First Attempt at an NU Team

This is my first attempt at making a serious team, I am straying from the other orthodox tiers like OU and UU because I really like the outcasted pokemon left in the NU tier. They have been some of my favorites growing up and would love for some suggestions to help my first team possibly to have some success.

As a side note: I really appreciate anyone who is willing to help me. I understand I'm not a real expert at this and would like to say thank you for anyone helping out.

Team at a Glance: Emolga, Weezing, Butterfree, Stantler, Gardevoir, Alomomola

Emolga @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 248Hp/8Def/252Spe
Moveset:
-Encore
-Taunt
-Agility
-Baton Pass

I chose Emolga because of its speed. With its base speed it can outspeed all base 100s and anything not scarf'd in the tier to get that taunt out right away. If I'm feeling lucky, attempt to get an Agility passed to one of my sweepers preferably Stantler or Butterfree. Emolga however does lack an attack which can really screw me. I was thinking Charge Beam or Volt Switch in place of Encore but am open to suggestions. However, Encore can get me an extra boost of speed if the opponent doesn't feel forced to switch. The ability has also had me second guessing myself. This team I was hoping for Status and Hax; Static rather than Motor Drive will help with the status but Motor Drive can potential help cover against electric attacks as well as boosting speed to pass.

Butterfree @ ? (thinking Leftovers)
Timid Nature
Ability: Compoundeyes
EVs: 6Hp/252SpAtk/252Spe
Moveset:
-Sleep Powder
-Supersonic (was thinking HP Fire)
-Bug Buzz
-Quiver Dance

I chose Butterfree solely because I like this pokemon. Compoundeyes is awesome for a rarely missed Sleep Powder and Supersonic. I can put something to sleep then confuse it for the chance it wakes up. I can get awesome boosts from Quiver Dance which really makes Butterfree shine, especially if Emolga can pass an Agility first. Bug Buzz is the obvious STAB to go with. However, I was thinking HP Fire for some more coverage but was unsure because Supersonic has really helped me out in the past when pokemon wake up from their slumber. I'm also trying to decide between items, I was thinking leftovers but wide lens also appealed to me for more accuracy but I may be completely wrong in my thinking. So again I'm open to suggestions.

Stantler @ King's Rock
Jolly Nature
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 6Hp/252Atk/252Spe
Moveset:
-Confuse Ray
-Thunder Wave
-Stomp
-Hypnosis (was thinking Zen Headbutt for coverage)

Parafusion with a chance of sleep is how I like to think of Stantler. Parafusion can cripple other sweepers and the frustration from Stomp's flinch chance is just a satisfying sight. However, Ghost types really screw Stantler over. I can Parafuse them but that's about it before Stantler needs a switch (unless I remove Hypnosis for Zen Headbutt). I really enjoy using Stantler, it's a fun pokemon who can cause quite a bit of destruction.

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
Ability: Regenerator
Moveset:
-Wish
-Protect
-Waterfall
-Toxic

Alomomola is my gift from the sea. She offers wonderful support with one of the largest wishes thanks to her copious amount of health. The set is a rather standard one but helpful regardless. Wish really offers the most support to my team due to my lack of healing in other places. Toxic does it's typically wear and tear while Protect gets her health from leftovers and/or Wish. Waterfall is a nice STAB with the chance to flinch even though it's slim.
The DW Ability of Regenerate seems to be sent down from heaven with its instant healing upon the switch. Overall, very happy with her addition to my team.

Gardevoir @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252Hp/252SpDef/6Def
Moveset:
-Wish
-Heal Bell
-Will-O-Wisp (Toxic?)
-Psychic

Gardevoir adds the sexy factor to my team. She can be a great Special Wall as well as Support. I sacrificed Protect for Heal Bell because I realized status can screw me just like any other team and needed something to help out with that. Gardevoir's HP isn't fantastic but Wish support is Wish support in some cases. Heal Bell takes care of my status problems if I can afford to use it. Psychic for her STAB so she isn't Taunt bait. Will-O-Wisp to knock down some Attack power coming from other offensively strong pokes. I was thinking maybe Toxic instead since my next wall is using Will-O-Wisp as well. Her unfortunate weaknesses are a problem and I'm trying to find some way to work around them.

Weezing @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
Ability: Levitate
Evs: 252 Hp/252 Def/6 SpAtk
Moveset:
-Will-O-Wisp
-Pain Split
-Sludge Bomb
-Clear Smog

Weezing can work rather well with Gardevoir since Weezing's only Supereffective is Psychic types. Unfortunately for Gardevoir Weezing doesn't have a dark, bug, or ghost resistance. However, if the attacks coming are physical Weezing can take hits like the man he is. Weezing can benefit from Wish support as well but Pain Split is going to be one of his main ways of restoring health. Will-O-Wisp to wall physical attackers even more. Sludge Bomb for some STAB with chance of poison and Clear Smog to remove any modifers someone may be trying to set up on Weezing with. However, I have been thinking of replacing him with Bastiodon as of late so I can get a mixed wall with some entry hazard support (not to mention something that covers Gardevoir better).

