First Monotype Team

So, I've been wanting to enter a small community mono-type tournament, and thought I'd make my first attempt at a mono-type team with a standard format (5 of the type, 1 wildcard). Because of the type of team this is and the relatively unique threats it faces, I haven't tested it that much but it's done generally well in the few other monotype battles it has been in.

Anyway, here's the team.

Uxie @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/104 Def/152 Spd
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Trick
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn

A trickscarf lead that's also nice and bulky to set the tone of the game. This guy will give me an advantage vs. standard taunt leads like Azelf and Aerodactyl as well as slow, bulky rockers like Hippowdon and Swampert. Ideally he can trick his scarf away, thunder wave the switch-in, then decide whether it's safe to set up rocks or u-turn/switch out.

---

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SpAtk, -Atk)
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Trick
- Psychic

All-purpose revenge killer and wall-screwer with Trick. Surf is preferred for reliability, as nothing sucks worse than having your revenge killer miss leading you to get swept by something dumb like an Infernape. Ice Beam helps me revenge Dragons. I went with psychic to help out vs. gengar and give a neutral stab to hit other faster pokemon that resist water.
---

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/176 Spd/80 SDef
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Substitute

Defensive subCM Latias is a fantastic late-game cleaner, especially with TTar luring out and beating Scizor and taunting bulky phazers that it and this set would get phazed out by like Swampert and Suicune. The defensive EVs give it almost unimaginable special bulk before she starts to CM up while still outspeeding standard DD mence before the DD, making this my general switch-in to any resisted special hit. Even SE hits can be dealt with accordingly early on in setup because of the bulk this set aims for. For example:
Timid Scarf Rotom-H's Shadow Ball vs. +0 Latias: 46.15%-54.95%
Timid LO Gengar's Shadow Ball vs. +0 Latias: 69.78%-82.97%
Timid Scarf Heatran's Fire Blast vs. +0 Latias: 20.05%-23.90%
Timid Scarf Latias' Draco Meteor vs. +1 Latias: 56.64%-66.48%
80 SpAtk Blissey's Ice Beam vs. +1 Latias: 16.48%-19.78%

She has the bulk to overcome most of her normal revengers while still setting up with recover/sub protecting it from status and keeping her in good health. If she comes in on a resisted hit or something that can't threaten her, setup goes without a hitch and she is unbreakable short of a crit, which sub also helps to prevent from happening.
---

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 240 HP/72 Def/36 Spd/160 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Wish
- Body Slam
- Iron Head

This is a pretty standard wish support jirachi focused on spdef over def because most physical threats to Jirachi can be handled by other pokemon on this team. EVs outspeed anything that aims to outspeed jolly ttar by one point, moves are self-explanatory.
---

Tyranitar (M) @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Fire Punch
- Taunt/EQ
- Crunch/Stone Edge

I personally love TTar, it serves as a nice, solid switch-in for most Dark hits and it baits out fighting/ground hits for the rest of the team. It also lures and punishes Scizor with babiri berry+fire punch, which can also give this team a lot of problems. The selection of a good wildcard is probably the most important part of a monotype team, and there is probably quite a few pokemon that could go here that would do better, but so far he has worked well (especially stopping phazers/status with taunt, which most people don't expect). I miss the coverage EQ provides and also miss the power of Stone Edge, but if at all possible I'd like to keep Taunt for the surprise factor of it. If there's something that would better cover my weaknesses, help me figure it out! :)
---

Slowbro (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- HP Electric
- Slack Off
- Surf
- Calm Mind

I needed a physically bulky psychic and didn't like how Cresselia felt because it gave a free pass to setup pokemon like lucario/bulkygyara/etc. HP electric is the magic of this set, because this slowbro is a fantastic lure. 2 things will come out to deal with it: either something that will toxic/trick him, or something that will taunt to prevent status and then set up themselves. With a +1 in spdef, he'll tank hits from both sides and hit back hard with surf against most things with HP electric allowing me to deal with crocune and DDtauntgyara. In particular, this will always ohko standard bulky taunt gyara with rocks up and a +1 from me using CM as gyara switches in.
---

Any opinions will be helpful with this team, but keep in mind it's a monotype team with the limitations that go with that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)