Flavourmons: what if you took the flavor text literally? (no OHKO or Auto-Win effects)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raticate's fang moves (Fire Fang, Super Fang, Hyper Fang, etc.) always OHKO.
That is not very overpowered. Sturdy users would become immune to Raticate's fang moves, and Tyranitar is immune to any attack. With Victini, you can't lose a battle. The former two are solid counters, and the latter 2 are way more OP. Skarmory can roost off all damage and 2HKO with Brave Bird, while Sturdy makes it immune to OHKO moves. So sturdy Skarmory hard counters Raticate. Tyranitar can't really be harmed, and OHKOs with Stone Edge.

Besides, it can't do anything to Sturdy Skarmory.
252+ Atk Raticate Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Skarmory: 118-140 (35.3 - 41.9%) -- 86.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery.
252+ Atk Raticate Flame Wheel vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Skarmory: 78-94 (23.3 - 28.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
0- Atk Skarmory Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raticate: 145-172 (57.7 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Raticate: 279-328 (111.1 - 130.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Latias
X:It communicates using telepathy. Its body is covered in down that refracts light to make it invisible.
Moves against Latias miss 20% of the time,due to the invisble part.

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Ylveltal: When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more.
When it dies, it kills every other Pokemon? What?

Gastrodon
Diamond:
It has a pliable body without any bones. If any part of its body is torn off, it grows right back.
Gastrodon recovers 12.5% of it's HP every turn

Honchkrow
X:
If one utters a deep cry, many Murkrow gather quickly. For this, it is called "Summoner of Night."
When Honchkrow is in battle, 3 Murkrows will use Faint Attack/Wing Attack on the opponent every turn.

Yanmega
Diamond:
By churning its wings, it creates shock waves that inflict critical internal injuries to foes.
Air Slash, Gust, Razor Wind, etc. always crit.

Froslass
Diamond:
It freezes foes with an icy breath nearly -60 degrees F. What seems to be its body is actually hollow.
Ice-type moves have an added 50% chance to freeze the opponent.

Mismagius
Pearl:
It chants incantations. While they usually torment targets, some chants bring happiness.
When Mismagius switches in, the opponent is tormented. However, there is a 5% chance to give them Lucky Chant instead.

Gallade
SoulSilver:
Because it can sense what its foe is thinking, its attacks burst out first, fast, and fierce.
All of Gallade's moves have +1 priority.

Tangrowth
SoulSilver:
Its vines grow so profusely that, in the warm season, you can't even see its eyes.
Regenerator along w/its normal ability.

Probopass
Soulsilver:
It controls three units called Mini-Noses using magnetic force. With them, it can attack the foe from three directions.
Probopass' attacks hit 3 extra times for 25% damage each extra hut.

Hippowdon
Pearl:
Its huge mouth is almost seven feet across. It has enough power to completely crush a car.
Strong Jaw along w/its normal ability.

all of weavile's flavor text have something about either their group coordination or their clawing signs into things, so... though claws and telepathy?

Gastrodon
Diamond:
It has a pliable body without any bones. If any part of its body is torn off, it grows right back.
Gastrodon recovers 12.5% of it's HP every turn
Or just give it Regenerator.
Honchkrow
X:
If one utters a deep cry, many Murkrow gather quickly. For this, it is called "Summoner of Night."
When Honchkrow is in battle, 3 Murkrows will use Faint Attack/Wing Attack on the opponent every turn.

Probopass

Soulsilver:
It controls three units called Mini-Noses using magnetic force. With them, it can attack the foe from three directions.
Probopass' attacks hit 3 extra times for 25% damage each extra hut.
I think these should just be Parrental Bond clones, with only one extra hit.
Froslass
Diamond: It freezes foes with an icy breath nearly -60 degrees F. What seems to be its body is actually hollow.
Ice-type moves have an added 50% chance to freeze the opponent.
Shouldn't it just apply to Frost Breath?
Mismagius
Pearl: It chants incantations. While they usually torment targets, some chants bring happiness.
When Mismagius switches in, the opponent is tormented. However, there is a 5% chance to give them Lucky Chant instead.
It wouldn't be spouting out random chants and accidentally give the opponent something beneficial. It would be either cursing the opponent or blessing it's own team. So giving it a 50/50 chance to use Torment or Lucky Chant, upon switching in would be a better fit.

Or just give it Regenerator.

I think these should just be Parrental Bond clones, with only one extra hit.

Shouldn't it just apply to Frost Breath?

It wouldn't be spouting out random chants and accidentally give the opponent something beneficial. It would be either cursing the opponent or blessing it's own team. So giving it a 50/50 chance to use Torment or Lucky Chant, upon switching in would be a better fit.
Oh, thank you for those ideas. I forgot about Frost Breath woops

Glaceon
Diamond:
As a protective technique, it can completely freeze its fur to make its hairs stand like needles.
Rough skin (Does it do 6.25%?)

Dodrio
Gold:
It collects data and plans three times as wisely, but it may think too much and become immobilized.
Dodrio has a 10% chance to do nothing on a turn.

Qwilfish
Y: The small spikes covering its body developed from scales. They inject a toxin that causes fainting.
Fell Stinger, Poison Sting, and Pin Missile instantly make the opponent faint, unless they are Steel-type, Poison-type, or have Poison Heal.

Houndoom
Y: The flames it breathes when angry contain toxins. If they cause a burn, it will hurt forever.
Fire-type moves cause a burn that cannot be cured

Greninja
X: it creates throwing stars out of compressed water. When it spins them and throws them at high speed, these stars can split metal in two.

water shuriken gets a SE hit on steels

Clefable:
Y:
A timid fairy Pokémon that is rarely seen, it will run and hide the moment it senses people.
Clefable always has Timid at the same time as its other nature. When a Pokemon in the Human egg group switches in, Clefable will be forced out.

