I finished my Junior year:
French 2: A-
AP Art History: A-
Chemistry Honors: A
Pre Calculus Honors: A
PE: A
US History: A-
English 3: A

Even though I took 1 AP class I took 10 tests for the hell of it and got six 5's. W00t... even though it means nothing for admissions...

My projected Senior schedule will be:
AP Statistics
French 3
AP Physics B
AP Microeconomics / Honors Government
AP Environmental Science
AP Calculus BC
AP English Literature

Sigh... I wish my schedule for all 4 years is as rigorous as my Senior year. Now I won't make it into any of the top colleges because of my shitty Fresh and Soph years and my mediocre Junior year and SAT scores (2100).

Even though I took 1 AP class I took 10 tests for the hell of it and got six 5's. W00t... even though it means nothing for admissions...

My projected Senior schedule will be:
AP Statistics
French 3
AP Physics B
AP Microeconomics / Honors Government
AP Environmental Science
AP Calculus BC
AP English Literature

Sigh... I wish my schedule for all 4 years is as rigorous as my Senior year. Now I won't make it into any of the top colleges because of my shitty Fresh ans Soph years and my mediocre Junior year and SAT scores (2100).
Damn. Six 5s? That's ridiculous. How come your SAT scores aren't higher? The only 5s I ever got were in US and European history. I got a freakin 2 on Chem (and was almost satisfied) but we have the same SAT score (well, mine's 2080 right now). With a senior schedule like that you should do fine applying places. Maybe take the SATs again?

Another problem is that my problem is that my ECs are mundane and terrible.

I actually did take the SAT again, but got lower (2090) and I will take it 1 more time in October. If I don't make careless errors I should get 700 on CR, 800 on M, and 730+ on Writing. Unfortunately, careless errors are so easily made.

Honestly, the AP tests are not hard. I self studied Comp. Gov. for a month and got a 5, Calc AB for 3 months and got a 5, Psychology for 2-3 weeks and got a 4, Human Geo for 2-3 weeks and got a 4. The only test I did bad on, Macroeconomics (3), resulted from only a few days of studying using Barron's thin review book. Chemistry shouldn't have been hard. I didn't take the class at school, but I asked for a private tutor, who taught me for 3 months. He also taught me Bio, which I never took at school, for 2 months. I got 5 on both.

Just finished first year Engineering here in Dublin. Results were good and so I'll be starting Mechanical Engineering in Second Year. Anybody else just finish their first year of an engineering degree? Just wondering what subjects you took. These were mine:

3 Maths ( Calculus/ Matrices/ Vectors/ Algebra...)
2 Physics (Mechanics/ Quantum/ Electromagnetism/ Nuclear)
Chemistry
Graphic Design
Electrical & Electronic Engineering (basics)
Computer Science
Mechanics for Engineers
Thermodynamics & Fluid Mechanics
Energy Challenges (elective)

6 A's, 4 B's, 2 C's

Also, one good thing is these grades required practically no work. We get a week off to study for our exams and studying was confined to that period. In which a lot of cramming was done...

Another problem is that my problem is that my ECs are mundane and terrible.

I actually did take the SAT again, but got lower (2090) and I will take it 1 more time in October. If I don't make careless errors I should get 700 on CR, 800 on M, and 730+ on Writing. Unfortunately, careless errors are so easily made.

Honestly, the AP tests are not hard. I self studied Comp. Gov. for a month and got a 5, Calc AB for 3 months and got a 5, Psychology for 2-3 weeks and got a 4, Human Geo for 2-3 weeks and got a 4. The only test I did bad on, Macroeconomics (3), resulted from only a few days of studying using Barron's thin review book. Chemistry shouldn't have been hard. I didn't take the class at school, but I asked for a private tutor, who taught me for 3 months. He also taught me Bio, which I never took at school, for 2 months. I got 5 on both.
I came into my classes 3 weeks after second semester had started and had no background. I also had to deal with baseball. I could've done better but really just didn't put in enough effort. I also got an appendectomy the week before the tests, which didn't help but shouldn't be an excuse. I'm in the same boat as you for Calc, but I decided to bump it up to BC (got a 4 and 4 AB subscore) because my parents once asked me to find the slope of some polynomials and I figured out differentiation and integration on my own from that. Those high scores in classes you didn't even take shows initiative and a passion for learning - make sure you point that out in your application!

