First Ever RMT [UU]

EDIT: Forgot to put UU in title, can't seem to edit it, sorry

This is going to be awful... I need to warn you I have very little by way of knowledge and skill. I am desperately waiting for the battling 101 to reopen.

But anyway after a huge 5 wifi battles (2 wins, 3 losses, and 0 battles on shoddy) I am entering a 'just for fun' wifi competition elsewhere. The rules are standard stuff and it is a UU tournament.

Claydol @ leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252HP/144DEF/112SpAtk
Nature: Bold
Moves:
Stealth Rock - My only stealther
Rapid Spin - Also my only spinner
Shadow Ball
Earth Power

Standard 'Utility' set - watch out, all poke's will be standard as I don't know enough yet to start varying.

In my 5 games this has performed well in 4 of them, completely dominating one. It seems a superb lead as far as I am concerned and will take some convincing to let him go - but I am open to being convinced.

I had an obsession with stealth rock to begin with, rather than playing it 'by ear'. Seem to have beaten that in last 2 battles but always great to have a stealth rocker. Haven't actually come across any other rockers/spikers so wondering if I shouldnt replace Rapid spin? Or have I just got lucky?

His levitate has been helpful when predicting Eathquake, and also helped when predicting electric. Great lead for me as far as I can see.

Scyther@Lifeorb
Ability: Techinican
EVs: 252Atk/252Spd/4SpDef
Nature: Jolly
Moves: Brick Break
Swords Dance
Aerial Ace
U-Turn (slight variance from set here, simply because of breeding, forgot to get the right move on).

Great sweeper and probably my fave pokemon so would be loathe to lose it. Brought out late game after I have lost dodrio to sweep those needed. I do think him and dodrio might be overkill but I do love my sweepers

Has been my best performer, taking Pokes down left right and centre. Not used Brick break or swords dance yet - I am scared of losing him so the set up is a bit of a worry, maybe something I should get over (or replace if I can't)

Ampharos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EV's: 252Hp/80SpAtk/176SpDef
Nature: Modest
Moves:
Light Screen
Signal Beam
Discharge
Thunder Wave

I'm Welsh, therefore we love our sheep! (or at least sheep evo's). Seriously though a fine performer and an example of how I like my nonsweeping Pokemon - bulky but with hitting ability.

Again my 'set up' (or non attack moves) is something I become scared of - so light screen and thunder wave are generally wasted. REALLY need to try get into using them, though still unsure if in teh short term I wouldn't be better off replacing them - at least for the tournie.

Is pretty much my special wall and I have been impressed with how he has managed to soak up special attacks in UU. HOW is this guy NU???

Arcanine @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Ev's: 120 HP / 152 Atk / 236 Spe
Nature: Adamant
Extreme Speed
Toxic
Morning Glory
Flare Blitz

One of my fave Pokes but only just bred him and trained him and he didn't get out in the only battle he was selected for. I love my attacking types, especially with a bit of bulk, so this guy seems to suit that.

I saw a lack of fire moves as something of a weakness (steel says hi) so introduced him. Again toxic is a concern with my lack of using moves that have direct impact but I should imagine I may need one vs an unmoveable wall.

Whilst I am concerned that my two of my 4 semi 'bulky' Pokemon (arcanine and ampharos) are vunerable to ground moves I do have 3 Pokemon who are immune to them so that is something.

Exploud @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soundproof
104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Nature: Modest
Surf
Shadow Ball
OverHeat
Hyper Voice

Played two and performed badly in two. Would be the one I am most interested in dropping but I could just have played him badly and he is useful for those with ghost moves. Another that is useful as a slight tank (thanks HP)

But outside of immunity ghost moves I am finding his choice specs limiting and he is not really hitting much. Am VERY open to another special tank or special sweeper

Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Early Bird
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
Return
Pursuit
Brave Bird
Quick Attack

Another newbie (since I only have 5 battles that is relative). Performed well, sweeping a fair bit before going out. Decent revenge killer and someone I like to bring out to dent a wall before scyther sweeps.

Could be seen as overkill with scyther - and both have a vunerability to electic and ice (IIRC) so maybe should be replaced. Perhaps another physical tank? Ideally one that resists Ice beamers but I bow to more experience...

As you see I like a fairly offensive team with sweepers and tanks. I think maybe replacing Exploud would be a good call, and perhaps DoDrio with an out and out SpAtk sweeper

Whilst I like the first 3, especially scyther, there are no 'sacred cows'.

Having issues working out what I am weak to, never mind vs specific threats. Also should I be looking for an earthquake spammer?

Hi there,

Just a quick rate (from a noob :P), but I'd drop Exploud for a Gastradon. That way, you've got a more reliable switch in against Rock Types, who wall 1/2 of your team, and maybe even 2/3 if their part ground (which is quite common). The rest of the team covers Gastradon's weakness nicely and the ghost immunity loss isn't too much of a deal considering you have a Dodrio in the wings.

Have fun and good luck! :)

Hi there,

Just a quick rate (from a noob :P), but I'd drop Exploud for a Gastradon. That way, you've got a more reliable switch in against Rock Types, who wall 1/2 of your team, and maybe even 2/3 if their part ground (which is quite common). The rest of the team covers Gastradon's weakness nicely and the ghost immunity loss isn't too much of a deal considering you have a Dodrio in the wings.

Have fun and good luck! :)
Was just putting together a semi threat list and couldn't believe it when I came to the same conclusion - very lucky rock hadn't cropped up until now. Was debating Exeggutor as an option but I see gastrodon is a great call

Or maybe Poliwrath instead of Dodrio? Waterfall and focus punch could work.

Was just putting together a semi threat list and couldn't believe it when I came to the same conclusion - very lucky rock hadn't cropped up until now. Was debating Exeggutor as an option but I see gastrodon is a great call

Or maybe Poliwrath instead of Dodrio? Waterfall and focus punch could work.
Haha coincedinc? :P

I was thinking about a Dodrio switch but you wanted to get rid of Exploud so meh. :) You might want to try both out, and see which goes better.

Haha coincedinc? :P

I was thinking about a Dodrio switch but you wanted to get rid of Exploud so meh. :) You might want to try both out, and see which goes better.
Yeah, I think practice is the way forward. Blastoise is another that might work there and provides me with similar tanking ability.

Think Gastro may well be the best call but testing here I come!

After another practice run out with blastoise (I already had him EV'd so could practice) his rapid spinning ablity and surf was useful. Registeel was a giant pain even though I had more than enough super effective moves to use on him. Debating getting myself one to fill this niche instead.

EDIT: Should say that my Blastoise trialled was

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold
Surf
Rapid Spin
Toxic
Ice Beam

He did a little damage to registeel and got stuck in a switching/walling match with slowking/registeel to my blastoise/ampharos - blastoise lost to a psychic from slowking who was revenge killed by an extremespeed from arcanine. His main importance was rapidspinning after Claydol had bitten the dust (impressive without any teeth)

In that battle I also discovered the importance of rapid spin when i realised how weak Scyther, Dodrio, Arcanine and Ampharos were to it. Thank God I had two rapid spinners out. Am now very concerned about my weakness to stealth rock. Considering replacing dodrio with sceptile/poliwrath as well as switching exploud for blastoise/gastrodon/exeggutor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)