Yeah, chaos should keep track off everything found and put it in the OP, and everything found should be put in the PiratePad list found here.

As far as knowing what action the foe will take, I propose that it function like normal battling, only, once your opponent chooses what action he/she will do, you will know what it is.

Last edited:
Also, you may want to ban Yveltal.

X: "When this legendary pokemon's wings and tail feathers spread wide and glow red, it absorbs the life force of all living creatures."Y: "When it's life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cacoon once more."

Yveltal isn't too OP if pokemon in pokeballs are immune to that. Tyranitar (immune to all attacks), Victini (you auto-win if you choose Victini), and Volcarona (I'll explain later this post) make it seem not very OP then.

Black: When volcanic ash darkened the atmosphere, it is said that Volcarona's fire provided a replacement for the sun.
When Volcarona uses a fire-type move, all other pokemon have their accuracy immensely lowered (-3).

Jirachi:
Emerald: JIRACHI is said to make wishes come true. While it sleeps, a tough crystalline shell envelops the body to protect it from enemies.

If Jirachi is asleep it gains +1 Def and SpDef.

Zapdos:
Emerald: ZAPDOS is a legendary bird POKéMON that has the ability to control electricity. It usually lives in thunderclouds. It gains power if it is stricken by lightning bolts.

If Zapdos is hit by Thundershock, Thunderbolt, or Thunder it gains +1 Atk and +1 SpAtk.

Dusclops:
Sapphire: DUSCLOPS absorbs anything, however large the object may be. This POKéMON hypnotizes its foe by waving its hands in a macabre manner and by bringing its single eye to bear. The hypnotized foe is made to do DUSCLOPS's bidding.

Dusclops is immune to any attack that involves launching a projectile at it, such as Shadow Ball or Energy Ball. Also, every turn there is a 10% chance it confuses the enemy Pokemon.

Dialga:
Y: It has the power to control time. It appears in Sinnoh-region myths as an ancient deity.

Every turn, there is a 10% chance Dialga goes first, regardless of Speed.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
I would love to play this when it comes out, but it would need a LOT of research.
And there would really need to be a reference guide.

Sharpedo

"It can swim at speeds of 75 mph by jetting seawater through its body. It is the bandit of the sea."

OK, but if we check Rapidash's flavor text:

"It gallops at nearly 150 mph. With its mane blazing ferociously, it races as if it were an arrow."

Therefore, Sharpedo needs to be either half as fast as Rapidash, or Rapidash needs to be twice the speed of Sharpedo. I think Speed Boost is also out.
If this sentiment has been mentioned already then sorry for the redundancy, but I feel like the whole issue with speed is overblown.

Like, yeah, a certain Pokemon may be able to fly Mach II. But that doesn't mean it should necessarily have a high speed stat or Speed Boost or whatever, given in a battling context speed is more agility and reflexes than topspeed.

Take a human versus a housefly. We can run way, way faster than a fly can, well, fly; the topspeed of the average housefly is something like 4.5 mph, less than half of what an in-shape sprinter can go. But that sprinter isn't gonna have an easy time killing that fly. Pokemon isn't a race, it's a battle, and in a close-quarters battle it doesn't matter if Rapidash can run 150 mph.

(STOP HAVING FUN GUYS.)

Jirachi:
Zapdos:
Emerald: ZAPDOS is a legendary bird POKéMON that has the ability to control electricity. It usually lives in thunderclouds. It gains power if it is stricken by lightning bolts.

If Zapdos is hit by Thundershock, Thunderbolt, or Thunder it gains +1 Atk and +1 SpAtk.
Zapdos has Lightningrod, however unreleased.

Should Qwilfish be banned?

Okay, if we're going to make this work we need to do some serious balancing, some serious structuring, and some serious revision. How about instead of picking and choosing what flavor text we like the best, we choose one generation from which we'll get all the flavor text from? We also definitely need a specific order of doing this, we can't just skip around from pokemon to pokemon. We should do one regional dex at a time. My suggestion is a team of people starts in the kanto reigion and gets through it completely using X & Y flavor text (or at least choose just one or two games to get the flavor text from) and gradually progresses through the regions from there. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Okay, if we're going to make this work we need to do some serious balancing, some serious structuring, and some serious revision. For starters, how about instead of picking and choosing what flavor text we like the best, we choose one generation from which we'll get all the flavor text from? We also definitely need a specific order of doing this, we can't just skip around from pokemon to pokemon. We should do one national dex at a time. My suggestion is a team of people starts in the kanto reigion and get through it completely using X & Y flavor text (or at least choose just one or two games to get the flavor text from) and gradually progress through the regions from there. Thoughts?
If you think that all Pokemon should use the same gen of flavor, I think not. I believe that the logical standpoint for that is that each Pokemon gets one or two entries balenced from its native region's dex.

If you think that all Pokemon should use the same gen of flavor, I think not. I believe that the logical standpoint for that is that each Pokemon gets one or two entries balenced from its native region's dex.
I agree with this, as quite a few of the XY entries are just rehashed entries from older games, and the older games have better flavor for these purposes IMO.

That sounds good. It's also really important that we make everything balanced. We don't want to end up with a pseudo hackmons... I think it'd be best to keep the OHKO moves, invulnerabilities, ect to a minimum. Despite there being counters, we want it to be a creative meta where fun is encouraged, not one where you're forced to run a skarmory to counter raticate or run a steel type to counter quilfish. I feel like there should be a looseness and balance. Unless we're making multiple different tiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)