How are your extracurriculars mundane? In my interviews with college people I tell them I love board games and solving Rubik's cubes and even though I don't do it at school they still love it.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, First half of my University year is done and I got a B-, B and a B+. Now I gotta make sure I do well for my next exams in October.

I always feel like my ECs are mundane, but in reality they're not, and other people consider them quite unusual and interesting. They only seem mundane to me because I do them all the time.

in Brazil, where I live, it doesnt matter your grades in school to enter university, you a certain amount on the test of the university you want to go, and your in! right now I am a high school freshman.

in Brazil, where I live, it doesnt matter your grades in school to enter university, you a certain amount on the test of the university you want to go, and your in! right now I am a high school freshman.
This is why I absolutely loathe the American admissions system? The "holistic" approach is overrated and wholly unnecessary. ECs, recommendations, and other minor factors (first generation, racial status, etc.) should not be, but unfortunately is, part of the admission process here.

That aside, I'm in a dilemma right now. To save time, my situation in explained clearly here: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/high-school-life/983432-scheduling-conflict.html

I would also like to add that I have taken more math than science classes in high school and I've done worse in science (D in freshman Earth Science) than in math, more reasons why I should take APES than Stats. But of course, there still remains the issue of whether it'll matter at all which of the two to take. If it doesn't matter, I prefer stats as I'm much more of a math person. My intended major, astrophysics (or Astronomy) is a science, so methods used in APES would be more applicable. But it's a math-based science, so in that sense Stats would be more meaningful.

Can someone with insights into admissions give me advice? I'm so torn between the two options.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You're torn because you can't take 6 APs? Christ calm down. Really, admissions don't care whether you pick Stats or ES, because quite frankly, both those classes come down to which you like better, and which you can do better in. You have the maths, and the sciences, so it's not like you're going to be rejected if you forgo the other option. Heck, my major is Pre med, and I never touched Bio.

And furthermore, if you're taking astrophysics, why aren't you taking Chemistry? Most admissions like Physics+Chemistry for the physical sciences.

Edit: Reading through the thread, looks like you've already taken Chem. So chill, and take whichever course is more enjoyable

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
Starting my first semester as a Freshman at Villanova University on Monday. I was invited in late July to the honors program (I didn't apply) so I am an Honors student as well.

From my AP Credits, I go into Villanova with 37 credits, which is about 2 1/3 semesters worth of credits. I am hoping to either: Graduate in 3 / Double Major / 5 Year Masters Program.

But as of right now I am an undecided major, but leaning towards Political Science with concentrations in International Relations and East Asian affairs.

My classes:
Freshman Theology
Honors Intro to Philosophy
Honors The Literary Experience (If I got a 4 on AP English I would have gotten credit for this too but ohh well)
Intro to Japanese
International Relations

First class is 9:30 on MWF and 1:00! on Tu/Th. Hopefully I can get off to a good start this semester.

I would suggest taking a math/science to further your reasoning ability, a skill I believe to be essential in politics, especially international relations.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Some count them as fulfilling requirements so you don't have to take that class at all, others consider AP scores as something to push you to the next level (aka skip the introductory course and move on to a more advanced level but you still have to fulfill the class).

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
I would suggest taking a math/science to further your reasoning ability, a skill I believe to be essential in politics, especially international relations.
Taken care of in high school with Calc AB and BC and Physics C. No need for me to take higher level courses in those areas.

At Villanova if you received a certain score on an AP test (generally a 4 or higher) then they give you credit for that class. Only if the class is in your major do you get put into a higher level class. For example if I was an Engineering major then I would be put into Calc 3 / Differential Equations.

Does that mean you don't have the same level of accreditation across the different universities? Since some universities credit high school subjects as university level etc.?

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GCSE results have just been released for year 11 in the UK!
I'm extremely pleased with what I earned;
History - B
Science A* / Additional Science A*
Double Applied ICT - A*/A*
English Literature A
English Language A*
Mathematics A*
AS Leve GCE Mathematics C
French A
Music A

So, indeed I get to go to my fancy, private boarding school with 66% Scholarship.

Niiiiiiice.