Open to thoughts, once again thank you!

What I see from the team is a lack of an immediate offensive presence, I mean you have butterfree but even then it only has one attacking move (plus the pending HP fire) and butterfree really needs to set-up to succeed. Possibly replacing weezing or alomomola with another pokemon that can attack off the bat such as sawk or braviary.
Also props for using stantler but if you are going to use it as a "sweeper" then either give it a fully offensive movepool (which stantler has a lot of moves to chose from) or replace hypnosis with zen headbutt like you said.

epikkyogre78

Banned deucer.
What I see from the team is a lack of an immediate offensive presence, I mean you have butterfree but even then it only has one attacking move (plus the pending HP fire) and butterfree really needs to set-up to succeed. Possibly replacing weezing or alomomola with another pokemon that can attack off the bat such as sawk or braviary.
Also props for using stantler but if you are going to use it as a "sweeper" then either give it a fully offensive movepool (which stantler has a lot of moves to chose from) or replace hypnosis with zen headbutt like you said.
I agree with you.

I also think maybe you should turn Butterfree into a Tinted Lens set. Yes, you lose a lot of accuracy on Sleep Powder (you also won't be able to use Supersonic at all), but in return, you get either Substitute to protect you from status OR an extra coverage move like Hidden Power Ground to hit Probopass, Lairon, etc. Also, Tinted Lens powers up Bug Buzz by 2x if a Pokémon resists it, which means there will be a lot less Pokémon that can stop Butterfree once it gets going.
Also, I agree to implement the changes that SaurusHam said. Replace Weezing with a strong, fast, Choice Band/Scarf user. Specifically, Braviary. Such a frickin' beast.

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, if I saw this team on a team preview, I would not be threatened at all. I like the idea of your team, but for the most part, this team is not going to practically work.

First, emolga is definitely not used properly (like there is a way to use if properly). Having both encore and taunt is going to leave you open to attack, especially if it's in the lead position. If you use taunt on my lead piloswine or golem, for example, sure Im not going to get up rocks. However, first turn I would probably try and kill your emolga, as the worst you can do is u-turn or sub. It would be nive to have throughout the game as a surprise move, however, you would have a couple pokes very weak to rocks. Plus, boosting speed will not help any pokes except butterfree, as stantler utilizes thunderwave to already outspeed. I would suggest encore liepard (sub foul play or nasty plot) over your emolga, as not only is it not weak to S.R., but has priority with its moves. You could also try air balloon (or magnet rise) raichur as a lead electric pokes, as it can hit leads with grass knot or surf while avoiding earthquake. EElektross also works. CB mold breaker sawk can work but flat OHKOing leads.

Butterfree is a good poke, and is best utilized as a lead with focus sash or leftvoers,
and roost or air slash over supersonic. You cannot afford to miss supersonic, as butterfree is not going to live many physical moves. Roost gives you survivability, while air slash is a good stab that can give you flinches. Tinted lens also give you more coverage and attacking power, which is more beneficial than a more accurate sleep powder, especially with focus sash, which gives you 2 chances for sleep essentially.

Stantler is not good the way it is utilized. Just don't use it. Parafusion is an ok strategy, but it can only rely on a weak stomp to have any damage, while a poke can just switch if it received both statuses, and then you are screwed. The really only reliable paraflinchfusion poke is sub/air slash/thunder wave/confuse ray rotom-s, which is a very good poke in this meta, and can be used over emolga. I would use kangaskan or zangoose as a normal attacker, wtih kanga having more bulk and priority, while zangoose hits harder. Both give you potent physical attackers, and zangoose can be a win condition.

Alomomola is standard and fine.

I would like to know how well your gardevoir worked when you tested it; on paper, it looks like it might work, but I am not sure. Use will-o-wisp so that way you can take physical attacks better. Lickilicky can also do the same role as gardevoir, but if gardy works, then fine.

Weezing does nothing to this team, besides sit there and take hits. You don't need another poke that does that however, as alomomola can do that just fine. I think a bulky set-up poke would do you good for your team, as they can take an attack and then sweep. For this, I suggest life orb or splash plate jolly shell smash carracosta. This poke should not take many hits, but can come late game, set up a shell smash and be able to deal massive damage to your opponent.

Hope my suggestions helped, and good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)