allow alot of things to become mixed tankes
drizzle noivern should be able to dish out some damage even if it will have trouble with nerfing its own fire moves
bulky special dragonite with rain
Trick room things will be evil

Last edited:
Sweepers will like Misty a lot, since it prevents status. Fairy types will also appreciate the damage boost, of course.
Misty Terrain would only constitute a damage increase for Special Fairies that get Nature Power and not Moon Blast -which is literally Cottonee. Not Whimsicott. Cottonee. Misty Terrain only protects against statues and halves Dragon move damage -it provides zero offensive benefit, unless you count changing Nature Power. In practice Misty Terrain's only offensive benefits are A: protection from Burn (And only if you're grounded) and B: providing Moon Blast to Non-Fairy Special attackers with Nature Power.

Really the only reason to run Misty Terrain over Safeguard is to screw over opposing Dragon types, if you're not using Nature Power. Otherwise it's directly inferior to Safeguard, extending protection to enemy grounded Pokemon and not to allied non-grounded Pokemon.

Nature Power itself finally offers interesting coverage options for a number of Pokemon, generally speaking. Moon Blast? Sure. Energy Ball? Why not. Thunderbolt? Absolutely. (Of these Energy Ball is the least relevant -a much higher proportion of Nature Power users also get Energy Ball than the other two moves)

Magnet Rise is really cool, addressing all the problems with Magnet Rise as a move.

Tailwind is kind of terrifying other than the fact that Trick Room laughs at it. Though keep in mind multiple Pokemon named Trick is going to be constantly setting and unsetting Trick Room, so you shouldn't have too many Pokemon with it on the team. 1-3, or something like that?

Gravity is great for hazards teams. Yes yes, you're immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes not anymore.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
since heal block is actually a variation of taunt, rather then a field move, i dont think it should be counted(otherwise stall is officially dead lel screw my sableye set), or you should also add embargo, taunt, and torment into that list. which practically destroys the metagame. its also the only one out of all of the current list that can be bounced back via magic coat, further justifying my point that its not a field effect.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sandstorm (Garchomp) @Brightpowder
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 atk 252 Spe 4 Def

Substitute
Swords Dance
Dragon Claw/Stone Edge
Earthquake

RIP

canno

formerly The Reptile
which is literally Cottonee. Not Whimsicott. Cottonee.
Except both of them get it by TM, and even if only Cottonee got it for some reason Whimsicott would get it by Cottonee anyways.

Speaking of Cott, Specs Cotton Ball go!

Misty (Whimsicott) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nature Power
- Energy Ball
- Switcheroo
- Memento

The big deal from this is that Whimsicott has Prankster Moonblast due to Nature Power being a status move, which makes it somewhat similar to Talonflame. Choice Specs Moonblast will hopefully hit hard and surprise your opponent. Energy Ball is second STAB over Giga Drain because you need the power. Last 2 slots are w/e. I put Switcheroo and Memento to fuck around with your opponent but HP Ground or something might be worth the investment.

This is probably very gimmicky but its a cute gimmick so why not.

Last edited:
since heal block is actually a variation of taunt, rather then a field move, i dont think it should be counted(otherwise stall is officially dead lel screw my sableye set), or you should also add embargo, taunt, and torment into that list. which practically destroys the metagame. its also the only one out of all of the current list that can be bounced back via magic coat, further justifying my point that its not a field effect.
I don't see how it is a variation of Taunt rather than a field move given that Taunt is single target where as Heal Block affects all pokemon on the opposing side of the field for 5 turns. I also feel that it helps balance out stall after Reflect and Light Screen take over. However it is a good answer to stall, it doesn't directly benefit any one of your pokemon and with 21 nick names to choose from, it may not be that common. Having a pokemon named Heal, will be as a direct check to Stall, rather than helping out that pokemon or your team with boosts and hence could be dead weight against non-stall teams. One thing is for sure I doubt that you will see more than 1 Heal Block pokemon on a team so if you can kill that pokemon you're set. I wouldn't worry to much about your Sableye, it'll still be good.

Which reminds me, trapping may be very strong in this meta. With 21 different nick names and various nick names not stacking well (Trick Room and Heal Block) as well as a generally desire for diversity, trapping key pokemon that counter your team and eliminating them could be a strong strategy. If a team only has 1 or 2 Trick Room setters and you can pick them off you are at a massive advantage.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
I don't see how it is a variation of Taunt rather than a field move given that Taunt is single target where as Heal Block affects all pokemon on the opposing side of the field for 5 turns. I also feel that it helps balance out stall after Reflect and Light Screen take over. However it is a good answer to stall, it doesn't directly benefit any one of your pokemon and with 21 nick names to choose from, it may not be that common. Having a pokemon named Heal, will be as a direct check to Stall, rather than helping out that pokemon or your team with boosts and hence could be dead weight against non-stall teams. One thing is for sure I doubt that you will see more than 1 Heal Block pokemon on a team so if you can kill that pokemon you're set. I wouldn't worry to much about your Sableye, it'll still be good.

Which reminds me, trapping may be very strong in this meta. With 21 different nick names and various nick names not stacking well (Trick Room and Heal Block) as well as a generally desire for diversity, trapping key pokemon that counter your team and eliminating them could be a strong strategy. If a team only has 1 or 2 Trick Room setters and you can pick them off you are at a massive advantage.
It isn't a field effect though, as it's targeted and it can be reflected by magic bounce.

Heal Block - "For five turns, the user prevents the opposing team from using any moves, Abilities, or held items that recover HP." BW-ORAS

This quote definitely suggests that it is a field effect, its just targeting the opposing side of the field rather than the users side or the entire field.

Saying it is reflected by magic bounce means absolutely nothing, its just like how Reflect and Light Screen are stolen by Snatch.

Macho Brace is a new Choice Scarf, and both get a lot more situational -- provided that Trick Room is as dominant as I suspect it will be. Flinching looks unreliable by the same token, so RIP Jirachi and Togekiss. Speaking of, maybe Shaymin-S could get looked at again? Its ability to outspeed and flinch things is unreliable.

Mega Aggron looks usable in this meta:

Light (Aggron) @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Atk / 16 Def
Nature: Adamant
- Brick Break
- Heavy Slam / Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Ice Punch / Earthquake / Stealth Rock

Light Screen for da bulk, Brick Break to break opposing screens, a STAB move of choice, Rock Slide for Talonflame, and either rocks or a coverage option. Doesn't really mind being out of Trick Room due to its bulk, but does prefer to switch out occasionally to reset its screens.

Klefki gets both screens up with priority on T1 if you give it a screen name (ha!), and it gets a moveslot for something like Thunder Wave or Foul Play.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
Guess who's back:

BATON PASS

Tail (Azelf) @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Explosion

Trick (Whimsicott) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Memento
- Tailwind
- Stun Spore

Tail (Cottonee) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Tailwind
- Stun Spore
- Memento

Gravity (Smeargle) (M) @ Power Herb
Ability: Own Tempo
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Def / 40 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Geomancy
- Cotton Guard
- Dark Void
- Baton Pass

Magic / Whatever (Espeon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 200 HP / 224 Def / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Stored Power
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Morning Sun

Electric / Trick (Diancie) @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Nature Power / Magnet Rise or something lol
- Earth Power
- Psyshock

The auto field effects make it much easier to set up your necessary screens and tailwind, essentially giving you one free pokemon to work with. I kept the basic structure of the team and gave it a bit more utility, with Trick room setters to counter other trick room setters. You can run Trick Room on either Espeon or Diancie, just not both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)