My Grades-

Triple Award Science- A* A* A*
Maths- A*
Statistics- A*
Additional Maths- A (highest grade, its a freestanding qualification or some shit)
English - A*
English Lit- A*
Geography- A*
Spanish- A* for writing and reading, A for speaking and listening
Art and Design- C

I got my requirements and one of the best results in our year so :)

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nice GCSE results guys!

AS module UMS scores:

Maths - MEI - I'm doing this all in the wrong order, but my results for the easy modules are good

(Mathematics C1 from Jan 100/100)
Mathematics C2 - 100/100
Mathematics D1 - 100/100
Mathematics S1 - 97/100
Mathematics FP1 - 92/100
Mathamatics S2 - 82/100

History - AQA

Life in Nazi Germany - 93/100
The Reformation in Europe - 96/100

Sciences - Edexcel

Chem 1 - 112/120
Chem 2 - 120/120
Coursework - 57/60

Physics 1 - 115/120
Physics 2 - 120/120
Coursework - 55/60

Overall, I'm pretty pleased as these are all As, though when applying to Cambridge this alone is not enough. Hopefully it should guarantee me an interview at least.

Does that mean you don't have the same level of accreditation across the different universities? Since some universities credit high school subjects as university level etc.?
This is very true, even among elite universities and colleges (I can't actually cite specific examples but talking to people this is true). I was recently visiting Grinnell College in Iowa. Good school, rather small. The math classes there were almost high school level, while the lab sciences were ridiculously intense. I then went to Macalester College in St. Paul. Slightly lower tier than Grinnell, but math classes much more intense. Sciences a bit lower level. Scoring a 4 or higher (sometimes 3+ or 5 - varies greatly) on an AP test will often give you the option of skipping the lower level course in that subject in College. Most schools do not give credit but treat it like a placement exam. Some do give credit. So you see why this is a big deal for us.

On a side note: I CAN TAKE AP TESTS MORE THAN ONCE!!!!!!!!!!11111111111eleven I am so happy I could cry. I really want to get 4/5 on every test (ergo, retaking physics and chem next May). Gonna study REALLY hard for this. Physics won't be so bad because I'm doing electricity and magnetism independent study, so I'll just work some mechanics into the curriculum.

Starting my first semester as a Freshman at Villanova University on Monday. I was invited in late July to the honors program (I didn't apply) so I am an Honors student as well.

From my AP Credits, I go into Villanova with 37 credits, which is about 2 1/3 semesters worth of credits. I am hoping to either: Graduate in 3 / Double Major / 5 Year Masters Program.

But as of right now I am an undecided major, but leaning towards Political Science with concentrations in International Relations and East Asian affairs.

My classes:
Freshman Theology
Honors Intro to Philosophy
Honors The Literary Experience (If I got a 4 on AP English I would have gotten credit for this too but ohh well)
Intro to Japanese
International Relations

First class is 9:30 on MWF and 1:00! on Tu/Th. Hopefully I can get off to a good start this semester.
Hey I'm at Villanova too!

I'm an engineering major though so they more or less chose my schedule for me:

Gen Chem
Chem Lab
Calc II
ACS
Theology
Intro to Engineering

I'm also running here
Exactly. You need a 4 at Villanova but at UNH you need a 3 generally to get college credit. Depends entirely on the school.

Another thing though is that some schools (like Villanova) force you to take their version of a course whether you have credit or not. For example, ACS, or Augustine Critical Skills I think it's called, very much resembles an English or a Literature class. There is reading, writing, and discussion. I "tested out" of the Literature class here because I got a 5 on the AP Test, however, I have to take ACS instead. In the end, getting that credit for Literature won't do me any good at Villanova because even the elective credit is useless as my Euro History and US History credits cover all the non-engineering based elective credits I need.

Also you don't have to take the credit. I got a 5 on Calculus BC/II but I decided to take it again for the GPA boost and to start off with easier classes for my Freshman year. Not sure if I regret that decision yet or not.

I'm starting my freshman year at Brown. We have no set curriculum so I can just take whatever I want. I'm taking 4 classes.

ITAL0751 When Leaders Lie: Machiavelli in International Context (this is a freshman only seminar)
MATH0100 Introductory Calculus II
PHIL0080 Existentialism
ECON1110 Intermediate Microeconomics

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)